Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Where would you start working this cellar off?

Discussion in 'Cellaring / Aging Beer' started by TheVicster, May 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheVicster

TheVicster Disciple (358) Feb 28, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

I need to start shrinking, or trading the cellar. Where would you begin with your consumption?

SN fritz and kens x4

09 Stone vertical epic x 2

2010 night stalkerx6

09 NC old stock ale

09-10 Brooklyn BCSx6

09 BCBS x 6

09 founders kbs 5

2014 kbs x4

09 lost abbey angels share brandy

2010 stone RIS

2009 stone RIS

2011 DFH immort ale

2011 Bigfoot x4

2010 BCBCS x4

2010 BCBVS X2

2010 BCBS X 12

2011 Backwoods Bastard x 12

2012 Black Ops

BA old Rasputin XIV

2. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused Aspirant (254) Dec 11, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I would drink the 09 kbs and stone vertical right away.

Eriktheipaman likes this.
  3. TheVicster

Beer Trader

Because you think they're expired, or........

4. dazedandconfused

dazedandconfused Aspirant (254) Dec 11, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Because I don't feel kbs gets better with age. And stone vertical epic wasn't all that great to begin with. And would also drink the bourbon county vanilla. The more you wait the more the vanilla notes will fade.

5. Poorpatz

Poorpatz Initiate (0) Apr 27, 2010 Massachusetts

Drink the Angel's share, opened one the other night not as good as a few months ago.

6. CerealKillerKP

CerealKillerKP Initiate (0) May 24, 2009 Kentucky

Is this an example of one of those "Humble brags?" Anyway, I'd probably start with the BCBVS and 09 KBS.

7. TheVicster

Beer Trader

Thanks for the ........compliment? Lighten up, it's an honest question. But if I offended, mea culpa.

barrybeerdog likes this.
  8. needMIbeer

needMIbeer Champion (830) Feb 5, 2014 Texas
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I would personally start with the Backwoods since you have more of it. Will definitely give you an idea where it's at and if it's worth holding on to longer.

9. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,656) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Drink the KBS right now. Trade me a bottle of BCBVS.

10. paulys55

paulys55 Zealot (587) Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Are you "shrinking" this cellar by drinking or trading?

11. onespartan

onespartan Aspirant (286) Nov 1, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Agreed on the Backwoods Bastard. Personally I think it fades substantially after about 6 months. Drink up!

ColdOne likes this.
  12. Yarf018

Yarf018 Initiate (0) May 13, 2014 Colorado

I'd go with the 09 bcbs seeing that it's at the 5 year mark

13. josmickam

josmickam Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2013 Georgia
    Beer Trader

I would drink the Fritz & Kens and a stone vertical epic. I've had 06-12, and I can't remember if I loved the 09, but they're all good.

14. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Champion (838) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia
    Beer Trader

I would start by sending me all of the bourbon county beers

15. TheVicster

Beer Trader

If anybody is interested in trading for any of these let me know. Drinking it down will take a while, lol

16. TheVicster

Beer Trader

man, everybody wants that vanilla, lol. Would you believe that at the time it wasn't all that hard to buy them? I got 6, and could have gotten more. Passed on just as many rare because I'd dint want to,pay the 50 dollar freight.

17. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (397) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Drink the BCBVS. We had a bottle a couple weeks
    ago and it is not as good as it was a year ago IMO.

18. SeanBond

SeanBond Champion (863) Jul 30, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

If I had a time machine...

19. Dupage25

Dupage25 Aspirant (279) Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

Start with these:

The Immort Ale is in all likelihood complete shit, so don't sweat only having one bottle left. Night Stalker is either falling by the wayside or a chocolate malt bomb; same deal with Brooklyn BCS. You have plenty of both, start drinking. BCBS Vanilla is apparently amazing but fading, so crack one to see. BCBS Coffee has probably degraded significantly and has almost no trade value because of it, so drink those now. I have no idea how you managed to get a hold of 12 bottles of the 2010 BCBS, but that's more than plenty to start whittling it down. Ditto the 6 bottles of 2009. If I had to guess I would say Backwoods has fallen off too, and my guess is it also doesn't command much trade value, so start there too.

