Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

What's wetting the whistle?

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by hopswiller, May 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lukie

That Lukie guys is a jerk.

But, I drank a Squire IPA today at the Squire brewhouse thing here in Perth, and it was awful, so tonight I will be drinking a 3 Fonteinen Herfst. I did a random pick out of my seasons box, and the Lente came out. I disregarded that pick <_<

2. MrKennedy

Beer Trader

Very good, enjoy Herfst! Happy Birthday!!

3. Parrotshake

I don't know you either but with the lambic and the chile sauce and such you're probably not that bad. Happy birthday, Lukie.

Topically, I attended Armakeggon at Archive earlier. Unusually polite and respectful crowd, especially for Brisbane, to the point that I was mightily embarrased to be the first guy in our section to break a glass during an ill-timed arm-wrestling match. Nonplussed by the lineup on paper but Gunnamatta was very enjoyable, as was oak-aged Stonecutter, Bacchus maple-rauchbier thing and the sour barrel-aged version of Quiet American.

4. Lukie

>sour barrel-aged version of Quiet American<

Is that already making the rounds?!? Awesome.

5. Parrotshake

Incomparably better than regular Quiet American. Like, heaps.

As an aside, it should be said that Archive's policy on beer tickets left a bad taste in my mouth, but I haven't been to a whole bunch of beer festivals and don't necessarily know how it works. Help me out - the official line, apparently, was that the festival goes from 10am to 4pm and after that all beer tickets are invalid. Except nobody was told that beforehand, at any point. So come 4pm a staff member told some guy, who told everyone else, that we had about 5 minutes to rush the bar and get beer for our tickets or have them become worthless. Given the crowded state of the bar I asked what I could get for the 100 or so spare tickets my table had accrued and I was told to use it to buy t-shirts and/or food, as no beer would be exchanged for said tickets. Then the 'exclusive beers' ticketholders paid for were put back on and sold to blow-ins with cash. Is this standard practice at such events or is Archive the bush-league pile of shit I think it is?

Furtanken likes this.
  6. Parrotshake

TL;DR Parrotshake is a bit pissy and disillusioned, is sorry for wrecking your nice thread.

Furtanken likes this.
  7. sinkas

Beer Trader

sounds interesting, surely the next single batch is due soon

8. Lukie

That isn't the single batch. I was told it was going to be bottle-only on-premise in Freo. Obviously it is not, so should be going on tap down in Freo.

They haven't finalised the recipe on the next single batch as of 2 weeks ago. I only know basic details of it... but it's all secret secret with Creatures as usual ;)

9. Lukie

Drank a 3F Golden Blend at work. Closest thing to the Armand 4 Seasons. Really good!

10. danieelol

That sounds very poor by Archive Parrotshake

Nothing spectacular, had a Nor Cal IPA last night (was ok but seemed a bit faded) and Aecht Scherlenka Doppelbock (again, quite good, not all that complex though surprisingly, just moderate smoke and subtle doppelbock notes).

Tonight I had Hop Rod Rye. Not bad but wasn't giving me quite as much hoppiness as I perhaps would have liked.

11. MordeciaFunk

Archive screwed you I imagine. You paid for tickets you should get the booze. Unless of course you were like my friend at one such event and managed to distract the girl looking after the tickets while I someone else stole most of the vouchers/tickets etc from her desk. Oh well, live and learn.

It may have been that they had a huge demand from the general public for the 'ticket only' beers and decided to be kind. Was a time limit really not set out prior to the event? If it was, more fool you for not noticing. If it was just sprung on you 5 minutes from time, that is indeed 'bush-league'.

Tried Jimmy Squires Hop Thief IV. Meh.

One a slightly obscure topic, the last few days I have been hammering the Murphey's Stout. I've been doing this while a friend and I play PS3 games (stop laughing). I think Murphey's could be the perfect video game beer.

It's 4%, so you can still drink copious amounts and not have game play suffer - nothing worse then having a wolf eat you because you're too drunk to defend yourself. I imagine this is true in real life as well.

It comes in 500ml cans, so you don't have to get up every 15min to get another beer.

And lastly (faint praise alert), it's watery enough so you don't have flavour overload 20 cans in.

P.S I forgot to hit send on this post originally. I checked Archive's archives for the info on the craft beer festival, facebook, website etc while I was doing some other things. No mention of time was given by them. The only thing I saw was this 'Tickets are $15.00 per person, which includes a testing cup and five free samples. Further samples are $1.00 each. The event will take place on Sunday, 1 May from 11.30am until 5.30pm.' That was from a 'What's on in Brisbane' website. It seems someone was lied to.

12. MordeciaFunk

I just saw a copy of one of the tickets to it too. It only says the opening time. Yep, you got screwed.

13. Lukie

Lindemans Cassis from tap blended with cuvee rene gueuze, to soften the sweetness, but keep all of that crazy, dry, vinous funk that Cassis always has going for it. Delightful.

14. hopswiller

>sour barrel-aged version of Quiet American<

look forward to that. tonight i had the little rabbit collab (thought it tasted like watered down version of the QA) plus a squealer of digital IPA, about to attack the last few stouts i have starting with black lung 2 (yummo :D)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe