What's your ABV sweet spot?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Immortale25, Jan 11, 2014.

?

What's your ABV sweet spot range?

1. 3-4%

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. 4-5%

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. 5-6%

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. 6-7%

14 vote(s)
    21.9%
  5. 7-8%

29 vote(s)
    45.3%
  6. 8-9%

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. 9-10%

5 vote(s)
    7.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,721) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

You know what I'm talkin' about. When sitting down (or standing up) and having a few, what's the range of ABV that gets you properly tipsy without overdoing it? For me, I've found that the 7-8% range is best for me, more specifically around 7.3-7.7%. For example, Jai Alai at 7.5% ABV is like having a single IPA while nearing double IPA strength. Enough flavor and bite to hit your palate right every time without becoming watery, but not so strong that you have to stop after having 4. Just to be clear, this isn't necessarily a "session beer" thread. I'm talking about having a few (3-4) rather than several (5-8). So what say you? Where do you find that perfect balance of flavor and strength?

2. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

6-7 easy. I can have multiple different beers in one night/day that way.

3. AlienSwineFlu

AlienSwineFlu Savant (1,135) Dec 14, 2012 Ohio

I like to have a few 9-10% bottles and then stand up and regret it.

4. beardown2489

beardown2489 Pooh-Bah (1,892) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois
    Pooh-Bah Society

With the amount of incredible pale ales and IPAs out there right now I've gotta answer 6-7. So many great beers than land in the category.

5. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

Honestly, I NEVER buy a beer based on ABV. I enjoy it for the flavor and its smell and appearance. If it should happen to be 4% or 14%, it really doesn't matter to me. ABV only factors in to my decision of how much I should drink if I will be driving that night.

woodchipper likes this.
  6. Providence

Providence Pooh-Bah (2,628) Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

4-5%. I like to pee.

7. Immortale25

Immortale25 Grand Pooh-Bah (3,721) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Why do people always put words in my mouth when I create a thread? I said nothing about it affecting your buying decisions.

beerjerk666 and beardown2489 like this.
  8. markdrinksbeer

markdrinksbeer Initiate (0) Nov 14, 2013 Massachusetts

And I didn't say you did. I was just giving my reasons regarding my sweet spot (or lack thereof) for ABV. Relax man, it's all good.

9. JohnnyMc

JohnnyMc Maven (1,477) Feb 14, 2012 Ohio

Really? No 19-22% option? I'm out!

(this is just a joke please let's not argue.....too much of that on this website as it is.)

beerjerk666 likes this.
  10. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

My sweet spot is a beer with alcohol by volume

11. beerindaglass

beerindaglass Zealot (645) Feb 20, 2013 Florida
    Trader

Right now, 7.5. Jai Alai kills it!

hopsputin and TonyJ815 like this.
  12. 77black_ships

77black_ships Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2012 Belgium

Prob. Something like 9+ ABV. So that I can slowly drink 2, maybe 3. Unless if I am ticking then definitely as low as possible so that I can try as much as possible.

13. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Grand Pooh-Bah (5,731) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I vacillated between 7-8 and 8-9 (I guess that'd make it 8, eh?), but I voted 7-8 because more beers I've enjoyed lately seem to be in that zone - and voilĂ ! - I seem to have found the poll's sweet spot!

14. TonyJ815

TonyJ815 Savant (1,037) Apr 3, 2013 Florida

7-8% for me. You took the words right out of my mouth on your Jai Alai reference. Good and balanced. Hard to keep that balance over 8%.

15. rgordon

rgordon Pooh-Bah (2,689) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina
    Pooh-Bah Society

5%-6% for "several". On occasion, a 7%er or two gets me rolling, but the big boys- which I consider 8% and above- I like to share glasses with a few friends. Holidays and no driving- I'm not allowed to divulge! I must admit that Foothills Jade and Noda Hop Drop'n Roll go down awfully easy.

16. imperialbeerdude

imperialbeerdude Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2012 Colorado

I drank an entire bottle of black tuesday one night, so anything under that I guess?

17. mildlybitter75

mildlybitter75 Initiate (0) Aug 17, 2009 Pennsylvania

I always thought 5.5 percent was perfect. If you find something you like you can stay on it all night at 5.5 as opposed to 7 or 8 which you will just end up face down on the floor.

18. SummitSeries72

SummitSeries72 Zealot (516) Mar 17, 2011 New Jersey

Here's an interesting twist to the thread. I find that with higher ABV beers, I tend to drink them slower. For example, I had a couple of Goose Island BCBS recently. They clock in at a whopping 14.5% ABV. I tend to nurse them rather slowly. Not because I intend to do so, but big beers like that kind of make me nurse them. On the other hand, if I am drinking Spaten Lager - my favorite lager - which clocks in around 5%, I can literally guzzle them down. And not intentionally either. I just want to guzzle it.

So what do I have here? I tend to drink higher ABV beers over a longer period of time, lower ABV beers over a shorter period of time. All this to say, the time it takes to get buzzed with the respective beers is probably similar. I can only guess the math would corroborate this. For example, if you drink two 10% ABV beers in one hour versus 4 5% ABV beers in one hour, will the buzz effect be similar? I guess.

19. anteater

anteater Pooh-Bah (1,852) Sep 10, 2012 Oregon
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

IPAs = 8%
    Stouts, Barleywines and Old Ales = 13%+
    Sours = 2% - 11%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.