What's the worst beer that you've ever had?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nc41, Jun 30, 2019.

1. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,864) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Something worse than a drain pour,I pour out beers I don’t like, but the raunchiest beer of all time. I’ve had skunked German beers so bad my house smelled like a cabbage farm, some foul ass shit of epic proportions. I’ve had beers out of tap lines that were probably never cleaned and the beer tasted like shit.

But the worst ever was a highly rated BA Stout, made by a terrific brewery. So I had a BA Ten Fidy, and upon putting it away I hit the can on a corner of the cabinet, and started spewing the most vile concoction of overwhelming soy sauce, about all of the 24 oz of that crap all over my kitchen. As it spewed I tried to contain it into my mouth, and It nauseated me beyond belief, I’ve never had a soy bomb before, that was easily the worst beer ever. I wouldn’t take a case of Ten Fidy for free, actually it killed my taste for a good many BA Stouts. Literally like taking a soy bottle and sucking on it, makes me sick thinking about it.

2. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (113) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

Such descriptive calamity man, I'm sorry you had such a shitty soy saucy experience.

3. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (186) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Recently, DFH higher math. Absolute garbage, and $10 a bottle back in sep 15.

4. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (113) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

There was a brewery that was one of the pioneers of the Pastry stout craze back in 2015 out here on the west coast called Brew Rebellion, and to this day I've never had a nastier set of beers ever put in bottles, each one was a thing watery mess of a sweet beer, with the strangest carbonation like they used a soda stream on it. They are defunct now but I will always hail them as the worst beers ever concocted (which is probably why I can drink anything else everyone hates and claim its not bad.) Once you've had the worst beer on the planet, everything else feels like a craft beer oasis by comparison hahaha

Reema, LarryV, vabeerguy and 3 others like this.
  5. stevepat

stevepat Defender (690) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

this is more a reflection on me than the brewery, but once in my wayward youth I was drinking some Steel Reserve in a 40. For some reason probably related to drinking steel reserve 40s I decided to add some cheap vodka to the bottle. Now as I'm sure you all expected that concoction was some absolute vile paint stripper grade shit. But being a broke drunk (hence the 211 40s) I knew I had to salvage it. My solution was to add some squirt (the grapefruit soda) to the mix. Needless to say this did not work and in fact produced the most vile substance I have ever ingested.

TL;DR Steel Reserve mixed with cheap vodka and squirt

6. TheGent

TheGent Poo-Bah (1,928) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Society Trader

The Veil - Hornswaggler Oreo and Salted Caramel

Horrible experience with BA Ten Fidy

It’s worth giving a good can a try, if you can get yourself to do it.

7. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,552) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

The two most vile beers I've had are Boulevard Funky Pumpkin, a pumpkin and vinegar medley, and New Belgium The Hemperor HPA, which is pre-skunked beer. The amazing things is they hadn't gone bad, they apparently tasted as intended by the brewer. Boulevard later came out with Funkier Pumpkin, which I didn't try because there was no way they could have made it more vile. I heard that some taprooms could not get the Hemperor skunk out of their lines, so had to replace them.

8. CoachPhatz

CoachPhatz Initiate (183) Aug 7, 2016 Nevada
    Society

A beer called Alf and Alf. It was half cream ale and half I can’t remember. I do recall how terrible it was. Not spoiled or anything like that, but actually packaged and sold. It was also $6 a case which should have immediately caused concern. But when your young and on a budget it seemed like a great idea. It was not.

LarryV, JA_26, vabeerguy and 2 others like this.
  9. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (2,672) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

Wiedemann. Back when I went to IU-Bloomington (early '80s), we made a road trip to Cincinnati and picked up 3 cases of Wiedemann stubby bottles.

$2.99/case.

A house full of guys crapped purple for a week.

Honorable mention: Three Floyd's Tiberian Inquisitor. Tasted like nail polish. I drank maybe 8 oz of the bomber, then dumped it. It was literally undrinkable.

10. nc41

Trader

Ewwww. I’m adding this; knowing this concoction sucked is a plus, don’t know what to say if by chance you thought that a good idea.

#10 nc41, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    LarryV and brutalfarce like this.
  11. nc41

Trader

I’m laughing my ass off at that one, beer so bad it destroyed the lines, that’s bad.

officerbill, LarryV, FBarber and 3 others like this.
  12. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,702) Sep 15, 2014 New York

White Aphro by Empire Brewing is the worst beer I have ever had. A witbier brewed with lavender. While I do enjoy the scent of real lavender, this beer was terrible. It actually tastes like soap. It was an immediate drain pour.

officerbill, Ranbot, LarryV and 2 others like this.
  13. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (3,512) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Society Trader

Twisted Pine "Ghost Face Killah".

