What's Brewing - November Edition!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by skleice, Nov 3, 2018.

1. skleice

skleice Aspirant (246) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Hello, November!

Added second dose of dry hops to my Chinook & Simcoe gluten free IPA. Also checked FG on my GF Saison. It came all the way down to 1.003. Nice and dry, smells and tastes great. I added just a touch of dry hops. Will bottle next weekend.

2. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (218) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Its a beautiful autumn day here. Brewing a robust porter. My pre-chiller that I built is dropping the ground water temp from 67.5F to 59F, hoping that helps speed up chilling and gets me to pitch temp without having to use the chest freezer!

Cheers

3. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (218) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

The brew day went really well with the exception of getting lower than usual efficiency. I had a string of batches where I was getting 74% on the dot every time but the last two have been mid 60s%. Hoping that when I start milling my own grain (starting next batch) I will see an improvement and consistency.

corbmoster, riptorn, Prep8611 and 2 others like this.
  4. jimboothdesigns

jimboothdesigns Aspirant (260) Nov 1, 2014 Pennsylvania

Getting geared up to do a pawpaw cream ale. Tweaked my recipe considerably since starting the pawpaw beers a couple years ago. Then on to fixing a "broken" persimmon recipe and also brewing a winter warmer right after Thanksgiving.

5. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (50) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Just brewed up an American brown ale today. Everything went super smooth and hit my SG perfectly. Now to decide what
    lager to brew for my next batch (have some saved Bavarian lager yeast to use). Maybe a dark lager

6. Mashtun_Martian

Mashtun_Martian Initiate (26) Nov 1, 2018 Massachusetts

I’ve got a smoked orange ale about to go into secondary. Named it Santa’s Pipe. 1/3 cherry smoked malt, the rest Maris Otter and a bit of crystal and black. Orange zest at knockout as well as spruce tips. I may add some more orange zest in secondary depending on taste and fragrance when I sample.

I have NO idea how this is going to turn out, and that’s pretty exciting.

corbmoster, riptorn, Prep8611 and 7 others like this.
  7. Buck89

Buck89 Poo-Bah (2,270) Feb 7, 2015 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Brewed a Tripel today. Took BAs advice and kept the grist simple with just Pils malt and sugar. Hit my target OG of 1.079. Looking forward to seeing 1214 work for the first time.

riptorn, Eggman20, Prep8611 and 3 others like this.
  8. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (342) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I only have one beer planned for this month. Sometime this week (or maybe next) I’ll do a 100% Brett pale ale. Using Brett C, WLP645, fermented in the 85F-90F range. Grain bill of Belgian Pils, flaked wheat, and carahell. Hopped with Crystal and a little Amarillo.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  9. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (146) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Got a full batch of a 1.082 stout going. It's a larger/imperial version of a stout/porter I've done before with a few different grain % changes. Fertmenting rather slowly with Imperial Darkness.

Gonna hit it with some cacao nibs in the fermenter for a week, then a day or 2 before cold crashing I'll add in some cracked coffee beans. Then the beer will be split between 2 2.5G kegs. Each keg will get cold brew concentrate and some cracked coffee beans (one more than the other) and then one will get a madagascar vanilla bean.

10. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,463) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Winter Warmer today, based on a brown ale-ish base. Will (ultimately) have black treacle, cinnamon, vanilla, cherries, and hazelnut as spices/adjuncts. And more than a little Special B for raisin-y flavor. No beets.

Yalc, riptorn, GormBrewhouse and 5 others like this.
  11. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (146) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

should note that this was the first time i tried doing a "dunk sparge." I do single vessel BIAB in a 10.5G kettle and have found that doing 13lb+ grain bills for 5.5-5.75gallons of NEIPAs to fermenter (I lose maybe .25g to kettle) basically maxes me out with 8 gallons of RO water.

So I split it to about 6.5G in the kettle and 2.5G in a second kettle. Pulled out the bag - squeezed the hell out of it, poured some "sparge water" over it, then dunked it, squeezed it, dunked it, squeezed it, etc. in the second kettle and then combined. Seemed to have worked well as I hit my gravity target with about .5 extra gallons to fermenter. I'll continue doing this for larger beers such as DIPAs

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  12. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (386) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Go @VikeMan, that sounds excellent. What does treacle add???

riptorn likes this.
  13. VikeMan

Black Treacle is basically unsulfured blackstrap molasses. In beer, I think the best descriptor is probably burnt caramel.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (56) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Currently on day 4 of fermentation of a Cali Common (ish?) beer - don’t love how this style category essentially only allows for an Anchor Steam clone, so I changed out the Northern Brewer hops for Chinook and Crystal with a big ole whirlpool addition, and maybe a dry hop ? This should add a bit of variation I suppose....fermented at 60 with WY2112...

So did I just make a pale ale ?

15. Abk542

Abk542 Initiate (69) Sep 26, 2015 Michigan

Out Of My Gourd pumkin ale aging on 6.5 lbs of carmalized pumpkin, cinamon and nutmeg. Got about a week to go then I'm gonna keg it for Thanksgiving!

Also brewed up a christmas stout about three weeks. Gonna let it sit for another two weeks or so and then rack to secondary on top of vanilla beans coffee and maybe try and possibly some immitation maple syrup..

16. Dave_S

Dave_S Initiate (48) May 18, 2017 England

Today I learnt a valuable lesson about what happens when you try to ferment a big RIS in a plastic bucket with limited headroom and a bubbler airlock.

Fortunately the bucket is pretty old and knackered, so the weak point after the airlock got bunged up turned out to be the lid deforming and coming loose, so I didn't lose more than a few oz of beer. It looked pretty spectacular to come home to, though!

The beer has been emergency-transferred to another fermenter with a load more headroom, and seems to be doing alright.

corbmoster, frozyn, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  17. secondbase

secondbase Initiate (54) Jun 3, 2015 Tennessee

Brewing a Best Bitter today. 100% Maris Otter mashed at 156. LondonIII yeast, First Gold hops.

Supergenious, MrOH, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  18. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (89) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Just finished bottling a coffee stout, which gets me to the 50-gallon mark in my homebrewing affliction.

19. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (119) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Brewed an brut ipa with hornindal kveik 60/40 oat malt/ pilsner
    Hopped with azacca and denali.

Prep8611, Jesse14, NorCalKid and 6 others like this.
  20. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (427) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Have a 1.5L starter spinning as I prepare to step it up to 3L for a Doppelbock this weekend! My first bock of any type, I look forward to seeing how it turns out. It will tap in the middle of winter (Feb), so having a nice rich lager on at that point will be welcome.

Immediately after the Doppelbock will be a Kolsch in a week or two (repeat of my previous which was phenomenal). Only plan to add a small percentage of carahell at 1-2% of the grist as the only real change (and using Barke vs. standard Pils). My Kolsch is one of my most “in demand” beers from my friends, so I finally want to rebrew it. Adding the carahell because I really like the flavor that grain offered to my Helles which was I think 92% Pils, 8% Carahell. So I’d like to put a little in the Kolsch recipe.

Currently on deck to be tapped include my Munich Dunkel and English Porter… Just waiting for a keg to kick at this point, which sadly will likely be my Helles ☹

NorCalKid, skleice, riptorn and 4 others like this.
  21. gvickery

gvickery Disciple (360) May 13, 2017 Texas
    Premium

I really like pilsners but didn't want to spend the extra time lagering and such since I don't use kegs. I came up with a pilsner recipe but I used Nottingham dry ale yeast and fermented at 55. I kept it pretty simple with 9lbs of pilsner and 1lb of Vienna. I used an once of Liberty hops at 60 and an once of Sterling for 10. I mashed at 148 (mostly) BIAB process. My OG came in at 1.048. I fermented for 5 days at 55 and then raised it to 58 for 2. I took a reading at 7 days and was down to 1.010 so I raised the temp to 66 and will let it ride a few more days and re-check. I feel pretty good about this one, the sample tasted and smelled great. So hopefully this will be a good faux pilsner for me.

22. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (570) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

Going the decoction route for your doppelbock?

23. invertalon

@frozyn

Nah, used to do them but now skip for my lager. For the Doppelbock, I have a small percentage of Melanoidin at around 2% (along with Caraaroma at 4.5%) which should give some malty depth, along with the Munich II of course that makes up almost 50% of the grist. Balance of Pilsner and Carafa Special II for color. FWH hopping of Mittelfrueh and Tettnang to about 26 IBU. No late additions. Pitching WLP830 and the OG is expected at 1.074 and FG of 1.017.

frozyn, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  24. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (266) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

All Sabro IPA today.
    Warrior @ 60
    1oz Sabro @ 20, @ 5
    3oz WP @ 170
    Best Pils/Weyermann Pale
    Carafoam/Carahell
    1% Caraaroma
    Sabro smells amazing. Reminds me a lot of Vic Secret. It definitely smells like a Southern Hemisphere Hop. Incredibly fruity with a touch of that herbal quality you get from Sorachi Ace.

