Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

What's Brewing - June '17 edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by scurvy311, Jun 1, 2017.

1. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (921) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina
    Beer Trader

Stoked that I just won first place at a local brewery's (Birds Fly South) "Iron Brew" Homebrew competition with an all Galaxy Brett DIPA! We were all given the same pre-boil wort and it was up to us what hops and yeast to use. I'm going to be brewing the beer on their system to release in their taproom soon as well:slight_smile:

2. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (152) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

Just brewed the brown I mentioned earlier. Brew day went OK ish. Still dialing in the water factors to stop being over target on "amount into the bucket". Am about .5 gal over again but this time I dialed back my boil off rate in brewcipher to start with less water.... Can't believe this is such a struggle...

Also learned that the anvil in kettle strainer is absolutely a waste of $45. Have tried to use it a few times now and it clogs faster then one can believe. Just sticking with my old "not filter or strainer and extra brew bag" method from here on out.

scottakelly and DrMindbender like this.
  3. invertalon

invertalon Zealot (502) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Brewed my IPA today... Brew day was flawless! OG was 1.056, one point above my expected. Expecting a FG of 1.008-1.009 with Chico.

My only debate... I have two dry hops planned. Debating if I want to add the first during active fermentation in 2-3 days or wait until it's at FG to add the first... Then I plan to let sit 2-3 days before adding bit charge #2 for only 1-2 days before crashing and kegging.

Lately the aroma on my beers have not as intense as I want, even at large amounts. Process has not changed... Only thing is lately I have been adding hops during fermentation at first and wondering if that is causing a muting effect on the pungency I am after. Never had issues before, and I think that is the only thing that I have changed. So I think I answered my own question...

4. csurowiec

csurowiec Devotee (417) Mar 7, 2010 Maryland

Brewed a coffee porter Sunday morning. Texture is more like a milk stout since it has lactose and maltodextrin. Little bit of fuggles and plenty of roast bitterness from Carafa II and brown malt. The coffee doesn't come into the picture until kegging. It will get a quart of cold brew made with 4oz of coffee added to the keg.
    Best part is my neighbor who is 1 batch into this crazy hobby hung out while I brewed and asked a ton of questions hoping to learn a little bit. I definitely think he has caught the brewing bug.

5. MCBanjoMike

MCBanjoMike Initiate (97) Aug 7, 2014 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Just rebrewed the BYO's Fort Point clone recipe. It turned out really great last time I made it, so I'm hopeful this batch will be good too. Although, to be fair, I wasn't super on-point with my mash temp this time. But I absolutely nailed my FG!

6. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Devotee (466) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Would be interested in hearing a recipe for them, if you don't mind terribly. Which brett species did you use?

7. Lukass

Lukass Savant (938) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I wish I knew... :confused:

For the 100% brett citra pale, I harvested brett from a bottle of Urban Artifact's Phrenology. Built it up on a stir plate for a few weeks before pitching. I haven't been able to find any concrete answers as to what species it is, but I believe it's Brett C.

Citra pale ale (for 11 gal)
    18 lb 2-row
    1.5 lb Crystal 40
    1 lb carapils

Mash at 150F

.25 oz Columbus and 1 oz citra at 60
    1 oz citra at 15
    1 oz cascade at 15
    2 oz citra and 1 oz cascade at flameout

Another 2 oz citra in each fermenter for dry hop

**I did an extended mash on this one (about 4 hours before collecting the wort) and it was super fermentable. I don't think I'll do that again because it left both pale ales at around 1.002-1.004. I like pale ales dry, but that's just crazy!

DrMindbender and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  8. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

Looks like that beer has both brett and sacch. in it. From their website: Wild Cultures: Brettanomyces clausenii, Saccharomyces cerevisiae

Not that you asked about this, but B. anomalus, which var. claussenii is a part of, are not very good attenuators because they, as a species, cannot ferment maltose. In other words, if your Brett C beer is getting good attenuation, you probably have something else in there as well. Important to consider, especially if your source of microbes is in question or it comes from a lab with a history of saccharomyces contamination, like White Labs (pre-pure pitch).

