What's Brewing? (August 2018)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by invertalon, Aug 2, 2018.

1. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (400) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Had to get the thread started...

Just stepping up my yeast starter for a Pils this weekend... 1.5L -> 3.0L of WLP800. My Helles is also now at 30F after crashing the past few days, so will be lagered the next 5-6 weeks. Really looking forward to that one, as it's the first beer I've used Barke Pils malt and curious of the flavor profile compared to standard Weyermann Pils.

2. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (332) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Haven’t brewed in about 2 months (been a busy summer). I plan on getting back at it soon with a no boil raw ale/ kveik (or whatever you call it. Using Omega Voss Kveik strain and hoped with Mosaic, Denali, and a little leftover El Dorado.
    I should also try and bottle my sour Wee Heavy sometime this month as well.

3. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (239) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

I'm curious - how do you plan to drop your wort down to fermenting temperature? I haven't brewed for some time, since I mostly brew lagers and as it's still too warm. I was hoping to brew a lager again in the Fall.

4. invertalon

For my lagers, I prep a few gallon ziplock bags worth of ice and also make ice blocks in silicone cake pan things... I will use a 5-gal bucket with a submersible pump in the ice water and pump that through a stainless wort chiller. At first, I will let the outlet of the wort chiller just go down the drain, but once it's not coming out warm/hot, just route the outlet in the bucket and let it recirculate. Because at one point, the outlet will be cooler than the groundwater is.

This will bring my wort down to 48F or so for pitching the yeast. In winter, I can get away with no ice since ground water is in the upper 30's or so, but in summer when it's in the 70's or whatever, need to ice it down. It can take about 30mins to cool, give or take. My post-boil volumes are around 7-7.5 gallon, for reference.

OldBrewer likes this.
  5. OldBrewer

Thanks - I'll have to try that approach. With the groundwater temperature being what it is here in the summer, the best I can get my temperature down to is about 60 F, even with a pre-chiller filled with ice water. In the Fall and Winter I can get it down to the low 50's. Re-circulating the ice water with a pump seems to be the way to go during the summer, but it must take an enormous amount of ice to chill it down to 48 F.

6. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (356) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

burton ale planned for sunday, got company next week with a youngin who wants to learn brewing. guess well make a pale

7. invertalon

It's really not too bad. I actually start chilling by using ground water until it hits about 140F or so, then switch to ice water and a pump to continue on. I can chill in summer down to ale pitch temps around 65F in about 15mins. Lagers about double that. Our ground water is probably very similar temps.

My freezer makes a bin full of about 2-gal worth of ice. I usually prep 4 bags of ice and a few ice blocks and that does it for me... It's not too bad.

8. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (87) Jan 10, 2018 California

Got a simple 2-row/carapils CTZ/Simcoe & US-05 fermenting away right now. “Best Buds”. On tap a very similar brew but with MO & Cenntenial/Amarillo.”Sun Kissed”. Good easy drinking summer beers.

Scope4Beer, skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  9. OldBrewer

Thanks! You've inspired me to try another lager in the near future. I need a couple of fittings to connect the pump to the chiller, but once i have those, I should be ready to go. Unfortunately, my freezer doesn't have an ice maker, so I will have to repeatedly fill and freeze my 3 ice trays (and one of those silicon mini-cupcake trays) numerous times. I'll also try filling some ziplock bags as you have suggested. I initially tried freezing 1 liter PET (plastic) bottles of water for my pre-chiller, but the plastic did not allow the coldness to penetrate to the water in the bucket too readily.

invertalon likes this.
  10. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Initiate (123) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona

I do the same thing, except I have to do it even for ales in the summer and year-round for lagers. We're taking completely "cold" showers right now, and my wife still thinks the water is too hot! :joy: Groundwater temperature aside, it's still tough to chill down to pitching temps with ice water when ambient outdoor temps are over 100°, so I usually put the wort in my fermentation chamber for a few hours before pitching to knock off the last few degrees.

For that amount of effort, I would (and do) just buy bags of ice. Costco sells 20# bags for under $2 each here, and I only use maybe 2 bags for a 5 gallon batch with the conditions I outlined above.

11. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

The reason I replied to the "What's Brewing in Your Mind" thread referencing WLP585 once again, is that I plan to brew a "Belgian NEIPA" with it this weekend. I found that yeast (or blend) to be fruit ester forward with just a little bit of spice, but lots of complexity in a saison. Specifically, I noticed some red berry and red apple esters in my last saison that I do not think were hop derived. Seems like that could work well with the fruity hops I plan to use: El Dorado and Azacca (maybe a bit of Chinook as well for a counterpoint) in large late additions. All on top of a pilsner malt base with lots of flaked rye and oats.

I plan to mash high to prevent the yeast from taking the FG too low. Additionally, I've heard saison strains produce higher levels of glycerol, which benefits mouthfeel, so that may be another plus.

Obviously, the risk is that all of these flavors don't work together and it tastes like mud. Only one way to find out!

skleice, Supergenious and NorCalKid like this.
  12. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (332) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I’ve considered trying something like this. You will have to let us know how this one turns out. Cheers!

13. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,715) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Long time coming … finally kegged the averagely (im)perfect dubbel and a saison. Those guys have been sitting in primary for 4+ weeks. Got a little delayed on kegging due to CO2 shortage and work travel. Finally got that squared away. I usually go about 3 weeks, so this was longer than usual, but no noticeably bad things like oxidation or autolysis. Just saying, for folks who worry about this stuff, rdwhahb.

14. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Crusader (745) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Ideas.

NorCalKid likes this.
  15. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (48) May 12, 2017 California

Inspired by Ballast Point's 'Made in San Diego', as well as a heat-driven desire to drink slightly lighter beers, yesterday I brewed my attempt at a Made in San Diego clone. Of course, I only know what they tell me, and that is; they call it a kolsch; it has some Munich; they used cascade and mosaic; it's 4.2%; 20 IBU. With that, I used 89.5% 2-row, 10.5% Munich, .75 oz cascade at 60, .5 oz cascade at 10, and .75 oz mosaic at 5. wlp029. OG was a tad high, as I'm still trying to dial in my efficiency since introducing the new mash tun. Should finish closer to 4.5% ABV. Fermenting away at 65F. Will it be a kolsch? I don't know, but I think it'll be tasty, regardless.

GormBrewhouse and Supergenious like this.
  16. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (87) Jan 10, 2018 California

Always J-man. Hope as a homebrewer that should be the gear that drives the hobby!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  17. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (136) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Dry hopped an DIPA with 12,5 g/L Cryo Chinook/Citra/Mosaic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    (OG:1.081, Day 5)

tasts super djuicy

18. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (83) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Just brewed a NEIPA for a grad part on the 18th and Sunday I will be brewing my milkshake IPA for the party (both requested beers)

GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  19. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (482) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

A 1062 og 'Brut' IPA with Omegas Hornindal yeast; Nelson, Wakatu, and Rakau for post boil, pitch and active. And some Centennial, and Galaxy for some bitterness from the boil.
    6 row with acidulated, oats (soured), smoked wheat and golden naked,
    I brewed it Tuesday, and it's 1007 now, and I'm probably going to bottle it today.

20. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Did you add any kind of enzymes? If so, when?

Buck89 likes this.
  21. gvickery

gvickery Disciple (334) May 13, 2017 Texas
    Premium

I’m bottling an amber ale tomorrow. OG 1.058 FG 1.011. 4.5 gal. Pretty simple, 9 lbs 2-row and 1 lb carmel 60. Cascade, centennial and liberty hops. All grain BIAB. This is my first batch using my 3000 watt induction burner. It worked well, I made an 8ft extension cord with some romex and a plug that fits the 240 dryer plugin. It’s nice to be able to do this inside since the heat index has been 105 or more around here. I’m also using an inkbird temp controller I got off amazon for the first time. It’s super easy to use. I fermented at 67 for 14 days and it’s been in secondary for 7. The sample tasted nice with no strange flavors so looks good so far.

22. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Devotee (482) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

I did two amalyse additions. One as a temp mash at 135, and also added some with the active hop addition.

23. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (699) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Currently mashing a IIPA for a non-profit gig in Oct...lots of Chinook, CTZ, Simcoe, Citra, and El Dorado.

GormBrewhouse, Jesse14 and skleice like this.
  24. invertalon

Near my 50F chill target on my house Pils brewed today! Just 11lb Barke Pils and 5oz Acidulated. OG of 1.052. Whole flower Tettnanger and Saaz (German Magnum for FWH bittering).

