What's Brewing - June '17 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by scurvy311, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

I bottled a NE/Belgian IPA. My standard NE IPA but with Westmalle yeast. But due to a recent rhinoplasty(barfight medal, I'm a mouthbreather) I have zero idea what it tastes or smells like.....:slight_frown:

2. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Champion (893) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

I brewed 8 batches in 2 weeks as soon as I started my summer break in May, so I haven't needed to brew until today really. This morning I kegged an all Citra Kolsch and a blended Sour that I'm donating to a local Summer Solstice festival and then I brewed up a 4 gallon no boil batch to add back into the Sour fermenter to refill it and keep that pipeline going. I blended 1 gallon of an older very puckery and complex whiskey barrel aged sour (multiple wild sacc, 4 lacto strains and 3 brett strains) with 4 gallons of a very light simple younger sour/Berliner Weisse (German ale yeast, 5 lacto strains and some Brett lambicus)...turned out pretty good for only my 3rd blend! My original intent was to donate a straight keg of the whiskey sour, but the organizer of the festival tried it and thought it was too sour for the masses.

3. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (473) May 9, 2007 Ohio

A double brew day on Saturday. I need to slow down, lol. A 5 gallon batch of a slightly modified Avg Perfect ESB and 5 gallons of ESB using my tried and true normal recipe. It will be interesting to do a side by side, mainly to look for the Target hops (my modification was no Northdown) and the impact of using the invert sugar (my normal recipe is all malt).

I skipped the Northdown for the APESB. I was not a fan of having two unfamiliar hops in this recipe anyway, plus did not feel like placing an online order for only an ounce of Northdown since I could not source it from my LHBS or normal online retailer. Plus I want to know what the Target is adding to the mix anyway.

I will add that unless the invert sugar blows me away it will be my last attempt to make it. It's a PITA.

Overall I was amazed at how smooth, and fast, the brew day went. I got two 5 gallon batches done in 5 hours. It usually takes me that long to do one 10 gallon batch.

4. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (473) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Have fun. I know I did not. This might be the stickiest and hardest to clean substance on earth.

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (372) May 2, 2006 Utah

Brewed up the John Snow House Pale Ale, with 2 changes. (1) I cut the base grain back to hit an OG of 1.042 and (2) I added 5 oz of spruce tips at 10 min. The spruce tips had been previously vacuum packed and frozen. When I opened up the package the tips were quite wet (no doubt the freezing burst the cells) and the smell was mostly unripe Mango with a bit of spruce. In the cooled wort the spruce seems to come through in the finish as a bit of bitterness and astringency. After the boil the spruce tip had no aroma. As this beer is a bit of a hop bomb (for a pale ale) I don't expect the spruce to dominate; my goal is to have it complement the hops. Will be interesting to see how this one develops. Cheers!

6. pweis909

pweis909 Meyvn (1,453) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Supporter Subscriber

This is not my first sugar syrup rodeo. However, it really does seem to be the most viscous version I've ever made. I don't think I made a mess, but I did have to run off to work. I know I filled the pot with water to soak, but it occurs to me that I did not wipe down the stove top and adjacent countertop.

7. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (121) May 12, 2017 California

Nothing in the fermenters yet, but when my wife asked me what I wanted to do for Father's Day, I said "brew" :slight_smile:

I'll be brewing Briess' Biere de Garde I:
    http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Recipes/beer/display/biere-de-garde-i

A couple of notes on this one:

1. The recipe says the target OG is 1.065, but no way am I getting that OG in a 5-gallon batch with the grain bill they list. I even emailed them to ask what they actually meant. Surprisingly I got a response the next morning. And yeah, there's a typo. I asked for grain percentages, and was told to shoot for 88.5% for the base, and 3.8% for each specialty malt (which, in my system, came out to about 12 lbs 6.5 oz base, and 8.5 oz specialty malts).

