What's Brewing - April '17 Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by scottakelly, Apr 1, 2017.

1. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (475) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Just wrapped up a “kitchen sink” British bitter. I have some harvested S-04 in the fridge and thought I would get it going again with a low gravity ale. English pale ale malt, extra dark crystal, crystal 30, rolled oats, and dark brown sugar. Will be a bit on the dark side, around 13 SRM. Czech Premiant bittering hops with EKGs at 20 and flameout for 32 IBUs.

Lukass, SABERG, StupidlyBrave and 2 others like this.
  2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (261) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Tommorrow, another attempt at a lager, if time permits, also, a citra IPA.

3. zimm421

zimm421 Savant (973) Jan 24, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I'm in the middle of working on a (hopefully) spontaneously fermented beer. Plan to cool overnight with lows around 36 F in Columbus. Just finished up the psuedo-turbid mash; lautering as I type, and have a 4 hour boil to go after this. 65% Pilsner, 15% white wheat, 15% flaked oats and 5% aromatic, with some aged hops I've saved from previous batches.

4. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

5. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,074) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

Getting three starters going now for brewday next weekend. 50:50 Pils and wheat malt to 1.048.

15 gallons total
    5 gallons of traditional Weissbier
    5 gallons of Witbier with lemon & blueberry
    5 gallons of Kolsch with habanero

6. SABERG

SABERG Meyvn (1,445) Sep 16, 2007 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

Tomorrow is the Annual April Saison brew
    Starter is established, using, Saaz, and Amirillo hops
    with dried Kumquat in the whirlpool

Cheers

7. brunascle

brunascle Initiate (144) Nov 4, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber

Just brewed a Galaxy & Simcoe NE IPA with 1318.

8. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Disciple (304) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Currently brewing a pilsner (pilsner malt, perle hops, WLP800). I forgot to buy acid at the LHBS and I don't want to up the minerals too much, so my mash pH is going to be a little high. In a stroke of genius, or stupidity, I decided to crushed up a vitamin C tablet (1 gram) and throw it in to help lower the pH and for science. Time will tell whether I have a pilsner or shandy.

9. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,587) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Kegged a Belgian pale ale today. The hydrometer sample suggested this is going to be deliciously balanced beer, with breadiness, and a touch of banana and spice. There is a little sweetness which I'm guessing will be tamed by carbonation.

10. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,013) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Racking my pilsner over to secondary and an oz of saaz, bottling up my DDH juicy bits clone. Juicy bits aroma is out of control, 0.6 oz of mosaic citra and el dorado per addition, four additions. That's 7.2 oz total. Whoa.

11. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (146) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Just bottled my IPA. Will be interesting to see how it turns out, first time doing the dry hop.

12. jmich24

jmich24 Zealot (553) Jan 28, 2010 Michigan

Brewed 10 gallons of Oatmeal Stout with a buddy this afternoon. Smooth brewday. Enjoyed a couple homebrews along with a 16' and 17' KBS. Cheers.

13. phideltashaggy

phideltashaggy Aspirant (251) Jul 3, 2010 Tennessee

I've got a floral IPA fermenting in the primary, about to switch over to secondary for dryhopping and clearing.

14. Gsulliv2

Gsulliv2 Initiate (161) Dec 9, 2014 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Just brewed my take on the averagely perfect northeast IPA. Upped the honey malt to about 5.5%.

15. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (151) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Modified Pale ale using Fawcett optic malt for the first time.

[​IMG]

16. Naugled

Naugled Crusader (730) Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

I have two beers working this month.

I have a single hop IPA/PA going with all Michigan Copper hops about 10oz in 6 gal. They seem like they will be very nice hops, I get tons of cantaloupe and honeydew and fruit punch from them so far.

I also have a flower powerish type ipa in the fermenter now that I brewed over the weekend.

17. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,076) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Brewed up a nice hazy NE IPA on Saturday. Citra, CTZ, Simcoe, Vienna, dark Wheat, Flaked Oats, Carastan, Carapils, Acid malt, sugar, Calcium Chloride, and West Yorkshire 1469. Gravity sample was nice and hazy. 73 calculated IBUs (accounting for Whirlpool), 6.4% (estimated) ABV. Give her 1.5 weeks to get done, pull yeast, and then add the dryhops. Should be drinking by Easter.

Also kegged up the Saison from 2 weeks ago. Did half straight, force carbed overnight, drinking by Sunday. The other half got a hit of Orval dregs in a starter and will sit warm in the garage for a couple months before seeing the tap. Wife is really impressed with the taste of the straight and has requested a rebrew already. Will happen on Ntl Homebrew Day in May.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#17 jbakajust1, Apr 3, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
  18. brunascle

Subscriber

Despite being a moderate 1.063, the NE IPA I brewed on Saturday took off like a rocket and I needed to hook up a blow off tube on Sunday. When I got home late Monday night I found that the gallon of sanitizer it was blowing off into almost completely emptied into the large pot it was sitting in. Not sure exactly what happened but the walls, ceiling, and carpet were all dry, so no biggie.

19. Gsulliv2

Beer Trader

I also did a new england IPA and the yeast took off like a rocket (Wyeast 1318). what did you use? I underfilled an 8 gallon bucket (about 4 gallons) so there was no huge risk of blowoff, but I was still surprised how much activity there was ~9 hours after pitching.

20. brunascle

Subscriber

Also Wyeast 1318. I overfilled a 6.9 gallon bucket to about 5.75-6 gallons. But I used fermcap so I wasn't expecting to need a blowoff. When I took off the lid to drop in the first dry hops it occurred to me that the 3 piece airlock sticks down about an inch or 2 below the lid, so it didn't need much krausen before it started coming up the airlock.