Not even because it's begging for a lawsuit from a hip hop legend, but because it's blend of 6 different stroke-inducing peppers (yes, including the "ghost pepper") was so painfully hot that 2 sips wrecked my tongue for 24 hours.

0 beer flavor, pure pepper heat pain.

I still shudder when I think back....

DISKORD, Milktoast75, LarryV and 9 others like this.
  14. nc41

Trader

Being a BA is an evolution I suppose, I think the beers they make today have a far greater chance to turn south. Back in the late 70s the worst thing that could happen would be to pop open a smelly Heineken or decide an Ed’s Cave Creek Chili was a good idea. The oysters, muscles, beards, pubic hair, how in the hell could these possibly go wrong? That’s like 3d world country kinda crap.

15. stevepat

stevepat Defender (690) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

all I can say in my defense is that it wasn't my first steel reserve 40 of the night

16. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,552) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I had a "bad line" experience once, that I initially thought was infected beer, but have since been advised it was just "off-tasting", probably caused by dirty lines. I was having a nice supper with friends and my first beer tasted more and more metallic - and for some reason, I was stupid enough to finish it. In order to get the taste out of my mouth, I subsequently tried a different beer, water, pop, mixed drinks, shots, food, and milk. Nothing got the taste out of my mouth except time - finally cleared up after about 24 hours. I won't name the brewery or beer, because I doubt it's their fault.

LarryV and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  17. Ice_Cream_And_IPAs

Ice_Cream_And_IPAs Savant (912) Jul 16, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Creature Times by Modern Times and Creature Comforts. I was excited about a smoked collab between two such highly reputable breweries as MT and CC. But after opening the can, I could only take two small sips before dumping. To me, the combination of tartness, smoke, and noticeable pepper heat was just awful. I have no idea how enough people liked this beer for it to wind up with a 3.74 BA rating.

Oh, and how could I forget this gem. Veseliy Monakh by Rogan Brewery (Kharkiv, Ukraine). Euro strong lager is already a difficult style (Untappd rating of 2.7 for this beer is way too high). But once, I had it spoiled, after it probably sat in the sun for days. Boozy undrinkable tar, I couldn't even swallow a sip.

#17 Ice_Cream_And_IPAs, Jun 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2019
    LarryV and brutalfarce like this.
  18. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Aspirant (257) Jul 5, 2015 Kentucky

Wiedemann certainly comes to mind as a low quality beer that I drank in college, and yet I have fond memories of it and also of Milwaukee’s Best. (If that’s literally Milwaukee’s best then that’s pretty sad.)

19. puck1225

puck1225 Poo-Bah (2,286) Aug 14, 2015 Texas
    Society

Very stale Labatt’s Blue on draft at a dive bar in Erie, PA.

LarryV likes this.
  20. philbe311

philbe311 Poo-Bah (1,993) Jan 21, 2008 Pennsylvania

1,700 plus reviews... I had to go back and look, but it doesn't bring back any good memories... Anheuser Busch Wild Blue... It got a composite score of 1.55 from me... Yuck...

21. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (5,847) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

Any beer I have had with "Chelada" in the name has been God awful.

22. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Champion (845) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Society Trader

Infected Prop ‘15 and Mikeller Big Blend. Both were rancid.

LarryV, bbtkd and brutalfarce like this.
  23. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (380) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

I was blessed with the most atrocious hangover that I wouldn’t wish on my worst enemy after nightcapping with a BA Ten Fidy. I’ve lost my taste for it too lmao.

24. NickSMpls

NickSMpls Meyvn (1,120) Nov 11, 2012 Washington
    Society Trader

Bannana Bread beer from the UK.

25. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Champion (898) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

I once had a bottle of Rolling Rock.

hottenot, MikeP64, nc41 and 9 others like this.
  26. Justonemore91

Justonemore91 Aspirant (251) Nov 24, 2018 New York
    Society Trader

My first job was as a stockboy at a local supermarket.. Every night after my shift the store manager would buy a different 6 pack of beer and we would chill and decompress with another coworker.. We went from drinking corona to sierra pale ale to blue point toasted lager to some woodchuck cider.. A different 6 pack between 3 guys every single night.. One night we decided to buy this blueberry cider with a fish on the packaging and it was the most vile thing ive ever put in my mouth.. Not one of us could finish a bottle.. It was not only tooooooo sweetttt but also too carbonated.. After a couple sips we all wanted to gag.. We ended up throwing it in the trash and went back to drinking corona.. We were done experimenting with craft beer for the time being.. I was only 16 at the time and knew nothing about craft but I was always down to drink a corona or 5 lol

27. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (1,809) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society Trader

Michelob Ultra just edges out Michelob Ultra Lime & Prickly Pear Cactus 1.55 to 1.61 in my ratings.

