What’s the one beer...?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by guinness77, Apr 14, 2019.

1. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (240) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

The two that come to mind are by no means whalez, but I love them and wish I could have them on demand...

1) Modern Times Fortunate Islands - sunshine in a glass.
    2) Yards Brawler - best representation I've had of a style that's far too rare.

2. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,957) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

MT Fortunate Islands is my go-to pool/lake/river beer. Love it! Only wish is for more frequent refreshing by local distributors, but I'll take 4x per year as opposed to one and done

spelingchampeon and Bshaw22 like this.
  3. challenger1441

challenger1441 Initiate (32) Mar 29, 2019 Pennsylvania

Hmmm....Pa to Louisiana is a bit of a haul so I'd have to say It would have to be Ghost In The Machine from Parish Brewing Co in Broussard. I had a pint at the Bulldog in Baton Rouge and was hooked, line and sinker....GOAT!

4. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,225) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

There is a few that come to mind

but the Wooley Pig Dopplebock hurt my soul to see drank

There is another guy I forget his name lives in the PNW that posts some great lagers that I need to try..

and last by not least would be HF Damon, as a dog person I want to try it but I would imagine it would be a letdown after this long of wanting it.

guinness77 likes this.
  5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (2,036) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Society Trader

A good supply of Cantillon would be nice. I would love to see Wulver around SoCal. It's one of the first beers I pick up every time I'm in Ohio. Backwoods Bastard made it...so can Wulver! I would compare the two every night!

dcotom, PapaGoose03 and guinness77 like this.
  6. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,225) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

California has let KBS and Backwoods rot since day 1. Not that you would get Wulver but you don't need it.

7. jakecattleco

Society Trader

KBS maybe, but my buddy and I have been looking for Backwoods for over 6 months with no luck. So please tell us where to find some?

8. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,526) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Fremont BBA Dark Star
    Jester King Atrial Rubicite

They still are "rotting" on shelf in NY, that's for sure.

Bshaw22, jakecattleco and guinness77 like this.
  9. Hoos78

Hoos78 Aspirant (240) Mar 3, 2015 Ohio

As a consumer, it’s not the worst thing in the world, because aged Backwoods is delicious. However, it seemed to move better as a once a year beer. How long before they pull the plug?

Bshaw22, cjgiant and jakecattleco like this.
  10. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,526) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

I love seeing it on shelf all year, and def tastes great with a bit of age on it. It can "rot" on shelf here 365 days a year and I'll happily buy it when I'm in that mood. Hope it never gets its plug pulled.

Ranbot, readyski, cjgiant and 3 others like this.
  11. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,745) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I haven’t seen Backwoods on the shelf here, I’m not much of a BW fan, but it usually goes fast anyway. There’s still lots of KBS around too, I told they're still coming in waves, so the Distributor must have gotten a ton. But at $24 whoever wanted it got what they wanted, I expect it’ll sit a bit now that the novelty wears off. TW has severely dropped the price on FBS when they were overstocked, but having 3-4 cases of KBS sitting around isn’t a problem.

spelingchampeon and Jasonja1474 like this.
  12. keithmurray

keithmurray Meyvn (1,290) Oct 7, 2009 Connecticut

Westvleteren VIII

dcotom likes this.
  13. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (160) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Ya, my local store wants $20 a 4pk of KBS. They won't split it up this year either. Last year they did single bottles at $3.50 a piece. Not this year though.

nc41 likes this.
  14. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,346) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That was a bargain at $3.50 last year. Maybe they'll do it again and you can buy 4 of them and make your own 4-pack. :wink:

keithmurray likes this.
  15. Jasonja1474

Jasonja1474 Initiate (160) Oct 15, 2018 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I asked the manager why it was different this year and i got a shoulder shrug. But she did say if it doesn't sell soon maybe they will look into doing it that way. Haven't stopped back in there in a week or so to check. I've been trying to hit up local breweries instead and see what's been cookin. I wish i would have done that last year, but i just wanted to try it and see if it was good. Honestly i was just starting out trying craft beer and not being that Miller Lite or die guy so I didn't know that it was a good deal. I'm learning now though lol.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  16. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,910) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Have you ever had it on cask? I attended the Yards Real Ale beer festival yesterday and needless to say Brawler on cask was available. That beer really 'shines' on cask IMO.

Cheers!

dcotom, Bitterbill and meefmoff like this.
  17. JackHorzempa

Society

The beer I would want more of are the beers of Hill Farmstead. A year+ ago they re-entered the Philly area market but the availability is too small and spotty (as compared to before they left). I really wish it could be like the old days (5+ years ago) when Hill Farmstead beers were more readily available.

Cheers!

18. Troutbeerbum

Troutbeerbum Initiate (165) Dec 5, 2016 Maine

Any West Coast IPA that I can't get locally. Living in the land of sub par NEIPAs....

