What's Brewing? (In Your Mind)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GreenKrusty101, Jun 30, 2018.

1. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (713) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Rather than fix a month for what's cook'in...what's brewing long term?
    Like I said in another thread, a blended clone of LG's Waldo's and Hemperor from NB in the possibly distant future for me :grin:

2. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (97) Jan 10, 2018 California

Hmmm.... good question Krusty. I’m sitting on a 1/2 lb of Enigma hops. Was thinking about doing a heavily single hopped Belgian pale ale/ipa but scratchin’ my head on the yeast. A Belgian strain more estery than phenolic. Also thinking pils malt with flaked wheat and a touch(2%) honey malt. Any suggestions?

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  3. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Trappist high gravityb( westmalle)

NorCalKid likes this.
  4. GreenKrusty101

Prep8611 and NorCalKid like this.
  5. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (108) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Also Chimay is more estery than phenolic.

I'm planning on a few high gravity beers to put away for the winter, a tripel and a wheat wine.

NorCalKid likes this.
  6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,649) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

On a somewhat related note...

I am attending HomebrewCon right now. I have been in search for a replacement to the White Labs Saison III (WLP-585) since that yeast is now discontinued. I talked to the dude working the White Labs booth to further request they bring this strain back but to no avail. So, I spoke to a gentleman at Fermentis (his name was Napolean) and I asked if they had the equivalent of WLP-585 yeast; I described this strain as being both estery and phenolic. He handed me packets of T-58 and BE-134 and suggested I pitch the two yeasts at a ratio of 3:1 (T-58 to BE-134). Maybe this would achieve what you want with your beer?

FWIW I was able to drink and enjoy a Saison from Maltose Falcons (brewed by Drew Beechum) which used BE-134. That beer has dominated by phenolics for my palate.

Maybe a combo of T-58 and BE-134 per the ratios above is a 'sweet spot'?

Cheers!

@DrewBeechum @GreenKrusty101

7. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (366) May 2, 2006 Utah

I recently bought six pounds of hops from Hops Direct (they had a bit of a sale going on): one lb each of Azacca, Centennial, Comet, Mandarina Bavaria, Willamette, and Calypso. So I am naturally contemplating the shop bill for an IPA. It'll be a West Coast style.

Any suggestions on the combination of hops to use? Thanks!

And Cheers!

8. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Long range what's brewing?
    • Brew some beers with lots of hops, because I went a little crazy at the 47 hop sale.
    • Find time to make some cream ales to return to my Bespeckled Bovine vs. Mottled Moo experiments. Next one might compare corn vs. rice adjunct, which I have never used, or could be a test of warmer-fermented 34/70, because Brulosophy sez so. Or maybe do some experiments to see if I can push the concept, using hops, towards something other than a pale ale, ​
    • Brew something big and momentous, because I lost count of how many batches of homebrew I've made and figure I must be at some milestone or other. Sort of a commemoration of my forgetfulness? There are some major high gravity styles I have never brewed: tripel, quad, barleywine, DIPA, RIS. I'm leaning towards a Bigfoot-inspired barleywine.

9. GreenKrusty101

Just had an IPA from Revision with Citra, Mandarina Bavaria, and Galaxy that was extremely delicious...curiously named Mystic Topaz...ifitwm..Comet/bittering, Centennial, and MB late, cheers.

utahbeerdude likes this.
  10. NorCalKid

One of my favorite breweries out here. That and the ol’ kicking grounds Knee Deep and their neighbor.

11. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (266) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

I’d highly recommend the Wyeast seasonal Belgian Schelde (I think it’s still out) it’s a pof- Belgian yeast that has some unique fruity characteristics to it. Or the Belgian Ale DK from Omega which is similar. I’ve used both recently in Belgian Pale Ales. Going to ferment a more traditional IPA with one of the other and see what I get.

12. wasatchback

Been thinking about hops a lot lately and doing some more research on oil content and trying to use the non sexy hops that are high in geraniol and linalool at certain times and then pair with a sexy hop (higher in thiols) to see if certain combos might boost certain aroma characteristics. For instance Nugget has the highest amount of linalool (floral/orange closest is Amarillo) and Bravo has by far the highest amount of geraniol (floral/rose/geranium that certain yeasts biotransform into Beta Citronello -closest is Mosaic).

So some combo of Bravo/Nugget in the WP and then Citra, Mosaic or Nelson in Dry Hop??

Also after reading so many of the studies Sapporo conducted on Hop oils and biotransformation using lager yeast (that I would assume is 34/70) it’s clear that yeast is capable of biotransformation and can also be fermented warm...has anyone made a really hoppy beer with 34/70 fermented on the warm end? Might have to try it..