Michelob Ultra is carbonated water and dirt ... but not even good dirt, just spare dusty sandy dirt with all the nutrients sucked out of it.

28. Houborg1

Houborg1 Crusader (759) Jun 4, 2016 Denmark
    Society

Worst I remember:

Dark and Stormy quadrupel by Partizan!!

Barrel-aged on rum barrels, with ginger and lime. Tasted like a cinnamon roll dipped in alcohol - a lot of alcohol!!
    Approx. $10...

Worst I rated:

Shipwreck by Brewdog. It just burned and tasted like smoke. NOTHING else.. AND IT COST $17.50.
    My wife found it for me at the bottleshop because it “was pretty” and didn’t notice the price..

Prices was converted from Danish kroner til USD..

29. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (4,076) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Easy. Brewdog Abstrakt 09. Tasted like an ashtray lined with manure. The only beer to ever make me gag.

30. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,337) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

This one is too easy.

Faxe, a 10% one liter disgusting can. From Denmark.

Trust me, I’ve had my share of shitty beer but I dare you to finish it, you won’t thank me for the painful hangover the following morning.

jonb5, LarryV, JamFuel and 3 others like this.
  31. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,232) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Bud Light Platinum. Aroma indistinguishable from stagnant ditch water. I recommend drinking (if you must) this vile concoction from the can or bottle so you don't have to smell it.

32. Livyatan1996

Livyatan1996 Devotee (437) Sep 29, 2017 Missouri

first beer was my worst beer, some pumpkin beer from the gas station whose name is lost to the wind. some ungodly creature resided in that can and if there was pumpkin in there that shit would've physically killed the peanuts. terrible.
    and purple haze from abita can eat it. no offense.

Cthulhusquid, LarryV, dcotom and 2 others like this.
  33. loebrygg

loebrygg Aspirant (221) Jun 4, 2016 Norway

I once tried a Wheat beer with mastic
    never again

LarryV and Shanex like this.
  34. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (9,407) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Anything & EVERYTHING from Minhas Craft Brewery! Their "beer" is unfit for human CANsumption, causing me to not only become a Cyberman/Cyberperson, but over time on The CANQuest (tm), The Cyberleader! Shhh. DON'T tell either The Doctor or Torchwood!

Cthulhusquid, JrGtr, mudbug and 8 others like this.
  35. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,959) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I'd love to try a West Coast IPA with mastic.

LarryV and zid like this.
  36. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,959) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

I once had an infected/oxidized NEIPA from some obscure UK brewery that poured a greenish brown coloration, had pea-sized globules in it and tasted like vomit. Worst beer I've had that wasn't infected was probably Coors Light. Honorable mention is Evil Twin's Bozo Beer, an over 18% ABV Stout with like 10 different additives. An absolute sweet, boozy mess and the last beer I ever purchased from them. They can keep their terrible 12€ cans.

37. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (46) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

one time as a thank you for driving up with an ex to pick up a piano and clothes left behind and drive back the same day from kc, i received 6 beers from a bodega near an apartment in little poland in chicago. they were all from a brewey from Lithuania called rinkuskiai. they were all worse than the next. it was a kick in the balls since chicago is the mecca of american craft beer. i didnt get to do any beer shopping. she "surprised" me and was able to sneak off and do some shopping. it was a great gesture. im not dead inside.

38. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (545) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Where you find this beer? Your description actually makes me want it more as I believe I would enjoy this a ton as I love just about anything extremely spicy. Been wanting to try this one along with Elevator Brewing Ghost Scorpion Lager for the longest time but never can find them.

39. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (434) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

Space dust and a new Belgium sour.
    The sour left a nasty after taste and film in my mouth till I scrubbed it out with habanyero hot sauce. That was after 1 sip.

Space dust was a gift. No idea what the date on it was, but bitter beyond belief and it appeared to have odd floaties in the head and body that were not hop residue. Again 1 sip and done

Victory_Sabre1973 and LarryV like this.
  40. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (122) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

I've got two words for you

Cranberry Lambic