What's Brewing? (July 2018)

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by MrOH, Jul 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrOH

MrOH Crusader (792) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Well, it's the 1st of July and a Sunday and no one has started this thread yet, so here it goes...

The ol' lady is out of town this week, so I'll be brewing an extract (pils DME and wheat DME) session IPA w/ Amarillo and Simcoe using HotHead at some point, and bottling the Dubbel Mild w/ Voss Kveik on Tuesday.

Hanglow, Buck89, SABERG and 2 others like this.
  2. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (108) Mar 4, 2013 Texas

Brewing a quad using kveik yeast, and bottled up an Azacca & pale ale SMASH NEIPA.

3. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (91) Jan 10, 2018 California

NEIPA... yes, the wife loves them. 2-Row + Flaked oats, Galaxy, Mosaic & Vic Secret, Juice(1318) Brewing it for my boys 3rd B-day party. Can’t go wrong beings they’re all the rage.

4. Lukass

Lukass Savant (913) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

My buddy and I will be brewing 20 gal of saison next weekend. We just settled on the recipe specifics tonight! Pilsner, white wheat, some Vienna and oats. 20 IBU with Southern cross as a flameout addition.

This will be a fun one, since the saison wort will be split into 4, 5-gal carboys and will get 4 different strains of yeast and varying dry hops

1. WY3726 with Lemon drop dry hop
    2. YB saison blend II with Amarillo dry hop
    3. CMY-01/Brett Brux Trois vrai blend with Mandarina Bavaria Dry hop
    4. YB saison blend I with hallertau blanc dry hop

Hanglow, HowzitBrew, SABERG and 6 others like this.
  5. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Initiate (195) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Brewed what I'm calling a granola brown ale today very early in the morning to beat the heat here in upstate NY.

Pale Ale malt, flaked oats, malted oats, Munich, c120, brown malt and touch of black malt. Bittered with chinook, fuggles and ctz from 47 hops for flavor. Us05.

Brew day went smooth other than missing my target og by a few points. Two beers in a row using great Western pale ale malt where my efficiency was a bit lower than usual.

Hanglow and GormBrewhouse like this.
  6. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Brewed a Mexican lager of sorts today.

Rahr 2 Row
    Flaked Corn
    Omega Mexican Lager yeast
    Motueka

Hopefully krausen my last Pilsner with a quart or two of this Mexican lager in a few days.

Boiling some of the leftover wort in two starters for some Saisons I’m gonna brew tomorrow.

80% Mecca Grade Lamonta Pale
    20% Mecca Grade Shaniko Wheat
    Magnum/Styrian Goldings

Split 6 gallons between 3726 and TYB Saison Blend II. Ferment em warm and compare. I’m actually gonna lager then for a little while before bottle conditioning them. My last saison has been lagering for two weeks, gotta bottle it hopefully Tuesday.

7. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (84) Dec 20, 2016 New York

Well my brew plans for yesterday got shot down by mother nature. Having a heat index of 103 degrees kept me from brewing and since I brew outside that was definitely out
    of the question. So I plan to brew on the 4th of July and its going to be my house neipa.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  8. NorCalKid

I was in that boat yesterday. High 90’s here in Nor Cal. Ground water with a pre- chiller got to only about mid 70’s. Luckily the keezer kicks ass and got it down to temp! Oh but don’t have the humidity like you guys.

9. TooHopTooHandle

Its been pretty brutal here man lol looks like I wont be brewing on the 4th of July either as that will be out hottest day yet.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  10. TooHopTooHandle

So I racked the remaining 2.5 gallons of my sour on to prickly pear and man is the color amazing.
    [​IMG]

11. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (49) May 12, 2017 California
    Trader

So 6 months off apparently requires that I make up for lost time. On Friday (June, I know!) I brewed a modified version of Northern Brewer's Alpha Leonis. I brewed this last year, and while I liked it quite a bit, I thought that it was a bit on the bitter and roasty side for the style they said it was nod to: tropical stout. So this time around I made some adjustments. The hops were 17% AA. They originally called for 1 oz. at 60, and 1 oz. at 30. I didn't think it needed quite that much for the 30 minute addition, so I went with .25 oz. I also lowered the amount of roasted barley, and did away with the (standard) carafa III, and made up for both in carafa III special. Also used wlp007, 'cause I love that stuff, and wanted it to finish on the drier end of the scale for the style. Fermented vigorously, and has slowed down a bit. I took a quick sample today, and my initial impression is that it is what I was looking for. Much smoother in both roast and bitterness. Still has about 15 points to get to where I want it, but coming along nicely.

