What's the minimum to serve at a beer share?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pwdbyhops, Mar 9, 2018.

1. pwdbyhops

pwdbyhops Aspirant (227) Apr 1, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I am hosting a share tomorrow for 4 people. I have a whale that I have mixed feelings about serving because it is only 375ml. Thats about 3 oz a person. Doesn't seem like I should bother at all with that bottle. That seems more like something you would share with 2-3 people. Should I just scrap it for that reason? Torn on this.

2. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (195) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Boof it?

Stout_Sabre and ManBearPat like this.
  3. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (347) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

If it was something I was dying to crack and share, I'd go for it. Otherwise it may not get shared at all:wink:. Besides, who's gonna turn down 3 oz of great beer?

SammyJaxxxx, Junior, bmugan and 3 others like this.
  4. mambossa

mambossa Initiate (195) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Jokes aside, if it’s a special bottle to you, maybe save it for one or two more people. But at the same time, slipping it into a more expansive tasting with a few more people, 3oz can be a perfect size pour.

dcotom and Ozzylizard like this.
  5. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (775) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium Member

You are thinking to hard on this one.

3oz pours are fine for a share.

6. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Meyvn (1,496) Aug 17, 2013 Germany
    Beer Trader

A 375ml bottle is perfectly fine for a share among 4-5 people. However, if it's really special to you and you are having mixed feelings, save it.

7. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Aspirant (266) Sep 16, 2015 British Columbia (Canada)
    Beer Trader

Most share's I've done pours are 1-2 oz so three is great.

8. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,014) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Member

To get a taste of a beer at all, I don't bother with less than 3-4 ounces, and 5oz is my minimum for a review. With 1-2oz it would be tough to form much of an opinion, such as whether you like it enough to buy some, and with a whale even a 3oz pour is just throwing it away IMHO unless something priced like Utopias dictates the pour size.

9. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,600) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Your call your beer. I think 3 oz is fine. A bar I frequent has Thursday get togethers, people bring bottles or the guy putting it on brings samples from breweries. Normally you will get 2 to 3 oz depending on how many people are there. I can tell on 2 or 3 oz if I want to hunt that beer down, but not going to rate it on that.

Ozzylizard likes this.
  10. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,129) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania

Everyone so far has had a valid opinion. I think it depends on the purpose of the share - to taste a rare/good beer for the potential purpose of tracking down a bottle or just to say that you've tried it, three oz is fine. If people are trying to rate/review it, don't bother cracking the bottle. Just MHO.

GOBLIN, donspublic and drtth like this.
  11. EvenMoreJesus

EvenMoreJesus Savant (904) Jun 8, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Do the other people have a big interest in this particular beer?

SammyJaxxxx likes this.
  12. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,646) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

What style is the beer? Or what is the actual beer? (unless you are purposely keeping that info a secret)

13. pwdbyhops

Beer Trader

BA stout

14. jhavs

jhavs Poo-Bah (1,646) Apr 16, 2015 New Hampshire

I'd be fine with 3 or so ounces of a big beer. If it was a wild ale or similar "lighter" style I usually want more to really figure things out.

SammyJaxxxx and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  15. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,673) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

3oz is fine, now end the suspense, what beer?

ManBearPat and EvenMoreJesus like this.
  16. pwdbyhops

Beer Trader

Lol...didnt mean to hang you guys out there. BG&E

jhavs and TonyLema1 like this.
  17. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,673) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina

Thanks, but I don’t know what that is

rodbeermunch likes this.
  18. pwdbyhops

Beer Trader

Hill Farmstead Beyond Good and Evil

Wasatch, TonyLema1 and jhavs like this.
  19. westcoastbeergeek

Beer Trader

I guess you don't drink whisky then?

islay and bbtkd like this.
  20. bbtkd

Premium Member

Not really, but the flavor of whiskey is more intense and easier to pick up the flavor with a smaller amount.

21. TrojanRB

TrojanRB Meyvn (1,153) Jul 27, 2013 California

3oz is fine for a bottle share.....there's usually plenty to taste and they tend to be high ABV.

bmugan likes this.
  22. islay

islay Aspirant (217) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I disagree. I'll take your word for it that you're unfortunately subject to that limitation, but 1 to 2 ounces should be plenty for most experienced raters. I'd guess that roughly 90% of the time my numeric rating is locked in after the first few sips, and I probably get the majority of my (often copious) notes in the first ounce. I don't think that's unusual among thoughtful reviewers (which of course excludes most Untappd users).

bbtkd likes this.
  23. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,485) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

That is cool, but please don't do a review with that amount.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Dragginballs76 and bbtkd like this.
  24. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (798) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

The minimum number of people is obviously one. Some of my best beer memories are while traveling alone in Denmark, Holland, and France. The best memories were always unplanned and with friends.Just always have plenty good beer around. Pour that 3 ounces and have some nice food and otherwise have fun!

KEEPonPOURING and Dragginballs76 like this.
  25. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,449) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Yes, you're right, you can form an opinion after that much and you may even believe you have it right, more or less. It's also true that professional tasters often do certain of their assessment on very small amounts.

But, speaking honestly and with no disrespect intended, your claim rings a bit hollow when we have no way of assessing the accuracy of your assessments, the degree of your training, the level of your experience and expertise, your degree of thoughtfulness, the reliability of your judgments or the conditions under which you take these sips.

Given how many known biases can exist that influence review/tasting results (e.g., knowing the price of the beverage, food eaten earlier in the day, mood, etc.), taking you at your word is a bit difficult.

Dragginballs76 likes this.
  26. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (217) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Open it, act like you're going to share it, and then take it to the face!

I wouldn't be too worried about whether a person gets 3 or 4 ounces. When I go to a beerfest, I don't really want more than 3 or 4 ounces.

SammyJaxxxx and Dragginballs76 like this.
  27. KingCobra686

KingCobra686 Aspirant (202) Aug 13, 2014 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

3 oz will be fine. If it was a bigger group I probably wouldnt open it though. Splitting too many ways will just be a waste. Bigger bottles work best for shares because everyone can get generous pours and you can set aside some for the end of the night when everyone gets to go back and drink more of their favorites.

28. westcoastbeergeek

Beer Trader

You can sip 3oz of beer just like whisky.

29. bbtkd

Premium Member

Sure, you can sip any amount, but there is some minimum amount of any drink required to judge the flavor, and this will vary by individual and by the intensity what is being sampled. There are certainly super-tasters out there that could judge beer/whiskey/wine on a thimble full. Since the taste intensity of beer is generally less than whiskey it takes more for me to be able to make a judgement on it.

JMFBOSTON likes this.
  30. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (261) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

You should be fine, you'd run into issues if it was a 375 of sour as you kinda lose an ounce or so due to the bottom funk (though some enjoy being gassy).

Agree however with the 2-3oz per beer. If ratios don't work out, either open earlier or after some have left.

31. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,580) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Scrap it.

I think you need 6oz minimum to even begin getting to know a beer....and that's pushing it.

bbtkd likes this.
  32. westcoastbeergeek

Beer Trader

arbitrary number, maybe you need 6.4 oz?

33. Kemblain

Kemblain Initiate (190) Jan 18, 2018 New York
    Beer Trader

Three ounces is enough to know "Am I actively going to seek out getting more of this for myself".

34. StLeasy

StLeasy Aspirant (296) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

Be careful what you post, which for the one aspect that I love about this site, I run and moderate a considerably bigger forum; there are simply other forums to post like that .

Anyways , my main point of writing this reply is to point out that despite many chemical relative safety and increased bioavaility or potency/onset , "pluggin' Pliny" is entirely unnecessary, given oral ingestion of alcohol'ss extremely low potency by weight. ~15 grams per "standard drink or 5%/12oz? Liquor on the other hand should hit harder, yet is surely more likely to cause potentially fatal health problems than even IV use . It doesn't like the dehydration and subsequent fissures formed for some reason . Science can be fun.

35. StLeasy

StLeasy Aspirant (296) Sep 8, 2013 Illinois

I edited my post to clarify on my actual response and time ran out.. So I'll summarize:

If they've hosted you better beer shares:
    Try to offer as much as you can . A Sierra Nevada or other fresh mix pack, Macros or even Malt Liquor. Could buy several 16-24oz or 40oz's, which with tall boys go with Stag (if in your area of OH), Hamm's Busch especially vs. Budweiser, Miller Lite vs High Life, and any other "competition"', Tecate, Old Milwaukee. I assume you've all had a favorite AAL before. For malt liquor , there's at least Mickey's , Steel Reserve, and Olde English 16o Z/4-packs. I would get a 40oz of Schlitz Bull Ice if possible, it's actually a deep orange and has a ton of body compared to almost all others. Except for Camp cans if available, I assumee their 12.2% " camo black extra" is still prohibted in OH, but Camp (plain) and Ale are 8.5%, Silver Ice at 9.5%, Black ice at 10.5-11%(?)

36. DrunkenMonk

DrunkenMonk Disciple (331) Jun 2, 2012 California

It’s not the size that matters.

37. bbtkd

Premium Member

It always matters at a beer share.

38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,535) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

I'd probably save it and share it with a friend, I'd want to savor it. But I'd think 3/4 oz would be ok, depends on how many beers your going to open. Another consideration is when you pop it and what beers are going to be tasted. If you wait to long guys will be buzzed so your killing your prized bottle, drink it before really hoppy stuff the buds might be off. Which brings me back to saving your prized bottle to share with one friend and really enjoy it. And enjoy your share with other beers with no stres.

bbtkd likes this.
  39. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (462) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

share it. it's beer. it's a bottle share.

40. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (1,580) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

6.4 would be better.

6.0 will do.

Again, talking bare minimum here.