Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Where Did Toppling Goliath Come From?!

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by starrdogg, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mandark

Mandark Initiate (0) Apr 8, 2008 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've only tried one of their IPAs--Zeelander--and it left me wanting to try all their beers, it was that good. I don't even care about the limited releases if their more common beers are that stellar.

Best news I've heard in quite awhile.

2. 1up

1up Disciple (361) Mar 5, 2013 District of Columbia

Maybe, some people are good at trading or skirting the system:
    http://beeradvocate.com/community/t...of-your-latest-haul.136/page-377#post-1373403

3. dckepley

dckepley Aspirant (201) Aug 13, 2006 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I like seeing this thread under "(General)Beer Talk" instead of "(Regional)US-Midwest"...great exposure for these guys!

geneseohawk likes this.
  4. RKPStogie

RKPStogie Initiate (0) Nov 4, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

The more people that think they are overrated the better as far as I'm concerned...more for me!!!

5. celfan

celfan Disciple (327) Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Yes!

6. Wolfhead

Wolfhead Initiate (165) Sep 1, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I've had their IPA's at bars and tastings around the IC as both my kids go to school there.
    Great guys, great beers but I've never seen TG in bottle shops including John's

7. BottleCaps80

BottleCaps80 Zealot (595) Jan 12, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

That is because they bottle so little beer (for now) that once it hits shelves, it's literally gone in a few hours or less. No joke.

tgchief likes this.
  8. lunarbrew

lunarbrew Zealot (508) Mar 11, 2013 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

While I also like ZD a little better, I think we must keep your whole mentality in perspective. ZD is widely considered to be one of the best citra beers on the shelf (although it's realistically more of a hypothetical shelf!). Pitting two of the best citra beers in existence and diminishing one to "hype," simply because it's not the best of the bunch, is hardly fair. I think Pseudo had masterful execution. It's pretty hard to deny that.

As for the Assassin, I believe that it was indeed worth the price tag. God damn that beer is good. I would shell out $24 (or was it $26?) again in a heartbeat.

redblacks75 likes this.
  9. DaveAnderson

DaveAnderson Devotee (479) Jan 11, 2011 Minnesota

Well, I did surmise I was typical. And if I were to guess, that poster probably was pooling his whole carpool for the photo. I rode down with a friend, and we each got a bottle, so in principle, I could have taken a photo of two bottles each: Kentucky Brunch, Sosus, Naughty Temple (we obtained the last two courtesy of a friend of a friend). That would not have meant it was all mine.

10. spicoli00

spicoli00 Zealot (541) Jul 6, 2005 Indiana

Heard they have genetically modified goats that urinate the best dipa you have ever had. EVAR!

11. mynie

mynie Poo-Bah (3,480) Jun 22, 2004 Maryland
    Beer Trader

True story, back in Iowa I lived next to one of TG's brewers. I was like 23 and he was 19. He asks me if he wants to try his homebrew, which I figured would be like Apple Jack or Mr. Beer or some other such wretched shit, because back when I was 19 my greatest alcoholic achievement was dropping a Jolly Rancher into a Zima.

I tried it, but only after he had asked me a half dozen times. It was fabulous. The kid was too young to legally buy a Bud, yet he was already brewing some of the best beer in the state.

JavaNoire, fishtremble and Bond111 like this.
  12. clonebrewer

clonebrewer Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2009 Iowa
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I've had most of their pale ales, ipas, and Assassin. I used to think ZD was the best a citra beer could be until I had fresh Sue. Shit is for real. I'm in Iowa, but haven't been able to make the trek to Decorah. Not the easiest place to get to, but its on my short list.

tgchief likes this.
  13. TgBC

TgBC Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2011 Iowa

Thanks for the shoutout! Fun times back then; never thought some homebrews (at the time) would end up causing so much buzz. Been very fortunate to drink a lot of great beers with a lot of great people along the way. Let me know next time you stop in.

fishtremble and tgchief like this.
  14. Bay01

Bay01 Aspirant (278) Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

!!!! How about coming to FOBAB this year to introduce yourself to the market?

redblacks75 likes this.
  15. TgBC

TgBC Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2011 Iowa

Worry not, FOBAB has been on the radar for a long time. It'll happen.

Gonzoillini, redblacks75 and Bay01 like this.
  16. Wisconsin

Wisconsin Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2008 Wisconsin

Interesting. Care to explain the New Glarus connection further?

17. spoonhawk

spoonhawk Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2010 Iowa

They are god passionate people brewing brilliant beer. I fell in love with Toppling Goliath a few years ago while attending the University of Iowa, and have been beating the Toppling Goliath drum from the get. I am glad to see that they are finally getting the recognition their dedication, creativity, and quality (of both final product and character) warrants.

youngac likes this.
  18. TheodorHerzl

TheodorHerzl Zealot (513) Mar 30, 2007 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I spent the majority of my day at their table at Great Taste last year. I was really wowed by their beers.

19. mynie

mynie Poo-Bah (3,480) Jun 22, 2004 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Give me free beer plz

20. MarvinTheMarzen

MarvinTheMarzen Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2009 Iowa

Maybe I'm not enough of a hop-head but the TG beers do not blow me away. My friends love items like PseudoSue but it may be that they are more west-coast and less "midwestern" (aka balanced) than other regional beers. Items like Assassin are very good but the breadth of the beer line is "competent". Dorothy's is a nice change-of-pace brew (CA Common). We were able to stop at the brewpub a few weeks ago (40 miles from where I grew up) and it was what you would expect - you go for the brew and not the atmosphere.

21. CLaBarre

CLaBarre Aspirant (288) Feb 22, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Having had fresh ZD and Sue side by side a few weeks back, Sue is better IMO. Love all of TG's beers and always great people to talk to when having had the chance.

22. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Never had any of their brews, but seeing a brewery from a non-blue-blood "beer state" get so much recognition makes me happy.

jreindl likes this.
  23. Orlando

Orlando Initiate (0) Aug 7, 2012 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Spent the 4th in Decorah. Great decision. Toppling is doing great work. Made a point of trying everything & all was stellar. Really impressed by their hoppy offerings, lots of citrus. The Zeelander brewed with Nelson Sauvin & Thresher were stand outs besides the expected standout pSuedoSue. Also really impressed by the Rover Truck Oatmeal Stout. Wish they would've allowed for Growler fills of the Thresher & Rover, but still able to head home with 4 growlers.

Real surprise was the Assassin my buddy had for me. Going to get into it this weekend. Anyone with a KBBS or Mornin D up for a bottle share?

All in all great trip, highly recommended. Keep it up TG!

24. MNBeerGeek

MNBeerGeek Zealot (552) Jun 25, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I will be heading to Decorah in a couple weeks. Are bottles sold in stores around town (or at the brewery)? Or all on tap at the brewery?

25. MooseBoose

MooseBoose Zealot (533) Jun 6, 2007 Wisconsin
    Subscriber

We thought just the opposite. We went down with a group of guys a few months back and had a great time trying everything they had and laughing, joking, and telling stories with the bartender (very nice Canadian/Iowian girl), and a few locals. The atmosphere was great.

The thing that most impressed me about the beer was how EVERYTHING we tried to me was good. It is rare for me when I go to a brewery big or small and like every one of their offerings, but TG accomplished that. I am looking forward to going back soon!

26. DrLaFollette

DrLaFollette Initiate (102) Oct 19, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

Definitely agree with everything in this post! Toppling Goliath is killing it!

4DAloveofSTOUT and youngac like this.
  27. DrLaFollette

DrLaFollette Initiate (102) Oct 19, 2012 Utah
    Beer Trader

Keep up the amazing work Clark! Fellow BA Shebby and I are constantly blown away by your beers!

tgchief likes this.
  28. psychotia

psychotia Disciple (318) Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

Had Kentucky Brunch, and as many have said before me, it's the best stout, if not the best beer, to ever enter my oral cavity. I nearly fell over when I tasted it. Right behind that experience was the unexpected taste of Mornin' Delight I had at the Great Taste last summer... I went into it without ANY expectations and needed about a minute to collect my thoughts.

And don't get me started on every. other. beer. they. make. I drink pseudoSue by straight from the GROWLER!!!

jreindl, youngac and tgchief like this.
  29. Gonzoillini

Gonzoillini Meyvn (1,117) Oct 15, 2008 Illinois

The biggest takeaway I've had from my 3 hardhat tours of New Glarus is the Hilltop (and I'm sure the riverside as well) facilities obsession with reducing dissolved oxygen in their bottled product. While not that interesting to the non-brewer / beer nerd, it was fascinating their dedication to reducing oxygen thus creating a longer lasting shelf stable product that won't oxidize as quickly as many of the other beers in a retail environment.

Hoping that was the takeaway the TG guys had from New Glarus, and really looking forward to fighting everyone else for their beers when they land in IL.

Cheers!

JavaNoire and Wisconsin like this.
  30. tgchief

tgchief Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2010 Iowa

Yes! At the CBC in San Diego, they put on a seminar about the subject, and after that I was able to get further insight visiting their bottling line myself. And after that....mmmmmmm their beer taste great. :slight_smile:

Gonzoillini likes this.
  31. tgchief

You are on top of what we desire and understand! We fight O2 after fermentation vengefully.

Cheers!

Gonzoillini likes this.
  32. tgchief

Thanks Doc! Looking forward to continuing our journey together and sharing beers from the Midwest with the rest of the country and being worthy :wink:.

33. DubbelTrubbel

DubbelTrubbel Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Georgia

What a coincidence...I tried TG Golden Nugget today in Iowa City, and it was quite good. I think I preferred it to the Two Hearted I had.

34. tgchief

We are trying to do the best we can to bottle more beer. No joke, spend a couple days with us and you will see our heart and soul (and about 14 hours) is spent every day trying to give you more of our best. Thanks for supports and kudos!

Clark

WYVYRN527 likes this.
  35. tgchief

It is just so fun to hear from and meet people with the same love for beer as us....and too them, YOU.....we say thank you and CHEERS!

Clark

4DAloveofSTOUT likes this.
  36. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,462) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

What are people asking for. I can get growlers for about $10.

copslovebeer likes this.
  37. evilcatfish

evilcatfish Defender (622) May 11, 2012 Missouri
    Beer Trader

I'm mainly talking about some of the limited bottle releases, I figure the growlers may be a bit easier

38. Erdinger2003

Erdinger2003 Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2005 Iowa

The Taproom in Decorah has any if they are available.

MNBeerGeek likes this.
  39. samoblue

samoblue Initiate (183) Apr 26, 2006 California

Grew up in Iowa, but live in San Diego. Was back in Iowa in June, and had several Golden Nuggets at El Bait Shop. I love Alpine and Societe, but I'd put GN up against their very best. If they had been around when I was looking at colleges, I might have given Luther more of a chance...

clonebrewer and BottleCaps80 like this.
  40. youngac

youngac Initiate (159) Jul 14, 2005 North Carolina

I tell everyone that Alpine is the TG of the west or TG is the alpine of the midwest. (And I actually prefer TG)

I would love a collab IPA/dIPA/tIPA or the like from these breweries. Would be sweet for each to brew an IPA from the same recipe.

BottleCaps80 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.