SFACRKnight likes this.
  21. carolinabeerguy

carolinabeerguy Savant (917) Oct 10, 2005 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

[​IMG] Brewed a NE style pale on Sunday.

10 lbs Pale 2 Row
    2 lbs flaked oats

Apollo (60 minutes)
    Citra and Mosaic (whirlpool/dry hopping)

22. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (366) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewing a Citra pale ale with golden promise and WY1272 in the next few days. Really craving some Citra lately, been too long since I used any.

Also, going to start building up a starter with Oberon dregs in hopes of a Oberon like brew in the near future.

23. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (68) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Smoked Baltic Porter

[​IMG]

24. Lukass

Lukass Savant (910) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Showing some friends how to brew in 2 weeks. Doing a cascade IPA, since I've got 14 oz of cascade pellets from my cousin's farm. I'm leaning towards golden promise, oats and a bit of carapils. Columbus for bittering and hitting it hard with cascade for late additions/flameout/dry hop. Gonna try out imperial organic yeast's A24 dry hop blend. I've always wanted to try a strain from these guys.

25. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,074) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

A little Columbus late in the game never hurt anybody either :slight_smile:

26. CarolusP

CarolusP Initiate (73) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Bottled the Averagely Perfect NE IPA last night. I succumbed to a temptation to add 4 oz of lactose at bottling for a little extra body. It smells amazing.

[​IMG]

27. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (679) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

American Wheat with Prickly Pear Juice now that I have room in my cold storage facility :slight_smile:

28. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (146) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Accelerating my brew day some. From what was going to be end of the month to now. Brewing something weird. Wanted a dark yet strong ale. 2 row, rye, dark crystals, and a little debittered dark black malt and earth hops. Not sure it will turn out good, but just something I am trying.

End of month brew day still might happen. Looking at a Imperial Breakfast Stout with oak spirals, but am still trying to plan that out.

GormBrewhouse and SFACRKnight like this.
  29. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (481) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Have to rack my Rye Imperial Stout to a keg for a few months of aging. Still deciding if I should split into two kegs and add cold brew coffee (and perhaps vanilla) to one later on closer to tap time.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  30. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (31) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Mashing in on an English Porter. Maris Otter, brown malt and a little black patent. 23ibu. It will be the first thing on tap in the keezer I'm building.

31. Wxbrewer

Wxbrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2017 Massachusetts

Brewed a Wheat Ale on Friday with Wyeast 1010. Will be adding blueberry extract just before kegging in about 5 weeks. First time doing a fruit beer but the Mrs. requested it so I obliged :slight_smile:

GormBrewhouse and scottakelly like this.
  32. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Disciple (346) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Kegged my first attempt at a NEIPA & brewed a cream ale today.

scottakelly and GormBrewhouse like this.
  33. brunascle

Subscriber

Just kegged a Galaxy & Simcoe NE IPA. This is a re-brew from about a year ago, and it's really good. This gives the AP NE IPA a run for its money.

I got a bit more out of this batch than I was expecting and overfilled the keg. I remembered hearing that you're not supposed to fill past the gas dip tube, but couldn't remember why so I kept on filling. And now as I watch beer flowing through the gas tubing toward the CO2 tank, I understand why. Live and learn.

34. CADETS3

CADETS3 Aspirant (231) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Brewed 10 gallons of my honey blonde ale after not brewing for 4 months. Had to dust off some cobwebs off the electrical system, but got it done. Had pretty much a stuck mash and slow sparge. First time using my barley crusher and I milled the grain through twice at a .037" spacing. What spacing are you guys setting your mill to?

GormBrewhouse and scottakelly like this.
  35. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (261) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I feel sick,,,,,,, better call in for a sick day,,,,,,,

Double batch brew day, yahooooo. First Irish stout, second star anise/vanilla stout.

It's good to be sick

Lukass, SFACRKnight, Wxbrewer and 2 others like this.
  36. brchapman

brchapman Initiate (136) Nov 18, 2014 Georgia

Brewed an Altbier, kegged a Hefe, and planted a couple hop rhysomes!

37. Gsulliv2

Beer Trader

Just finished primary (and the 70% fermentation dryhop step) and yesterday kegged with 2 ounces (for about 3-3.5 gallons) of galaxy for 4-5 days before carbing.

This batch came out great (third try with moderate tweaks here and there). the taste (so far) is still bitter, huge green hops. I'll need to be more precise with my first dry hopping addition to make sure it really was at 70% and not further along. the Wyeast 1318 flew through this beer in about 2 days.

Edit: there was a picture I tried to post but I clearly have no idea how to do it...

GormBrewhouse and Wxbrewer like this.
  38. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (116) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

That's what I brewed yesterday as well! Planning to put 4lbs of Blueberries after I move it to a secondary. This is my second fruit beer as I did a 1 gallon batch of Strawberry Cream ale a few months ago that came out great. Going to do a 5 gallon batch of that next weekend and add some Vanilla beans to help mellow the tartness of the strawberries. Very easy drinking summer beers!

39. Wxbrewer

Wxbrewer Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2017 Massachusetts

Have you ever used fruit extract? I long debated whether to do 5lbs of frozen blueberries in the secondary or just use the 4oz extract but heard it may not do much to the flavor and more just make the beer purple. Insights/thoughts appreciated :slight_smile:

Eggman20 likes this.
  40. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,076) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

My NE IPA is winding down slowly. Over a week in and it is still only at 67% app att. I blew CO2 through the tasting port aimed at the bottom to try to rouse the yeast, bumped up the temp to 25C, and added the dry hops. A few more days with CO2 rousing of hops and yeast and I will crash it out for kegging on Saturday.

Lukass, GormBrewhouse and Gsulliv2 like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.