What's your bottle count and why?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by johnInLA, Jul 3, 2016.

?

How many bottles do you have on hand now?

1. 0-12

54 vote(s)
    9.2%
  2. 13-25

67 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. 26-50

101 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. 50-100

126 vote(s)
    21.4%
  5. 100-250

150 vote(s)
    25.4%
  6. 250-500

64 vote(s)
    10.8%
  7. 500-1000

18 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. 1000+

10 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (764) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium

There was a thread at the end of last year about your beer related resolutions,

Mine was to reduce my bottle count.

Last year my bottle count swelled to roughly 100, For me that was to much. I like to have a good beer selection on hand, but I'm not interested in a beer collection. In addition, I have room for roughly 50 bottles of cold storage. Beyond that is goes into a dark closest that varies between cellar temperature ( ~50F ) in winter to room temp ( ~70 ) in summer, which it not optimal. So I started reducing my bottle count.

I started the year at 88 bottles and as of June 30th it was at 78. So the trend is in the right direction.

As BA's we find ourselves in places to buy great bottles all the time. So showing some restraint is, well, is not as easy as it sounds :slight_smile:

I also know people that have large collections of hundreds of bottles. And that works for them.

And others that are building collections.

This thread is really about what works for you and are you moving in that direction , are maintaining where you want to be, or are you moving in the opposite direction.

So, what works for you?

What is your bottle count?

What is your optimal bottle count?

Are you headed in the that direction?

2. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (74) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas

I voted 100-250. This is down from a year ago. Sometimes you just get too many and they get old. Age is good for some, and no so good for others. I plan to target around 100. Maybe 24 or so daily drinkers and maybe 75 to age or for special occasions.

zid and Geuzedad like this.
  3. guinness77

guinness77 Champion (882) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Funny enough, I started the beer resolution thread and I haven't exactly been doing the best of jobs. At one point I was up to almost 40 bombers but I'm in the 25-30 range now which, I guess, is better.

12oz and 16oz cans and bottles are a different story. I'm losing (maybe, actually(?) winning) that battle. I've always had a fair amount on hand, but I have more now than ever. Without counting, I have to have at least 4 cases, probably more, maybe close to 100. The wife just got me a "beer" fridge which is admittedly smaller than a regular fridge but bigger than a space saver fridge and I couldn't even fit all my cold beer in, lol. I think I sometimes like shopping for beer almost as much as I like drinking it. I like having options at my house, considering I don't go to bars much, and I also like offering things to friends when they come by.

4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,438) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

I have a little more than a case- mostly high gravity BBA beers, but there are some brett beers as well. They are aging, and then will be consumed at the appropriate time. I don't really 'collect', myself. This is pretty much a manageable amount, because as the older bottles get consumed, they are replaced with this year's model, and nothing gets lost in the shuffle.

frozyn, LuskusDelph, Premo88 and 8 others like this.
  5. Realsambo

Realsambo Initiate (86) Apr 15, 2016 Idaho
    Trader

I tend to collect when I'm out of state. On top of that, if i buy a six or four pack and it's above 10% abv, ill put one or two away to see what happens in a year in two. I have about 60 singles just sitting there waiting on the right time.

6. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,206) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado

100-250. I have a problem.

FCal79, Bdubbsyall, FBGordon and 4 others like this.
  7. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,515) May 7, 2015 Florida

I have about 10, It's kinda like money I have a hard time holding on to it.

8. Wiffler27

Wiffler27 Meyvn (1,262) Aug 16, 2009 New Jersey
    Premium

if cans counted i'd have much closer to 75. i voted 26-50

9. JuicesFlowing

JuicesFlowing Poo-Bah (2,224) Jul 5, 2009 Kansas

This thread is mind blowing to me. I get that people do the whole "collecting" thing with their 55 degree cellars, but good lord. I feel like a dirt bag when I have beer leftover from two weeks ago. I guess I'll never be a true "beer geek" and that's fine by me. Feel free to piss on my grave or ban me.

SaltofOH, SammyJaxxxx, deakin and 9 others like this.
  10. TastefulNudity

TastefulNudity Initiate (0) May 7, 2013 California

Lol nobody is going to lynch you for not having a collection. Some enjoy beer as a side hobby, some dive in head-first.

I have way WAY more bottles than is necessary, my friends know that I'm a hoarder. I have a cold storage fridge for hoppy/light beers (which I tend to buy way less of), a chest freezer with a temp controller that's pretty full, and I'm also staring at a pile of boxes/bottles to my left on my room floor that's a little out of hand. I'd have to say that I'm at the upper limit of 100-250 if not pushing 300+ bottles.

11. guinness77

guinness77 Champion (882) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Why would anyone judge you for that? I feel like a shithead most of the time because I have all this beer. It's not even like I consider what I have a collection, I just have a buying problem more than anything.

12. johnInLA

johnInLA Crusader (764) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Premium

We are all BA's here, from the guy that never has more the a six pack in the fridge to the guy that has a cellar with hundreds of bottles.

There is no "right" answer here, except what is right for you.