DrMindbender and Lukass like this.
  9. Lukass

Lukass Savant (938) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Interesting. I didn't look into it too much, just built up the culture and pitched. I really liked Phrenology and figured it'd work well in a hoppy pale ale.

I must say though that I've also pitched Brett. Claussenii from a white labs vial, and that fermented down a berliner weisse to around 1.002. There was no other strain pitched into that beer, and still attenuated well.

DrMindbender and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  10. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

White Labs has issues with their non-sacch. microbes having sacch. in them. Both brett and LABs. Thus the confusion a while back about lactobacillus being able to fully ferment wort. It can't, but because the White Labs vial also had sacch. in it, it was apparently able to do so. The Pure Pitch format should solve these issues.

Lukass and DrMindbender like this.
  11. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

I've never had success fully attenuating a Bretton C only brew...only tried twice for my first 2 all brett beers and did mixed cultures after that.

Lukass likes this.
  12. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

From what I've heard, this is where the "myth" that lacto can create a pellicle came from as well.

Lukass likes this.
  13. marknu1

marknu1 Initiate (127) May 12, 2017 California

So I managed to "work from home" on the Friday before father's day, and brewed the Tank 7 clone. Then brewed a different Biere de Garde on father's day, than I had originally intended. I went with the artisanal Biere de Garde recipe from the Farmhouse Ales book. As suggested, I used Fuggle for bittering, and strisselspalt for the 20 minute addition. I'd never used strisselspalt before, and I'm not sure that I love the aroma; at least, not at the point it went into the fermenter. It's got a long way to go, so we'll see how it is after fermentation and a couple of months of garde-ing.

14. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,540) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Last night I transferred my Nugget Nectar "clone" into secondary for dry-hopping
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

Brewing up a Citra heavy Wheat Brett IPA right now...cheers!

#95 DrMindbender, Jun 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  16. Jesse14

Jesse14 Initiate (154) Jul 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Any reason you are transferring for the dry hop? The new school of thought is to keep it in primary and dry hop there for a couple of days. Saves on O2 exposure especially if you can't do a closed transfer. I found it made a huge difference in my hoppy beers. Just throwing that out there for consideration next time.

FeDUBBELFIST and jbakajust1 like this.
  17. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (359) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

@marknu1 Would you share that Tank 7 clone? I've always wanted to try that one.

18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (717) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Moxee-Moron Imperial Session IPA (2016 Beer Camp) is one of my favorites :slight_smile:

DrMindbender likes this.
  19. marknu1

Certainly! I found it on the world wide webs, so I can definitely share how I approached it.

The recipe apparently comes from a guy who had a few e-mails back and forth with Boulevard. So the grain bill and hop schedule should be nearly spot on. The yeast, however, is not a guarantee, as Boulevard uses a house Belgian strain. Nobody seemed quite sure about which commercially available yeast to use. Wyeast 3711 was mentioned quite a bit, so I went with that. Here's what mine looked like:

11 lbs 7.6 oz Briess Pale 2-row (77.6%)
    3 lbs flaked corn (20%)
    5.7 oz Rahr white wheat (2.4%)

.20 oz Magnum (10.50% AA) at 208F (just pre-boil)
    .20 oz Simcoe (12.70% AA) at 55 minutes
    2.5 oz Amarillo (9.80% AA) at 5 minutes
    1 oz Amarillo (9.80% AA) in whirlpool

Wyeast 3711

1 oz Amarillo dry hop

Mash at 151F 60 minutes
    Mash Out at 170F 10 minutes

70-minute boil

Cool to just below 70F, and pitch yeast from 1.5l starter

Ferment at 70F

Target OG 1.071
    Target FG 1.010

And this part will be new for me. I plan to filter the beer, and then bottle condition with champagne yeast in 750ml amber bottles, corked. My understanding is this is similar to what Boulevard does.