And today I brewed a saison that I've been wanting to do for a while. Mostly Belgian pilsner, with some white wheat, flaked wheat and Vienna. .5 oz of Warrior at 60, 1 oz. Hallertau Blanc at 10, and 1 oz. Hallertau Blanc after flame out at around 180 through whirlpool. 1.5l starter of Wyeast 3726. It started showing signs of life after about 5 hours, and now cruising along nicely. Fermenting at a high-ish temperature for the first time; starting in the high 70s, and I'll be ramping up to the low 80s over the next couple of days (using a Ferm Wrap). Fermenting at these temps feels wrong! Ha ha! Everything I've heard suggests it'll be just fine. Wish me luck? :wink:

12. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,445) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Pre-chillers (i.e. an immersion chiller in a cooler of ice water) pretty much suck. OTOH, pumping ice water through an immersion chiller works a lot better.

13. loebrygg

loebrygg Initiate (146) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

Trying out some Cryo hops

OG: 1.068

10% Wheat
    2,5% Flaked Oats
    2,5% CaraPils

Mosaic @ 60 IBU, 60 min

2 g/L Cryo Citra & Mosaic @ 5, 0 min & dry (12 g/L)

Lukass and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. skleice

skleice Aspirant (244) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Today I'm bottling a case of GF Citra/Galaxy Pale Ale. Beer looks, smells and tastes great. I'm really starting to get a feel for these GF grains and the process.

Also, hoping to brew a Mosaic Pale Ale on Friday. I will tweak the grist just a bit by increasing the caramel malt and adding 2.5% quinoa which is supposed to help head retention....we'll see. This will also be the first time I will treat my water (got my Ward Labs info).

GormBrewhouse, Jesse14 and MrOH like this.
  15. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (411) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

I agree. Better to use a pump direct with ice water. I have been doing my last few with just tap water and a pre-chiller in ice water, but it takes a lot longer as it can't reduce the temp enough. With ice water, your getting 33-38F water or whatever in that immersion coil direct versus maybe 50-60F by the time the warm ground water gets through the pre-chiller.

Doing a Helles in a week and a half, which requires a hearty chill to about 48F, with my ground water in the 70's now... Need to start prepping a LOT of ice!

I typically use ground water to reduce the first bulk of temperature to about 120-140F or so, but then switch to the ice water. That why I don't waste the cooler temp.

For the topic:

Just moved my Rauchbier into holding in my keezer waiting for whatever next to kick (likely my Hefe or Festbier). Also have my experimental pale in the keg at 34F and my barrel aged stout... Three kegs on deck, just waiting for places to put them! Got a 1/6th of Prima Pils in the meantime on one of my taps, as my Pils ran out and I didn't have one in the pipeline. Prima is one of my absolute favorites, so it's been awesome. Need a great Pils on for these summer months!

Hanglow, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  16. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (790) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Brewed yesterday. Didn’t get started until 7 because I’m apparently a masochist.

Double decoction Helles that I finished up sometime after midnight. Sitting in the mid-40s now and just starting to see some activity.
    [​IMG]
    Pils and CaraHell, Tettnanger, WY2206. 10.4°SG. I’m shooting for 4.6%-4.9%ABV, 19 IBU, 3.6 SRM.

17. JohnnyChicago

JohnnyChicago Crusader (790) Sep 3, 2010 Illinois

Also, the last batch came out pretty damn tasty! The aroma is nuts! Someone cracks a can and you can smell it from across the room.
    [​IMG]
    I’m done with you kids’ hazies for the year, though! All classic styles from here on out! :stuck_out_tongue:

18. marknu1

Trader

That's exactly what I do. In San Diego, our ground water is almost never cold enough to get my wort to pitching temp. I chill with ground water down to about 110-120, and then pump ice water through the chiller to reach my desired temp.

19. NorCalKid

Ya. I’m starting to be a believer that pre-chillers suck. F’n ice melts almost instantly. Might have to invest in an aquarium pump.

20. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,445) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

That's been a "no regrets" investment for everyone I know of that has made it. But you're really looking for a "pond" pump. The ones labelled "aquarium" are often very low volume/low HP (and more suited to fermentation jackets than wort chilling).

21. NorCalKid

Thanks man I’ll look into that. In the winter the pre chiller works great but right now maybe better to build one of those, my keezer knocks it down quick so that helps but I’m an impatient bastard.

22. marknu1

Trader

NorCalKid likes this.
  23. TooHopTooHandle

Just brewed an NEIPA with Mosaic, Eldorado, and Amarillo. Cheers and happy 4th to everyone!
    [​IMG]

24. storm72

storm72 Initiate (84) Jul 4, 2010 Illinois

I have a Franconian style kellerbier in my fermentation chamber at the moment. It's just Pilsner, dark Munich, Perle, and Saflager W34/70. It's a simple beer I can turn around quickly that will be great to have on hand for the rest of the summer.

skleice and GormBrewhouse like this.
  25. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (370) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottleing a "message recieved" dipa with citra, galexy and centenial, and a nut brown

marknu1, JohnnyChicago and skleice like this.
  26. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

First Brut attempt today and it’s a total experiment...

Using my well water for the second time which is not awesome. I only know total hardness and alkalinity. Preboiled and decanted and managed to get the mash PH corect which was a bit of a miracle.

60% Rahr 2
    40% Mecca Pale
    Touch of Acid malt

Blend of Nugget, Bravo, Nelson at 175 WP.

K1v-1116 Wine Yeast
    Ag300 enzyme

Dry Hop with some Nelson and maybe a bit more Bravo.

Interested to see what the biotransformation of the hops with the highest content of linalool and gernaiol will contribute. In my experience the K1v-116 yeast does some really interesting things to hops.

MrOH likes this.
  27. NorCalKid

Good podcast on Basic Brewing with Cris Colby on the style. ~5/17/18 Brut IPA~

MrOH likes this.
  28. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Aspirant (280) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee

I used the holiday to brew up an imperial stout. I’d never attempted a beer this big but actually exceeded my expectations at hit 1.116 OG. I was hoping to hit 1.110. I split the wort into two fermenters to avoid blowoff losses. Despite the oppressive heat it was a nearly flawless brew day.

29. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (110) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I usually don’t brew in the summer. It’s too hot, weekend are always busy, and it’s too hot, . But it looks like this Saturday here in New England the hot and humid weather is about to break! Luckily I have everything I need to brew thanks to my procrastination last spring.

10 gallon batch
    65% Belgian Pilz
    30% white wheat
    5% flaked wheat
    Turbid mash, extended boil, aged hops
    Belgian Saison yeast and a shit tun of bugs (from my Solera)

I’am considering a ‘no chill’ for this batch. I’ve never done one so for those who do, any tips would be appreciated. One question: do you just leave the batch in the kettle, or do you transfer into the fermenter? (I have a stainless steel fermenter.)

Cheers,
    Mike

Jesse14, telejunkie, skleice and 2 others like this.
  30. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (370) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Brewing smoked magik tonight

thebriansmaude and skleice like this.
  31. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (39) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

I'm on day two of primary fermentation on voss kveik, of an IPA with late additions of cascade, southern cross and a mosaic dry hop. 2 days at 35 °c (!) and the temperature is still not dropping. crazy yeast :-). i expect it to be done in a few more days.

thebriansmaude likes this.
  32. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (236) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Club brew day up at a local pond on Sunday...they've got soft water up there, so going to take advantage by brewing up a "Kolsch"...will be Pils & carahell grain bill, but using Willamette hops and fermented with US-05.

@GormBrewhouse, you're gonna need to fill me in on what smoked magik is...considering the law changes this month, got my mind thinking...

skleice likes this.
  33. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (236) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

Sounds tasty!! Would love to hear how your turbid mash goes...must be 10 years since i've done one.

I would say dump into the fermenter...I've chilled a few times in one of the SS Brewtech buckets. Any way to help the cooling process along, especially for the final push to pitch temp (say after 12 hours)? Going from 100F to 75-80F or whatever your planned pitch temp maybe, can take a while, especially 10 gal...or you planning on pitching the bugs at elevated temps, then pitching saison yeast lower?

LakesideBrewing likes this.
  34. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (55) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

Just brewed up a kettle soured saison. Soured with 2 bio-K probiotic shots (they claim each shot has minimum 50 billion lacto plantarum cells) for two days, then boiled for 45 minutes with bit of Mt. Hood. Fermenting now with a big starter of wyeast farmhouse ale. Sample tasted awesome! Plan on racking it onto 5 lbs of Saskatoon berries once they ripen up, then bottle so I can share around!

