What's your Beer Happy Place?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by REVZEB, Oct 6, 2019.

1. REVZEB

REVZEB Poo-Bah (5,580) Mar 28, 2013 Illinois
    Society

What is your beer happy place?

For me it’s Waterbury, VT. Love sipping at blackback pub and others, but also just love walking around from bar to bar as a cool breeze passes through the fall foliage.

ichorNet, bubseymour, Beav42 and 12 others like this.
  2. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,373) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

There’s no place like home.

3. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (10,350) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri

I have several. I love my back porch or by the fire pit. I love my Chistmas/New Years visits to MInnesota. And I really like it at Thanksgiving at my in-laws with their amazing bar, pool table and football on TV.

Bshaw22, beaulabauve, Amendm and 6 others like this.
  4. mambossa

mambossa Disciple (388) Jun 30, 2015 Ohio
    Society

First place that comes to mind for a rainy autumn day is Bookhouse Brewing in my neck of the woods.
    It’s probably one of the coziest, chill, and beautiful atmospheres for a brewpub. Getting in a cozy nook in the front room and watching it rain/snow sounds damn perfect right now.

5. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,938) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Waterbury is about perfect, great bars and good food, we stayed at the Old Stagecoach Inn about the only place in town. At the Blackback one night and there’s only 4 of us drinking, 3 were BAs, and his Gf. 2 from Eastern NC, Chicago, and me.

#5 nc41, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I like drinking beer, playing trivia with my friends at Old Chicago.

Foyle, Amendm, SFACRKnight and 7 others like this.
  7. eppCOS

eppCOS Savant (996) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

El Training around Chicago breweries. All aboard!
    Period.
    Full stop.

8. nc41

Trader

There’s an Old Chicago in Myrtle Beach, great pizza and a huge beer menu, same ownership?

Amendm, Bitterbill and REVZEB like this.
  9. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (4,388) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

My couch, with my Audezes banging. My favorite places outside my house are probably Foam in Burlington, Cantillon in Brussels and Grimm in Brooklyn.

Bshaw22, Amendm, dcotom and 9 others like this.
  10. pat61

pat61 Poo-Bah (5,607) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota
    Society

The bench in front of my house or the table in the garden. In lieu of that, at Dun Angus on Inishmore there is a spot on the cliff overlooking the Atlantic where John Millington Singe sat while thinking about writing Playboy of the Western world. When the rollers come in from Boston they smash into the rocks below and blow straight up into the air a few hundred feet and then a stream of salt spray blows across the island about 4 feet off the ground. If you sit in Singe's spot - it is a smoothed out depression about ass-wide - you stay mostly dry but return to Ti Joe Watt's smelling of salt. Guinness from a can never tasted better.

Amendm, rudiecantfail, dcotom and 4 others like this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,827) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Nah, different franchisees.
    Check this out. A guy was there that did the most tours that I have ever seen!

[​IMG]

Foyle, Scrapss, Amendm and 5 others like this.
  12. REVZEB

Society

Nice! Once we move from apartment to house someday we hope to make it that happy place!

Amendm, DoctorZombies and Shanex like this.
  13. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (6,310) Sep 24, 2007 Vatican City
    Trader

The Fourth Corner. This magical spot between the Cascade Mountains and the Salish Sea.

The rest of the PNW ain't too bad either.

14. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

C'mon, ya never heard the expression:
    "Home is where your beer is." :wink:

Amendm, Peach63, dcotom and 7 others like this.
  15. Warwick7

Warwick7 Initiate (64) May 25, 2019 Maryland
    Trader

Avalon, Its a large open field with two trees. Forest all around.

16. hopsputin

hopsputin Poo-Bah (1,883) Apr 1, 2012 New Jersey
    Society

Basement or backyard. The local watering hole is also a staple for me, and always helps to bring on the weekend.

Amendm, DoctorZombies and Shanex like this.
  17. beergoot

beergoot Poo-Bah (5,082) Oct 11, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

The 'Fortress of Solitude' -- my detached garage where I can drink what I want, smoke stogies, listen to my tunes and radio programs, and be at my workbench doing what I do there.

18. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,943) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

I like being at home so I can drink beer and masturbate.

mickyge, ichorNet, tobelerone and 9 others like this.
  19. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,094) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I love my local pub - Hawthorne Bottle Shoppe, St. Pete. Great people, great varied beers from around the world on tap, a cooler full of cold beers from around the world, and bottle sharing almost every time I’m there...meeting friends for a share there on Monday 10/7/19 - Come join us!

20. DoctorZombies

DoctorZombies Poo-Bah (3,094) Feb 1, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

Probably not the only reason they call you ScaryEd...Cheers!

21. nc41

Trader

There ya go if all else fails. But.. if you married or have a GF there’s better options.

Scrapss, flaskman, Amendm and 2 others like this.
  22. Shanex

Shanex Meyvn (1,373) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Maybe he’s found the cheapest option. Beer being quite expensive already anyway.

Scrapss, Amendm, Vitacca and 6 others like this.
  23. DiUr

DiUr Initiate (188) Aug 14, 2014 Spain

Not exactly the utopian/idylic kind of place the OP is asking for but I must say I was pretty happy last night while downing half liters of fresh Hofbräu Festbier, Ayinger Maibock and Celebrator to finish my already week long end of project celebrations in good company. You know you are in a happy place when you pass on three different taps from Weihenstephan, and seeing Ayinger Kellerbier 'tapping soon' on the electronic board was the cherry on the cake, as I love that one.

The kegged version of Hofbräu was phenomenal and inmensely drinkable. Maybe the coldness somewhow 'killed' some of the nuances from the malts but it also added to the refreshment/drinkability and I just couldn´t stop enjoying this balanced brew yet again (first time on tap). Note the girl didn´t serve it too nicely and exceded the 0.5 l line by some margin, robbing me of the pleasure of a proper head. I didn´t complain. :slight_smile:

[​IMG]

I´ve already praised Ayinger Maibock from the tap before. The very definition of a dangerous beer, as you can enjoy it either as a sipper or downright gulp a couple of liters without noticing. This beer defines a style I previously 'hated' in my opinion, and while some experiences from the bottle have not been this impressive you just can´t pass on it when it shows on tap. One of the best this year definitely, and while I do love the seasonal thing it is nice to see it showing in early autumn.

[​IMG]

These two were so good that I didn´t care much for the Celebrator closing it all, the conversation heating up etc. It was also great to 'session' these particular beers on the margins of styles, given the german subtlety when it comes to ABV.

So getting back to the question I could think of several kind of places I´d be happy having a beer; German biergartens in the spring, a nice pub in coastal Cornwall while drinking bitter or IPA with the sight of the sea, and possibly rain...Or one of those lovely cafe bruins in Amsterdam (I have a favourite), the bartender serving Belgian witbier with the foam pouring out from the glass under the candles lightening, a tripel in mind for later.

That said any place with an exciting line-up will make me happy, as it happened last night!

24. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (179) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

I have a monthly beer share at a BYOB wood fired pizza place- Always a good a time.

25. ScaryEd

ScaryEd Poo-Bah (1,943) Feb 19, 2012 New Hampshire

This guy gets it.

Amendm, Vitacca, Shanex and 2 others like this.
  26. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (3,603) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Society Trader

My new space has a photography studio, separate desk/editing space, and quaint reading/drinking area. I find I really enjoy cracking a beer open and enjoying it while I work in the studio area, and then enjoy drinking the beer I just shot in the studio, at my desk. If I don't care to get on to edit, I can splay out on the lounge chair and just sit back with good music and my beer for enjoyment. Cost of operation is great, considering I can bring home quality beer for much, much cheaper than at the bars - and I get to enjoy it in my personally curated setting.

Honestly, I'm spoiled with this new setup, but it has been a dream so far.

Amendm, DoctorZombies and seakayak like this.
  27. JTW10

JTW10 Initiate (45) Nov 25, 2013 Pennsylvania

It used to be the Bierstube in Old City(Philly)

RIP

Amendm and DoctorZombies like this.
  28. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,195) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

Yet another vote for drinking at home here, which is a lot cheaper and less annoying than hitting the bars, not to mention that you are in total control of the music and ambience and can concentrate on the drink in front of you in peace.

Although I do pine for Rock Bar Mother in Tokyo at times, but that is an entirely different story. I'm generally kinda bummed out that all the time I spent in Japan was prior to my craft beer habit, I do understand that they have some world class ji-biru places in Tokyo these days. Would love to return and check them out some day, but I digress once again...