I just thought it would be a fun, light hearted discussion to see where everyone was at and if its where they want to be. As I said for me, I'm trying to lower my bottle count, slowly :slight_smile:

As for being a "beer geek", I'm with you, I've never subscribed to that term. I prefer Beer Advocate.

I guess I've never acquired a taste for biting the heads off of chickens, even if they are marinated in beer. :slight_smile:

13. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Disciple (310) Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

I'm a beer drinker, not a collector. Rarely keep anything for over a month. Don't need a cellar for aging, my beer ages as it passes through me.

14. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (1,949) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

Too many to count, still not enough.

15. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,697) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Not that many right now. I remember the days when I had a couple of hundred easy, and everyone of them was different.:slight_smile:

Cheers!

ONovoMexicano likes this.
  16. NoYouDidnt

NoYouDidnt Zealot (506) Feb 15, 2015 Indiana
    Trader

I have found music have found myself, over the last year or so especially, collecting rather than drinking. I don't want that to be the case, so frequently I just have to tell myself, "you need to drink away this stash." I'm between the 26-50 spot. This is an area which has seemed a nice balance between beers I would plan to drink a lot of, beers I want to save for a special occasion/sip on for a night, and new beers I just want to taste and try to find new 'go to beers.' It is hard to maintain that balance. But is worth the effort to again strike a balance for a healthier lifestyle and one that is not just constant drinking, or constant beer purchasing. (Often the two go hand in hand.) So, buy the beer, drink the beer, and sometimes, save one for a little something special, or to share with a buddy for the heck of it.

#16 NoYouDidnt, Jul 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    ONovoMexicano and mikeinportc like this.
  17. BSW

BSW Aspirant (227) Jun 20, 2011 California
    Trader

I almost never have anything I'm not going to drink in the next week. More often than not, my fridge is completely beer free Monday through Thursday. Hoarding beer isn't a problem I have. An all encompassing obsession with freshness, though, that's another story.

18. HopBomb515

HopBomb515 Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 New Jersey

Last count put me at 428 and its probably pushing 500 now. Why? Because I buy more than I drink and I enjoy the hunt. Most are aging and waiting for the right time to open and some need to be drank. I do pretty well keeping track and rotating.

19. connecticutpoet

connecticutpoet Poo-Bah (2,138) Jun 10, 2004 Connecticut
    Premium Trader

I've got about 70 - 100 beers for everyday drinking and 30 - 50 that I am cellaring. My wife told me I shouldn't buy any more beer until I drink what's in the cellar. I said "So you're telling me you want me to drink more." She said
    That's NOT what I'm saying," to which I replied "That's what I CHOOSE to hear."

20. Hoppy_Time

Hoppy_Time Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2016 Maine

You made me get up and count. 37 not counting homebrew, so I voted 26-50. If I counted homebrew it would be in the 50-100 zone. My beer mood can vary wildly, I might want a gose with dinner then decide I want big BBA Stout for dessert, so I keep a bunch of different styles on hand. Then I have a few beers that age well saved for the right time, and Hoppy beers that go quick and get replaced quick.

21. larryi86

larryi86 Poo-Bah (3,130) Apr 4, 2010 Delaware
    Premium Trader

Around 120, half is aging and the other is me my "drink now" area

ONovoMexicano and VABA like this.
  22. fx20736

fx20736 Savant (982) Mar 7, 2009 New York

about 350

connecticutpoet likes this.
  23. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (337) May 5, 2013 Minnesota

I voted between 250 and 500. I am around 300 actual which is down 50 or so bottles from the year before. I am definitely heading in the right direction

24. colts9016

colts9016 Poo-Bah (1,977) Jul 2, 2007 Idaho
    Premium Trader

I started this year around 100 bottles. I am trying to go down but there are some good beers out that could use some age and I will just do that. I would like to get down to 20 or so until I move for the final time. I am looking at retirement, sadly, do to some medical conditions.

25. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (1,947) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Premium Trader

I have to say that the poll results so far form one of the prettiest Bell curves I've ever seen here, and I'm smack dab in the middle of it. I have way too many beers that I've hung on to for way too long. I am trying to get the bottle count down right now, so I decided not long ago that I wasn't going to buy any more for a while.

“The best laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley.” - Robert Burns

mikeinportc and connecticutpoet like this.
  26. patto1ro

patto1ro Zealot (515) Apr 26, 2004 Netherlands

I've probably got around 150 bottles. 50 or so long term keepers like Courage Russian Stout and Cantillon. Stuff for next week and Dutch beers I've bought to write about are about another 50. And stuff I've been given by brewers makes up the last third.

27. Ozzylizard

Ozzylizard Poo-Bah (3,101) Oct 5, 2013 Pennsylvania
    Premium Trader

Too many. Here in PA cases are the most commonly sold and since I like BBA stouts, there are at least five cases of various stouts in 12 ozers and bombers as well as the wild ales I bring back from TX a couple of times a year. Since I'm currently averaging two beers consumed a day, I've either got to drink more or buy less.

28. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (901) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

I'm at around 150 bottles and 6 kegs, all homebrewed...I've got maybe 12 commercial beers in the fridge for when I feel like having something new/different. Beer is for drinking, not collecting IMO.

29. VTBrewHound

VTBrewHound Aspirant (242) Jan 5, 2013 Vermont

0-12 However, there a four whales aging, but then we have homebrewed varieties I didn't count.
    Two cases Tombstone Pale Ale, Two Cases Honey Saison, 5 gallons Belgian Quad, aging, 5 gallons Imperial Farmhouse Ale, aging. So, maybe my count is just under 500. Cheers !

John_Beeryman likes this.
  30. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

I seem to be hovering around 50 despite my efforts to drink it down. I tend to buy more than I drink, so it takes real effort to just say no when I run across a stock of one of my favorites. For example, I have probably 10 bottles of FBS in the cellar, and someone just told me of a local store selling cases of it for $20! While I like FBS and it has a cult following for many, I have run across several other stouts I prefer over FBS so probably won't jump on deal. Sure seems to be a glut of FBS given that it is supposed to be a winter seasonal. Right now, I can't stop buying Central Waters Cassian Sunset BBS whenever I find it - probably gone for the season now.

#30 bbtkd, Jul 3, 2016
  31. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,542) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

I'll join some of the others in saying I don't think anyone here will want to ban you or piss on your grave.

I've got about 100 bottles in the basement but living in a state where I have to buy most of my beer by the case or pay huge mark up for smaller quantities, I've found that planning on keepiing some things for a while (e.g., Cantillon, Drie Fountenien, some quads and triples, etc.) is pretty much my best strategy for coping with an urge to enjoy diversity, preferring most beers fresh, and having to buy multiple cases a year while staying within my limited beer budget.

Rather than scorn such as you I sort of envy folks who can simply walk into one or more stores every week or so, buy a few bottles at a reasonable price, while still being able to find and enjoy the diversity they want when they feel the urge to try something new or enjoy an old favorite.

You should be feeling fortunate you don't have to feel like a dirt bag for having to keep some favorites with extended best by dates in the basement to be sure you can enjoy them once in a while or arrange sharing with friends.

#31 drtth, Jul 3, 2016
  32. beertoro

beertoro Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2015 New Jersey

I've been trying to downsize. I used to have at most a 4 pack and a 6 pack with a bomber or two.

It's out of hand and specially now that it's session/APA/IPA "season" I'm doing myself a disservice by housing bottles of these. I'm eventually getting to some three months later. I wanted to enjoy that Alesmith IPA, but bought Trillium and Singlecut before I could. And then I got some New Jersey ones. And then I eventually get to that IPA and wish I had had it sooner when I bought it in March.

Trying to keep the "hoarding" to just stouts for now. Good thing is summer is beach/BBQ season, so I speed up the process with the hoppier ones.

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,570) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

A goodly amount of my shelf stock is Bcbs of some variety from a few different releases , along with Kbs, and a few random 22oz Stouts.

34. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,001) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium

Good point - most of my cellar are stouts, don't want to keep other styles around - except maybe bretts. And, if anyone is cellaring any 2015 BCBS or variants you may want to drink through it due to the reported infections, or at least check your dates against those listed in the applicable threads. The 2015 BCBS and variants are probably not the vintage to age the advised 5 years.

35. eppie82

eppie82 Meyvn (1,051) Apr 19, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Right around ~30.

Most are high abv BA stouts and a couple of sours whereas PA, IPA and DIPAs don't usually last a week from the time of purchase. Goal is to ultimately get down to about 12. I had around 60 or so just a few months ago but got tired of just looking at them and not drinking them.

36. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,529) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I have company this weekend otherwise I would have been in the 0-12 category. =)

37. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (6,590) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Premium

Always under a dozen usually...

38. John_Beeryman

John_Beeryman Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2014 Virginia

I'm with the amazed guy. I've never had more than about 20.

VTBrewHound and connecticutpoet like this.
  39. Samlover55

Samlover55 Zealot (590) Oct 8, 2015 New York
    Trader

Hovering around 50, would like to be closer to thirty with 20 or so aging and 10 to "drink now", however, as @guinness77 said i definitely like shopping for beer almost as much as drinking. That being said I do tend to drink more when I have more.
    Cheers!

ONovoMexicano, bbtkd and guinness77 like this.
  40. JrGtr

JrGtr Disciple (366) Apr 13, 2006 Massachusetts

I don't have an exact count of my beer cellar, but when I moved about a year and a half ago, I moved 32 cases of commercial beer and another 10 or so of homebrew. I think I'm down a bit from there; I haven't been buying ass much cellar-worthy beers and have been cracking in there a bit more often. I probably still have 300+ bottles of commercial and 6 or so cases homebrew down there.
    Why? Because I can I do like the collecting, and I like opening a bottle after a year or a few and seeing what the time has done for it. Sometimes a beer doesn't handle time well, but many do, and often for the better, and dramatically so.

connecticutpoet and fx20736 like this.