Where are the Missouri beer geeks?

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by jasonycurtis, May 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasonycurtis

jasonycurtis Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2012 Oklahoma

I love about 45 minutes from the border of Missouri and love to drive there for beer. Unfortunately you guys fly way under the radar on these forums. I never know when stuff is hitting shelves. Anybody out there wanna help a fellow beer lover out? I just need updates on the better releases. A regular guy or two who can take a second to message me. Please help.

2. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (615) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Check out www.stlhops.com. I know you are on the Western side of the state but our St Louis forum often covers statewide releases. Also, check out the blog section at www.wineandcheeseplace.com, they post when new release dates are announced and when they arrive. Certain parts of the state may be a little behind/ahead of StL but these sites can give you a good idea

jaminjohnson likes this.
  3. jimmyr78

jimmyr78 Initiate (0) Jan 26, 2013 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I sometimes stalk BA, but agree that those in eastern MO stick to the STL Hops website more than here. Most of the brewers, brewery reps, and distributors hang out there and release info. +1 on the Wine and Cheese Place blog. Paul, their beer manager, is awesome at keeping everyone posted on releases.

jaminjohnson likes this.
  4. jasonycurtis

Thank you guys. These will help. I'm really surprised Missouri doesn't have a stronger presence in this forum. It has a good craft beer culture but almost no voices here. At least not regular. But if you're using different sources, that makes sense. Thanks again.

5. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (189) Jul 3, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

Alot of people were banned many year ago from what I'm told, so they use other sites

evilcatfish likes this.
  6. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (615) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Yea, us boyz from the Show Me state are outta control

theminutemen likes this.
  7. shebby

shebby Initiate (0) Feb 29, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

If you're looking for info on news releases in the KC area, check out the KC Craft Beer Forum (craftbeerkc.com), or alternatively, sometimes the KC Craft Beer Blog. Most of the guys on the forum use RB instead of BA, but they still have a lot of good info :).

8. grumpy

grumpy Disciple (364) May 24, 2005 Missouri

We just can't get a word in edgewise with all the Twin Cities chatter....;)

BrettHead and jaminjohnson like this.
  9. spartan1979

spartan1979 Aspirant (295) Dec 29, 2005 Missouri

Another vote for STLHops.com. This forum feels too much like a Minnesota forum than a Midwest forum.

evilcatfish likes this.
  10. jasonycurtis

You guys should change that! Missouri is a solid beer state. Make this a Missouri forum guys. Oklahoma boys keep our presence known amongst a Texas and Arizona forum. And we're a veritable wasteland here. Much respect guys. Thanks for your help. And make more noise.

11. jaminjohnson

jaminjohnson Initiate (189) Jul 3, 2012 Yukon (Canada)

There's no point when there is a whole website dedicated just to STL

12. jono0101

jono0101 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

another vote here for the wine and cheese place blog, they always post the rare releases, and do their best to make sure everyone gets a fair shot at them, also, you cant go wrong just following all of the local breweries on twitter, i get tipped off on releases from 4 hands and perennial on twitter occasionally as well

that being said, is there anything in particular you were looking to be informed about?

13. jasonycurtis

Well I missed Parabola and I've missed a few other smaller but solid releases just because I didn't know they were hitting Missouri when they did. Just looking for that conversation that tells me to start calling the shops. Otherwise I'm calling shops every few days. That's a pain for me and them. I'll try the other sights and I keep the dialogue open. Thanks again for all the responses. You guys have been helpful. I could always bring some great Prairie Ale releases up if someone wanted to do an in person trade. Just FYI.

14. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,247) May 24, 2005 Oklahoma
    Beer Trader

Honestly I've given up as some stores in SW Mizzou are very tight lipped about the meager cut of the good'uns they get. Not really imppressed when the clerk tells me about the awesome limited releases he got to drink yet I never hear about. I really need to get my ass up to Springfield & see what the Brown Derby has on offer. Since the 2 macadoodles near me are closer than any quality PK stores, I'll muddle through with my Deschutes, Firestone Walker, Odell, Founders & Bells, ect my fellow Okies are deprived of.

15. jono0101

jono0101 Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2011 Missouri
    Beer Trader

i missed out on parabola this year too (a painful story by the way, thanks for bringing it up again ;) ), some of the releases like that you have to almost be lucky to see the post go up for reservations, because the small amount most places get is snapped up in minutes. for example, this year's KBS release sold out within one minute at the wine and cheese place, they did online reservations and i missed it by what had to have been seconds, i was lucky enough to be able to get a single bottle of it later from a different source, but sometimes the big releases are just tough to get, i will try to keep you in mind though when i hear about releases in the st louis area

16. jasonycurtis

Sweet! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe