What's Brewing-June edition

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DrMindbender, Jun 1, 2018.

1. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (901) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

Been busy brewing lately but haven't posted in a little while...it looks like I get to start this month's thread, so here goes.

I am kegging a Lemonade Sour (lemon zest and juice added and dry hopped with Lemondrop) that I'm donating to a farmer friends Summer Solstice festival coming up in a few weeks. I'm also mashing in on a Pineapple Sour right now that I'm going to add back onto the yeast/bug cake. I am going to puree a pineapple and add it for a 15 minute stand at 200-205 (I brew no boil sours) .

Yesterday I kegged an all Citra NE IPA fermented with Sacc trois and then brewed up an all Citra Pale Ale to add back onto the Trois cake. The day before that I brewed up an Orange Blossom Mead that I make at session beer strength so it's more like a summer lawnmower beer...this was a request from the wife for her upcoming birthday. And a few days before that I kegged an all Nelson hopped Kolsch and brewed up another Summer Solstice donation in a hoppy Kolsch with Citra and Mosaic.

In the meantime, I was able to completely clean my brewhouse/brewing area (which hasn't been done in a handful of years) and help a friend with planning/ordering a 3 barrel system that he's starting his brewery with.

I hope June is a great month for all of us homebrewers...Cheers!!!

#1 DrMindbender, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  2. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (394) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

bottleing the second spruce pale.

3. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (343) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Today I’m brewing a kettle sour IPA. Soured with Goodbelly. Hopped with Amarillo, Denali, and a little El Dorado. Fermented with sacc trois, WLP644. Next week I plan on making a Motueka hopped Pilsner.
    That, along with everything over the last month or so, should give me a solid pipeline of brews for the summer. I’m usually busy during summer months and won’t be brewing as much.

4. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (51) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Planning on making a Tangerine Milkshake NEIPA tomorrow. Planning on adding tangerine peel during the hop stand and going with Citra, Galaxy, Azacca hop combination. Should I stick with equal parts of each hop during hop stand, primary dry hop, and final dry hop or just dry hop a couple of those hops?

5. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (367) May 2, 2006 Utah

(1) Still working up a Saison recipe with spelt, chokecherries, and possibly a few spruce tips. Will use the Belle Saison yeast.

(2) @VikeMan and I recently completed a study of distilled-water mash pH and buffering capacity of noncrystal specialty malts and flaked grains. Results can be found here.

Cheers!

6. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Brewing a strawberry wheat/ oat beer or a blonde for party next month. Not sure yet:wink:

7. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (872) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

One weekend this month I'll grind out a NEIPA with Amarillo, Citra, and Mosaic, with just a dash of Centennial for good measure.

8. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,250) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

I find that Azacca is a much less potent hop than the other two. If you want it to stand up to the others I would suggest increasing it like 2:1:1 (A:C:G).

Prep8611, Eggman20 and DrMindbender like this.
  9. jbakajust1

Premium

I never got to brew on Monday... so after work tonight I am doing my 3.9% ABV 30 minute mash, 10 minute boil, all hops at 185* for 30 minutes, Azacca, El Dorado, Galaxy, hop bomb. Hoping to be drinking it by next weekend.

#9 jbakajust1, Jun 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  10. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (51) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Yeah from reading up some more that seems to be the way to go. Thanks for the recommendation! I don't have a lot of experience with these juicy hop beers (just Citra, Mosaic, Belma so far) so happy to take advice

skleice and jbakajust1 like this.
  11. jbakajust1

Premium

I made what was supposed to be a hoppy toasted wheat ale with all Azacca. Don't dump many batches, but that one went down the drain. The Azacca didn't come through much at all and the toasting of the wheat did... in a bad way. Learned the hard way to up the Azacca. On the batch I am doing tonight I am doing 3:2:3 Azacca, Galaxy, El Dorado (no toasted wheat).

skleice and Eggman20 like this.
  12. Supergenious

I agree with @jbakajust1 , Azacca is not very potent. If it’s not too late, I bet Amarillo would be nice substitute for Azacca. They would pair nice with oranges. Either way, should be tasty.

