What's going on with Craft Beer Cellar?

Discussion in 'New England' started by canihaveyourbeer, Mar 18, 2019.

1. canihaveyourbeer

canihaveyourbeer Initiate (27) Jul 26, 2015 Massachusetts

Just based on the articles here and other places, it doesn't seem like Suzanne would ever be open to doing that.

2. Mineo

Mineo Disciple (373) Jul 7, 2010 New York

The Warwick location - re-opened in the past month or so - has food and is a full-on bar with a Happy Hour, with still several fridges and back room for beer to-go. The owners are young, very friendly. You can order most of the beer on tap in either 8, 12, or 16oz. It's very bustling on the weekends so far. I wonder if the bar-like approach will be a model or trend going forward with the franchise.

It used to be a more typical beer store, but it closed down temporarily last fall or so, reopening this spring after they put in a big bar, tables, and a shuffleboard table.

3. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (266) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

This seems to be a very popular approach everywhere except Massachusetts.

AlcahueteJ, meefmoff and Rysk22 like this.
  4. canihaveyourbeer

The profit on draft is so much higher than retail. It makes sense.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  5. Aaron58

Aaron58 Initiate (174) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

It isn't legal in MA. Can't sell to go where you serve on premise and vice versa. Taprooms/breweries excluded obviously.

6. Skwalk47

Skwalk47 Aspirant (266) Aug 31, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Yea, that's what I was getting at.

7. canihaveyourbeer

There are plenty of other states that don't allow it either. It's not just MA.

rmpic82 likes this.
  8. bostonwolf

bostonwolf Initiate (153) Jan 20, 2015 Massachusetts

This type of place (a beer store with taps and a small bar) is very common outside of MA. I'd be thrilled if it started to appear more often here.

Foamykeg likes this.
  9. th3mirror

th3mirror Initiate (16) Dec 27, 2018 Massachusetts

It's illegal in MA. You can either have a on-premises liquor license (drink onsite) or an off-premises liquor license (carry offsite) and not both. Unless of course you make the stuff yourself and then you get some weird hybrid farmer's license. This is why no bar or package store can sell growlers. This is also another reason why package stores like CBC are having a hard time in MA. Why buy a packaged product from them when you can go a brewery, have a beer onsite, get a growler onsite to walk away with and also pick up the special brewery only cans onsite?

10. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,089) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Because I want more than just one brewery's beer. And also I may want regional/national beers. Or maybe I don't want that brewery's beer at all to go even though I'm visiting their brewery. Maybe I just want a flight or a couple pints.

CBC's issue isn't that it doesn't sell drafts and just serves packaged beer to go.

It's that it doesn't sell drafts and JUST sells packaged beer to go.

If they sold wine and liquor they'd be alright.

11. Pgarand

Pgarand Initiate (81) Jan 8, 2009 New Hampshire

I just went to a cool event at the CBC in Amesbury MA today where they had multiple different breweries providing free samples of beers, a food vendor and live music going on. I don't think I've ever had such a good time beer shopping.

12. ApolloScreed

ApolloScreed Initiate (16) Oct 22, 2017 Massachusetts

Hot Springs Arkansas store closed. Don’t know circumstances but that’s what 5 this year?

13. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (85) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Wow, that's Suzanne's brother's place!

canihaveyourbeer likes this.
  14. Newport_beerguy

Newport_beerguy Zealot (551) Feb 24, 2011 Rhode Island

You know the old saying, if you lose Hot Springs you've lost the heartland.

tzieser, Aceinthehole, mgp and 3 others like this.
  15. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (329) Apr 2, 2011 Maine

I’m sure he was just a total idiot that disregarded CBC’s phenomenal corporate plan and training. Likely an anti-gay, anti-woman bigot too. I hear that’s the only reason these places fail.

16. canihaveyourbeer

Surprisingly, a store in Fort Lauderdale, FL just opened, even with all this insanity.

17. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (106) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

Not surprising, unfortunately. Info we have here on BA is very different than what the general has. Sigh. I follow them on all social media and it's like nothing ever happened. In fact, it's like they're the best beer store in the world. Sigh again.

18. ApolloScreed

No Blog Posts since 5/1 (two days after the Globe article)

19. canihaveyourbeer

You'd think someone opening a store would do some due diligence into what they're buying. Maybe the owner did, and didn't care. Who knows.

20. canihaveyourbeer

The cofounders blogs were removed!

Aceinthehole and 9percenthurdle like this.
  21. Madluvin

Madluvin Initiate (16) Apr 25, 2019 Hawaii

Blogs can still be seen on the wayback machine. One wonders who got a hold of Suzanne finally to tell her that those blog posts are way too honest, uhhhhhh, I mean damaging.

I have reached out to Ft. Lauderdale owner separately and he is a great person. You should support him. Looks like he has a nice outdoor space in the back according to his FB posts.

Belmont is apparently moving to a new location, while the Brand is cutting even the few resources they have available to existing franchisees. They went from 5 brand employees to 1 and claim it's "restructuring". This is in an email they sent us. (They had to send us an email because they discontinued basecamp, which was their communication platform.)