2. The recipe calls for wlp072, French Ale. Currently that's in "The Vault" at White Labs, so I can't get that one. I'm going with Wyeast 3725, Biere de Garde. Seems fitting. Ha ha!

And since I seem to be having a farmhouse ale "problem" right now, if I can swing it, I'll be trying to brew a Tank 7 clone in June, as well.

Lukass, frozyn, scottakelly and 2 others like this.
  8. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (474) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I have a yeast starter of my 5th generation WY1056 strain chugging for Sunday's brew day. This is my final pitch of this strain before I buy a new pack to keep re-harvesting.

The beer this weekend is a palate wrecking, dank IPA. 6% ABV and 100 IBU (theoretical is somewhere around 200, FWIW).

Chinook, Nugget, Simcoe, Centennial and Columbus dominate the hop bill. With a touch of Galaxy and Citra in the dry hop (along with the first five in various quantities). Expected FG is 1.006-1.008... Looking for a purposely un-balanced, bitter IPA. Big charge of Chinook as a hopefully "harsh" bittering hop, vs. my typical Columbus. After brewing so much NE IPA lately, I want complete opposite side of the spectrum.

Then piggybacking next week is my second variant of my "International Bitter" recipe, 3.4% ABV and 30 IBU. Golden Promise, Pilsner, Vienna, Carapils, Midnight Wheat, Carafa Special II and Melanoiden malt. Magnum, Mittelfrueh and Galaxy for the hopping.

After that, too many options I want to brew and not enough time… Vienna Lager, Rauchbier, Pilsner, various pales/IPA’s, coffee/cocoa/bourbon porter, etc… I need to invite some more friends over to start killing these kegs sooner.

9. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (116) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Planning on attempting my first Barleywine this weekend! Made an imperial "blonde" ale last weekend that I plan to reuse the 1272 yeast from. Hoping to push the ABV to 12% with this one so will need to use some tricks to keep the yeast happily going in the primary!

Going with 2 Row and Golden Promise for base along with some Crystal 90, Carapils, White Wheat, Sugar, and a bit of acidulated to help with the PH. Nugget, Fuggle, Northern Brewer hop mix. Will probably be adding additional sugar to primary during fermentation to keep it going. And will be oaking it as well.

GormBrewhouse, Lukass, frozyn and 3 others like this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Initiate (188) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania

How well did the pH drop in this beer? 110F is a bit hot for Goodbelly. Which strain of WY lacto did you use? If it was 5335 - L. buchneri that's quite a bit hotter than it likes as well.

Just curious, is all.

11. EvenMoreJesus

Next weekend I'll brew another NE DIPA. Maris Otter & winter wheat plus a couple pounds of white sugar. Cascade, Citra, and Comet. Maybe some Amarillo. We'll see how I feel on brewday. Couple packets of Muntons Dry Ale yeast. Easy peasy, lemon squeezey.

12. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Disciple (346) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee
    Beer Trader

Here's my kettle soured gose. 50% 2 row & 50% pale wheat. 10 IBUs and added .8 oz of pink Himalayan salt near flameout. I cultured up Bell's Oberon yeast. Added guava nectar and 3 lbs of mango after fermentation had finished. Going to let it sit on the fruit until next Friday. Can't wait to try it!

13. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (474) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Yakima Valley Hops just got in fresh 2017 Galaxy Hops... Jumped on 2lb of those real quick! I only had about 6oz left of my 2016 harvest left, so glad I was able to re-stock already!

14. Beerswimmer

Beerswimmer Initiate (160) Mar 4, 2013 Michigan

No idea. I couldn't find my test kit, I think my wife tossed it during our recent spring cleaning. I'll know in a few weeks when I take a gravity reading. The wort started at 100F, but I didn't use a heating pad. I wanted to let the Wyeast get a hold, and let the Goodbelly take over after. It was in a 80F room for 5 days. Hopefully it soured!

DrMindbender and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  15. EvenMoreJesus

I think you'd have a way better chance at that temperature than at 110F.

16. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,480) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

I'm feeling the same way. Next brew here will be along the lines of a Pliny clone.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  17. EvenMoreJesus

Elder or Younger?

18. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

Kegged a NZ Super Alpha single hopped Session IPA this morning...this is the end of a series of 7 New Zealand and Australian single hop IPAs. Right now I'm brewing up the 2nd in a series of 4 Experimental hop single hop IPAs with an Experimental J-Lime Session IPA...this will replace the NZ/Aussie pipeline.

Going kayaking and deep water bouldering all day tomorrow, but should be able to still keg a beer I'm calling "Oxymoron", a New England Cascadian Dark Ale:slight_smile:

19. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

You shouldn't have any problems souring at those temps...I use Goodbelly/L. plantarum and L. buchneri (along with L. brevis) in all of my sours and I pitch wort between 120-130 and allow it to free fall to around 85-90 for the rest of fermentation. I usually have a fairly complex sour in a month or so and prefer this method over kettle souring any day!

thebriansmaude likes this.
  20. EvenMoreJesus

That just made me shudder.

FeDUBBELFIST likes this.
  21. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

Hahahaha...why? I've made several and they turn out fantastic! This one is heavy on Citra and Exp Grapefruit.

22. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (116) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)

On the 3rd, brewed up my third Zombie Dust clone , just cuz I had some citra kickin around (also because I can't get enough of that beer) Did a small bio transformation dry hop on that batch so we shall see how that affects the flavor!

On the 10th brewed up an IPA targeting 7% and 70 ibu, just because there's something about that symmetry that I like... Sort of a Gigantic IPA clone with a lb of Munich in the grist, but hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo exclusively cuz thats what I had available!

23. EvenMoreJesus

I'm picturing a murky dark IPA. Just can't seem to get the picture out of my head.

24. EvenMoreJesus

Like that combination a lot.

DrMindbender and thebriansmaude like this.
  25. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

It's really tasty and blends/integrates the dark grains better than in a clean version IMO. This is the last of a series of about 20 NE IPAs over the past year or so...I'm getting tired of the style personally, so I wanted something a little different to finish it off. Replacing that pipeline with a series of Hot Head yeast hoppy beers. I haven't tried that yeast yet but would love to hear anyone's experience with it and fruity IPAs!

FeDUBBELFIST and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  26. EvenMoreJesus

Was never very partial to the Cascadian Dark Ale concept to begin with. Never really had one that made me say, "Now THAT'S better than a normal colored IPA!".

So . . . a hoppy kviek? What kind of grist and hop schedule are you thinking about?

DrMindbender likes this.
  27. Buck89

Buck89 Meyvn (1,480) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Supporter Beer Trader

Elder. Have not had PTY. I also want something in the 8-9% ABV range...

DrMindbender and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  28. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

Yep...gonna brew my house session IPA (75% 2 Row, 20% White Wheat, 5% Light Carastan and Citra & Nelson heavy) with it first and then go from there. I reuse my yeast cakes for around 5 generations, so I always do a low OG first brew to act as a big starter, then I harvest 3-4 jars of yeast from that batch for future brews and add another low OG brew for 2nd batch to build up for an average OG and above 3rd batch on.

GormBrewhouse and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  29. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

You like Munton's yeast? And for that style? Munton's gets a bad name from many brewers because it used to be one of the only dry yeast available. For my first 10 years or so of brewing, that was my "house yeast" simply because it was one of the only things I could find locally back in the pre-Internet days. I always liked the IPAs I brewed with it and thought they were juicier than with 05/1056 (and most dark beers turned out great with it) once I was able to get a bigger variety of yeast. I don't hear very many folks using it nowadays and I haven't used it in many years.

