What's the deal with Bocks?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Groenebeor, Feb 27, 2016.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

If your point is that Shiner Bock is not a 'true' Bock Beer we have already agreed upon that. As I posted above: "I agree with that. In my parlance it is an American Amber Adjunct Lager but to the best of my knowledge this was the case for the American produced Bock beers of a few decades ago."

If you are making a differing point I am missing it.

Cheers!

2. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Not making a point, just sharing my source of style definition. When someone says Bock, I think BJCP definitions. When someone says Shiner/Genessee/Amber Bock, I think slightly stronger adjunct lager.

3. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

It would appear that we are in violent agreement on that point (again).

Cheers!

P.S. As regards "I think slightly stronger adjunct lager" that is not the case for Shiner Bock. Did you read the link I provided you?

4. CellarGimp

CellarGimp Initiate (0) Sep 14, 2011 Missouri

Yeah, that one's a lower ABV. But has a relatively richer flavor (less attenuation?) than your typical BMC. The truth is I haven't drank one in 5 years. Maybe I will give it another go sometime.

5. jeebeel

jeebeel Zealot (655) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

I liked it too, but I don't see it or the pale bock on their website anymore.

6. chcfan

chcfan Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2008 California

[​IMG]
    They call it a doppelbock, but it's still a hoppy bock.

7. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Maven (1,389) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado
    Trader

Haha there ya go. I think we'll find a way to make an IPA out of mustard given the popularity of IPA right now

8. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

The Stoudts Doppelbock isn't really like an IPA, its pretty much a standard type Dopplebock that's been around for several years now and is made with American Hops rather than Noble Hops. So if there were such a category it would be an American Doppelbock as opposed to a German Dopplebock. (Kind of like we have American Barleywines and English Barleywines.)

IceAce and Groenebeor like this.
  9. patto1ro

patto1ro Pooh-Bah (1,998) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands
    Pooh-Bah Society

Er, when did Maibock stop being a type of Bock?

10. Groenebeor

Groenebeor Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2009 California

1. I was referring to only "bock" as in the BJCP and Beer Advocate guidelines

2. Even Rogue ( see my post elsewhere) admits it isn't a maibock in the first place

3. Maibocks are readily available in many places, far more so than the "bock" style aka lighter doppelbock that many think isnt even a real style

11. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

BJCP calls it Traditional Bock (more fitting, I think), and I almost made the same misunderstanding as @patto1ro when I first read your OP (as have others).

#151 steveh, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    UrbanCaveman and TongoRad like this.
  12. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Maybe I was a bit too subtle in using that term on page 1; I probably should have clarified it better to avoid confusion. :slight_smile:

steveh, drtth and UrbanCaveman like this.
  13. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Pooh-Bah (1,866) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Pooh-Bah Trader

Well, I have a Schell's Herd of Bocks sampler pack and a sixer of Firebrick scheduled to arrive today, just in time for for a warm-up to the weekend. Toss in some Gravitator, Emancipator, and Eliot Ness, and the lager shall flow like beer! Next on the agenda, tracking down some way to order some of Olde Mecklenburg's offerings...

I almost can't decide which I like better, bock season or marzen season.

14. steveh

steveh Grand Pooh-Bah (4,030) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

Awful problem, isn't it? :grinning:

15. Ranbot

Ranbot Pooh-Bah (2,389) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Or an IBA - India Bock Ale. :astonished: :wink:

16. TheDuvvv

TheDuvvv Devotee (341) Dec 6, 2015 Ohio

IBA would work, however, Southern Tier already uses it in their 2XIBA- Double India Black Ale. :grimacing:

Ranbot likes this.
  17. Groenebeor

IMHO that india term needs to go away for our american versions anyways - Even the original beers never went to India in significant numbers. Most were consumed in Britain - and almost all of those exported were exported to the US!

Should be renamed to variations on "American Hoppy Ale" or "American Hopped Ales"

18. MNAle

MNAle Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

They do have windmills in Kansas! :wink:

JackHorzempa likes this.
  19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

I never heard the part about the US, can you point me to a source on that? There is a table in Steele's book for 17th century beer exports that shows the US getting a lot of beer from Britain, but that is for all beers including small, table Porter and so on, it doesn't break out IPA.

In the 1860-70 time frame more beer was being shipped to India, but that included Porter.
    http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/2014/05/british-beer-exports-1862-1872.html

20. Groenebeor

Can't remember exactly where I saw that, was somewhere around the Albany Ale stuff where I read mention of that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.