So the big IF here will be the yeast. I think it's going to taste great regardless, but if 3711 doesn't quite do it, it may take a few more iterations to find the closest strain.

EvenMoreJesus and Curmudgeon like this.
  20. marknu1

So you can plug it in to your system, and since the AA of your hops may differ from mine, here are the IBUs to shoot for in each boil hop addition:

Magnum at 6.4 IBU
    Simcoe at 7.1 IBU
    Amarillo (5 minute) at 14.0 IBU
    Amarillo (whirlpool) at 9.6 IBU

Curmudgeon likes this.
  21. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,540) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Normally I would not. But I ended up with more wort than I expected, so I had actually split the wort for primary fermentation, with 5 gallons in 6 gallon carboy in the picture plus another 1+ gallon or so in my 3 gallon carboy, so I wouldn't have any issues with blowing the airlock with an aggressive fermentation.

So I was combining into one 6 gallon carboy for dry-hopping.

Jesse14 and jbakajust1 like this.
  22. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Aspirant (288) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Bottleing the second half of Michelle's stout aged on nibs,oak maple and additional cinnamon.

23. redmaw

redmaw Aspirant (236) Jun 30, 2013 Pennsylvania

I bottled this one on Sunday. Seemed like it was pretty murky and had a lot of particluates floating in it, but it smelled great and the gravity sample wasn't half bad. I'm a little disappointed with the FG though it came out a bit high (1.018 versus 1.013 predicted). Now I get to play the waiting game to see how it turns out.

24. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

Sounds like that beer is all over the place! How long has it been fermenting? Doesn't sound finished to me...what was the measured OG? That yeast should attenuate much better than that. If you didn't allow it to finish fermentation, you just made a batch of bottle bombs!

jbakajust1 likes this.
  25. redmaw

OG was 1.068 (so 3 points higher the expected), and it had 15 days before I bottled it. I took two gravity measurements at day 12 and day 14 and they both read 1.018. I'm not entirely sure what's going on with my attenuation, seems like every batch finishes higher than expected (as calculated by vikemans brewcipher, though it doesn't include the exact yeast strain I used). I was actually thinking about starting a thread looking for advice on the attenuation.

26. Curmudgeon

Curmudgeon Disciple (359) May 29, 2014 Massachusetts
    Supporter Subscriber

@marknu1 Great, thanks a lot! I've done some looking around and I saw Westmalle yeast was a possibility as well. If I ever get around to it maybe I'll try to replicate what you do but instead use Westmalle and then compare notes. That corking part sounds cool. I've never done that before. Looks like I'll need to get myself a corker!

marknu1 likes this.
  27. marknu1

Excellent. I look forward to how yours turns out. I did see the Westmalle strain mentioned. Off the top of my head, I don't recall which one that is. White Labs or Wyeast?

This is the corker I got:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002P0SF2I

It's about $10 more than most of the other Portuguese corkers, but this one has a metal bottle platform, whereas the others are plastic. I figured it was worth the extra money. I've only test-corked a few bottles, just to figure out what I was doing, but it seems super solid.

Curmudgeon likes this.
  28. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,091) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Have you calibrated your thermometer lately?

29. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

Agreed on your reasoning for this.

That said, I always rack onto my dry hops in a clean fermenter and I don't purge it with CO2. Couple reasons for this. The beer gets off the trub and I use leaf hops, so if I just drop them into the fermenter a lot of them won't make contact with the beer, even taking into consideration capillary action. Add to that that I usually do two, 3 - 5 day dry hops (with 2 x 3 oz. of hops in a 5.5 gallon batch) and I'm going to need to rack the beer anyway.

Additionally, I'm one of those old school holdovers that always racks the beer when active primary fermentation is almost finished, so you can see that I've got no issue with this technique.

30. redmaw

No I haven't. I have a cheaper bimetallic thermometer and I was starting to wonder how accurate it is. The trouble with calibrating it is I need some standard to calibrate against, and I don't have another thermometer I trust more. I guess I could boil water and check that, but that varies by impurities and atmopsheric pressure at the time (not sure if the magnitude of the changes matter with the level of accuracy we are dealing with here). How far off do you think the thermometer needs to be to effect fg by 5 or so points?

