What’s Brewing December Edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by Supergenious, Dec 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Mash coming along nicely.

[​IMG]

2. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

What is your batch size you brew?

3. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (0) May 2, 2016 Minnesota
    Deactivated

Finished size 5 gallons.

4. Lukass

Lukass Pooh-Bah (2,807) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society

Just got some freshly used four roses oak staves from a buddy of mine. Now the fun part will be cutting them down to fit into a carboy!

SFACRKnight and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. MrOH

MrOH Grand Pooh-Bah (3,331) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland
    Pooh-Bah Society

After a little over a month on cherries and mahlab, my dark strong wheat saison got bottled with some brett c today. Went from 1.110 (pre-cherries) down to 1.006. Wheat and glycols give it a great mouthfeel, a little boozy, though. Mahlab enhances cherry flavors, and give it a great almond and cinnamon taste. Hoping the brett c does its job with just a little funk and some pineapple esters.

6. Prep8611

Prep8611 Savant (1,208) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Finally kegged coffee brown ale and strawberry pat beer. It's been so cold and I haven't been drinking much to empty my legs.

7. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tried bottling the 14% Chocolate Habanero Bourbon Imperial Stout. Damn Last Straw bottler gave me bottles of foam. Finally called Northern Brewer to bitch about it and got a credit. Getting a Blichmann beer gun.

#67 jbakajust1, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  8. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Tommorrow, bottleing standard lager and brewing a cascade lager.

Friday, brewing Irish stout and session pale.

scottakelly, Prep8611 and SFACRKnight like this.
  9. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Savant (1,038) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

At 1.019 I racked my Tank 7 clone out of the fermenter and into a keg for some Amarillo dry hopping. I intentionally brought some yeast over during the transfer. I raised temp to 70F to encourage a good finish and applied my spunding valve for the first time. It's been about 3 days and the gauge has not moved, ha! I pulled the prv and got a hiss so I guess that's good but I need to figure out why the valve isn't working. It would've helped if I'd tested it before! :rolling_eyes:

It's probably close to being done. No big deal, I'll transfer to the serving keg soon and just force carb as usual. And then play with the spunding to see what I'm doing wrong.

Next up, Timothy Taylor Landlord clone 100% Golden Promise (using mad fermentationist's @OldSock recipe). Bet he's busy these days! Congrats btw!!! Sapwood!!!

10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Nice.

11. OldSock

OldSock Maven (1,406) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia

Cheers, picking up the keys to the brewery today!

12. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (0) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

Awesome, man! Best of luck.

OldSock and GormBrewhouse like this.
  13. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (0) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Took samples on 3 brews. Apricot & peach sour saison, down to 1.004-ish and added 3 more lbs of dried apricots. Key lime pie beer, down to 1.04-ish and probably won't go much lower. Added lime tincure to it. And the braggot is down to 1.008. All of these beers should be getting bottled in the next few weeks, so I need to start planning on what to brew up next!

Probably do an immediate repeat of the braggot, so good and so easy! And maybe another sour saison to add passionfruit and guava to.

scottakelly and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. pweis909

pweis909 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,176) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Pooh-Bah Society

What does an insomniac homebrewer do?
    • Watch Youtube videos on topcropping
    • Update an Old Ale recipe that has been sitting in the Beersmith "Scratchpad" folder
    • Press "Checkout" on that MoreBeer cart that was started last week
    • Take the brew dog for a 2AM walk (no, not those guys)
    • Work on keg and keezer cleaning project
    • Rack that black currant-blueberry melomel that's been on the back burner for a couple weeks (you see, I needed to clean a keg beforehand)
    • Drink an 8 oz melomel hydometer sample. Sure, I grabbed a little more sample than I needed. Was that really 17.6% ABV?
    • Get ready for work.
    (No worries, Work is still 3 hours away and the brew dog will want another walk.)

15. invertalon

invertalon Pooh-Bah (2,065) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Have the yeast starter for my next Pilsner underway. Just now crashing the first of two steps (1.25L to 2.25L)… Will take two vials from the starter for future batches and pitch the rest as I usually do.

This Pils is targeting 4.6% ABV with a FG of around 1.014 and ~35 IBU. A bit more Bohemian-esque than the German style I typically brew which is drier and higher IBU.

Bittered with a FWH of Gr. Magnum and then whole-leaf Czech Saaz at 30, 15 and 5min additions. Grist is just 93% Pils, 5% Carahell and 2-3% Aciduated (as needed to hit 5.35 mash pH). Diluting my city water 50% with distilled to soften it up, no other mineral additions. Will ferment at 48F with WY2206. This is the first beer that I will use a spunding valve to finish fermenting, so we shall see how this goes! Brew day will be on Christmas day as the lady and I have the day home alone with no activities going on, weeee!

16. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

Putting the finishing touches on a Winter IPA. Heavy on Azzacca & Ekuinot, CTZ Cryo, and a splash of Amarillo and Citra. Pale Malt, Carastan, Carapils, Belgian Aromatic, and Demera, fermented with S-04. Shooting for 7.3% ABV, 73 IBUs, 7.3 SRM.

Will brew on my newly fitted brewstand, HLT on top, MLT fed in middle, then pump to BK lower. First time with a full on fly sparge.

17. VikeMan

VikeMan Grand Pooh-Bah (3,043) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

WLP550 starter. I don't have a lot of experience with this strain, but (in this case, anyway) it made a remarkably sticky, stirplate-thwarting krausen.

[​IMG]

18. Dmanuele1991

Dmanuele1991 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Wisconsin

Yesterday I brewed my neipa with all galaxy hops. Only did a FWH and 2 whirlpool additions @180° and 160°. Wanted to mash in @155 but I hit 158 and mashed for 80 mins. Still hit my OG of 1.071.pitched 2 packets of wyeast 1318 and in less than 8 hrs it' already churning. In 3 days will do my first dry hopping of 2 Oz galaxy. Super pumped for this one. 17th time is the charm just juicy ipa. Fingers crossed

Jesse14, ECCS and scottakelly like this.
  19. ECCS

ECCS Zealot (731) Oct 28, 2015 Illinois

Sounds good!
    What was your water chem? And are you kegging or bottle conditioning?

The quality of my NEIPAs increases once I adjusted the water chemistry and pH, and started kegging.

20. Dmanuele1991

Dmanuele1991 Initiate (0) Mar 5, 2014 Wisconsin

My water chemistry was distilled with about Ca-164.5 / Mg-0 / Na-13.0 / Cl-243.0 / So4-92.1

And I've begun kegging all my neipa', a I must agree ever since I switch from kegging to bottling they taste so much better and last longer. If I don' d it all haha

ECCS likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.