SammyJaxxxx and thesherrybomber like this.
  19. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (574) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Even though I've never had it I'd have to say Yards Brawler. It would be fantastic to have a dark mild regularly on the shelves and the PA folks seem awfully pleased with it.

Mr. Horzempa is just rubbing it in now with the real ale festival :sunglasses:

20. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,295) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

At my house. All of them.

BeardedWalrus and jakecattleco like this.
  21. zid

zid Savant (981) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

King Sue is here now... well, at least in NYC and Westchester... but you know how that goes. Swish made a very tiny appearance a long time ago, but with the recent Bissell availability here, it might only be a matter of time before a genuine drop.

22. zid

zid Savant (981) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

If just ONE beer, maybe Mühlen Kölsch.

For beers that were once by me for a minute but then vanished, Gänstaller Bräu Zoigl.

A beer basically needs two umlauts for me to really consider it. :wink:

23. JackHorzempa

Society

Come on down next year; it is great time beer-wise and other.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Bitterbill, vabeerguy and meefmoff like this.
  24. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,090) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

That brings back memories. Some good. Some not so good.

25. vabeerguy

vabeerguy Poo-Bah (2,090) Sep 21, 2015 Virginia
    Society Trader

Now I know the secret to your longevity!

dcotom and PapaGoose03 like this.
  26. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,069) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Yeah, just saw Universal in Westbury got Sue and I just purchased a 4 of Substance in Islip of all places. I’m figuring Sue might be by me in a few days. I’m waiting for these Paulaner cans too...can’t wait to have fresh canned Munich Lager.

SudsDoctor, zid and vabeerguy like this.
  27. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (83) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Same could be said of Pliny the Anything. And since Pliny is pretty plentiful here I've had it enough times to tell you its an absolutely great beer, but not worth the hype. Maybe back when standards were different for craft beer as a whole they were mind blowing but nowadays its just a good IPA, riding on the coattails of legend and scarcity.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  28. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Cough... bullshit. When I get PtE fresh, which is far more frequent now that the Windsor facility is up and running, it's a VERY welcome change of pace from too many as average hazies. YMMV

SammyJaxxxx and PapaGoose03 like this.
  29. Beer_Stan

Trader

You have your opinion and I have mine, no need to go calling my point of view "bullshit." I never said anything negative of the beer itself other than that I don't feel its worth the hype for what it actually is.

30. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,868) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Good call. I have had that beer before and it is very good. I had it in Santa Rosa, and I also had it at Monk’s in Philadelphia while doing a day trip to see the Liberty Bell. So, you don’t have to go to Cali to have that beer. Cheers!

ps-As far as which beer I would want, it’s the opening post’s M-43, but I should be able to find it on my next road trip to the Heartland.

spelingchampeon and tolar111 like this.
  31. JimboBrews54

JimboBrews54 Devotee (453) Apr 22, 2018 Michigan
    Trader

Under the Kilt!

spelingchampeon likes this.
  32. jakecattleco

Society Trader

Where's the hype? I don't see it, maybe I need to spend time in the Trading forums?

33. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,753) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I don't know about "one" beer but I'd kill to have regular access to Suarez Family Brewing. Amongst a world that's full of big, 8% plus beers they stand out with 5% pales and pilsners, not to mention their farmhouse ales.

34. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,665) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Yeah, I mean, I could easily drive to Vermont or Massachusetts in 3-4 hours, so I really should.

dcotom likes this.
  35. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Zealot (541) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

Wow, I'm like a 5 minute drive from Islip so that's good news. I recently had The Substance for the first time (purchased at Clinton Gourmet) and wouldn't mind buying more than just one can this time.

36. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,346) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I wonder if the frequency that you've had this beer has jaded you a bit. I've had the beer on three different trips to CA and even hauled cases back to Michigan on two of those trips over a 7-8 year period, so I still put Pliny a notch above what it sounds like the beer means to you. I really don't think I could get tired of it.

37. Beer_Stan

Trader

I wouldn't say jaded due to over exposure of the beer, as I've said It's a great beer, and I'll never say otherwise. The hype surrounding it, that I've witnessed, is probably the source of my sardonic tone. The beer, to me, as good as it is, doesn't match the legend in my opinion. If you kept hearing how it's the "God of all beer" as much as I do then I'm sure you'd understand hahaha.

scream and PapaGoose03 like this.
  38. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,745) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Try used to sell by the bottles when supplies were shorter $6. They just prorated it, certainly it was no bargain.

39. JackHorzempa

Society

And that is reflective of your personal palate. Other beer drinkers have palates different from yours.

Cheers!

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  40. CheapHysterics

CheapHysterics Aspirant (221) Apr 1, 2009 Pennsylvania

A friend was kind enough to bring a bottle back from Belgium for me. Probably the one hyped beer I've ever had where I drank it and thought, "Wow, I see what all the hype is about ."

keithmurray and bbtkd like this.