Flawless brewday. I like these types of days!

Got a sixer of Hofbrau Oktoberfest waiting for us once all cleaned up.

GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  25. Lukass

Lukass Savant (902) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Just ordered 1 lb chinook for $7 and 1 lb of comet for $8 on Yakima valley’s flash sale that went on - such a steal!

26. skleice

skleice Aspirant (240) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Well this sucks. Just came back from a week vacation to find 3 gallons of my Belgian Pale Ale soaked into the basement floor. It sat in that same fermonster for 2 weeks with no problem. Dunno what caused the spigot to leak all of a sudden. I'll try to bottle what's left of it. Big waste of time and $$$.

27. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Defender (699) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

The "fermonster" must have loosened it or it succumbed to shitty construction :grimacing:...I'd do a little investigating to find the root cause. Spigots are wonderful for homebrewers with just a little attention.

28. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (773) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Depending on what free time looks like the next few days, either all grain West Coast/NEIPA hybrid with Denali, Azzaca, and Simcoe, HotHead yeast, or extract hoppy saison with Loral and BE-134 on Tuesday.

29. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (48) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Made a blueberry lager this weekend. Similar recipe to the strawberry lager and everything went smoothly. Can't wait to drink this one as the strawberry turned out awesome

30. Layerup

Layerup Initiate (16) Aug 28, 2015 Oregon

Blanched and bagged 5lbs of apricots I'll throw into the freezer for when I have an open keg to attempt a clone of Burnside breweries Sweet Heat.
    [​IMG]

31. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (414) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

This month I'll be brewing up my first Oktoberfest and then a yearly tradition...my pumpkin ale!

Earlier this summer I finished my 2 Vessel K-Rims system and was thinking of using pumpkin in the mash and utilizing rice hulls to aid in recirculation. I haven't used pumpkin in the making of it in the past couple of years because recirculating was a pain with it before but I didn't use rice hulls.

32. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (45) May 18, 2017 England

Got an attempt at a sour farmhouse thing brewed today - wheat, pilsner and Belgian pale ale malts, 1.045-ish, no hops, short boil and now it's going to sit on Imperial Yeast's Sour Batch Kidz (saison yeast + lacto + brett) for about a year.

Apart from being my first attempt at a proper slow sour, this is also the first time I've brewed with the 30L Burco Cygnet boiler that I've just acquired as a hand-me-down from my dad. I really shouldn't be surprised by this, but it's so much easier to brew 14 litre batches when you aren't trying to make do with a stock pot that can just about keep about 12 litres at a rolling boil on the stove top!

33. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (114) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Brewed an ipa yesterday with pils mo and oat malt in roughly equal amounts. Hopped with simcoe Amarillo and comet late. Half has barbarian yeast and the other half has Nottingham. Going to Dryhop the barbarian with comet and Amarillo and Nottingham with simcoe and Amarillo. Immediately regretted brewing when I was watching it come to a boil in 100% humidity

34. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,158) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Just finished brewing the Averagely Perfect Dubbel. Looking forward to this one!

35. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,158) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

I’m curious about everyone’s pitch rates using 3787 and other Belgian strains. I slightly underpitched at 0.6M/mL/*P and went easy on the O2. Curious not just about this beer but homebrewed Belgians in general.

36. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (101) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Used the entire packet.
    It was 3 months old
    Did a 1 day starter
    Used no 02
    Open fermented.
    Keezer had a nice smell.

GormBrewhouse and Buck89 like this.
  37. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (83) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Got an early start today (5am) to beat the extreme heat. Brewed the last beer for my friend's son's grad party and it was milkshake ipa. I added lactose to my normal neipa recipe and will secondary it on vanilla beans I've been soaking for 2 weeks, peaches, and mangos.

38. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (356) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

I was gifted a fermonster which worked great the first year. Just bought a new valve/spigot and gaskets cause the original leaked when I was cleaning it. Never did seal after that. Never had that problem with buckets.

39. jricharc

jricharc Initiate (179) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

So last night I bought some bags of shredded coconut and toasted them. I added them to my primary of my black IPA that has been fermenting for just over a week, is it going to be alright to let them soak for about 2 weeks?

#39 jricharc, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  40. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (773) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Going with the extract saison. Even though it seems consensus on Loral seems to be that its an underwhelming hop, I think it will work well for a saison.