Eggman20 and skleice like this.
  13. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (97) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

First brew day since March for me. Brewed nearly a SMaSH IPA with local 2-row and local wheat with just bullion hops with a home brew club buddy. He is pitching London 3 and I am using US-05. Will be an interesting comparison in a few weeks.

14. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Ugh. My friend is learning to brew for the first time on my system before he starts using his keggle system on our next brew. Guess what he said “Can we brew one of those NEIPA?!” As to not discourage someone into the hobby I’m obliging and will be making brewing ten gallons of a NEIPA with marris otter, pilsner, white wheat, flakes oats. Whirlpool with citra, Amarillo, columbus and then dry hopped with the same. I’m gonna ferment with 1968 and he’s using safale04 from home. Will be interesting to see the differences in the yeast.

15. skleice

skleice Aspirant (247) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Reached out to an experienced Gluten Free Brewer on the west coast today and he dumped a ton of info on me. Gonna brew a Nelson Pale Ale on Monday using his process. Hopefully, it solves my body/head/mouth feel issues!

16. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (99) Jan 10, 2018 California

Gotta IPA fermenting right now. Shocker! 97% GP 3% C-10. US05, Citra/El Dorado “El Citro”,

17. Lukass

Lukass Savant (935) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

I’ve been enjoying my no-boil NEIPA/Kveik so much, that I’m gonna brew it again right as this keg starts to feel light. Will add more ‘c’ hops this time around. Chinook for mash hopping, then 2 oz citra, 2 oz Denali dry hop.

18. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Annual Nit Wit with some orange spice tea...gonna use T-58 on this one

19. skleice

Just finished mash with a new process. Hit my volume and gravity, so good go to. This method is easier too.

On another note, went to bottle my wit and found it was too cold coming out of the fridge...not frozen, but chunky. From what I read, if I just let it thaw it will be fine? Hope so, cuz the sample is delicious.

20. premierpro

premierpro Aspirant (239) Mar 21, 2009 Michigan

Have not brewed since January. ( Unfortunately! ) Saturday I brewed my Bo-Pils. Will be ready to serve at the Michigan Home Brew Festival!

21. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (437) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Should be bottling my rauchbier tonight. Def moving slow near the end, FFT showed FG of 1.008 (seems to be dropping 2-3 points a day at this point) and was at 1.020 yesterday morning. Should be set to go today, if it didn't stall. Will be brewing a second wheat smoked beer this coming weekend I will be throwing into a second-use oak barrel that a stout is currently in. Will do a quick rinse with boiling water before filling, as I only want some oakiness for the beer with a few week age.

22. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

kegged Foreign Extra Stout with vanilla and roasted chiles today...warming up Wit to finish in fermenter...planning recipe for Pomegranite IPA

23. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,470) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Assuming fermentation/cleanup was finished before crashing/freezing the yeast, I think you should be okay.

24. Supergenious

Yeah, chances are you’re fine. On a side note... why would one cold crash a wit?

25. skleice

Yeah, it's been done for a while. Thanks!

26. skleice

It's made with gluten free grains, so there's no actual wheat. These brews are tougher to clean up. It will still be hazy regardless.

27. MrOH

MrOH Champion (848) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Heating up strike liquor for an overnight mash, no sparge "honey Brut IPA"? "Hoppy Short Braggot"? Requested by D&D group where there is a prominent NPC named Azaka who drinks a lot of T'ej upon learning that there's a hop called Azacca.
    Anyhow, 49% Golden Promise, 49% Honey (at high krausen [2:1 orange blossom:raspberry]), 2% honey malt. Centiennal and Azacca hops. Hothead yeast.

28. invertalon

Trader

Wrapped up my recipe this weekend for my barrel aged smoked wheat… The recipe is as follows:

68% Smoked Wheat
    20% Pilsner
    10% Munich II
    2% Caramunich I

40 IBU hopped with Hallertau Magnum and Tradition.

US-05 Yeast.