13. Prep8611

14. MrOH

MrOH Champion (830) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Mainly just trying to use up all the small bits of specialty grains that have accumulated so that I can get down to figuring out standard grists for IPAs and saisons (my two most brewed styles)

15. wasatchback

Been thinking about hops a lot lately and doing some more research on oil content and trying to use the non sexy hops that are high in geraniol and linalool at certain times and then pair with a sexy hop (higher in thiols) to see if certain combos might boost certain aroma characteristics. For instance Nugget has the highest amount of linalool (floral/orange closest is Amarillo) and Bravo has by far the highest amount of geraniol (floral/rose/geranium closest is Mosaic).

16. MrOH

Have you checked out @OldSock approach?

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/09/citra-galaxy-neipa-bioconversion.html

https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2018/02/sapwood-cellars-cheater-hops-ne-dipa.html

17. wasatchback

I have. I use a rather different process and philosophy on grain bill for this style so I expect my results to differ quite a bit. . Also from everything I’ve read on the study I wouldn’t add a geraniol/linalool centric hop after the hotside. Bravo has twice the geraniol as Chinook and from my experience waaaay less of the dank/pine.

MrOH likes this.
  18. NorCalKid

Good suggestions. Have you used the Westmalle stain. Thinking about Imperials Triple Double. My HBS carries them fresh every two weeks, so I’m leaning that way.

19. wasatchback

I haven’t. However Achouffe would be a great call if you can’t get the De Konick strain I was talking about. It’s not overly phenolic not overly fruity, very balanced. Supposedly you can ferment it at 58 and it’s really clean although I never have. The Imperial version of it is Gnome. If I had to pick one yeast for everything Belgian it would probably be that. It ferments all over the temp range and is the only highly flocculent Belgian strain. Achouffe might make the most well know heavily dry hopped Belgian beer so their yeast would be a good candidate for what you want. I’ve never researched their process though.

NorCalKid likes this.
  20. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Something slightly similar going on here; kind of a clearing of the cupboard type thing.
    What issues might one encounter if doubling the amount of extract in a 5 gallon all-extract batch, specifically with regards to working with the high OG and yeast?

21. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,462) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

This (Achouffe) is my favorite strain so far for Belgian Pale Ales.

22. wasatchback

It’s also awesome for beers you’re going to secondary with Brett. Anchorage ferments it at 78 for one of their Brett Saisons and I really do think it’s the Sacch strain on Hill Farmsteads farmhouse beers. It combined with TYB-184 is as close as I think you can get to their beers.

MrOH likes this.
  23. MrOH

I haven't done a high gravity extract batch in years, but I'd figure the main thing to worry about would be high FG and darker color. If they're all lighter extracts, maybe add some D-90 and use a higher attenuating English strain for an old ale? Or just roll with it and use 3711 or whatever for a super saison?

Depending on how the Dubbel Mild w/ Voss Kveik I'm bottling in a couple of days tastes, I might just brew up a kitchen sink stout w/ HotHead or Voss to use all this malt up.

#23 MrOH, Jul 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    riptorn likes this.
  24. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (386) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

too many things.
    +1 T-58
    so many requests for a big october get together like,,
    a new smoked stout liquire
    IRS with nibs and aged on apple wood
    tooooo many pales/ipa
    blueberry quad
    smoked raspberry blond
    and the usual stouts
    orders in 3 bags marris otter, 1 german pills

25. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Appreciate the input.

It's gonna be dark, which is alright since I’m definitely not shooting for a particular style.
    This will be my second GROTTO brew (Getting Rid Of The Tired & Old) from antique stuff that I recently re-discovered and decided to use instead of tossing. If the results are “bad”, then c’est la vie and the only thing I’m out is time.
    The first batch (bottled two weeks ago) is “not bad” and surpasses “okay”; nowhere near being a dumper. Used old (by years) CBW Golden Light. OG was low, FG was higher than hoped. It’s dark.

On hand;
    Fermentables - 13 lbs wheat LME and ½ lb Munich LME.
    Yeasts - (1) US-05, (4) WB-06 and (1) T-58. Two of the WB-06 are past their best by dates, all other sachets are current.
    Pellet hops - 1 oz each German Tettnang, NZ Green, NZ Pacific Jade, Crystal, Chinook. Ample quantities of Azacca, El Dorado, Styr. Golding Celia, Hull Melon, Willamette, Hallertau Blanc & Tettnang US....and yes, the ample quantities came from 47Hops.
    Various flavorings; bitter & sweet orange peel, tangerine peel, coriander, grains of paradise. Heck, might even go loco and steep some fresh basil buds just to see what comes of it.

Trying to build from what’s on hand, but after some quick reads on 3711 it sounds appropriate for this time of year with my limited ferm temp control. Plus it looks like it’d work well with some of the add-ins I have.

26. Prep8611

Thinking about a light pale ale that will be exclusively hopped with el dorado and racked onto frozen pineapple with some lactose. Not a milk shake ipa cause I’m prolly not gonna use vanilla, wheat, or oats in this beer. Thinking something simple like pilsner and some carahell.

27. pweis909

Premium

I have used both of these yeasts recently and while both were passable, neither were sufficiently evocative of my favorites, WLP 565, WY3724, and WLP 585. Sure, the whole can be greater than the sum of the parts, but... I am skeptical.

Currently, I am boiling a grisette de saison wort and I will be pitching Imperial Organic Rustic, allegedly the equivalent of WY3726. Never used these before. I saw you liked 3726 in an old post, so I am hoping that our common ground on other saison yeasts will ring true for this one.

28. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (96) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Trying to plan a copper ale. Yet no matter how many times I shoot for copper, it always looks more brown to me...

29. JackHorzempa

Premium

Yes, I used WY3726 in the distant past and I thought it was a good yeast for a Saison. I tried to obtain WLP585 last summer but needless to say I failed (since this yeast is discontinued. So I bought 3726 last summer instead. This yeast made a fine Saison but.... this batch had too much banana for my preference and it did not attenuate as low as I prefer. Maybe this last (summer 2017) batch was an anomaly? Based upon this last batch I prefer to not use 3726 in any future batches.

Please let me know what you think of your 3726 beer.

As a FYI I visited the White Labs booth at HomebrewCon and once again pleaded that they bring WLP585 back. Needless to say but this latest round of pleadings was ineffective. WLP585 is gone, gone, gone.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

30. pweis909

Premium

Did White Labs provide any further explanation for dropping 585?

I’ll let you know what I think of IO’s Rustic, and by extension, 3726. It sure was quick to start fermenting. That’s about all I can say at this point

31. Prep8611

I’ve used it a few times. Doesn’t ferment like 3711 or belle saison but it definitely has a better flavor profile to my palate. I mash low (148) and use table sugar to dry it out. French saison yeast can be mashed at 160 and will still finish at 1.000

32. JackHorzempa

Premium

The same explanation that they sent me via e-mail: this product is a bitch to produce.

Cheers!

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  33. pweis909

Premium

At the risk of being naïve, do you or others have any ideas what could make it so problematic?

34. JackHorzempa

Premium

No specific details were provided to me; I was just told it was problematic to produce.

Cheers!

35. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (48) May 18, 2017 England

My plans are in about the usual state. I've got an angel on one shoulder telling me to stick to my main styles (which for me is basically sessionable British and American ales and porters), re-brew and tweak recipes, get to understand the core ingredients better, and keep up a stock of nice drinkable beers to share with non-beery friends and family. And then there's a devil on the other shoulder pointing out all the fun I could be having with exotic and historical beer styles, unusual malts, funky yeasts and daring combinations of flavours if I'd only stop being so boring. In practice I'll probably end up swinging between the two.

GreenKrusty101 likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Premium

Why not?

It's all good!!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

pweis909 likes this.
  37. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (427) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

For me? My “to brew” list looks like this which believe or not, typically stays pretty accurate... If anything, slight rearrange if need be for whatever reason.

1.) Munich Helles (to be brewed 6/14 or 6/15)

2.) My House Pils (brewed about two weeks after the Helles) - I rotate the two hops used between each iteration.

3.) NE DIPA of some sort (7-8% ABV)

4.) Festbier/Oktoberfest for a late Sept/Oct tapping

5.) Bitter/Mild or something comparable

6.) Likely another Pale/IPA (5%-ish)

7.) House Pils Again

38. JackHorzempa

Premium

What!?!:astonished:

Only one batch of a 'NEIPA' beer among that list of 7 batches?

I felt a disturbance in the force!:wink:

Cheers!

Scope4Beer, Prep8611 and invertalon like this.
  39. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (119) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

i just got back from poland and have a killer session ipa on tap with cashmere and el dorado. Id love to brew another session ipa but its really hot here so im thinking id be better off brewing a saison. Wish i had some hothead yeast because ive been meaning to try it. Ive also never brewed a saison so maybe 5 gallons saison 5 gallons us5 session beer and hope for the best 05 seems to ferment pretty clean no matter what i do to it If i went that angle any suggestions on hops to use grain bill etc?

40. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (427) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

What can I say... There is something about pouring a well made German Style lager that just does it for me! As much as I do love *good* NE IPA's, I typically only have one hoppy offering on at a time out of my four taps. It's easy enough to run to a store to grab a well done IPA around here, but not so easy to find a fresh Helles, Rauchbier, Festbier out of season, etc... So that's what I brew!

The other three taps include at least one Pilsner at all times if possible, probably my favorite style. (Prima Pils is on right now from Victory as I didn't have one in my pipeline and it is a favorite of mine). I must admit, I don't think I can go back to cans/bottles after having Prima fresh from the keg!

Then the last two being one rotating lager style beer (Rauchbier, Hefe, Marzen, Festbier, Dunkel, Baltic Porter) and the final handle whatever else I got going on, such as Imperial Stouts, Porter, Bitter, Sour, etc...

At this moment, my four on include:

Rauchbier
    Festbier
    Prima Pils (Victory)
    NE IPA

My type of lineup!

Witherby and MrOH like this.