What's Brewing - June '17 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by scurvy311, Jun 1, 2017.

1. scurvy311

scurvy311 Disciple (343) Dec 3, 2005 Louisiana

JUNE UPDATE

June 3rd
    5% ABV turbid mash Pils/wheat/spelt/oats/cascade/1318 that will get TYB261 in secondary and put up for 3-6 months

June 11th
    3.2% ABV chewy malty breakfast beer for Florida vacation Pils/biscuit/aromatic/GNO/35L Carastan/1469 with U1/108 SAfrican hops

June 25th
    To-style Helles using Best Malz Pils with H. Mittlefruh and Montueka for my baby brother

Sour Update:
    Added a keg of Galaxy/Citra all late-hopped IPA spiked with TYB Melange/Amalgamation/TYB261 (revisit in 6months)

We should have 3 sour and/or brett kegs ready to be blended and bottle conditioned by the end of this month.

2. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

Got 2 kegs of Saison and am going to dose one with Rooibos Tea this weekend.

#2 jbakajust1, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (364) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Brewed a Brett brown ale today. I'm fermenting it with OYL-212, and will secondary this one in a used bourbon barrel for a while, with the possibility of adding peaches (we'll see).

Next week I'll be brewing an amber mexican lager. This will probably be my last batch for a while, (summers get busy). However, i do have a pretty solid pipeline of beer to get me thru the summer. Cheers.

4. Lukass

Lukass Champion (899) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I've got 10 days next week of being kid-less and wife-less. Gotta take advantage of this time. I'll be brewing around 17 gal of beer.

Splitting an 11 gal batch of citra pale ale between imperial organic A24 yeast and Brett C. Also doing a 6-gal batch of Berliner weisse and adding a bunch of pulverized freeze dried blueberries at flameout. We'll see what happens! I haven't been able to find a lot of information out there on brewing with freeze dried fruit.

5. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,073) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

I brewed an IPA on Memorial Day. 65% pearl and 35% oats (split between naked and flaked). Hopped with Citra and Denali all between 10 minutes and flame out. More Denali for bio hops this morning at 2.5 days in. Should be about 7.2%.

6. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (364) May 9, 2011 Michigan

That sounds like a great beer. I used Denali for the first time about a month ago in a pale ale, and I was impressed. It's a pineapple bomb! Paired with Citra should be awesome.

7. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (242) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Pina Colada IPA (maybe double)
    Stout Malt, Oat Malt, Dextrine, flaked Wheat
    El Dorado/ Denali
    WLP644 fermented warm
    Mash High
    Raw Wildflower Honey
    Toasted Coconut in Secondary
    Maybe lactose in secondary if it needs it

Sort of a crazy take on El Dorado Cutting tiles. That beer was straight Dole Pineapple juice when you cracked it. The El Dorado mixed with the wildflower honey aromatics did something to it. My clone attempt was actually very similar which I was pretty surprised at. I really I don't want to use pineapple but get all the pineapple from yeast and hops (Denali, El Dorado).

8. inkman15

inkman15 Aspirant (208) Oct 28, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Been brewing like crazy for my friend's wedding. Right now I'm fermenting 2 batches of a NE IPA:
    • 2 Row
    • White Wheat
    • Carapils
    • Flaked Oats
    • Flaked Barley
    • Simcoe/Citra/Mosaic/Amarillo (10 min addition and a huge dose at flame out with Simcoe slightly favored)
    • London III yeast
    • 6oz biotransformation hops added a few days ago and 6 more being added when I hit FG
    • ~7.5% ABV
    First batch turned out great, so these are just duplicates. Also fermenting a Saison:
    • Pils
    • White Wheat
    • Caramunich
    • Flaked Oats
    • Sorachi Ace and Fuggles at 30 and 15. FWH bittering addition.
    • Orange blossom honey and cracked pepper at 5 min
    • 3711 French Saision yeast
    • ~7% ABV but that yeast is a monster, so the first batch is closer to 8%. Got down to 1.006!

