What was your "revelation" beer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by JackRWatkins, Jul 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Defender (664) Nov 3, 2014 Alabama

What was your "revelation" beer? the beer that sold you on craft or that beer could be more that cheap swill.
    personally mine was gulden draak but I'd like to hear what it was for others

2. costanzo_mike

costanzo_mike Meyvn (1,214) Jul 17, 2014 Massachusetts

I'd had a good deal of craft brews over the years but I have to say FW PNC Imperial Buckwheat Stout was THE beer that tossed me into the craft world head first. Was visiting San Fran and a friend of a friend recommended going to this beer bar called Toronado (you may have heard of it :wink:) specifically to try that beer. I did as he instructed and never looked back. I owe him big time haha.

3. JackRWatkins

that's a cool one, sadly we don't get firestone walker in the south but i have had wookey jack and i loved it

4. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Red Hook IPA. Years & years ago...

Brolo75 and ChuckHardslab like this.
  5. JackRWatkins

haven't had it, is it a west coast, east or english

MUTINY likes this.
  6. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Aspirant (232) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia

Guinness. No, it's not a craft beer. But 20 years ago, it stood out from the pack. Way out.

DegenErik, Brolo75, jborg and 11 others like this.
  7. MUTINY

MUTINY Meyvn (1,118) Feb 6, 2015 Virginia

Can't recall, it's been so long...
    :slight_smile:

Edit: Actually I seem to remember it being pretty thick & piney.

8. JackRWatkins

no guinness is still a distinctive beer, a good one too, it's definitely different in the macro world

9. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,839) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Samuel Smith's Ole Brewery Pale Ale

First had it in the early 1990s, and while I didn't really get into "craft" beer until 2012, SSOBPA still deserves the credit for teaching me that the beer isn't just beer.

10. costanzo_mike

Would be happy to send you a nice little mix of Firestone stuff (Pivo Pils, 319, Union Jack, Double Jack, Easy Jack other shelf FW) if you can help me cross off Alabama or some other southern states on my quest to try the 50 states!

11. JackRWatkins

sure man i'd be happy to, we have some good stuff here for sure, do you have some from this state you'd be interested in or do you not really know of any in the area?

12. costanzo_mike

Don't know the lay of the beer landscape all too well so I'd be happy to take your suggestions. I'll PM you

13. JackRWatkins

okay sounds good

14. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 New York

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Harpoon IPA were two of the early ones to get me swaying away from macro, HF Edward was like an absolute epiphany for me though, everything changed after that.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  15. JackRWatkins

I love sierra nevada pale ale, it is a straight up classic

16. StrappingYoungLad

StrappingYoungLad Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2013 Indiana

I had had a few craft beers in college, and was initially introduced to loving beer via Guinness and a trip to Germany...but one night a buddy of mine snuck in a bomber of Arrogant Bastard to my dorm room, and I could not believe it. So different...I didn't even necessarily LIKE it at the time, it was just such a leap that I realized I HAD to find out more about this stuff. Five years and over 1,000 beers later...I still far prefer Double Bastard by far and I for one loved the Southern Charred/Crime/Punishment run...but every time I have straight-up Arrogant, nice and fresh, it just feels like discovering crazy flavorful beer all over again.

h4ger and JackRWatkins like this.
  17. h4ger

h4ger Devotee (469) Feb 5, 2011 Connecticut

I used to think Sam Adams was the KING ...of the grocery store I learned! I am not exactly sure of "The One" but I found Sierra Nevada and Brooklyn and I was off. I then found Stone and North Coast and the quest began. My local store started a "Mix-a-Six" program and Victory appeared....I have tried so many beers from that program it is amazing. (Many are diamonds in the rough(Clown Shoes, Jacks Abby, Ithaca, Narragansett Autocrat)...Many i am glad I got only one for a buck! (No names) Would I have bought a whole six of Festina Peche or King Midas? Probably not...After the single sample though...YES. With the costs these days, mix a six programs are great...sucks losing $10 or more on a bad beer.
    As with women, there are so many it is mind boggling and I want to sample them all....but there is always an old favorite to come home to.