31. jbakajust1

Subscriber Beer Trader

A few degrees off could make your 152 156 which would have enough effect to make a 5 point difference. I got a lab thermometer from the LHBS for like $8 and use that to calibrate all my other thermometers.

32. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,344) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

If the FG of every batch (or almost every batch) finishes higher than predicted, you can tweak the Attenuation Power Factor (on the Brewhouse Tab) downward until your average deviation is as small as possible. Brewcipher includes more variables in its attenuation calculation than other models, but it also includes a user specified constant (the Attenuation Power Factor) to account for any consistent brewhouse factors that either result from attributes not modeled or from process/measurement differences (e.g. mashout vs no mashout, or the way mash temp is measured, to name a couple).

ETA: but if all these batches that finish high use that same yeast strain, you can just tweak its "Factor" on the YeastLookup tab.

33. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (193) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Brewed a 10 gallon batch of mosaic azacca simcoe heavy IPA 11 days ago. Pitched the us5 at 76*. I was worried about off flavors but i dryhopped day 5 it finished fermenting 1.066 to1.011 around 78-80* by day 9. Almost carbonated now and tastes amazing. Im truly amazed at how clean and fast the yeast fermented at high temps. I expected it to at least be hot from fusel alcohol... either way I probably won't push my luck again but happy to have a beer ready for a summer party this weekend

DrMindbender and Jesse14 like this.
  34. drinkybanjo

drinkybanjo Initiate (156) Sep 4, 2008 New Jersey

Brewing a Skull Splitter Wee Heavy clone. Did my yeast starter last night, hoping to brew tomorrow evening.

35. crcostel

crcostel Initiate (70) Feb 26, 2006 Illinois

Bottled my Belgian Pale last weekend. Used 3522 Ardennes for the first time and it hit 81% attenuation - a bit more than I expected but should make for an easy drinking summer ale. I started it at 65deg and let it rise slowly to 72.

Next up (after a bit of a break) is the AP/ESB for drinking in the end of summer.

DrMindbender and scottakelly like this.
  36. c64person

c64person Devotee (431) Mar 20, 2010 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    Batch 2 of my Strawberry Milkshake IPA. 2lbs/gallon of fresh picked strawberries and 3oz/gallon of mosaic hops. One of my favorite fruited NE style IPAs.

Just went in the keg hopefully be ready for drinking early next week. :sunglasses:

37. jbakajust1

Subscriber Beer Trader

Just stepped up my BKYeast C2 & C3 Brett isolates. When I got them 2 years ago from a friend they were well beyond prime. I had tried to get them built up many times to no avail. Finally got them to wake up and start fermenting small amounts of wort. Got them on a stir plate in an 80* room in 800ml of 1.030 wort. This should get me the amount of healthy yeast I need to start playing with it.

Lukass, DrMindbender and scottakelly like this.
  38. EvenMoreJesus

Supporter

Did you notice any isoamyl acetate or other esters?

39. DrMindbender

Beer Trader

The Hop Hash Sacc trois IPA kicked last night, so this morning I kegged a Citra and Hop Hash Sacc trois IPA and now I'm about to hit the boil on the exact same recipe as the all Citra Brett IPA I brewed 2 days ago, but I'm going to ferment it with the Sacc trois cake instead of the Brett blend I'm fermenting the other one with.

scottakelly likes this.
  40. redmaw

Of course there is another variable in brewcipher, it does everything. I'm not so concerned about hitting the numbers I predict, but it does seem like everything I've been making finishes pretty high. I really haven't made any attempt to customize brewcipher to my system, so I'm not surprised when things don't quite line up, but I would like to figure out why my worts seem to be less fermentable. My current guesses are grain bills, mash temp (as effected by thermometer inaccuracies), and water chemistry (I use untreated tap water). I'm sure there are more factors that could be the culprit but those come to mind.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.