9. Lukass

Beer Trader

What strain of yeast did you use? That sounds like its going to make for a juicy IPA

crcostel and FeDUBBELFIST like this.
  10. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,073) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

1318 :grimacing:
    Im trying so hard to find a yeast that works better in a juicy IPA and I can't.

crcostel and Lukass like this.
  11. StupidlyBrave

StupidlyBrave Initiate (153) Jan 2, 2009 Pennsylvania

Re-brewed a favorite - Citra/Mosaic IPA. Yet it was plan "B". Rather than rely on the Brew shop's mill, I had purchased a mill last month and set the gap to be what I thought was .04. I used some feeler gauges I had since the last century and I think I ended up much more fine than I intended. So after two stuck sparges and 82% efficiency (I was looking for about 70), she is in the fermenter. I guess those feeler gauges were better suited for distributor points and spark plugs.

Boil-off is still a problem for me. I started with 7gal in the kettle and ended 5 in the fermenter with a 75min boil. The recipe was for 5.5 gal. So with the increased efficiency and the reduced volume, there will be a little more horsepower in this one than it is supposed to have.

I've since re-adjusted the gap in the mill. I used the combination of various cards from my wallet and measured from my vernier calipers (.04). I once did a beetle tune-up using four folds of a dollar bill and that worked great. So I hope my new technique is a similar improvement.

I hope to make a Hefeweisen next (a lawnmower beer). Not sure if it will be German or American. I might have considered this right now -it was originally plan "A". But the recipe I had called for flaked wheat and the brew shop didn't have any.

12. redmaw

redmaw Aspirant (236) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

Just mashed in a batch that's quite an experiment (for me at least), and I'm not sure what to call it. I used a grain bill from an Irish red kit (more beers), but dropped a couple of ounces of special b, and added 2 lbs of rye. Then for hops I wanted to try something from new Zealand, so I have 2 ounces each of motueka and wakatu, and just because that wasn't enough I'm using danstar abbeye for the yeast. I've never used rye before and never even tasted a beer with NZ hops, so I really don't know what to expect here. The recipe ends up looking like this:

10 lbs 2 row
    2 lbs rye
    1 lbs c120
    .5 lbs caramunich
    .5 lbs aromatic
    4 oz roasted barley

OG should be around 1.065 and the FG around 1.013 for about 7% abv

Mash at 152 for 90 minutes

.25 oz each motueka and wakatu @30
    .75 oz each @15
    1 oz each @5
    For a total of about 40 ibus

I ideas what to call this? Belgian style hoppy red? A complete mess?

13. Hanglow

Hanglow Defender (637) Feb 18, 2012 United Kingdom (Scotland)

My first brew today in what must be 7 months. I decided to keep it simple and just do a golden ale to try out my homegrown hops

OG 1.046
    88.4 % Pilsner malt
    8.4 % carahell
    3.2 % Torrified wheat

15g warrior@ 60mins
    50g Hallertau mittelfruh 20mins
    50g Hallertau mittelfruh 5mins

Step mash, 60mins@ 61c 45mins @ 71C

BRY97

14. makisupapolice14

makisupapolice14 Aspirant (200) Jun 5, 2005 New York

Brewed princetigator, a west coast sculpin like clone, while enjoying paw check pale, a hoppy wheat pale ale (which made it to semis for best of show in a local home brew comp today). Also kegged a kolsch a few days ago
    [​IMG]

15. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (256) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottled the spruce on cherrywood and the spruce on citra ales, bottleing wake up dead clone on nibs tommorrow.

SFACRKnight, Eggman20, frozyn and 5 others like this.
  16. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (473) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Another double brew day is almost in the books.

Today it is 2 pilsners. Exact same OG, yeast, hop bill, and targeted SRM. The only difference is in the grist. One has a small amount of biscuit malt and the other has a small amount of dark munich malt.

17. Lukass

Beer Trader

I would think the roasted barley and NZ hops wouldn't go too well together, but who knows. I've had black IPAs before with a roasty/fruity character that just seems to work IMO. Never used the abbeye strain but I'm sure it'll put out all sorts of esters. Along with the nz hops, rye and other specialty malts it'll be interesting for sure!

