What's your fallback beer when dining at places with a limited selection?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by pro100, Mar 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro100

pro100 Initiate (107) Oct 12, 2014 California

Believe it or not there are people that literally walk out of bars if their craft tap selections aren't up to their standards. Me personally, not a fan of the Coors/Miller/Bud macros but if it comes down to it I can always drink the standard Sam Adams Lager, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale(love this beer anyway), Amstel Light, Heineken, Stella. Give or take a few others... what's yours?

2. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (281) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

I usually base my dining choices at least partially on the beer selection, but I can eat a meal without beer if I have to.
    I will not drink inferior beer just so I can drink beer with my meal.

3. sparx1100

sparx1100 Zealot (594) Jun 18, 2008 Minnesota

most place's around here will have summit EPA which would be my first choice otherwise would go with Sam Adams or Pabst

cervezango, sillyhed8 and jakemn91 like this.
  4. stoutmasterjames

stoutmasterjames Initiate (0) Mar 8, 2010 Maryland

5. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (283) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico
    Trader

Never really been to places JUST for the beer. I go for the food 95% of the time, with or without beer. I am okay drinking water or having some soda.. But for those chain places or older places with old beer contracts, it's usually a Sam Adams seasonal that tides me over.

Quite a few local joints seem to want to support local (great thing for my region). So this sort of question never really comes up for me. Local movement has been a great thing for the food and beer genre in my area. They co-exist too nicely

JLaw55 and Professor_Yeesh like this.
  6. blastoderm55

blastoderm55 Disciple (343) Jun 7, 2013 Texas
    Trader

I'll often just drink water. Preserve the liver for the worthwhile stuff.

7. ChicagoGuy

ChicagoGuy Initiate (0) Dec 2, 2014 Illinois

If nothing "good" is available, I'm totally fine with Miller Lite, Coors Light, Schlitz, Hamm's, or PBR. In fact, I'd order any of those over Sam Adams, Leinie, etc. Diet Pepsi, Arnold Palmer (if they have real lemonade instead of from-concentrate junk), and water would also be in the running.

8. Valleyview06

Valleyview06 Aspirant (215) Oct 13, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

If I am out most places usually have at minimum, 60 Minute, or something comparable. The only place I run into BMC and such is at golf courses. And in that setting, I am ok drinking a Bud or Corona, but I usually try to stuff some All Day cans in my bag.

Mikexw and intobenme like this.
  9. HoppySeb

HoppySeb Crusader (747) Jan 21, 2014 Washington

Depends on the mood.

If i am having breakdast, lunch, brunch or whatever and im hungover... i sometimes will have a light, crisp, refreshing and tasteless ice cold glass of Bud Light along side a fatty and in any orher situation equally disgusting meal thats so disgusting its great.

If i'm not hungover - most of the options above work for me although its nearly impossible to find a restaurant without craft in Seattle.

10. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

Red wine or no beer at all.

11. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

Bud's usually available...

beergoot likes this.
  12. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,933) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

As in tonite, had to suck it up and drink a couple of Rebel IPA's, which I am not going to bitch about, the next best option was blue moon, which I also enjoy. Can always find something

SawDog505 likes this.
  13. IPAandGreenChile

IPAandGreenChile Initiate (0) Jun 25, 2014 Colorado

Time for a Gin and Tonic or a Margarita if they're good at that place.

4truth, will_eye_e and Rsqrd1 like this.
  14. chrisjws

chrisjws Champion (873) Dec 3, 2014 California
    Trader

Sam Adams or Sierra Nevada. If those or anything good aren't available, then I go with water more likely than not.

15. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,891) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Water or wine. I don't drink beer I don't want for the sake of drinking beer.

woemad, JimmyTheDook, timotao and 2 others like this.
  16. JDbudget87

JDbudget87 Initiate (0) Oct 9, 2014 Arkansas

Even at the places with limited beer options, I can find something like Blue Moon (which is a sentimental favorite from my early beer drinking days, anyway), Sam Adams, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Stella, Heineken, Fat Tire, and Shiner Bock. A couple of those beers (Sierra and Sam Adams) are ones I like anyway.

MikeP64 likes this.
  17. Pantalones

Pantalones Devotee (450) Nov 14, 2014 Virginia

Pretty much everywhere I've been to that serves beer at all has at least one beer I would rather have than water or the "comes from a soda dispenser" lemonade that they usually have.

The two Italian places in town probably have the most limited selection of anywhere I eat even remotely often, and they both have Peroni, Michelob, and an amber lager (Yuengling at one, Kilian's Irish Red at the other) available so I have a few choices even then. The Italian place the next town over offers one or two beers from Devil's Backbone in addition to the macros, so the choice there is pretty obvious. The Italian place back home has several different green-bottle European lagers plus Blue Moon, Boston Lager, and Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.

