What's good in Chicago right now?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by GameFreac, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GameFreac

GameFreac Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

A coworker is going to Chicago this weekend and said he's going to the Beer Temple. What should I have him bring back for me if I just got 1 or 2 bottles?

2. SeanBond

SeanBond Pooh-Bah (2,880) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Rev. just released Deth's Tar, if you're into BA stouts. Unessionable is also awesome, if you don't mind bigger DIPAs. If you want Pipeworks, I'd go off the latest stuff on this list:
    http://pdubs.net/batch/

I'm very partial to Permanent Funeral from Three Floyds, so if that's hanging around BT, I'd pick that up, personally.

Is there any type of beer you're looking for, in specific? Chicago is so stacked with good beer that "what's good in Chicago" is a really loaded question.

GameFreac likes this.
  3. GameFreac

Not really...just anything that you guys are loving right now

Is Pipeworks Royale an American or Belgian Blonde?

4. Jordan3292

Jordan3292 Crusader (404) May 26, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Instructions to your friend: walk in, awww in its glory, close eyes, pick up beer(s) and it's good

Redrover likes this.
  5. Roland7792

Roland7792 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Illinois

I love pdub but not interest in those too, so haven't tried them.

I would highly recommend their cans of Ninja vs Unicorn and especially Lizard King. Availability of those two is pretty high right now. Abduction bombers and Mosaic Ninja are still around...both are pretty solid.

FFF amber smashed face is damn tasty too. Heard their wig splitter coffee stout is worth a try as well.

Might even be able to find Rev's unsessionable still (altho its not a favorite of mine). Fist City is a great pale ale as well.

Brickstone's Pale Ale and Hop Skip are good too and little off the hype path.

I would also add Half Acre's Gone Away.

Good luck

6. Roland7792

Roland7792 Initiate (0) Aug 9, 2015 Illinois

Sorry, didn't even realize you said 1-2 bombers.

So that would nix the cans I mentioned but Abduction, Mosaic Ninja, Amber Smashedface and Wig Splitter are prolly worth the try.

Oh, Alpine (brewed by Green Flash now) just hit Chicago recently. I don't think they are available in GA? I thought Nelson was outstanding...Green Flash brew or not.

7. Hoos78

Hoos78 Maven (1,303) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

I really like what Marz is doing. Double Jungle Boogie is tasty, and I'm partial to their Berlinner Weisse offerings. The Yuzu BW is especially good...

jsrose16 likes this.
  8. K_schrim

K_schrim Initiate (0) Oct 25, 2015 Indiana

If you're a coffee lover like myself, FFF Wig Splitter is worth having someone pick it up for you.

eppie82 likes this.
  9. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I was in Chicago last weekend and got some Pipeworks Mosaic and it was awesome.

10. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

One of the reviews on here mentions it tasting a little like a saison, so maybe it's got Belgian yeast?

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/28178/198318/

Agreed on both points. Gone Away is great, and Lizard King is too, reminds me of a Mosaic Zombie Dust.

Roland7792 likes this.
  11. Acschoen

Acschoen Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2015 Illinois

Marz Citra! Citra! Citra! IIPA is fresh

jsrose16 and Jaywalsh20 like this.
  12. GameFreac

Thanks everyone

13. Papaloth

Papaloth Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Indiana

I also have a buddy hitting chicago today - Has FW XIX made an appearance there yet? Scanning the Binny's website and it appears not....Any other good recommendations for stouts/sours?

14. SeanBond

Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I'm pretty sure it has, I've seen a couple beer places post pics of it (Beer Temple among them). Haven't seen it at Binny's though.

In terms of good stouts, Prarie has released a few stouts recently (Vanilla Noir, Bomb!), Stone just dropped Xocoveza, Revolution recently released Deth's Tar, etc. I'd probably start there. I don't drink enough sours to know who makes good ones in the area, although I hear that Alpine is good (although expensive).

Tell your buddy to hold off a week and come next Friday, and pick you up some BCBS! :stuck_out_tongue:

15. Papaloth

Papaloth Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2013 Indiana

Thanks! Vanilla Noir was another one I was going to ask about...I have another buddy hitting LP Binny's next week so that will happen as well.

16. robear

robear Initiate (0) May 24, 2014 Wisconsin

I've been digging Marz Brewing and I always love Half Acre.

Deth's Tar might be sold out by now, was getting low a few weeks ago.

17. croush

croush Pooh-Bah (2,371) Mar 20, 2015 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Binny's in the city have already gone through FW XIX. I'm pretty sure most of the better bottle shops (Beer Temple, WLV Liquors, etc.) have gone through it as well. I managed to get mine at Whole Foods since I was out of town last week for the release.

18. Schmizer

Schmizer Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2015 Wisconsin

Firestone XIX on tap right now in wicker park:wink:

19. Raj

Raj Savant (1,168) Jun 25, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

UM EVERYTHING. Well except for the murders and politics and snow. :flushed: Check out Penrose (belgian styles) and Spiteful (I like their IPAs) if you've never had them.

SeanBond likes this.
  20. Jaycase

Jaycase Grand Pooh-Bah (3,554) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

My recommendation for OP is to give his buddy a list of styles he enjoys and then have Beer Temple recommend some bottles based on what they have in the store at the time. If primarily interested in local breweries mention that as well. You've already done well steering your buddy to BT and they will not likely disappoint with their recommendations.

croush likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.