What's your best new small-scale brewery?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by BlogueDeBieres, Nov 25, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlogueDeBieres

BlogueDeBieres Initiate (75) Sep 1, 2011 Canada

Hi ,in the last 3 years, I had the chance to try a lot of very nice, super hyped beers from all of the US, even if I am from Canada. During the last year, I am more into new breweries that are producing excellent beers in small amount and/or breweries that are under the radar for now. What would be your best brewery that you think it will become very popular in the future !?

Cheers

Marc

2. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Defender (661) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Without a doubt, Solemn Oath, here in Naperville.

Tsar_Riga, jimmygord and yemenmocha like this.
  3. gmag51

gmag51 Initiate (0) Nov 1, 2014 Minnesota

Dangerous Man and Town Hall. Theyre new to me anyway.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  4. clayrock81

clayrock81 Poo-Bah (6,198) Nov 6, 2007 Florida
    Society

Pleasure House Brewing on Shore Dr for anyone visiting Va Beach next spring or fall (don't come now).
    Haven't had any spectacular brews from them, but basically these guys are brewing beers that last one or two weeks and then they're gone.
    Basically, they're going for a nano-brewery/neighborhood bar feel rather than a normal brewery who looks to expand into bottling/canning and major distribution (at least to me).

5. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,362) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Strangeways in Richmond, VA has been pushing the envelope with their beers.

6. jlsims04

jlsims04 Devotee (489) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Alpha Brewing Company in St. Louis, their regular offerings are meh in my opinion but their sour program has been phenominal thus far. Also SA in Naperville.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  7. Hopheadgou

Hopheadgou Initiate (0) May 14, 2014 Connecticut

TREE HOUSE BREWING!!!!!!

8. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Well, we all have a bias based on geography when it comes to super small breweries, but Karben4 here is Madison is pretty great. They have released on beer in bottles, Fantasy Factory IPA, but it is still only available in the Madison metro area.

jimmyfishkin and RobinLee like this.
  9. Hoolie5

Hoolie5 Initiate (129) Mar 23, 2011 Wisconsin

Karben4 in Madison.

fredmugs likes this.
  10. JLaw55

JLaw55 Meyvn (1,206) Jul 10, 2014 Missouri

Carson's Brewing in Evansville Indiana, I have tried a few of their offerings, and they were all pretty good. Funny enough though, their Jackie-O Lantern Pumpkin Ale was the best of the bunch I tried. It is the best pumpkin beer I have ever had, and I am not a huge pumpkin nut either.

I am also pretty partial to 4 Hands Brewing in St. Louis, but I think they are starting to finally become pretty well known around some parts of the country.

TCJ0100 likes this.
  11. jimmygord

jimmygord Initiate (0) Aug 26, 2008 Illinois

Only Child Brewing in Northbrook IL

Loved the Milky Way Princess!!!

BlogueDeBieres likes this.
  12. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Angry Erik Brewing in Lafayette, NJ.

13. ari32

ari32 Initiate (0) Jul 16, 2013 Georgia

Orpheus and Creature Comforts out of GA.

14. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,689) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

Depends on how small you're talking about, but Comrade Brewing in Denver is doing some great things.

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  15. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,428) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

In my area it is Burley Oak in Berlin, MD.

16. Stinger80OH

Stinger80OH Champion (851) Nov 11, 2011 Ohio
    Trader

17. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I thought 18th Street in Gary, IN was well known but I took a Vanilla Hunter to Darkness Day and nobody I shared with had heard of them.

BeerMeBro720 and Bprowell like this.
  18. ONovoMexicano

ONovoMexicano Poo-Bah (2,831) Jun 14, 2012 New Mexico

I absolutely second the Dangerous Man mention. Awesome brewery. I'd also say Sisyphus while we're talking Minneapolis.

In Arizona, I'm waiting for Dragoon to blow up and get the recognition they deserve.

In Los Angeles, I think Highland Park is gonna start getting more attention.

Here in New Mexico, I think people are going to start going ga-ga for Bosque Brewing's IPAs the way they do for La Cumbre's.

Oh, and in NYC, yikes, a lot of breweries are about to blow the eff up. Singlecut and Other Half, for sure.

19. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

OEC Brewing in Oxford, Connecticut; Funk Factory Geuzeria in Madison, Wisconsin; Tree House Brewing in Monson, Massachusetts; Side Project In St. Louis, Missouri; Cellarmaker Brewing in San Francisco; The Rare Barrel in Berkeley, California; Peekskill Brewery in Peekskill, New York; Plan Bee Farm Brewery in Fishkili, New York; Casey Brewing and Blending in Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Black Husky in Pembine, Wisconsin.

RobinLee, BlogueDeBieres and bcoyle like this.
  20. lester619

lester619 Devotee (470) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Agreed. Fantasy Factory is a very solid IPA, even though I find the unicorn box it comes in ridiculous.

21. BlogueDeBieres

BlogueDeBieres Initiate (75) Sep 1, 2011 Canada

Thanks a lot guys !, in the lot, which ones are already bottling !?

I know that Plan bee, Casey, Burley Oak, rare Barrel, and Strangeways are bottling already. Any others !?

Cheers

22. jbeizer

jbeizer Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2010 Massachusetts

Trillium is awesome. I also enjoyed 4 Noses when I was in Denver a few months ago.

23. GeorgiaKiwi

GeorgiaKiwi Disciple (394) Dec 7, 2007 Georgia

Burnt Hickory Brewing in Kennesaw GA in suburban Atlanta. Just went to a bigger system and their great beers are about to be more readily available.

24. BrownAleBollocks

BrownAleBollocks Zealot (509) Nov 18, 2014 Kansas

Walnut River Brewing, El Dorado, KS. Going to start canning soon and expanding. They make great brews and are super nice, laid back guys. Easy to just chill at the brewery and talk with them.

25. THANAT0PSIS

THANAT0PSIS Crusader (793) Aug 3, 2010 Wisconsin
    Trader

All the ones I listed besides Peekskill, Cellarmaker, and Tree House are already bottling. Cheers!

26. shredder83

shredder83 Disciple (375) Feb 21, 2013 Illinois

Penrose brewing in Geneva, belgian inspired brews and I've yet to try a beer I didn't enjoy from them.

27. FalconOne

FalconOne Devotee (426) May 7, 2014 Ohio

Zaftig Brewing Company in Columbus, Ohio.

Lynn and BlogueDeBieres like this.
  28. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,782) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

Here's another one to add to the upper tier of Michigan breweries....Stormcloud Brewing in Frankfort, Michigan. You can read my review here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/32991/?view=ratings

Any trip to visit the great breweries in Traverse City should include a visit to this place. It's about 30-40 minutes west of Traverse City, right on Lake Michigan. They don't bottle/can their stuff, so you gotta' go there to enjoy it.

29. pmangold

pmangold Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Florida

Persimmon Hollow Brewing Company in Deland, FL. I was very impressed with the beers, the people and the actual brewery/tasting room itself. top notch operation.

we've got some new ones opening soon in Orlando that I hope to add to a thread like this in the future.

30. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (7,548) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

What's the definition of "small"? A 1/2 bbl system? 1bbl? 2, 7, 15, 25?

31. maltmaster420

maltmaster420 Disciple (312) Aug 17, 2005 Oregon

They're not exactly "under the radar" anymore, but De Garde has been killing it this year.

32. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (567) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Burial Asheville-- on the local map but tiny and under most folks radar not in immediate vicinity.

esetter, Tsar_Riga and BlogueDeBieres like this.
  33. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (70) Jul 18, 2013 Texas

8th Wonder here in Houston... If anyone is visiting during the holidays I highly recommend!

34. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,078) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

Wicked Weed, Fonta Flora, Noda, Fullsteam, and Gibbs 100. Some of these are very popular now, but their brews keep people on their toes, watching and waiting.

35. josmickam

josmickam Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Georgia

Spiteful.

36. chefmikeanderson

chefmikeanderson Initiate (189) Feb 1, 2009 Georgia

Creature Comforts is going to destroy all breweries in Georgia. Just watch. They are doing some good things.

ari32 likes this.
  37. Givemebeer

Givemebeer Zealot (536) Apr 6, 2013 Vermont

In order:
    Kane
    Lost Nation
    Carton

HopBomb515, blassor and jiggad369 like this.
  38. BlackNotesIII

BlackNotesIII Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Alabama

Trim Tab in Birmingham!

Mojo likes this.
  39. EricLiPuma

EricLiPuma Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2014 New Jersey

Paradox Brewery out of Schroon lake, New York. Very down to earth people who are doing it right.

40. eb1610

eb1610 Disciple (369) Jan 3, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.