OG 1.061
    FG 1.012

Will be aged in my whisky barrel that currently has a stout in it (coming out when this one is ready)… Will just rack finished beer into barrel and whatever fluid is left behind. So it will pick up a little color/chocolate/roast out of whatever is in there. Then some oak notes of course. I won’t be adding any additional spirit or anything like that, just want some of the wood character to compliment the smoked malt. Likely leave the beer in the barrel for a few weeks before kegging, depending on flavor development of course…

Just something new to try since I ended up with 10lbs of smoked wheat on accident… I love smoked beers, so wanted to put it to good use! Just kegged my traditional Rauchbier last night, so back-to-back smokey goodness… Yum!

After this duo, I plan to brew up another IPA (with experimental stone fruit) and then get a Helles done after that.

29. invertalon

Trader

Oh, forgot to note I will likely add in maple extract as well inside the barrel... For even further uniqueness. Maple and smoke go together really nicely... Especially in a Rauchbier (spiked my glass a few times). So delicious.

30. skleice

Just bottled my Passion Fruit Wit. Tastes absolutely delicious. I believe this will be my best beer to date. Can't wait to crack one on my first day of vacation!

31. GormBrewhouse

Made a run and gun ipa

Marris, l60, victory with nugget, cascade, Columbus, chinook and centeniall

premierpro, DrMindbender and Prep8611 like this.
  32. jbakajust1

Premium

Added the Dry Hops to this beer last night... gave it a good shake to saturate the hop bag in the fermenter... took a sample... tastes kinda like the Toasted Wheat Pale I made with only Azacca (you know, the batch I dumped cause it tasted like melon spread on toast)... only thing these two have in common is the yeast, some grains, and Azacca... never had this flavor before using Azacca... better not be an Azacca flavor seeing I added 4 f*ing oz to the DryHop... I hate cantaloupe.

DrMindbender likes this.
  33. invertalon

Trader

Brewing my wheat smoked beer right now and keeping it super low key. Not worrying about pH measurements (just what Bru'n Water estimates for my water additions) and not doing any of the LODO prep (pre-boil and SMB stuff) as it's going into a barrel. Gonna pitch a packet of rehydrated US-05 and call it a day when complete! Don't remember the last time I used US-05...

Really miss the simple brew days like this, it's refreshing!

#33 invertalon, Jun 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  34. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Getting ready to mash in a session strength English porter (brown porter, in the 2008 guidelines, now swallowed up into the broader English porter category). My intention is to use half of it to blend with the sour part of a sour brown cherry beer, and half as is.

35. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

Brewing my first Wit today

50% Barke Pils
    Flaked/Raw Wheat
    Carafoam
    Acid
    Indian Coriander in Whirlpool
    Wait until fermentation is winding down for the orange zest.
    Yeast Bay Northeast Abbey

Finally had a chance to have some Taras Boulba and XX Bitter a few weeks ago and want to try to brew something similar. Anyone got a good recipe for either? Or brew that hoppy, bitter, dry, beer with just a little Belgian character?

36. Scope4Beer

Scope4Beer Initiate (137) Sep 28, 2009 Pennsylvania

Currently mashing in on a NE-style pale ale, shooting for OG 1.053 and ABV 5.4%. My wife requested it after the NEIPA I did last month and having recently had a NE-style pale ale at Voodoo called Blips and Chitz that was outstanding.

37. Lukass

Lukass Savant (935) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Gonna be brewing a no-boil, 0 IBU Berliner weiße in the next few days. Pitching CMY-01 24 hours after hitting the wort with some lacto. Will be the simplest, easiest batch I’ve ever done. I’m tempted to dry hop it with some Huell Melon!

38. GormBrewhouse

Brewing a 3 c hop ipa and some nugget.

39. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Sorry that you hate this, but melon spread on toast sounds delicious. Were these Azacca from 47Hops? Trying to figure out what to do with those.

40. ssam

ssam Aspirant (282) Dec 2, 2008 California

Last batch was bottled 3/5/17.

It has been a busy [over a] year since that batch and I finally have one month of time. I'm very happy to be brewing an Aunt Sally clone tomorrow! Going to try out kettle souring, hopefully it's not a bust.