And every Mexican place I've been to has a pretty big selection of Mexican imports, so I usually get Negra Modelo or Bohemia from them... though I don't think I can honestly count those as "limited selection," considering that they offer about a dozen different beers including a couple that I've never once seen in a grocery store's fridge. XD

18. Nittybeat

Nittybeat Initiate (62) Jan 28, 2015 California
    Trader

If I am at a chain place for the happy hour with friends ill just kinda go with what everyone else gets. I am like some others in here and I never really pick a restaurant based on their beer .

19. LakerLeith

LakerLeith Zealot (549) Aug 11, 2013 California
    Trader

Exactly!

floridadrift likes this.
  20. Casterbridge

Casterbridge Disciple (390) Mar 26, 2010 Connecticut

I do not dine at establishments that do not respect me enough to put some care into their tap lists.

Pivo, chrismattlin, jakemn91 and 3 others like this.
  21. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (5,112) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

Rebel has been my savor lately also. It is a solid beer, but still nothing that is in my fridge normally.

22. WiscoTerr

WiscoTerr Aspirant (249) Feb 20, 2014 Colorado
    Trader

Two hearted if I'm lucky, then SNPA, Rebel if I really want beer.....or Gin

23. Asics

Asics Disciple (370) Jul 28, 2012 Washington

Most places carry Tanqueray and tonic thank goodness.

Nittybeat likes this.
  24. pmangold

pmangold Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Florida

red wine and/or bourbon if needed. no shame there.

Greenplastic615 likes this.
  25. LMT

LMT Initiate (0) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

Most places will at least have Sam Adams or SNPA....both of which I like.

If it is BMC or water, I'll choose water every time. I don't see the need to waste money or calories on a beer that I really don't like.

surfcaster and jakemn91 like this.
  26. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (622) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I look for SNPA, New Belgium , Sam Adams or agua in that order.

27. BurgeoningBrewhead

BurgeoningBrewhead Crusader (772) Jul 18, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sam Adams...seasonal or just the lager.

28. Flashy

Flashy Zealot (553) Oct 22, 2003 Vermont

I hear wine, both red and white, are acceptable at Italian Restaurants. When in Rome..

Sneers likes this.
  29. meb3476

meb3476 Aspirant (211) Apr 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Water...

SFNC likes this.
  30. BWM-77

BWM-77 Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2014 Kentucky

Something from Schlafly is usually available in my area. So there's that...

aratcliffe likes this.
  31. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Depends on how I'm feeling. If I really want a beer I can typically get a Sam Adams. If I'm just out for a normal meal I typically save myself the cash and then reward myself with a bottle of St. Bernardus or something for the same price that I would have paid at the restaurant.

32. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

PBR...Sam Adams whatever...Sierra Nevada...Stella...and if it's the big three or nothing-Budweiser. I don't have to drink, but if I am going out to eat with friends and/or family and it's a fun social gathering, I will and I am not so finicky that I can't enjoy something from the the big boys. I will enjoy it for what it is, too...and be glad I have good beer at home...lol...

ChicagoGuy likes this.
  33. twb0392

twb0392 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Wisconsin

Boston Lager or SVPA; one of those two will probably be available

34. woodchip

woodchip Zealot (524) Jan 30, 2011 North Carolina
    Trader

Hoppyum seems to be my fallback beer lately.

Zh78888 likes this.
  35. jimmyfishkin

jimmyfishkin Aspirant (217) Nov 17, 2008 Wisconsin

Most places around here at least have Spotted Cow or some other New Glarus beer available on tap,although if it's only Cow I'll look elsewhere as I'm not really a fan of that one. Also depends on the mood I'm in; if I really want a beer I'll order something, but I draw the line at Schlitz, Blue Moon or PBR. Anything below that and I'll have water or soda, thank you kindly.

36. Zh78888

Zh78888 Initiate (0) Nov 2, 2014 North Carolina

Local seasonals or miller lite if it's in those throwback bottles.

37. budanoo

budanoo Initiate (0) Mar 10, 2014 Louisiana

Around here, there is almost always a local beer or two on draft or in bottles. They may not be spectacular, but they are usually of higher quality than BMC products.

So, I either go local or water.

38. MikeWard

MikeWard Poo-Bah (2,113) Sep 14, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Society

I'll usually go with some decaf coffee. If I'm in the mood for a beer, Guinness.

39. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,362) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

99% of the time when eating out I drink unsweetened ice tea. Just really against paying restaurant markup for a beer that I wouldn't normally drink. Don't have to have beer with dinner. However, if I am really, really in need of a beer with dinner I will go with Devil's Backbone Vienna Lager (usually available at most ANY place locally) or if I am not local, I'd go with a Boston Lager since it's similar.

40. PorterPro125

PorterPro125 Champion (851) Jan 19, 2013 Canada

I consider myself incredibly lucky that most restaurants around my locale (Fredericton) are big proponents of carrying local beer (mostly Picaroons). If I can't get Picaroons or a fallback such as Samuel Adams, I'll honestly just order Budweiser or Coors. I don't have anything against BMC Lagers and could easily drink them anytime, I would just rather drink something with a little more flavour.

BWM-77 and ChicagoGuy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.