GormBrewhouse and crcostel like this.
  18. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (189) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Kegged the Ariana single hop with Dryhop yeast. Not as exciting a hop as I was hoping but it's only been in the keg for 3 days. Also decided the Hefeweizen half of the batch will get a dose of lactic acid and become a Berliner weisse

19. Tripel_Threat

Tripel_Threat Meyvn (1,366) Jun 29, 2014 Michigan

Just bottled my second batch - ever- a gallon batch of wheat ale with Constant Comment tea. Also racked my third batch, a Tripel, to secondary last night. Both extract recipes. The house still smells pretty great.

20. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (64) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Brewed my BPA today. Belgian pilsner, Caravienne and a hint of Aromatic. Boosted by D45 candi syrup which I havent heard of anyone using before. 3522 is working on it as we speak.

Only hitch of the day is my fermometer finally died so i have another one coming today.

frozyn, scottakelly, Lukass and 3 others like this.
  21. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,480) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

Just checked the gravity on my Pilsner, brewed 7 days ago. Only my 4th lager and the first one using 2206. Pitched a large starter at 56 degrees and started at that temp. Krausen in less than a day and it dropped yesterday. It's at 1.010 (81% AA) today, so I'm ramping up to the high 60s for a D-rest. Should I be surprised by this?

22. frozyn

frozyn Disciple (355) May 16, 2015 New York
    Beer Trader

Currently mashing a Blonde Ale that I plan on bittering with Brewer's Gold, and then adding more with some Citra at flameout to get that spicy/fruity combo. Thinking I might have overshot my mash pH, so this may be the batch that I finally send off samples to Ward's to get my water profile truly put together.

23. redmaw

redmaw Aspirant (236) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

The roasted barley is there for color more than anything else, there wasn't much flavor from it in the Irish red I based this on. I have used abbeye before on a Cascade hopped pale ale and it was quite good. I am more concerned about the hops not coming through with so much going on, or the whole thing being a muddled mess. But what's life without a little risk?

Lukass and GormBrewhouse like this.
  24. GomerB

GomerB Initiate (111) Jan 23, 2016 Nebraska

Technically this was brewed in May, but just added a half pound of blueberries to a 1 gal batch of blonde ale. What a mess pushing berries in a muslin bag in a tiny fermenter opening!

This beer is inspired by my wife and daughter who have blonde hair and blue eyes...so a blonde ale with blueberries!
    [​IMG]

25. KCUnited

KCUnited Aspirant (204) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Kegged a hazy IPA today: TFPearl, Flaked Oats, Columbus, Galaxy, El Dorado, WY1318

[​IMG]

26. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (256) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Tommorrow, brewing a stout with star anise, cinnamon sticks and vanilla.

27. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

Last night I started my funky kriek/brett/aged red/whatever.

12lbs pale 2 row
    1lbs caramel 60
    1/2lb pale chocolate

mashed @148F for 90 mins, sparged to 7g. Brought to a boil and chilled to 100F and racked into my sanitized igloo mash tun. Added a starter of WY Lacto and 2 shots of Goodbelly mango.

I'll be keeping it at 110 with a heating pad until Friday when I'll do an hour boil with 1oz of Saaz, then pitch a double stepped starter of WY Brett Lambicus. I have 2lbs of D-180 to add during the ferment. After the main ferment is done I'll add some toasted oak and possibly some tart cherry extract(if it's not cherry enough for me) and cocoa nib vodka tea, and then throw into a keg to secondary under pressure until possibly September.

#27 Beerswimmer, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  28. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,062) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber

This weekend I am brewing 15 gals of NW/NE Hybrid IPA. Pale Malt, Flaked Oats, Dark Wheat Malt, Carastan, Carapils, Sugar, Mandarina Bavaria, Simcoe, Citra, only CaCl, GigaYeast Vermont, heavy late editions, fermentation hopping, and dry hopping. Going to drop it bright. I am shooting for the fuller mouthfeel and explosive hops and esters of a NE with the dry finish, bright appearance, and light malt sweetness NW. One keg is definitely getting Habanero. Thinking another keg might get peach puree with Amarillo/Mandarina.

Also building up old dregs of 2 Cantillon Brett isolates. Tried numerous times in the past to no avail. I have some new yeast growth on this attempt and I'm going to rinse the yeast and then add to fresh starter.

On top of this I am isolating yeast I got from nectarine blossoms in my back yard. I am on the second plating and have a few good looking colonies. Will step them up in starters here soon, then run fermentation trials on them.

#28 jbakajust1, Jun 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  29. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (372) May 2, 2006 Utah

Last Sunday I kegged my recent Rye IPA (an APA IPA variant, of sorts) It's being dry hopped in the keg with a stainless-steel keg dry-hop mesh container thingy that I picked up on Saturday.

Today I got the first stage of a starter going for next Monday's brew, a Session APA/IPA. This beer started out as John Snow's Pale Ale, but I decided to cut the OG back to 1.042. I might tweak the crystal-malt bill a bit. Still ruminating on that.

Cheers!

30. azurel

azurel Disciple (346) May 27, 2016 Michigan
    Subscriber Beer Trader

We have a NEIPA coming this month hopefully....

We will be bottling 10g of a Citra/Mosaic UP A and 15g of a Belgian dubble with cherry rose blossom tea....5g of that is being aged on cherry wood and Sake.

31. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (148) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Got my starter going of Imperial Organic A24 Dry Hop. Really excited to try this new to me yeast on another version of my IPA. Going with 2 row, flaked wheat, flaked barley, carafoam, red wheat and some rye on this one. Big use of galaxy hops, some simcoe, and experimental grapefruit from Yakima Valley.

32. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Kegged the 2-row and 6-row cream ales.

DrMindbender, frozyn, Lukass and 2 others like this.
  33. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (189) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Brewing a mostly pilsner pale ale with mosaic Amarillo and azacca. us5 in both halves. I will Dryhop both the same and sour one batch with lactic acid. I really enjoyed the comparison of the single hop Ariana pale I brewed last but one was dryhopped and used Dryhop yeast which made me even more certain that I don't like citrus yeast. The soured version with Munich yeast and no dryhops is a totally different beer. both yeasts from the last batch had a lot of character but I'm ready for a more neutral yeast. Citrus yeast seems to enhance the dryness of the beer making it seem too dry. might work better in a big beer ive never gone over 6% with citrus

34. Prep8611

Prep8611 Initiate (148) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Cream of three crops 10 gallon for a party and 5 gal strawberry blonde for my wife

35. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (266) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky
    Beer Trader

Brewing 2 Saisons this month. One I did yesterday and is bubbling away nicely, and another on June 22 that I will be adding strawberries to!

Cheers

36. corbmoster

corbmoster Aspirant (253) Dec 15, 2014 Texas
    Beer Trader

Brewed a hoppy saison with belgian pils, viena, and white wheat. I also got to try out my new keg king mk 2 pump, and my new hop screen.

Buck89, DrMindbender, frozyn and 3 others like this.
  37. MyThoughtsExactly

MyThoughtsExactly Disciple (303) Jun 10, 2015 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Currently cold crashing a NE DIPA. I'll be kegging it in a few days then leaving it to carb while I'm on vacation.

38. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,480) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

Just kegged a Pils. Tasting the leftovers while finishing up the mash on a Azacca/Mosaic pale ale.
    [​IMG]

39. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

Woke up early and figured I would tick something off my homebrew list. Not enough time to brew but enough time to make invert sugar #2 to use in the averagely perfect esb recipe.

40. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (148) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Brewed my IPA up over the weekend. Ended up being nearly 70% eff with the mash for no sparge. I had only been 62% my last 3 times so my OG crept up to 1.070. No biggie. Just end up going for a lighter double or bigger single. Regardless, I don't know if I'll sparge again anytime soon. The extra $ in grain is worth the time and effort saved for me. Flame on to yeast pitched in 5 gal in 4 hours helps a ton to brew more often.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.