What’s Brewing December Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Supergenious, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (342) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I’m planning an oat IPA this week. Around 10% flaked and 10 golden naked. Hopped with mostly Ekuanot (cryo) and a little Columbus.
    Next week I’m doing a dark saison with special B and ginger. I may or may not add some Brett B.

2. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (423) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Just prepped all my stuff to start bright and early tomorrow. New "Session" NE Pale at about 4.5% target ABV. Hopped with Columbus, Galaxy, Citra and Mandarina Bavaria.

Grist is 2-row, white wheat and a small amount of Vienna, oats and honey malt.

Also will be kegging the Dunkel that I have crashed the past two days while the boil and such is going on.

3. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Mashing in on a Scottish 70 shilling right now. I'll be using the cake to brew a Wee Heavy.

4. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (471) May 9, 2007 Ohio

First brew day since September. First up is 5 gallons of Maibock which is currently in the kettle followed by 10 gallons of Festbier which is currently mashing.

5. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,227) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

Brewing up a modified version of the BYO new dogtown pale ale clone. I'm aware that the amarillo gives the beer a very "orange marmalde" feel, but I have never enjoyed amarillo on the homebrew level. So I'm swapping in chinook and cascade from hop head farms. Hopefully I get a pineapple orange preserves with the maltiness of the grist.

6. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (793) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

[​IMG]
    Finally getting around to that Belgian Christmas ale. So far, so good. PH, temps, and gravities are all good.
    78%pils, 5% DRC, 17% sugar (dextrose and D-90 Candi). Magnum and ekg and Total 8.5 grams spices (coriander, nutmeg, clove, and cardamom). Using a blend of omega saison and WY3944 to ferment.

7. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (378) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Tommorrow the chocolate cinnamon vanilla stout.

#7 GormBrewhouse, Dec 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 4, 2017
  8. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (901) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Kegged a Session Pale Ale SMaSH (Golden Promise and Mosaic) this morning and kegged a NE DIPA version of my house IPA brewed with some local wildflower honey this afternoon...then I brewed up a Focal Banger clone and added it back onto the Omega DIPA yeast cake from the NE DIPA I had just kegged. Cheers!

9. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (151) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

KBS,
    this time without chocolate

10 liter
    OG: 1.093
    75 IBU

1500 g Briess Golden Light
    1560 g Pale
    170 g Chocolate
    170 g Roasted Barley
    115 g Crystal 120
    115 g Carafa
    170 g flaked oat

25 g Nugget, 60 min
    15 g Willamette 25 min
    25 g Willamette, 10 min

100 ml borbon, 10 g oak chips and 4 cups espresso

maybe I add coconut and vanilla too

[​IMG]

#9 loebrygg, Dec 3, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  10. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (324) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

12-3-17 Amber ale to-style today opens up the 2018 Bayou Circuit comp season

12-16-17 20gal Rare Barrel red base to split 4 ways to replace the last 4 brett/sour kegs that have kicked
    -WLP400/TYB261 + ECY Bug county
    -WLP300/TYB261 + ECY Senne Valley
    -WLP545/TYB Lochristi + TYB House Sour
    -WL1318/ECY Senne Valley + TYB Saison Brett

12-22-17 hosting club christmas party

12-30-17 imperial stout for 2018 Bayou Corcuit

11. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (365) May 2, 2006 Utah

Just patiently waiting on my German Pils to condition. Will use the 2124 Wyeat cake to make an Alt(ish) beer, hopefully sometime before Christmas. Cheers!

12. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (108) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Just started boiling a 1 gallon decoction I pulled from a saison I'm mashing right now. Why a decoction with a saison? I've never heard much about them with saisons, soooooo....... why not??

13. Beerswimmer

Also trying Bootleg Biology Sour Weapon P instead of my usual L. plantarum.

14. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Brewed a Milkshake IPA yesterday.
    2row, white wheat, flaked wheat, flaked oats, lactose, touch of honey malt and crystal 10.
    4oz each of Citra, Galaxy, Eldorado, and Denali all whirpool. London 1318. Vanilla bean tincture and still deciding on the fruit I am going to use. Fruit and vanilla beans will be done in a secondary.

15. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (302) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Inspired by @marknu1 and @JeremyDanner , I attempted a Tank 7 clone this weekend. My LHBS didn't have Wyeast 3787 so I went with WLP530. Fermenting vigorously now at about 66-68F. After about a week, I'm going to raise it to about 70F and I may even try to rack to my dry hop keg with a few points remaining and try my just-made spunding valve to finish fermentation and try some natural carbonation. I started at 1.071 and I think I'm predicting a finish of 1.017 so I'm hoping to dry hop at around 1.020 and when I rack I'll try to move a bit of yeast with it to try to keep it going from 1.020 to 1.017.

