What's up with Lagunitas Sucks?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 57md, Jan 1, 2020.

1. 57md

57md Poo-Bah (2,984) Aug 22, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

Lately, I have not been able to find Sucks at either of my two favorite distributors. Today, I went to the Lagunitas website and found that Sucks was listed as "Gone for Now."

I cannot imagine that Sucks doesn't sell well, so does anyone know why in the world Lagunitas would discontinue one of its best beers?

benzodrums likes this.
  2. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (218) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Been discontinued for a while now. The Quart format did not sit well with some and by the time they put it back into 6 packs, the recipe had allegedly been tinkered with to the point where some times it was so inconsistent that it was a shell of its former glorious self. Miss that beer.

3. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (310) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

While I enjoyed this beer occasionally I can attest to it being inconsistent and Lagunitas has too many similar beers so to me it made sense that this one got the axe.

Steve_Studnuts and JackHorzempa like this.
  4. raynmoon

raynmoon Champion (804) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Trader

If they don't make anymore: didn't sell well enough to keep it around.

5. Ronmarley1

Ronmarley1 Aspirant (230) Jan 20, 2014 Ohio
    Trader

I’ll echo the sentiments above that when it came back to six packs, it just didn’t taste the same. Add that to the fact that it was at least two months old when it hit the shelves, and it became an easy pass for me.

benzodrums, Tilley4 and jakecattleco like this.
  6. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (471) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Probably a good choice. I used to love Lagunitas, but unfortunately their beers all start to taste the same.

7. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,914) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

I never noticed the taste changing, but the dates on the beer by the time it showed up were horrible. They made a push to dump it at Christmas with the Santa 12 pack, picked one up and the beer was 2.5 months old. So done with it

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,599) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I too have found the quality of Lagunitas Sucks to be variable. After my last 6-pack purchase where the beer was sub-par I personally stopped purchasing this brand. Too many other high quality beers, that do not have inconsistency issues, available for purchase instead.

Cheers!

Bitterbill, Ronmarley1 and ESHBG like this.
  9. Giantspace

Giantspace Champion (811) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

The first year was such a good beer. Second year was still very good. Once it went away and came back it was not the same beer. I don’t care what Tony said. The ABV changed and it became a syrupy mess. Originally it was a huge hoppy cat piss beer that it bought every case I saw, that would be about three cases.

I am pretty sure the hops changed as well based on Tony saying the hops originally were not easy to get.

Enjoy

10. ovaltine

ovaltine Poo-Bah (3,148) Apr 6, 2010 Indiana
    Society Trader

I haven't seen it since we lived in Minnesota (3 years ago).

The last time I had it wasn't a great experience, either. But when it was dialed in, it was magnificent, IMHO.

Alefflicted likes this.
  11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,599) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

That pretty much summarizes the last 6-pack of Sucks I purchased. It was indeed a disappointing 6-pack of beer.:slight_frown:

Cheers!

ESHBG and Bitterbill like this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,219) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I also reckon that the name did eventually become a fact. Fortunately, I'm covered and don't want or need it.

13. mogulskier

mogulskier Initiate (98) Feb 3, 2019 California

Yeah, and I remember this beer being outstandingly delicious when it first came out as a substitute for brown shugga. I mean, it was really good. But quickly fell out of favor, collected dust, and eventually unrecognizable before it got dropped.

beertunes and Bitterbill like this.
  14. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (409) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

don't agree re `"quickly." It was sought after for several years as a seasonal; it was still sought after by many when it became a full-time 32 oz beer though this DID turn off a considerable share of the market; and it had heightened popularity when it returned as a full-time 6/12/24 offering. For a fairly good while.

do agree that it seemed to change before it finally fell out of favor. or maybe our palates changed.

bubseymour likes this.
  15. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,994) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

Yes agree... it was another outstanding seasonal beer that became a casualty once they went to year round production. The kiss of death for a lot of retail distribution beers.

16. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,416) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

they lost me when they abandoned the quart. i'd buy a 4 pack of those every holiday season if it was the same beer it used to be

17. Beer_Stan

Beer_Stan Initiate (160) Mar 15, 2014 California
    Trader

As legend had it, wasn't sucks a hold over from botching several huge batches of Brown Shugga' and wasn't really supposed to be made in the first place? I'd figure once BS was back on the market permanently, so would disappear the Sucks, no?

unlikelyspiderperson likes this.
  18. ESHBG

ESHBG Disciple (310) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Brown Shugga came about from messing up a batch of Old Gnarleywine. Sucks came about when they had capacity issues and couldn't brew Brown Shugga.

I would take BS over Sucks, even during Sucks prime, so I am glad that is still around.