Also brewed up an american sour fermented with a pack of wyeast lactobacillus for a day over heat, then pitched wyeast brett lambicus, a scoop of slurry from a roeselaire ferment, some propped up 1056 and plan on adding some bottle dregs from whatver sour beers I decide to buy in the next couple days. Will rack into a carboy and let it age for at least 6 months, then probably add a bit of french oak and let it go another few months.

skleice likes this.
  35. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (110) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

The turbid mash I do is pretty much what Cantillon does, explained on the MTF web site. I’ve done it quite a few times and it works really well.

No, I always pitch my yeast/bugs at low temps around 65. Thanks for the info,

36. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Brewed a NEIPA with sacch trois. Cashmere, centennial, azacca and motueka hops. Just added my first round of dry hops.

Currently brewing a gose. I'll be souring with goodbelly and pitching sacch trois. Hoping to fruit it on some local peaches.

37. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,730) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Got home from work and decided it was a good day to taste beer. Can you imagine that?

I have three beers in fermenters, so I decided to taste them, uncarbonated:
    1. My Admittedly Imperfect Dubbel, fermented from 1.064 to 1.011 in five days. The thickness of the yeast layer on this beer is something to see (sorry, I didn't take pics!). You could rub this stuff into your beard and shave. Despite this, it could be done fermenting, and frankly, I'd be happy if it stopped here. It is really tasty. The first thing I got out of this is a bready/biscuit note, followed by a slight sweetness enhanced by Belgian fruity clovey characters, with a a dry finish. FWIW, I used the Imperial Organic Triple Double yeast, which, while not prescribed specifically in the Averagely Perfect Dubbel, is generally recognized as the Westmalle strain. The key imperfection, though, is using caravienne instead of caramunich, but I think it tastes great.
    2. My 52 Shades of Grey Grisette Saison (I'll leave you to figure that out). 1.052 OG (hint), 1.006 PG (that's present gravity). Making a nod to the reputedly under-modified wheat malt used in grisette, I used ~10% German wheat malt and ~5% spelt malt, with the understand that the spelt malt is less modified. Don't know for sure. I never used spelt malt before (used raw spelt once), but I doubt it has much impact in this recipe beyond that which exists in my mind. The rest was Belgian pils. This beer used Imperial Organic Rustic, which is allegedly the same strain as WY3726 (@JackHorzempa , take note). In my own brewing experience, there is a saison spectrum, with the Belgian saison strains and the late great WLP 585 strain at the LOVE IT end of the spectrum, and the WY3711/Belle Saison/Fermentis 134 yeasts at the merely OK end of the spectrum. Rustic is somewhere between. It does hint of the fruit that I find in the Belgian and 585 strains, but not as big as those. It doesn't seem to have the strong clove & pepper that I get out of the 3711 complex (note -- I have no evidence of any relationship among these yeasts other than the impressions they made on my taste buds). Rustic seems to be a good yeast for letting some of the malt character shine, which I do not get from 3711 and friend. There is a grainy/bready note here.
    3. My blended kriek, which is half a batch of brown porter mixed with an approximately equal volume of a low gravity cherry wine. The cherry aroma is great, and the chocolate note from the porter complements, but the resulting blend is too watery. I wanted to make it a session beer, but I think it needed the full batch of the brown porter rather than the half batch, to give more malt backbone. There was some lacto in this, but I think it could also use some Brett (doesn't have any).

38. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

I ran out of propane mid-boil and forgot to add my coriander and sea salt at flameout so it looks like I'm making a Berliner instead of a Gose.

39. 911CROFT

911CROFT Devotee (415) May 18, 2015 United Kingdom (England)
    Trader

Small test batch of NE DIPA on the stove today.

80% Golden Promise
    15% Flaked Oats
    5% Dextrose

Hopping based on Cloudwater published rates. Small Columbus addition at 60 then Amarillo & El Dorado @
    6g/L Whirlpool
    10g/L Biotransformation
    15g/L DH

I’m kind of hoping it’s not that good! Scaling it up to a full batch is not cheap!

frozyn likes this.
  40. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,202) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

We recently moved across town and I haven't brewed recently, but I'm finally getting time to set things up in the new house. Last night, I took apart the keezer for a deep clean and changed the beer lines, removing all the f%*#ing Oetiker clamps:rage: without bodily harm. I'm hoping to brew a SMaSH pale ale soon to dial in the new system.

Supergenious likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.