Belgium Where to rent a car in brussels?

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Mista, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Mista

Mista Aspirant (201) Nov 10, 2011 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Looking to rent a car for a day or two in Brussels so our party can drop off beer at BinaB or Etre to ship back to the states. Any suggestions? or is it better to work out a trade with one of you fine folks to bus us around for a day/tour guide in exchange for muling US beer over for cost ;)

2. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,005) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry Beer Trader

Rent it from the US while booking your flight. Literally 5 times cheaper.

JosephThompson, Domingo and einhorn like this.
  3. Mista

Beer Trader

We really only want the car for one day just so we can drive from brussels to antwerp to drop off all purchases to be shipped back otherwise we really have no use or want for a car. Just figured it's a pain in the ass to lug around 45+ kg of beer on the train per person.

4. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

You can still rent one for one day from here. Use kayak.com

rrryanc and drtth like this.
  5. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

@herrburgess is right. Book it from the US. Walk up to the counter at airport and be prepared for sticker shock. I'm guessing that if you went that route they'll charge EURO 200-250.

herrburgess likes this.
  6. atpca

atpca Zealot (575) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I rented a car to make the trip to Orval (totally worth it). Since we didn't want or need a car for the whole stay, I ruled out the Airport locations. There are many options at Midi station, but they have crap hours (close at 6pm with a €20 unattended drop off fee) and low included mileage. If you can trek to one of the other city options, you'll save a ton. I ended up using Europcar and the "European Area" location. Got an automatic hatchback for $40/day (after taxes and fees). Since it was raining heavily the morning we picked up the car we took an Uber from the hotel, added another $8 to the day.

SHU06Les likes this.
  7. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,194) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I booked mine via Travelocity a couple years ago. It was something like $40 per day with a $5 upcharge for an automatic. No additional charges for mileage or leaving the country. The prices at the counter were more than 2X that. I just picked it up and dropped it off at the airport.

8. captaincoffee

captaincoffee Meyvn (1,181) Jul 10, 2011 United Kingdom (England)

The internet is your friend. Use it to search for car rentals. End thread.

needMIbeer likes this.
  9. Mista

Beer Trader

I was hoping we wouldn't have to go back to the airport to rent a car for a day.

10. herrburgess

Industry Beer Trader

You can indicate online which rental place you want to pick up your car at. Airport is fastest and easiest, and least likely to raise eyebrows at the much lower price. But you can select others if you want.

11. einhorn

einhorn Aspirant (292) Nov 3, 2005 California
    Beer Trader

I have always found that most airports have an extra fee for any transaction that takes place on airport property, hence the heavy concentration of rental locations NEAR the airport. But again, a little bit of research and possibly a short train/taxi/Uber ride might be an option.

12. atpca

atpca Zealot (575) Jun 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

13. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (84) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Don't know why you want to ship from there? You can use to money to ship it from any postoffice...

Wondering why.

14. Mista

Beer Trader

Wanted to take the lazy mans approach and drop it off at BinaB or Etre to ship back so we didn't have to deal with bringing/locating packing supplies.

15. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (84) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium
    Beer Trader

Saw the pm ;-)

16. Mista

Beer Trader

Is it possible to get an Uber from Grote Dorst to central brussels or are they too remote?

17. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Disciple (385) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

I wouldn't count on it but there are some long routes that are regularly Ubered, like Charleroi airport, so maybe it's worth a try to put the parameters into the app in advance and see what you get.

JosephThompson likes this.
  18. riko

riko Aspirant (207) Jan 18, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

It's easy to take the bus to and from Grote Dorst. I've done it twice.

Mista likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.