What's Brewing October Edition!

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, Oct 2, 2018.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,250) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium

Kegged and dry hopped my table Saison (10 gallons) and Red IPA (5 gallons). 5 gallons of the Red IPA fermented with Imperial Suburban Brett finishing up then it will get kegged and dry hopped as well. Moving the IRA and Saisons to the keezer tonight to chill, carb, and clear. Gonna brew up a BGSA on Monday, 11 gallons, half to see the inside of a Whiskey Barrel, the other half to go on tap.

#1 jbakajust1, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  2. OldBrewer

OldBrewer Aspirant (247) Jan 13, 2016 Ontario (Canada)

Just kegged my Paulaner (south German lager) attempt, using a pound of light Vienna this time rather than a pound of light Munich. I'm trying to see which is preferable, and how much to add.

3. Johnny_Duck

Johnny_Duck Aspirant (280) Apr 19, 2013 Tennessee

Brewed an IPA with Nelson, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops. Using WLP007 for the first time after using exclusively London III for a while. Excited to see how it comes out.

Prep8611, jbakajust1, riptorn and 3 others like this.
  4. thebriansmaude

thebriansmaude Initiate (68) Dec 16, 2016 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

I have plans to brew an experimental beer this coming weekend: Kettle Soured Kola Stout

I plan on using debittered dark malts and some crystal, kettle sour, pitch yeast and then towards end of fermentation add some Monin's all natural Cola syrup. This is one of those experiments that could either totally suck or be completely awesome! (depending on what you are into) After this somewhat blasphemous experiment I plan on brewing up some clean lagers and 'normal' stouts for winter.

5. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (92) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

[​IMG]
    October means coolship around here!!

6. skleice

skleice Aspirant (247) Aug 6, 2015 Connecticut

Awesome.

Prep8611 and LakesideBrewing like this.
  7. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (393) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Had a little time, so sanitized 2 oz of hard maple and oak, then dumped into the RIS. #1 daughter brought back some kinda Hawian fruit that tastes like brown Suger, ,,,,,,,,,so thinkin of tossing in a touch of that.

8. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (120) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

Just took the blowoff tube off my winter stout. Going to add coffee cocoa nibs and vanilla to 5 gallons and oak age the other half

9. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (434) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

My FFT on my Dunkel reported 1.017-1.018 which is a bit higher than expected... I may have not let my sample go long enough (only 24hrs) so I pulled another and allowing to go 48hrs until tomorrow to check what the FG is again. If it finishes at 1.017-1.018, that would give me about 4.0-4.2% ABV or so. I have a hunch given my experience with that yeast strain that I just checked my FFT too early. Target FG is 1.011, but anything under 1.014 or is ideal.

At the same time, a rich, malty low ABV Dunkel doesn't sound so bad, either...

10. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (730) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Prep8611, GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  11. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (250) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Kegged my pumpkin stout. Brewed up another kviek farmhouse ale. Belgian pale malt, white wheat, hopped solely with jarylo and 30 and whirlpool. Dry hopping with 4 Oz jarrylo.

Btw jarylo sucks but I have a pound I need to get rid of and this is an easy way.

Also cleaned up and rearranged my homebrewery. [​IMG]

12. GormBrewhouse

+1 to jarillo sucks, I dumped about 3/4 of a lb and the beer I made with it. Tasted like perfume

riptorn and chavinparty like this.
  13. Prep8611

I think it will be slightly better than that!

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  14. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Neipa w/ wlp644. This yeast is insane. Thought it would be tropical but it smells like strong ripe fruit. I'll be dry hopping and adding peaches/apricots and maybe some other stuff later.

[​IMG]

15. Jimbob-gbr

Jimbob-gbr Initiate (72) Apr 18, 2017 Nebraska

Have a wheat beer in primary that is gonna be put on forage wild plums my buddy got from the bike trail. Brew it every year at this time except last year (there was no plums. Sad). It was my first time using yeast i washed from my last batch. Thinking about brewing some sort of porter or dark mild with spices.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse, MrOH and 3 others like this.
  16. skleice

Brewing up a gluten free Porter (adapted from a Founders Porter recipe). That was always a beer I kept on hand and I miss it dearly. Hopefully, this comes out nice. My GF milk stout was a big success, so I'm very optimistic about this one.

17. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (270) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

First mixed ferment Saison with lacto and Brett. I’ve added Brett to secondary but never thrown it all in together from the get go.

pils/wheat/oats
    Styrian Goldings to 28 IBUs
    Wallonian Farmhouse II
    Lacto Brevis TYB282
    Brett Brux TYB184

18. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Blonde Ale (brewed yesterday) chugging along. Will be getting raspberries and orange juice concentrate in secondary.

19. invertalon

Kegged my Dunkel last night... The new FFT resulted in FG of 1.015, kegged at 1.017 so it could carbonate in the keg and all that fun stuff. Finished at 4.5% ABV and tasting incredible! Especially for not even not complete and yeasty and such. Such a beautiful maltiness with this one... Can't wait once its actually at FG, carbonated and lagered a few weeks. One of my favorite styles!

20. bryantc3

bryantc3 Initiate (150) Apr 12, 2017 New Jersey

Just put it the second dry hop (Vic secret and galaxy) in what will be a 6.5ish% hazy IPA.

This brew is an interation of my last brew, same malt bill and water profile, just split it with Vic and galaxy where the other used mosaic, citra, and galaxy. Also fermented this with a very over built starter that I should have split of wlp coastal haze. Last time it was imperial juice.

What I am a bit concerned about is the finishing gravity. Just pulled a sample and it was 1.010, was hoping to keep it above 1.015 but coastal haze at 69-70 started slow and just chewed through the 1.062 SG. Mashed at 155 for 40, 157 for 30minutes.

Also just ordered some grade a Madagascar beans from Amazon cause stout szn is here and I have plans.

GormBrewhouse, riptorn and skleice like this.
  21. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (118) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Never made a pumpkin beer so i did a 3 gal batch. I added the pumpkin and spices to the whirlpool instead of the boil so it mixes good. It smells like pie but will probably need more spices later when i bottle and i'll use wheat to make it more hazy. I'm also going to add toasted coconut to see if it does anything.

[​IMG]

22. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (367) May 2, 2006 Utah

Today I plan to keg a Special Bitter that I brewed last Sunday. Fermented with 2 packs of Windsor, lag time was about two hours and primary fermentation was done in 24 hours! I've never seen anything like that. Hoping for a decent ester profile, but I suspect I might not get it, given the speed of the fermentation. Cheers!

23. Prep8611

Tonight I’m whipping up a quadish beer. Pils, special B, caramnunich, d-90, styrian Golding.

With a twist! Fermenting with hornindal kviek. Will only be a 3 gallon batch so I’m okay with failing!

Lukass, MrOH, GormBrewhouse and 2 others like this.
  24. wasatchback

Quick little 3 gallon experiment to see what 34/70 fermented warm does to an IPA.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  25. skleice

Bottling up a couple IPAs.

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and Prep8611 like this.
  26. Maestro0708

Maestro0708 Aspirant (227) Feb 27, 2015 Kentucky

Made a starter of wlp500 for a dubbel im brewing this week!

riptorn, GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.
  27. wasatchback

Spelt Pale Ale with Cashmere and Simcoe today

Mecca Pale
    Spelt Malt
    Flaked Spelt
    Warrior @60
    Cashmere @20
    Bravo @5
    Cashmere/Simcoe WP
    Yeast Bay Midwestern Ale
    -supposedly tastes like Chico but floccs like 007 which would be great.

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  28. Minipork

Minipork Initiate (144) Dec 11, 2010 Illinois

I did sort of a Heady clone that is in the keg as of 2 days ago. Bittered w/ Warrior then a combo of Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Centennial and Apollo hops added a various points. Excited to try it tonight after work tonight. Tasted really good before I kegged it. I underestimated my efficiency and it came out to 8.5%.