18. Kappakoosh

Kappakoosh Disciple (314) Dec 26, 2013 Texas

Arrogant Bastard was my epiphany.

19. VTMLB

VTMLB Initiate (0) Jul 2, 2015 Vermont

Pete's Wicked Ale. Wondering if people will remember it. Anywho....I also have to add Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and the Sammy Smiths Nut Brown and Oatmeal Stout. Earlier 90's....lol

20. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,294) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

While not my first "craft" beers by any stretch, Darkness and Even More Jesus were probably the ones that opened my eyes to the fact that there was a whole other dimension to be explored.

21. JackRWatkins

that's cool, i haven't had a lot from evil twin but what i have had i liked

22. sbh50

sbh50 Initiate (109) Feb 6, 2015 Ohio

Nice! Same here dude! It's still one of my favorites. I was blown away when I tried it. Of course up to that point, the best I probably had was some kind of Sam Adams seasonal.

23. JackRWatkins

yeah i think it was probably in one of the first ten beers i ever tried, I think i was (gasp) 18 at the time

sbh50 likes this.
  24. elektrikjester

Straight to Ale makes some fine beer, as does Good People.

JackRWatkins likes this.
  25. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

For me, probably Flying Dog Raging Bitch or Stone Arrogant Bastard.

26. JackRWatkins

I threw out the cab barrel laika as an example

elektrikjester likes this.
  27. Das_Reh

Das_Reh Disciple (325) Mar 25, 2013 Florida

Two Hearted Ale

28. JackRWatkins

I don't mean this in a bad way at all but i'm not at all surprised that arrogant bastard is it for so many people

StrappingYoungLad likes this.
  29. JackRWatkins

bells makes excellent beer for sure

beersnobraven likes this.
  30. beersnobraven

beersnobraven Initiate (0) Jul 12, 2014 Illinois

Yeah, I totally get that. It's cheap, widely available, and different from your average macro brew.

31. deadsincebirth

deadsincebirth Initiate (136) Jul 24, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Schlafly TIPA and Stone IPA. 02/14/14. Drank craft beer off and on but after drinking those two beers and the magic of the night I never turned back

32. JackRWatkins

stone ipa is a classic took me a long time to get around to trying it but i was glad i did

GuitarIPA likes this.
  33. Benjo87

Benjo87 Initiate (124) Dec 27, 2014 Australia

La chouffe and Duvel were the two.

34. JackRWatkins

I love duvel, never actually bought la chouffe

BuffaloBrasky likes this.
  35. elektrikjester

Cab Barrel Laika is insane. I should have bought more when I had the opportunity.

Intensely jammy notes on top of an amazing base stout. I thought it tasted like chocolate cherry cordial.

36. JackRWatkins

yeah i think im gonna cellar a few bottles when it's back in the fall

37. Benish

Benish Meyvn (1,085) Mar 13, 2013 Wisconsin
    Trader

Dogfish Head 90 Minute. A friend brought it into Wisconsin before it was ever distributed there. Oh my it was delicious.

GuitarIPA likes this.
  38. JackRWatkins

we don't get 90 minute in al but whenever i can i get it, it is truly an exceptional beer and a great start

GuitarIPA likes this.
  39. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (336) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

Celis White. It was 1992 and I was at pub in downtown Austin. The owner of the bar was one of my customers and he introduced me to Pierre Celis who was there promoting his brand new brewery. I then tried some samples and absolutely loved the Celis White and Grand Cru. I had never tasted beers like those before and I was hooked.

brettski66, VTMLB and JackRWatkins like this.
  40. BingCrosby7

BingCrosby7 Initiate (169) Jun 8, 2013 California
    Trader

I went to BevMo and asked the clerk to give me two beers that would change the way I thought about beer (I didn't even really know the term craft beer, but I knew there was good beer out there). He gave me Lost Abbey's Judgement Day and AleSmith's Wee Heavy. It was like seeing color for the first time lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.