29. spersichilli

spersichilli Initiate (109) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

Probably just Vermont in general. Heady + Summer + Outside.

Other than that, my favorite brewery experiences have been Hill Farmstead and Other Half. Other Half always has old school NYC hip hop bangers on with a perpetually amazing taplist. Hill Farmstead is just in a beautiful area and of course the beer is word class

30. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,350) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

Sitting on the pier in Oly on a rainy evening drinking fresh hops is my current favorite beer memory.

31. nc41

Trader

Some bars are just more comfortable than others for whatever reason, but it’s personal to a degree. Blackback doesn’t look like much but it’s comfortable, Burial in Asheville is the same way, it’s humble but a nice place to sip a beer. I’d also say Old Mecklenburg, it’s vast, but this time of year you can sit outside and not be bothered by the crowd and noise. Places I don’t like are SN in Asheville and or Wicked Weed, just frantic and over crowded, noisy you can’t even hear who your with. I also like Resident Culture, but Heist is a bit of a hassle. To each their own.

DoctorZombies likes this.
  32. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (47) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

There is a few park benches along the Missouri River in Hermann and I’ve only been there twice but it was the most happy I’ve ever been while drinking a beer. Both times was sipping on gulden draak 9000 and had the same person as company so maybe those variables out weigh the spot.

33. iwantyourskull

iwantyourskull Initiate (47) Dec 27, 2015 Missouri

My typical happy place is a picnic in loose park by the pond in Kansas City right after hitting up bks or mikes liquors

flaskman, Amendm and DoctorZombies like this.
  34. CaptainHate

CaptainHate Savant (926) Apr 22, 2006 Ohio
    Society

In my attic in front of the stereo when the weather's cool enough, like now.

When the Wine Spot has something really special on tap (their regular selection is generally fine but every now really snag something unexpectedly primo) or is doing verticals, the people there are knowledgeable and friendly. And it's less than a mile from me.

35. REVZEB

Society

Not utopian or idyllic but that is awesome! Most certainly a happy place! Made me remember fondly the Irish pub where we used to live, beer selection was average at best, but the friends gathered, the music, and all the laughs made it a happy place for me!

36. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (201) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Yard work in the summer with a good pils/kolsch/helles or in the fall with a fest/esb/brown ale.

flaskman, Amendm, bigstar87 and 3 others like this.
  37. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,267) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Pretty much any Binny's.

Beerbadger55, Amendm, Vitacca and 2 others like this.
  38. LeRose

LeRose Meyvn (1,401) Nov 24, 2011 Massachusetts
    Society

It depends.

Typically, I'd say home and variable locations within the boundaries. My chair watching sports, reading, or listening to music. Outside cooking, and the few times we've actually used the firepit we have. Once in a while in the hot tub, but after falling asleep a couple times haven't done that as much - high ABV and sitting in warm/hot water...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Away from home - we typically vacation at a rental on the water, usually they have a nice deck overlooking said water and that's always special.

And we enjoy visiting breweries - most have been very positive experiences, a few duds over the years. Jack's Abby and Springdale are usually fun with very good food and good people. Love visiting Allagash when we get up that way. Throwback Brewery was a nice surprise this year - great food, super service, chill vibe, and good but maybe not great beer. Learned it is pretty easy to overdo it when cruising breweries, so we've cut back on that some and are a little more selective vs. trying to do a bunch all at once.

39. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,150) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

My beer happy place is me with a beer in my hand.

This could be with me sitting on the couch watching the Eagles win their football game. Or it could mean sitting on the deck listening to the birds (real birds this time) singing. Or it could be like last week sitting at a beer garden in the Czech Republic drinking from a dimpled mug:

[​IMG]

It's all good!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

Foyle, Scrapss, PapaGoose03 and 8 others like this.
  40. Oh_Dark_Star

Oh_Dark_Star Meyvn (1,167) Mar 4, 2015 Washington
    Society Trader

Except for those poor bastards who's SO's can't handle the beer on your breath. Choosing between the two recreations can be tough sometimes. So here's hoping for alternate positions to come to us beer-drinkers rescue. Cheers!

Amendm likes this.