What's a brewin. December (2018)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GormBrewhouse, Dec 1, 2018.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

today, white spruce ale with 1 qt white spruce tips harvested today. First time brewing with dec tips, soooooo we will see.

premierpro, Eggman20, Hanglow and 7 others like this.
  2. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

A pilsner using a pseudo-decoction method. Boiled 1/2 of the grain with about 1/3 of the water for 30 minutes, then joined it with the rest of the water and grain, followed by a regular mash. Half 2-row, half pilsner malt, Perle and Premiant hops for 50 minutes, Saaz for 5 minutes. Ferment at 48 F until 4 points from FG, keg it and use a spunding valve to carbonate it naturally. It just reached peak fermentation and the krausen is starting to drop. Will keg in about a day, but leave it at 48 F for at least a week before dropping to near freezing temperature. First time using pseudo-decoction (I have done regular decoction several times) and first time using a spunding valve. Why decoction? I'm one of the few who still believe it makes a significant difference in taste, and actually gives me the key taste that I like most in lagers.

3. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,326) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Brewing a California Common today. Standard recipe, NB hops, and WLP 810. Nothing fancy.

4. i_still_like_beer

i_still_like_beer Initiate (31) Nov 21, 2018 New Jersey

last night brewed a dry Irish Stout. Still waiting for WLP004 to take off :grimacing:

premierpro, Hanglow, Buck89 and 3 others like this.
  5. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Getting ready to mash in overnight for a rye porter.

premierpro, Eggman20, Hanglow and 6 others like this.
  6. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Kolsch V5
    70% Weyermann Pale
    30% Best Heidelberg
    Touch of Acidulated
    130 -> 145 -> Decoction -> 162 -> 168
    Magnum/Tett/Spalt

Imperial Tartan @ 58

Yeast is odd I know but I can’t figure out the traditional Kolsch yeasts

7. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (367) May 2, 2006 Utah

Good luck with the stout. I just wanted to say your avatar made me laugh! Cheers!

8. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (367) May 2, 2006 Utah

You last statement is interesting. Care to elaborate? I've only made two Kolsch style beers. The first, with the Wyeast version, came out quite nice: clean with a bit of frutiness after some cold conditioning. The second, made with the White Labs Kolsch yeast, I overhopped with Belma, but aside for too much bitterness, it was also quite clean with a hint of frutiness. Cheers!

premierpro and GormBrewhouse like this.
  9. Hanglow

Hanglow Crusader (751) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

Bottled a strong ale today, continued my habit of combining german and english malts.

92.3% Crisp Extra Pale MO
    7.7% IREKS Teak ( this is a dark crystal, 140ebc0 Not used it before)

hops- Admiral bittering 50g@ 60mins
    25g admiral 15 mins
    25g Admiral 5 mins
    20g Homegrown hallertau mittelfruh 5 mins.

about 50ibus in total

og 1.062 fg1.016

just s04yeast, two packets for 24 litres or so

managed to cock up the temp control, it rose to 27c after two days thanks to a probe falling out :slight_frown: thankfully tasted and smelled fine when bottling. in fact,very promising.

last 100ml or so of bottling bucket
    [​IMG]

Lukass, premierpro, OldBrewer and 5 others like this.
  10. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (343) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewing a witbier in a couple days. Changing things up a little, as I have not been totally happy with my past wits. Using orange extract in place of peels/ zest, hopping with a little Amarillo at the end of boil, going light on coriander, adding a little Carahell, and might throw a little citric acid in the boil.

11. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (433) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Kolsch right now, using Hallertau Blanc as late and whirlpool hopping. Recipe otherwise the same as my first Kolsch, which was incredible. Never used this hop before, excited to see what it offers. Smooth brewday, chilling down to 58F at the moment.

12. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

With a little help of the cold temps in my garage I’m gonna try brewing up extract lagers and cold fermented ales. Kinda a throwback of when I first started but with a little help from an insulated brew bag and a ferm wrap. I’ve got a Pils DME/Pale DME fermenting away with T-58 yeast/ Idaho 7 hops.

Brewing up a Red Rye DIPA w/ Centennial/Chinook/Cryo Simcoe. Using MJ New World Strong Ale yeast.

13. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

Update: I racked it into a keg last night, and attached the spunding valve. It was quite murky, since a lot of the yeast was still in suspension. The Gravity was at 1.016, or about 7 points before FG, rather than 4 points, but I didn't want to risk it going too low by the morning, and I wasn't sure that the FG would drop to 1.009. I pressurized the keg somewhat to get rid of any O2, and today the pressure is holding rather steady at about 17 psi. I'm planning to leave it at 48 F for perhaps another week before lowering the temperature very slowly to about 40 F. Then I plan to crash it to just over freezing and leave it to lager for another couple of weeks. Using this spunding process, there will be a LOT of sediment, but it will almost be entirely yeast. Thus I will toss the first liter or so after it has lagered enough. What is enough? I'll likely try it long before it is ready lagering :stuck_out_tongue:. Human nature!

#13 OldBrewer, Dec 2, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    Supergenious, Hanglow, Buck89 and 4 others like this.
  14. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (225) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Ordinary bitter today :grin:

MO, medium and dark crystals, target fwh, ekg at 10 and flameout. Wyeast 1968

Cheers

Lukass, premierpro, Hanglow and 6 others like this.
  15. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (68) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

10 gal of 1.065 OG New England Style IPA burblin' away with some Conan yeast. First time with the Conan, it seems to be ripping through quick. 1oz citra dh as gravity is now at 1.020. Might add the rest in the morning (2oz mosaic, 2 oz citra 1 oz amarillo to each fermenter) to ensure I have some yeast activity to scrub O2 before a slow temp ramp down...

Need a win in the IPA department - have had some duffers lately!

Prep8611, Lukass, PortLargo and 8 others like this.
  16. Maestro0708

Ordinary bitter became a best bitter. Still trying to dial in everything now that I'm milling my own grain and getting killer efficiency. Really smooth brew day today.

Prep8611, premierpro, Hanglow and 5 others like this.
  17. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (51) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Was able to get a 10 gallon bourbon barrel from a local distillery on short notice so had to brew up a double batch of an imperial stout. 2-row, marris otter, uk extra dark crystal, uk roasted barley and uk black malt with a some flaked barley as well. Hopped with Centennial, Willamette, and UK Fuggles and fermenting with some harvested 1056 from a brown ale. Brewing two batches in a day is a lot of work! Everything went pretty well with some efficient mashes so should be between 12.5-13% abv.

18. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

I used wlp029 or its Imperial equivalent for the first two gos. Just really didn’t like the esters I got from it. I used 2565 a few times last summer and could never get it to clear regardless of how long I lagered it. I don’t feel like fining my beers so I stopped using it. Would love to try 2575 one of these days. Interested to see what Scottish Ale brings st low temps. The fact that it clears quickly is also a big plus.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  19. i_still_like_beer

thanks man. the yeast has taken off like a rocket!

Hanglow, riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  20. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Threw a American Amber together.2row caraamber c-60 choc rye vienna

[​IMG]

riptorn, Hanglow, skleice and 2 others like this.
  21. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (239) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

Brewed up 10 gallons of ESB Saturday. Finished with 1 oz Fuggle and 1 oz EKG at five min. Fermented five gallons with WLP 013 and five with WLP028.

Hanglow, skleice and riptorn like this.
  22. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Brewing 6 gallons of Flanders Red today. Using some aged hops, a bunch of weyermann malts (pils, munich, wheat, vienna) along with some caramunich and aromatic malt. ECY02 Flanders Ale blend

23. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (261) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

I came up with an idea to brew a beer on Winter Solstice this year and call it my Winter Stoltzfus. A fellow brew club member suggested to brew a stout using whoopie pies to keep it in The Amish "tradition." Thinking that we will brew every Winter and Summer Stoltzfus and change up the style and recipe each time using local Amish and Mennonite ingredients.

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  24. i_still_like_beer

how are you going to do that?

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  25. jimboothdesigns

Most likely through some whoopie pies in at flameout and maybe some during secondary. Still tweaking the recipe. Lots of Amish sell and make them in our area and will most likely go with the traditional pie.

