What's your Average Beer Rating?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Todd, Jan 2, 2020.

1. Shadman

Shadman Meyvn (1,008) Aug 11, 2006 Alberta (Canada)

Sort of like a local Medicine Hat Alberta brewer doing several milkshake IPA's and little else in 2018

malrubius, dukeandduke and vurt like this.
  2. jjamadorphd

jjamadorphd Meyvn (1,226) Jul 21, 2012 Florida
    Trader

Well, my average is 3.73, which is way lower than I expected. I always thought of myself as a generous review...I guess not. I am on spot for the US places and countries, but higher than I thought in styles - a good thing, I do believe.

dukeandduke likes this.
  3. Singlefinpin

Singlefinpin Aspirant (258) Jul 17, 2018 North Carolina

I'm pretty new to rating beer here at BA.
    My feelings are I'd probably never rate a beer less than 2.5 or more than 4.25 to 4.5 max. In case I ever did drink the one magical best beer ever and rated it 5.
    I try to rate to style for each beer, even if it's not my favorite style.
    I'm afraid style probably does bias my rating, even though I don't want that to happen. Subsequently, I do avoid certain styles of beer I don't like.

dukeandduke and PapaGoose03 like this.
  4. Knapp85

Knapp85 Poo-Bah (7,838) Dec 25, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

3.81 - I go hard on the 4 rating.

dukeandduke likes this.
  5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,331) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

My average rating is 4.02, and I've been known to dish out a few 5's here and there. I respect the brewer's craft, and I always try to look for positives. Maybe that's why I tend to be overly generous (read: go off the reservation) from time to time.

Shadman, dukeandduke and PapaGoose03 like this.
  6. Hat_Fulla_Beer

Hat_Fulla_Beer Zealot (540) Dec 14, 2015 Alberta (Canada)

3.97. I'm not going to buy something shitty on purpose even if I know the review is going to be funny.

dukeandduke and IKR like this.
  7. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,565) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

That's a tough quandry to face. Do you drink that great beer with full enjoyment, or do you take a 'bullet' for the crowd and write that ugly, but funny, review and enjoy every minute of that?

I'm not a reviewer, so the choice would be easy for me, but you.....?

dukeandduke and Peach63 like this.
  8. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,017) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I guess my thoughts as it pertains to rating beers are a bit skewed because of the curve. In my world a 4.0 ipa would be an average beer, it’s good but no cartwheels. When you get north of 4.25 you can tell the quality of the beer definitely moves up a step. When you get into 4.5 plus they’re truly great beers that are memorable. I wouldn’t think to buy a 3.5 rated ipa looking to buy a beer I’ve never had. That’s only one example, but with Pils I understand the curve, most don’t rate to style, and I’m including me in here too, I rate to how much I like it, but I’d rate the before Pils right there along with how I view ipas. A 3.5 Pils is most probably a very worthwhile beer.

dukeandduke and Peach63 like this.
  9. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (958) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Trader

I stopped rating on BA a long time ago. My untappd average is 3.87 with a pretty nice gaussian distribution. I can be a harsh rater, my ticking just tends to be focused on beers I think will be good. I don't like wasting my time on beers/breweries that aren't really good, let alone average or below average.

dukeandduke and NCSapiens like this.
  10. chuckpalka

chuckpalka Initiate (170) Aug 29, 2006 Illinois

3.67 I haven't reviewed one in a while New year is a good time to start again.

dukeandduke likes this.
  11. NCSapiens

NCSapiens Aspirant (247) Jul 19, 2018 Indiana

Mine’s 3.93, which is super high, but exactly what I expected. There’s a built-in bias for higher than average ratings given that I only seek out beers I think I will like and avoid low quality breweries like the plague. I’m guessing many of you are the same, but I’m curious if others feel the need to try a wide spectrum of quality. If so, why? In my view Beer Advocate’s main use is to steer me away from anything rated below 4.0. If I’m thinking about ordering a beer and it is less than 3.5 I simply pass. I’m also curious what the average rating says about the person rating. Also, has anyone ever given a 1 for appearance? What does a 1 look like? I’ve given some 5’s, but not a 1 that I remember.

dukeandduke likes this.
  12. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (2,025) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I seek out highly rated beers on the regular so this doesn't surprise me. I give out 4's like they're going out of style.

I'm easy to please.

dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

I'm gonna alter your post to my view:

I guess my thoughts as it pertains to rating beers are a bit skewed because of the curve. In my world a 3.0 ipa would be an average beer, it’s good but no cartwheels. When you get north of 3.25 you can tell the quality of the beer definitely moves up a step. When you get into 3.5 plus they’re truly great beers that are memorable. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 1.5 rated ipa looking to buy a beer I’ve never had. That’s only one example, but with Pils I understand the curve, most don’t rate to style, and I’m including me in here too, I rate to how much I like it, but I’d rate the before Pils right there along with how I view ipas. A 3.5 Pils is most certainly a very worthwhile beer. As is any 3.5 beer.

dukeandduke, nc41 and Bitterbill like this.
  14. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (4,135) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

Mine is 3.99, which I initially thought was high, but for the most part I only buy beers that have a good average rating to begin with.

dukeandduke likes this.
  15. Pstone530

Pstone530 Initiate (64) Mar 15, 2018 California
    Trader

Although the forums and knowledge base is far superior here, I tend to review on untapped (better mobile interface).
    Mine was 3.98. Most everything for me tends to fall between 3.75-4.25. I have avoided reviewing anything I drank that was past date or tasted infected.

dukeandduke likes this.
  16. nc41

Trader

The ratings are a bit weird if you look at it, an average Pils might score a 90, the top end ipas are 99/100. If I see an ipa under 90 I’d guess it to not be very popular. The ipa curve is almost unique to itself in that it tends to weigh heavy. Hard to find a Pils over 90, and there’s plenty in the low 80s that imo are terrific beers. It’s why I don’t rate beers anymore, I’m not helping the curves much, or I haven’t done so in the past.

dukeandduke likes this.
  17. PapaGoose03

Society

I like to drink a variety of styles for the learning process, but my purchase of a variety of styles usually occurs with a sampler flight while visiting a brewery. I don't prejudge quality by looking up a rating when ordering beers, so this can result in a variety of quality, especially with a newish brewery. I normally don't rate/review these beers on BA because my drinking experience is from a sampler-sized glass (or maybe it's a style with which I have minimal experience and don't feel competent to rate it). However, my wife and I decide on a rating for her to enter into UT, and if we give a score below 3.0 then I'll write one or two sentences in the BA review box about why I rated it below average. (I rate to style as best as I can.)

For the "Why?" part of your question, someone has to rate those beers that end with a poor score, but an unintentional purchase is likely the only way it's going to happen if people look up a score prior to a purchase.

Be gutsy every now and then because you need to refresh your palate recognize the subtle taste of 'badness'. Or maybe it will be better than you expected. Look at how many people have rated that beer, or how old the ratings might be, and that information may lead you to take a chance.

I've never given a "1" for any characteristic in a rating that I can recall, but a "1" for Appearance would likely mean a murky beer that should should have good clarity. However, this isn't true for certain styles such as Hefeweizens, NEIPAs, Saisons or Farmhouse Ales, etc.

dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  18. nc41

Trader

I find it a bit odd that some main line AALs score out at 1.8. Really? At the worst they’re harmless Light lagers, that are easy drinking. In some instances they’re actually quite appropriate. Kinda kills the rating theory of rating to style. IMO there’s no way Miller, Coors or Bud etc, or plug in many locals , deserves to be rated in the shit beer category. Sure I’d prefer a Heady, but that’s not how the ratings are supposed to be done. So I don’t formally rate at this point, and at my worst I just give my impression on what beer I’m drinking if I’m in on a New Beer Sunday. So it’s not so much a hard score but an impression fwiw.

19. Raime

Raime Meyvn (1,300) Jun 4, 2012 Greenland

But I'm in the " gotta try 'em all " club.

20. PapaGoose03

Society

We need members who "try 'em all" to make this site work the way it's supposed to. Thanks for taking all of the bad 'bullets' for the team.

dukeandduke, Raime, eppCOS and 3 others like this.
  21. LocalBeerGuy

LocalBeerGuy Aspirant (200) Apr 17, 2018 Saskatchewan (Canada)

I gone as far 4.75 or little lower dapends on what kind of new beer I have not try'd yet even if it's a single or in mix pack.

dukeandduke likes this.
  22. defunksta

defunksta Defender (681) Jan 18, 2019 Illinois
    Trader

Great quote. Lagers are definitely underrated. I guess you have to work within the means of the style. A 10% heady stout is going to look better than a 4.2% AAL so the ratings will gravitate toward darker, higher ABV brews. However, I try to rate adjusted for the style. A bad AAL might end up in the 2 range, whereas a bad, heavy stout might end up in the 3s. A good AAL presses above 4% whereas a fantastic, flavorful stout presses 4.5%. The nature of the style. It's hard to compare, but I try to compare within the style rather than across styles.

dukeandduke and nc41 like this.
  23. Tusk333

Tusk333 Initiate (28) Dec 19, 2019

4.09 is mine. I’m pretty judgmental on beer, but I’ve got several hundred in my fridge that I have been going through to review, so it’s kind of like a ringer to an extent, because I usually pick up beer I like. I’ve had a few bad ones here and there, but mostly I drink great brews. I’m not surprised by my average score.

dukeandduke likes this.
  24. funku2

funku2 Initiate (45) Oct 10, 2019

dukeandduke likes this.
  25. Newbeergeek1

Newbeergeek1 Defender (695) May 9, 2015 Maine
    Society

Mine sits at 4.06 which is where I want to be. There are so many beers to be had and, at 73 years old, I generally just want to find beers that are already highly rated by Beer Advocate. Generally craft beers are pricy and since I am not interested in volume drinking I tend to be very particular when I go to stores and look around. I have a good relationship with some of the worker bees and after a few years of discussions they generally know what I lean towards for styles and all I have to do is ask, “anything I should be looking at?” and away I go. I take photos of breweries I know little or nothing about and then when I go home I play with BA and read reviews and decide then to buy or not to buy. I read the worst reviews as well to try to get a balance. There are so many average beers out there and I am to old to drink average beers if I can help it. I do beer trails and really enjoy finding breweries that have very small market areas and sometimes the only place I can get their beers is at the brewery. Hill Farmstead is an example. I also am a self professed beer snob now and just try not to put average beers into my somewhat enlarged tummy. I am competitive as hell and love sharing beers with friends and bringing a hard to find beer to the fray. Bragging rights are just SO much fun.

dukeandduke, Peach63 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  26. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (309) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

No kidding. I drank a couple I considered "swill" just to review them & add to my styles reviewed list. You do have to "bite the bullet" now and then!

Bitterbill and PapaGoose03 like this.
  27. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,083) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

And that's because I sample aiming for beers I think/know I will like or do like. So there's nothing representative about these numbers. To hit the 2 - 2.5 mark, I'd have to be willing to spend my money on some seriously "meh" beers. And that's what college was for. :wink:
    Cheers!

dukeandduke and PapaGoose03 like this.
  28. Mark-Leggett

Mark-Leggett Meyvn (1,048) Jul 30, 2014 Missouri
    Society

3.71 for me. I didn't know you could look at this. Thanks for the info

dukeandduke likes this.
  29. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,567) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Since you cannot score anything below a 1, I would estimate a C average as 3.5.

30. PapaGoose03

Society

@dbrauneis, you must have been absent that day in school when calculating the average was taught. :sunglasses:

1 + 1.25 + 1.5 + 1.75 + 2 + 2.25 + 2.5 + 2.75 + 3 + 3.25 + 3.5 + 3.75 + 4 + 4.25 + 4.5 + 4.75 + 5 = 51.0

There are 17 numerical increments.

51 ÷ 17 = ‬ 3.0 = average

Of course there should be a range of scores around 3.0 that can be assigned that word 'average' and you get to decide that parameter. I define the range as 3.0 to 3.5 but sometimes think 2.75 could be the lower end of that definition.

dukeandduke, Peach63 and beertunes like this.
  31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,565) Sep 24, 2007 Saint Martin
    Trader

I was told there would be no maths!

32. nodder

nodder Devotee (436) Aug 9, 2013 New York

3.79. Higher than I thought. I figured around 3.6 or so. Lots of good beer I've tried.

dukeandduke likes this.
  33. dukeandduke

dukeandduke Meyvn (1,246) Feb 2, 2015 Illinois
    Society Trader

Average Beer Rating: 3.69

Above "average". though I try to consistently seek to try and rate "above average" beers.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  34. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,394) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

4.1 when I used to seek sought after beers. I haven't rated a beer in a few years but if I did rate the sought after beers today it would be lower. Much lower.

dukeandduke likes this.
  35. DrOfGolf

DrOfGolf Initiate (64) Jun 11, 2019 Florida

Mine is a 3.99 which may seem to be high but a few reviews were from memories of beers that I enjoyed back in my Vietnam days. Back then, almost any beer, especially a COLD beer, was great!! :wink:

dukeandduke, PapaGoose03 and nodder like this.
  36. Jlabs

Jlabs Meyvn (1,456) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

4.04 avg for me..figured it would be around 4.00 as I'm fairly liberal with my ratings

dukeandduke likes this.
  37. marquis

marquis Crusader (794) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

I haven't rated any beers lately, being in the UK most of the ones I drink are very local. I do rate cask beer for the CAMRA database though. This is as much to do with the pub itself (how beer is kept and served) as with the beer.
    I find in general that I only rate the beers which impress me, others I tend to forget.

dukeandduke likes this.
  38. cwm51662

cwm51662 Devotee (412) Apr 23, 2011 Indiana
    Society

4.02, not surprising as a lot of the more mainstream brews I don't bother dragging my reviews down with. But stay tuned tonight. I am not a big IPA guy and plan on trying my first Hop Stoopid...

dukeandduke likes this.
  39. snaotheus

snaotheus Poo-Bah (3,534) Oct 6, 2008 Washington
    Society

3.85. About what I expected .

Bitterbill likes this.
  40. YOBRI

YOBRI Initiate (55) Apr 22, 2017 Wisconsin

3.29 interesting!

dukeandduke likes this.