Edit: Sorry, this should be in the December thread. Not sure how to move it.

16. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (807) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Have you used P. pentosaceus before?

17. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Brewed 6 gallons of Saison today. Made a blend of some yeasts in an attempt to get a house saison culture going. The makeup of the blend is something like 50% wlp565, 30% wlp530, 20% wyeast 3031. The intention was to encourage a saison profile with a hint of trappist character and allow the interesting fruity brett character of 3031 a chance to shine.

18. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

If you're going to use this culture in a repeated fashion, I'd love to hear about the sensory drift that you get from it.

19. Beerswimmer

Nope. I have used plantarum with no problems, just trying to see if there will be a noticeable difference between them. If not, then the more affordable and easy to find plantarum is what I'll continue to use.

GormBrewhouse and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

I think it'll be neat for you to do that comparison, but I think that you'll probably go back to L. plantarum for the reasons stated.

GormBrewhouse and jbakajust1 like this.
  21. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (0) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Bottled my annual Christmas Weizenbock this past weekend. Really looking forward to it this year! A small taste post-fermantation leads me to think this is going to be a great batch! Credit to the Mad Fermentationist for the inspiration for the grist! Already carbing up nicely, should be ready for Christmas!

22. Beerswimmer

Mashing in on something I've never done before, a braggot. It'll be a kind of Belgian quad braggot and I plan on aging on cherries(for flavor, not sugars). Possibly add brett after.

A kitchen sink recipe, already had everything laying around.

6g recipe est. OG 1.120, est. FG-no idea!

7lbs pale 2-row
    1lb wheat DME
    .5oz Centennial @start of short boil

2lbs Candi Syrup D-240 anyone try this yet??
    10 lbs raw&unfiltered wildflower honey

WLP 545, started 3 days ago

I'll let it ferment for 2 days before adding the honey, then let it finish before adding the D-240.

Any advice, critiques??

#22 Beerswimmer, Dec 5, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  23. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (342) May 9, 2011 Michigan

That will be interesting. You’ll have to let us know how it turns out.

24. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (108) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I'll call this Mystery Box ale.Needed to get rid of grains so i mixed Maris,Optic,G.Promise,Honey, Rye and White wheat malt along w/US05,Hop extract, Mosaic and Amarillo.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

25. invertalon

So with my NE Pale reaching the end (just need to add DH #2 tomorrow for 2 days then crash/keg)… Finished the next two recipes I will be brewing yesterday:

1.) Bohemian Pilsner – German Pils, Carahell and Aciduated Malt for pH. 3.5oz Czech Saaz used at 60/15/5. Expected at around 4.6% ABV (FG of approx.. 1.014).

Then after that comes out of primary fermentation and into my lagering chamber… Really excited for:

2.) IPL that is bittered with Warrior and late hopped with Comet and Medusa and potentially Amarillo (I am still debating on eliminating Amarillo to showcase the other two only instead). Each hop is new to me (brewing with them), and also my first IPL. I absolutely love Comet the time I had a single-hop pale at Troeg’s actually… Was such an amazing flavor profile, crazy to think it’s not a more popular hop (I know, its old school…). Medusa I have never tasted, but it sounds like an interesting hop. Amarillo is always tasty, but like I said, it’s the only thing that may change in the recipe and just bumping up the other two to compensate.

After those two, it’s wide open as far as my pipeline goes… Perhaps get into making kettle sours. Need to do some more research into that for the best methods to go about it. I did before, but it’s been a while and I forgot most of what I had read lol

26. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Sounds like a good plan. Love making braggots.

IMO, no good reason to use brett in this beer. Splitting the batch with half "plain" and half on cherries is a way better idea.

Unless you have the cherries already bought, let me recommend something like this for flavor and ease of use:

[​IMG]

27. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,367) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

My weekend effort wasn't too different. In comparison, I used a little less base malt (all marris otter) and about double the other malts, working off a Founder's Breakfast Stout recipe I've modified and brewed before. Bourbon and coffee additions in a couple weeks. I used a yeast slurry off the pale I I just finished and it was bubbling away within 4 hours. Only issue was I came in a little low on my OG, so I'll need to decide whether or not to try and make that up.

28. Beerswimmer

Just add the whole bottle? I was thinking of using 10lbs(2lbs per gallon) for this batch. No brett Lambicus, huh?