Two that I left off that are possibles for immediate, no-questions-asked drinking are 2009 Old Stock Ale and SN Fritz/Ken's Ale. I'm sure the Old Stock can go longer but it's probably delicious right now; on the other hand, since you only have one, drinking it won't clear up much space, which seems to be your main objective here. I never had Friz/Ken's stout, have heard nothing but good things about, have heard it's aging spectacularly and given Sierra's track record I imagine it could go longer. However, it probably has decent trade value due to it being a one-off from over four years ago; it was also easily the hardest one of the anniversary beers to get. I would check to see what people are asking for it before drinking it.

paulys55 likes this.
  20. barrybeerdog

barrybeerdog Initiate (170) Aug 17, 2012 Minnesota

Really? Are you that insecure about your own "cellar" shortcomings?

21. MCMASTERSANCHEZ

MCMASTERSANCHEZ Aspirant (259) Jun 28, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Trade me that BCBVS or both thats where I would start

22. TheVicster

Beer Trader

thanks! I appreciate your reply.

And thanks to everyone for their input, I appreciate the different viewpoints.

23. BrettHead

BrettHead Devotee (479) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Well backwoods and kbs don't age well so I would start there

24. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

Agree with those who claim that KBS and Backwoods Bastard do not age well. That has been my experience, too. For future reference, I would consume these beers within 6 mos.-1 year of purchase. Though I do tend to hold back one bottle of KBS for a bit longer to compare with the next year's version.

I note quite a few Imperial stouts here. Feel free to disagree, but my experience has been that most Imperial stouts peak at two years out. It tends to be downhill from there. So, I'd work on those Stone RIS and Brooklyn Black chocolate stouts next. I'm sure they'll be tasty, but by this point the oxidation tends to overshadow the benefits conferred by cellaring. Again, YMMV, but I'd consider aging Imperial stouts no longer than two years (though it can't hurt to hold back a bottle for a bit longer just to see what your experience might be). Just my opinion on those.

I cannot comment on BCBS, but I do have to ask whether there is any benefit to cellaring BCBCS. Coffee is always the first thing to drop off in beer, and I don't know why one would want to lose that characteristic (kind of my beef regarding KBS, too.)

Old ales, like Barleywines, tend to do well with extended cellaring. That said, I've never held on to Old Stock Ale for that long. But I wouldn't be surprised if this one ages better than everything else listed. I'd personally put it at the bottom of the list. Ditto, perhaps, for the Bigfoots.

So, OP, you're left with two things: Beers that you really need to consume/trade because they may be past their prime. Work on those because you have to. But I also see a second group of beers that may be coming into their prime now, and which you may want to consider consuming because they're at their best. That Rasputin XIV is one of them. I just don't see this Rapsutin getting much better with time.

Again, all my opinion. Best of luck.

25. elektrikjester

elektrikjester Initiate (0) Nov 15, 2008 Georgia
    Beer Trader

One other thing. I do have a fond memory of Stone Vertical Epic 09.09.09. It tasted like a chocolate orange and was easily my favorite of the series. (I tried all of them from 06 onward.) The only comparable beer that comes to mind is Westbrook Orange Bliss, but the Stone is obviously not a stout and had far more finesse.

My experience is that the Vertical Epics were already fine fresh and not bound to improve as much as Stone claimed. Sure, they were cellarable, but I have trouble believing that some of the older ones were going to improve over the entire decade-long run, if consumed as intended. But I am curious about that 09, so let us know about that one if you give it a try.

26. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Disciple (339) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Night stalker, if it was anything like the 2012 bottles, it'll be a drain pour, have had a pair of 2012 night stalkers in the last 6 months and they were both drain pours...

27. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (3,181) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

BCBCS and BCBCS aren't going to get any better with age. Backwoods also seems to lose its zip after a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.