26. i_still_like_beer

so are you just going to put it in a hop bag or hop spider and toss it in whole? This is basically chocolate, marshmallow, and cookie right? Not criticizing just curious...

jimboothdesigns likes this.
  27. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (162) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Brewing up a Simcoe Azacca thing

12,5 liter
    OG: 1.069
    ~60 IBU

10% Flaked oat

15 g Cryo Simcoe, 60 min
    10 g Cryo Simcoe, 5 min
    20 g Azacca, 5 min
    20 g Cryo Simcoe, WP
    40 g Azacca, WP
    20 g Cryo Simcoe and 40 g Azacca, dry

MrOH, NorCalKid, riptorn and 2 others like this.
  28. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Adding ferment hops, citra, to homegrown ipa#2. Still looking at the polish prairie water with the belle saison yeast. Yep it's still working.

NorCalKid, riptorn and Eggman20 like this.
  29. skleice

skleice Aspirant (247) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Bottling up my gluten free Fort Point Pale Ale clone. Split batch 1/2 Citra, 1/2 Mosaic.

30. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (435) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

Just corked my Belgian Dubbel which will be given away as Christmas presents. A couple of swing-tops tagged along for the "quality control" department. I'll be twisting cages tonight till . . .

[​IMG]

Buck89, Naugled, NorCalKid and 9 others like this.
  31. jimboothdesigns

Going into a bag. It's going to be a mess. Just a guess. Ha!

VikeMan likes this.
  32. invertalon

Kegging my Kolsch I brewed on Sunday. FFT came in yesterday at 1.008 and the actual FG of the beer an hour ago was 1.011. Perfect timing. Will be spunded to proper carb and lagered until my Pils kicks, which should be 3-4 weeks I'd bet.

33. Lukass

Lukass Savant (935) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

No room left in the kegs for my Norwegian Stout (hornindal kveik) and American stout (us-05), so I bottled both batches, and now have over 100 bottles to hold me over for a while :grin:

Both had a solid bittering charge with chinook so these could use a little bit of time to mellow out in bottles.

34. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

Whoopie Pie! What in the f*** is that? Upon further research and analysis on the internet. It’s a ding dong. Right?

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  35. invertalon

Kind of... But of course, think more "homemade" versus a heavily processed product. So the cookie has more heft and texture, more brownie like (but not as sweet) and the fillings can vary sweetness. Whoopie pies are great!

For those not familiar with the Penn Dutch treats, a Shoofly Pie is the real star there! Think Pecan pie without the pecans, served warm with whip cream. Heavenly!

NorCalKid and riptorn like this.
  36. Kamikazehops

Kamikazehops Initiate (34) Feb 23, 2018 Texas

Justed brewed a Chocolate Peppermint Porter yesterday.

I think by the end of the month im going to try out an Oreo Milk Stout. Haven't decided whether to mash in Oreos or rack into a secondary after primary fermentation (Currently fermenting in corny kegs)

37. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Brewing a Lithuanian beer? Got Omega “Jovaru” and will be using 95% 2row, 5% Vienna. Hopping with saaz and styrian goldings juidiciously. Not measuring shit. Just winging it like Lithuania brewers might. Pitching at 80 and calling it a day. Wish me luck but I won’t need it! Can’t miss OG if you don’t know what it’s supposed to be or measure it.
    I just need to fill a keg before I have to buy beer. I’m super strapped on time New baby and working a ton while wife is on leave.

MrOH, Lukass, frozyn and 6 others like this.
  38. Maestro0708

Congrats on the new baby. That sounds like a fun and tasty beer. Cheers

39. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Thanks man, glad I got this in.... with a two year old and a new born I NEED beer.

Buck89, Eggman20, Maestro0708 and 3 others like this.
  40. calir1

calir1 Aspirant (213) Nov 7, 2004 Maryland
    Trader

Brewed a Hefeweizen but then tossed in imperial yeast sour batch kids. Looks like it’s going to be a Belgian sour Hefeweizen. Curious how the sour will do with about 9 IBU

Buck89, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.