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  29. EvenMoreJesus

Premium Trader

Then 2 bottles might be more your speed. FWIW, you can buy that stuff at just about any vitamin/supplement shop and your local grocery might even stock it or something like it.

IMO, Brettanomyces doesn't make everything better. If you're looking for that phenolic profile and increased attenuation for this beer then OK, as "Brett L" is a Brett Brux variant. If not, which I wouldn't be, then maybe save the brett for something else.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  30. invertalon

Hydro check on my NE Pale… So even though I mashed high at 155-156F with a target FG of 1.015, the yeast went above and beyond and it looks like it finished at 1.010, or about 76% AA with London Ale III. I was hoping for a bit more residual sweetness with this one, but oh well! Still tastes good! I will adjust for next time with even higher mash temps.

With Conan and a similar recipe (yet mashed at 150-152F) I was always end up with lower than expected AA (for the yeast typically) with my session pale. Yet my standard strength stuff would always hit estimated targets.

Will hit it with the second dry hop today (about 6oz).

31. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (901) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Kegged Krampus BIIPA (Brett Imperial IPA) yesterday...beer for our winter club comp in 2 weeks, brewed with a simple 80/20 2 Row/Wheat grain bill, cryo and regular Citra and Mosaic and fermented with Omega's Where Da Funk. Came out at 11.03%, 95 IBUs and tasty with a slight booziness.

Then I reused the yeast/bug cake (after I scooped and saved a couple of jars of the culture for future brews) and brewed up and added my house session Brett pale ale to it to compare the Where Da Funk with Bit O Funk, which is my usual Brett blend for all of my Brett beers.

32. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (55) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Just cold crashed a bohemian pilsner last night. I figured 'ramp the temp down?' Nahhhhhh! What am I patient ? The sample tasted great, so I figured what the hell. I plan to fine with gelatin for a day or two then rack out and lager in a keg.

Also doing a night brew this eve - mashing in around 6 o'clock, should be cleaned up and pitched by one AM or so! Will be brewing with beers in hand experiencing some phenomenal southern Alberta weather . Will be a vulgar display of hoppage in the Yankee tradition. The kids call it 'NEIPA'

Cheers !

33. PortLargo

PortLargo Devotee (433) Oct 19, 2012 Florida

I need a blowoff tube for my blowoff jar . . . Wyeast 3944 wants you to know who's boss:

[​IMG]

34. GormBrewhouse

Racked Christmas stout adding nibs and vanilla and hard maple.
    Bottled session citra pale.
    Brewed tettnang lager

35. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (87) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Brewed my Scottish Export today.

After asking advice on crystal vs caramelization for it, I went with ... all of the above. So I used some carastan, boiled the wort 100 min and boiled down 1 qt separately to caramelize it even more. I think I went a bit overboard but we shall see.

Malt bill was Golden Promise, Carastan, Dk Munich, Carafa ii, and a touch of Honey Malt. EKG and WY1728.

36. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (49) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Brewing up a Belgian Quad today to be the 3rd beer to be in my barrel. Had a great mash and now its boiling away.

Pretty simple malt bill with mostly Belgian Pilsner with a bit of aromatic and german caramunich ll. Plan to add some Candi Syrup a few days into fermentation. Going with Wyeast Trappist High Gravity taken from a Saison I made a month ago.

37. Beerswimmer

Just took a gravity sample and had a taste. Still full of yeast, but damn tasty! I think it "may" have a bit more of a "creamy" flavor. I get it when I do decoctions of my hefeweisse compared to just a single infusion. A bit of a caramelly flavor I guess.

The Sour Weapon seems to be a cleaner acid than what I get from plantarum. Not as harsh. Absolutely sour for still being 1.010, but it doesn't scream LACTIC at me. Maybe it will when it finishes? Interesting. I'm glad I saved some to try again.

Also, I added 3lbs of dried apricots and 7lbs of peaches to this.

Eggman20 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  38. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Brewed a cinnamon, vanilla bean, maple syrup porter today :slight_smile: [​IMG]

39. Lukass

Lukass Savant (915) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Brewed a 6% abv oatmeal stout yesterday and it's chugging away steadily at 64F with us-05. Gonna pitch a big RIS onto the cake after racking this one to the keg. I've heard mixed opinions with pitching onto yeast cakes, but I'm never gonna know for sure until I actually try it out :stuck_out_tongue:

40. GormBrewhouse

I predict you'll like it, and the ris will remedy wildly. Have a blow off handy?

Lukass likes this.