In reality it's because they're broke because their lawsuits have yielded exactly zero wins plus now having to pay off damages plus legal fees. PLUS any legal actions which are unsettled. (What I've seen publicly is 2 losses to franchisees for about $250k plus legal fees, and one lame duck, crazy expensive suit against Glassdoor.)

This story is far from over.

22. Madluvin

Lest you think they learned any lessons this is also worth reporting:

The lien in question appears to have never been paid off. The loan they took out either went to legal fees to shake down franchisees, or is going into opening the new, larger store. Maybe both.

The company name has also been changed from Craft Beer Stellar, to Craft Beer Cellar Group - presumably in an attempt to bamboozle any new victims leads. I hope someone reputable can at least report that news so that these "leads" can discover the connection with minor sleuthing.

23. ApolloScreed

They laid off 80% of the brand employees at the same time they announce moving to a larger space? Seems like they are putting payments on their own store success at the expense of supporting franchise stores

Plus if you donated to their go fund me, how po’d would you be to see that they had money to expand.

chrismattlin and Aceinthehole like this.
  24. canihaveyourbeer

I wonder how many other stores will try to get out soon.

25. redbill

redbill Initiate (19) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

I got the impression form the article that they're moving into a much larger space, but aren't using it all themselves. So I assume they will try to scam other small businesses to sub-lease space from them. I'm sure that will make for a very pleasant work environment.

Aceinthehole likes this.
  26. meefmoff

meefmoff Devotee (418) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

I might have missed it posted earlier but here's a link to an article about the expansion:

https://belmont.wickedlocal.com/new...lans-to-expand-to-new-belmont-center-location

Interesting that they're going to try and move into that lower level "Foodies" space which tanked fairly spectacularly as a grocery store. Also, it says that they will be adding additional refrigerated space, an expanded wine selection, and food for pairing. Many people in this thread have commented that a "beer only" store seems like a tough sell these days and it would appear the owners of CBC agree.

27. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (520) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Heard from a friend that CBC Fenway is no longer accepting CBC corporate gift cards. That store is very successful (I think) so I imagine they’re looking to dump CBC as a parent ASAP.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  28. PhilDicarlo

PhilDicarlo Initiate (77) May 6, 2014 Massachusetts

To clarify, we will continue to take gift cards from all CBCs until the end of August. As for the rest of that statement, we will have more news coming.

29. Madluvin

Good things happen to good people.

30. Madluvin

What I read is the 4500 sq. ft. space is surrounded by even more space that is being leased out around them, not that they are leasing a part of the 4500ft.

What also seems to be said is they are combining the "Beercierge" (sic) space INTO the new space. Which would probably mean they are going to put a few primary school desks in between IKEA copyrighted shelf selections.

31. canihaveyourbeer

With all their financial troubles and the liens against them, I wonder how they can afford this.

meefmoff likes this.
  32. oldbean

oldbean Disciple (343) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

With their Proven Business Model, how can they afford not to?

SouthAtholSuds and Aceinthehole like this.
  33. DucRacer900

DucRacer900 Initiate (85) Aug 13, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Schalow said she is confident their business will succeed in the lower level location.
    “If your concept and your product is what people want, they will come,” said Schalow.

34. redbill

redbill Initiate (19) Nov 29, 2018 Massachusetts

35. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,068) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey

What does homophobia have to do with running a craft beer shop?

Am I missing something here?

36. MrEff

MrEff Initiate (35) Mar 21, 2017 Massachusetts

You've missed a large porton of this thread and a lot of the CBC owners' blog posts if you don't understand the reference.

37. Madluvin

Suzanne made it clear, she thinks all straight white men from 35-55 are a HUGE issue. She also made it clear that she's being slighted right now because she's a lesbian. Not at all because she's an angry, unreasonable, delusional, lying, deceptive, megalomaniac dictator. At all.

38. tzieser

Indeed I did miss a large portion of the thread; I was hoping for someone to give me quick summary of the 9 pages of drama thus far. Appreciate the "read the thread, dick"-esque reply though :wink:

Ah, I see. Interesting, though not very surprising in the times we're living in (unfortunately).

Thanks man.

Boomblaze and AlcahueteJ like this.
  39. Shyla987

Shyla987 Initiate (106) Jul 18, 2013 Connecticut

It's not the times we're living in. It's this one specific person who is so un-self-aware that during ANY time period, she would have blamed her issues on others. She is unable to see any constructive criticism as valid and is so narcissistic that she can never admit when she's wrong. Yes she wrongly blames homophobia, but if she was an old white man, she'd find others to blame. It's never her fault.

40. tzieser

Absolutely disagree that it is not the times we are living in. Pretty much everyone these days feels the feel the need to label, categorize and sort any group of people living on this earth regardless of skin color, creed etc. It has always been this way, yes, but it is getting worse IMO more than it is getting better (source: I am not old nor am I "white" :grin:).

People just can't be people anymore. I'll just leave it at that.

Don't know enough about the rest but I'll take your word for it, certainly. The few pages I've read have been eye-opening (twitching?) to say the least.

AlcahueteJ and Rysk22 like this.