What's Brewing In March?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by telejunkie, Mar 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chavinparty

chavinparty Zealot (641) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Dryhopped Citra Amarillo IPA with Citra Amarillo and Galaxy. 2 oz each. Last 50~ batches I've dryhopped have gotten 3 to 5 days so I'm going to try 7 days for variation and to make up for an early dh.
    Next on deck is a single malt optic with summit chinook and Citra. Hoping the Citra will balance the pinebomb

scottakelly and Scope4Beer like this.
  2. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

Soneast, FeDUBBELFIST, SABERG and 5 others like this.
  3. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (0) Jun 4, 2016 Norway
    Deactivated

[​IMG]

coffee in whirlpool

4. hezagenius

hezagenius Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2011 Iowa

Brewed up a NEIPA this past Friday. The grain bill is based on the Juicy Bits recipe but I tweaked it a little bit. I hopped it with Columbus in the kettle and Mosaic with a little Columbus for dry hopping. 1318 for yeast.

Here's a pic on Day 4 (last night) before I added the dry hops. I'll let it sit on the hops in the keg for 5 days, crash and carb for 2 days, and then transfer to a serving keg.

[​IMG]

5. sts9fan

sts9fan Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2015 Massachusetts

I brewed a ~10gallon batch of no boil berliner on Monday. I sort of rushed it because i got into a time crunch but I think it will be ok. It will be low ABV with a OG of 1030. I split it into two carboys. The first I pitched ECY06 Berliner blend and the second got WLP630 berliner blend. The white labs carboy has taken off with full krausen while the ECY is taking its time. Still action on the airlock but a bit slower. Should be interesting to see the difference.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tebuken, Soneast, SABERG and 4 others like this.
  6. CarolusP

CarolusP Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

Souring two gallons of wort for a small batch of watermelon Berliner Weisse.

[​IMG]

7. argock

argock Pooh-Bah (2,754) Dec 30, 2006 Virginia
    Pooh-Bah Society

Brewed an ad hoc Golden Promise single malt APA with Citra and Mosaic with US-05 -- nothing fancy, just solid hoppy ale drinking.

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Pooh-Bah (2,528) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society

The plan is to pull some samples from my 8 different wild/sours that are aging and do some taste testing tonight as well as some blending. If all goes well then I hope to bottle (yes, bottle) at least 15 gallons of beer this weekend. My palate is getting worn out on all the hoppy and boozy beers I drink lately. Want some more interesting and unique stuff to enjoy, but don't want it on tap (go through it too quick).

Choosing from:
    12 month old 100% Brett (3 strains) Super Saison 9.0%ABV
    16 month old 100% Brett (3 strains) Amber Saison 6.5%ABV + L. plantarum
    29 month old Golden Sour fermented with built up dregs from BOS wild.
    24 month old Golden Sour (high acetic) from Solera
    ~ 18 month old Amber Solera
    ~ 18 month old Amber Solera on Blackberry
    6 month old 100% Brett (3 strains) Belgian Guad 11.0%ABV (cold aged)
    52 month old Spontaneous Fermentation, Lambic base.

#48 jbakajust1, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. sts9fan

sts9fan Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2015 Massachusetts

Update on my Berliner posted above. The WLP630 fraction is blowing off massive amounts of sulfur. My whole second floor smells of farts.

Jake_Ramrod and corbmoster like this.
  10. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Maven (1,374) May 2, 2006 Utah

Today was my first brew day since last October. I put together a Dortmunder Export. 80% Weyermann Pils malt, 20% Weyermann Munich I. Used 4.3 oz Hersbruker hops for bittering, flavor, aroma. Water was treated to somewhat mimic Dortmund water (sans carbonate). Yeast is the classic Wy 2124. Its now cooling down to 50 F in the fermentation chamber.

Next beer, soon to be brewed, will be a Rye IPA. Picked up Wy 1332 (Northwest Ale) for this one. Hops will be similar to the APA IPA, unless I get inspired.

Cheers!

11. CarolusP

CarolusP Zealot (566) Oct 22, 2015 Minnesota

When the dog isn't around, that's always my excuse, too.

"No, honey, it wasn't me. It was the beer."

scottakelly, Jake_Ramrod and sts9fan like this.
  12. Chris912

Chris912 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

May I ask what your attenuation typically is for this style/yeast combo? I've been hitting around 75-80%, but that number seems a bit high to me...

13. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (0) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Brewed my Domaine DuPage clone. Also inaugetated my custom small batch speidel fermenter. Boiloff was a bit more than I expected but I think it'll be alright.

Good way to warm up on a frigid March day in Chicago!

scottakelly likes this.
  14. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Zealot (549) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Just bottled a Belgian Quad I brewed in November. Smelled great, I am happy with how it turned out. Website I got the kit from said 1.09ish for an OG but I was more in the 1.11 range which a lot of the comments said they got. Pitched an extra package of yeast, and here I am sipping a 13.2ABV beer (last bottle was about half full and can't have that). Needless to say, 12oz bottles might be a little big...

15. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Pooh-Bah (2,111) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont
    Pooh-Bah Society

Finnaly bottled the smoky blue Boris, smoked IRS with blueberry , brewed a standard IPA, pre neipa

scottakelly and SFACRKnight like this.
  16. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Haven't brewed since December due to being busy with school. However, I kegged the last 5 gallons of my chocolate oatmeal stout that had been in a Balcones single malt Barrel since last September. Sample tasted awesome.

17. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Savant (1,038) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society

18. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Zealot (744) Jul 20, 2016 Indiana

Kegged my second attempt at a NEIPA, which I needed last month, 10 days ago. Been drinking it for a few days now and it's tasting and looking pretty good! Some might call it a session at only 5.25%, but I didn't add any sugar because I'm sick of getting drunk off of two beers. :stuck_out_tongue:
    [​IMG]

#58 Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2017
  19. corbmoster

corbmoster Pundit (836) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Trader

Was it a really hazy and low flocculating for you too? I've cold crashed at 4 C / 39.2 F for a couple days and it is clearing, but only half way so far. Strange that I can see a definable line.

20. stealth

stealth Pooh-Bah (1,819) Dec 16, 2011 Minnesota
    Pooh-Bah Society

hazy triple ipa kegged...not too shabby.

Tebuken, Soneast, scottakelly and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.