30. EvenMoreJesus

Got a BUNCH of LME kits with Muntons yeast included. Used the LME for some sour beers, braggots, and other experiments, but when I was done, I still had the yeast in the brewing fridge. Decided to use it for my last DIPA and it wouldn't floc. to save my life. Instant NE DIPA without even trying. Usually use Chico, but since I have a bunch of it left in the fridge and I like what it brings to the table, I'll probably keep using it. Until I'm out of it or until I tire of hazy beer, that is. :wink:

DrMindbender likes this.
  31. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

LME makes me shudder :wink:
    So messy compared to DME. When I preferred to brew extract, I'd buy 55lb boxes of extra light DME from a local brewery and build my recipes around that as my "base grain". It cut the cost of DME and brewing drastically for what I could get it for.

EvenMoreJesus likes this.
  32. EvenMoreJesus

Wouldn't have bought it, but I think I ended up paying like $5 for each 3.3 lb. can, so I almost could pass it up.

DrMindbender likes this.
  33. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,416) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

IMO LME is pretty much a bad idea. Like 5.2 Mash Stabilizer. Or Nipples for Men.

34. EvenMoreJesus

Haha. Used it mostly for experimental brewing so I wouldn't be sad if the project didn't work out seeing as the cost and the time invested were pretty minimal.

35. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (145) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Had the day off and wanted to put a rainy day to use. Was buying stuff for a "too dark to be Brown, but lighter then a Porter" kind of beer that I am calling a "Brackish Bramling Beer" because it is made with Bramling Cross hops. Was paying for my grains and yeast at my LHBS when I got a call that my GF's son just crashed his car into a boat... Fortunately enough the boat was on a trailer and I think the trailer took the most of it, but I just sat down after dealing with that for the last 3 hours, brew day gone, hope I can do it tomorrow....

36. Applecrew135

Applecrew135 Initiate (152) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Finally getting to scratch the itch.... been wanting to for a while, but home projects have kept me busy since the start of the new year. So tomorrow is brew day! Could not decide what to brew... I didn't want to brew my summer hefeweizen just yet. I wanted something different and with a little less alcohol than usual. I have a long list of beers I want to try to brew. Summer Love clone? Then I remembered something I had read a little while ago: Chris Colby's Firefly ESB (Beer and Wine Journal). Loved the story about the British mods to the Sherman tank! Also first time using my home-built immersion chiller...

5 gal batch, 80% mash efficiency
    80% Munton's Pale Ale
    11% Flaked Maize
    9% Muntons Crystal 60

Using Target for bittering and Kent Goldings for flavor and dry hop. WLP002 for yeast.

Targets:
    1.055 OG
    1.014 FG
    5.5% ABV
    39 IBU
    10 SRM

37. FeDUBBELFIST

FeDUBBELFIST Meyvn (1,073) Oct 31, 2009 Pennsylvania

About to get started on 15 gallons of red-ish 1.045 wort. Split three ways with Irish Ale yeast, Belgian Ardennes & Oktoberfest Blend. If all goes well, I should have three pretty different beers to add to the rotation.

38. Lukass

Lukass Champion (899) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Brew closet at the moment – Blueberry berliner weisse, followed by a 100% brett fermented citra pale ale (yes there was a big blowoff, even after using fermcap), and then a 'clean' version of the same citra pale ale. I'll keg the clean version in the next few days and bottle the other two batches 1-2 weeks from now. Aside from some yeast harvesting, you probably won't hear of any more 'brewings and doings' from me for a while :astonished:

[​IMG]

39. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (148) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Finished up my IPA at 1.014. Came down from 1.073. I ended up putting 4 oz of sugar in on Day 3 to make sure I got my attenuation I wanted. Glad I did because that's about perfect for me.

40. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (148) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Closed transfer went ok. I put my dry hops in loose which always clogs up at least 3 disconnects. Worth it though to keep that evil O2 out.

I have 1.0 oz of Galaxy and 1.0 Simcoe in a canister in the keg. Plan to keep it room temp for 1 day with intermittent shaking. Then to the gas.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.