29. Supergenious

Supergenious Disciple (343) May 9, 2011 Michigan

Going to take a stab at a milkshake IPA this week. I used @TooHopTooHandle recipe as a starting point. Grain bill is pretty close to his, except no wheat malt and going easy on the lactose. Fruit will be blood orange purée and frozen mangoes. Hopped mostly with Citra and Amarillo, also a little leftover Moteuka and Denali. Is there a more expensive beer to brew? Oh well, should be tasty. Cheers!

30. Prep8611

Also not a more expensive beer to buy so your still saving money if it turns out!

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  31. invertalon

Dunkel finished spunding/carbonating to ~18psi at 50F (approx. 2.5 vols). Will slowly start crashing it down to lager for 5-6 weeks.

Got a yeast starter of WLP007 going for an English-Style Porter this weekend, if that is what you want to call it... I am basically using whatever I have in my grain-inventory, so I will be using 10# Pearl Malt, 1.5# Weyermann Roast Wheat, 1/2# Brown Malt and Light Munich, some 80L British Crystal, Roast Barley (only have 4oz worth) and some Black Patent and Carafa Special III. Will be bittering with Nugget and some EKG late hops to about 45 IBU. FG will be approx. 1.020. ABV of around 6.0-6.5%.

I have only done smoked Porter’s before, this will be my first more “traditional” Porter. Want to get some darker beers rolling for the cooler months, so this should do nicely.

MrOH, skleice, Prep8611 and 1 other person like this.
  32. GormBrewhouse

Since the smoked pumpkin cinabomb was such a hit, I'm brewing it again, this time no pumpkin all winter squash.

riptorn, MrOH, chavinparty and 3 others like this.
  33. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (51) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Bottled my Blueberry Milkshake and Blueberry Lager over the past couple of days. They were both tasting excellent so excited for them to get carbonated. Even better news I now only have one 8 gallon batch to bottle for the next 6 weeks! After bottling 5-6 batches this month I very much need the break.

Next brew session will be a honey lager a week from Saturday with some yeast harvested from the blueberry batch (pulled yeast before fruit was added). Trying to do some simpler recipes to close out the year because those milkshakes and high gravity barrel aged beers are expensive!

34. Naugled

Naugled Defender (612) Sep 25, 2007 New York

Finally brewing the APA Dubbel this weekend. Also plan to brew a nice drinkable mild.

35. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,755) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Decided to throw a curveball at my Classic American Pils rice vs. corn experiment. Disappointed by both batches for missing the mark on hop bitterness, I will at least try to get some hops in there as dry hops. I am planning on an ounce of pekko in each fermenter and combining the beer. The rice-corn distinction is not worth the 2 footprints in the keezer, IMO.

36. Lukass

Lukass Savant (935) Dec 16, 2012 Ohio

Getting a recipe together for an American-style Stout, all chinook. 10 gal batch, and shooting for 50-60 IBUs. 5 gal will ferment with good ol us-05, and get dry beaned in the keg. The other 5 gal will ferment with hornindal kveik - those yeast esters should play well with the chinook. If it leans more towards a black IPA, I’d be fine with that

GormBrewhouse, skleice and riptorn like this.
  37. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,469) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

Raspberry/Orange Krausen. Is my beer infected?
    [​IMG]
    Still using carboys for fruit secondaries. If anyone has an elegant method for fruiting in conicals, I'm listening.

38. GormBrewhouse

39. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (95) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

ferm temp 4x too high with unmilled Orville Redenbacher

jbakajust1 likes this.
  40. Prep8611

Woke up at 7 and decided to brew before wife and daughter woke up. Finished by 9:30 with 30 minute mash 30 minute boil biab. Pils, 2 row, carafoam whirlpool only hallertau blanc, eldorado, Columbus. Pitched hornindal kviek at 88. Sitting at ferm chamber at 90. Will dry hope in a few days.

GormBrewhouse and skleice like this.