Hoppy Spelt Pale Ale Yesterday
    Weyermann Pale
    Malted/Flaked Spelt
    TYB Midwestern
    Cashmere/Citra/Motueka

This guy was ripping today so took 2 quarts to Krausen a Citra/Idaho 7 Pale Ale and took one quart to Krausen 2.5 gallons of a Eureka/Enigma/Ella IPA that I fermented with a blend of S04 & 34/70.

Single Decoction Pils Tomorrow, hopefully.

25. drinkybanjo

drinkybanjo Initiate (119) Sep 4, 2008 New Jersey

Have kegged Winter Warmer, tapped Irish Red and last night made yeast starter for my first NEIPA which I'll be brewing this weekend.

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  26. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (50) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Just had some Sabro hops delivered so would love to hear how it comes out! Might do a smash ipa next weekend to try it out for myself.

NorCalKid and riptorn like this.
  27. skleice

+1. Just got 1lb myself. The description sounds so interesting.

28. skleice

Today, I'm brewing up a GF Amber Ale. I'll be using a recipe provided by a much more experienced gluten free brewer I met on homebrewtalk. Should be a nice one!

29. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (342) May 9, 2011 Michigan

I agree. This style is an under appreciated style, and can be brewed with many different hops, not just NB. Crystal and chinook sound really good. Good call!
    I also think pilsners are fun to experiment with less traditional hops.

30. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (56) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

Yeah for sure ! I have ten gallons of Pilsner style beer lagering now , one half was dry hopped with 2oz Amarillo, the other with 2oz equanot.. excited to see the difference.

On the Cali Common front, I suppose the style is mostly defined by the ‘hybrid’ yeast strain WY 2112 ? Because a lot if the grain bills I have seen are basically pale ale grists from 2002... and then NB hops I suppose show up because they were growing in the region at the time? It would be cool to see a little more homebrew riffage on the style...

Anyone use 2112 for other beer styles?

riptorn, corbmoster and skleice like this.
  31. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (177) Dec 15, 2014 Texas

Excited to head the difference! And wish I lived closer to Alberta so we could swap experiments.

thebriansmaude and riptorn like this.
  32. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (91) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]

Finally had the perfect night for a coolship batch after dealing with a very rainy Fall in New England.

33. VikeMan

Great picture!

34. invertalon

Just prepped everything for brew day tomorrow... A Doppelbock (first time I've brewed one!).

Gravity targets of 1.073 OG and 1.018 FG (7.4% ABV)
    26 IBU
    20 SRM

Will pitch and ferment at 48F... Spund and lager at 30F until Feb, give or take.

According to my research, my recipe is not exactly the most cookie-cutter, which usually is mainly all munich malt in the grist. Mine instead is basically a 50/50 mix of Pils and Dark Munich making up just over 93% of the grain bill or so, then of course some caraaroma, melanoidin and carafa special II to finish. I used more Pils to make it a bit more delicate, if you will. I have a Dunkel in process, just about to come out of lagering, which has something like 80% of the grain bill as Munich. I didn't want this one to be just an imperial version of that, even with the other specialty malt additions. I have liked the less intense doppelbocks, in terms of malty richness, which was another reason I decided to cut with more pils than typical.

Really looking forward to this one... I have been wanting to brew a Bock of some sort for quite some time.

#34 invertalon, Nov 11, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  35. TheWorstBrewerEver

TheWorstBrewerEver Initiate (40) Aug 10, 2016 Norway

I just had my brewing revenge on the world. my last brew was a total disaster, and had my spirits down a bit. On this latest brewday, making a vesion of the averagely perfect IPA, I hit all my nymbers and everything went to plan. I fermented with Gjaernes kveik and finished fermentation in 3 days. It's good to be back. Actually, so good i finally decided to invest in kegging equipment

36. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (266) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

How big is that batch? How long did it take to get to fermentation temps?

37. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (91) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

This is 12 gallons, but my coolship will hold 22. The overnight temps were in the low 40’s and it takes about 6-8 hours to get to pitching temps. However, I like to let it go for about 10 hours.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  38. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Cleaned a keg, and kegged an altbier. FG=1.010. Tasted hydrometer sample, below. Success.

39. corbmoster

corbmoster Initiate (177) Dec 15, 2014 Texas

Double brew day Sunday

40. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Champion (842) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

SMaSH blonde ale w/ German Pils, Saaz, and Munton's Ale Yeast.