Wheres all the young BAs at?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mindfuldave, Mar 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. codynevels

codynevels Initiate (0) Dec 6, 2010 California

I'm 23, my first beer was a Corona and my second beer, and first craft beer was SNPA, but I didn't seriously get into craft until a bit later. Will be coming up on 900 beers soon. Unfortunately I'm still too poor to chase down any real whales myself.

2. yamar68

yamar68 Meyvn (1,320) Apr 1, 2011 Minnesota

21 with my 22nd coming up on the 24th.

3. bifrost17

bifrost17 Initiate (0) Dec 16, 2011 Washington

Need a boyfriend...? haha

davey101 likes this.
  4. yamar68

^Kind of serious

ShogoKawada and MarkIntihar like this.
  5. bifrost17

Haha well like I said, I'm 21, and trying to take girls out on dates to beer bars doesn't usually work, most girls my age hate beer....damn

6. BdubleEdubleRUN

BdubleEdubleRUN Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 California

25 here. Started experimenting before I was 21 with different macros, eventually found good beers not long after turning 21.

7. yamar68

Haha I know, I'm right there with you man. I'm 21 and so is my girlfriend... she can't stand the stuff but she still tries every beer I do, bless her heart.

bifrost17 likes this.
  8. Nicked

Nicked Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Maryland

I'm 25 and have been exploring the world of beer since I turned 21. I don't know how many individual brews I've had, but it's become a passion. I spent 30 minutes in a Wegman's today just reading labels, doing research on BA, and reminiscing about brews of yore. I decided on a six of Racer 5 and two Firestone bombers - Union Jack IPA and Double Jack.

9. bifrost17

Have you had double jack? It's one of my favorite DIPAs

10. DelicateDelirium

DelicateDelirium Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2012 Massachusetts

I just turned 22 and I'm in the same boat as this guy, my gf hates it but still tries everything I buy and is my helper in my new adventures of homebrewing :grinning: . I was introduced to La Fin Du Monde and chimay blue shortly before I turned 21 and I've been hooked since.

yamar68 likes this.
  11. LBIsurf

LBIsurf Initiate (0) Mar 17, 2009 New Jersey

I just turned 22 a month ago, but I've been in love with craft beer since I was 18. And since being legally able to buy it, I've only gotten more into it.

12. Orchids

Orchids Initiate (81) Feb 7, 2010 Illinois

Haha, no, how do you think I got into beer?

13. bifrost17

Damn, aleady spoken for??

14. DBCOACHEMUP

DBCOACHEMUP Initiate (99) Dec 16, 2011 Illinois

I'm 25. Started on my 21st Birthday, Palmer's in downtown La Grange, and drank around the World. Stayed within stouts for years, have been in IPAs and BW for a solid year (and several other styles), getting into sours now.

Curious what the usual style progression is for people on the Craft beer "timeline"?

15. drperry11

drperry11 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 South Carolina

1. wits/browns
    2. winter warmers/oktoberfest stuff
    3. porters/stouts
    4. ipas
    for some reason my hop taste was acquired somewhat late my favorite style is probably stout now

16. yamar68

I'm rooting for you two!

VonZipper likes this.
  17. drperry11

drperry11 Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2012 South Carolina

what was all that one in a million talk?

yamar68 and Bluecane like this.
  18. Bluecane

Bluecane Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2011 New York

Considering her first post in this thread (see: defiant feminist [under]tone), something tells me she doesn't like the phrase "spoken for." :grinning:

19. Bluecane

Okay, kill him!!

20. Bluecane

I'm going to root for you two, too, tu-tu.

21. Orchids

I think im more offended by you implying a feminist than being "spoken for" :slight_smile:

22. Bluecane

hahaha. Just how I read this post:
    Seemed to have a "Deal With It" meme vibe, like "Yeah, women can drink beer; deal with it, males with anachronistic viewpoints!"

But feel free to tell me I was totally wrong. I'm married, after all, so I'm rather used to it.

23. cpinto6

cpinto6 Initiate (0) Feb 25, 2010 Georgia

I'm 22 and hated beer until a friend introduced me to craft at 19. I've tried a shit ton of beers since then. Also been drinking liquor since I was 13...I lived in Mexico:slight_smile:

24. Orchids

You're totally wrong, I was just bragging :slight_smile:

Bluecane likes this.
  25. gkunkle

gkunkle Initiate (0) Jan 31, 2010 Oregon

I'm 22 and my first beer was Hofbrau Dunkel in Munich when I was 19. Pretty decent for a first beer, still one of my favorite styles of beer.

26. vkv822

vkv822 Initiate (0) Nov 30, 2009 Oregon

23, and started getting interested in craft beer at around 18-19 when I decided I wanted to actually enjoy what I was drinking and not just drink to get drunk. Got pretty seriously into it right round turning 21.

For my 21st birthday I went on a beer run that consisted of Abyss, Bigfoot, Old Rasputin and a few others.

27. Bellabananas

Bellabananas Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2010 Illinois

24 and I've been drinking craft for about four years. Started with 312 (I know I know) but I was underage and willing to drink anything that wasn't hard liquor or tasted like piss. Come to think about it, that's still my mantra.

28. Chadbrochill

Chadbrochill Initiate (0) Mar 21, 2012

if it makes you older ba's feel any better, our generation is for the first time has a projected life expectancy less than our parents.

yamar68 likes this.
  29. bulletrain76

bulletrain76 Defender (622) Nov 6, 2007 California

I joined BA when I was 20. I'm 25 now and work for a brewery. I feel old.

30. DovaliHops

DovaliHops Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2009 California

I'm 25 and been into craft for about...I'm not sure. I want to say three years. All I know is my first "beer nerd cherry popping" was the last PtY release where they let you buy growlers. I bought 4 growlers and got my gf introduced to beer lines that year. Two Beatification releases later, she's a pro now.

31. RyanBeer13

RyanBeer13 Initiate (0) Jan 24, 2011 Virginia

27 - and a beer ticking addict

32. rastapenguin22

rastapenguin22 Initiate (132) Mar 8, 2010 Pennsylvania

22 here and like many others I'm graduating soon. I got into craft shortly after starting to drink at all (17 or 18). I've had probably had around 400 unique brews, mainly since turning 21. Like the OP posted, I've definitely been helped by great people on here to try different brews too.

33. OldThreeHundred

OldThreeHundred Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2011 Texas

Turning 21 in two weeks, Ive been drinking craft beer and homebrewing for 1 year now.

34. litheum94

litheum94 Champion (814) Dec 29, 2008 California

30. I'm heading toward cranky old beer man age apparently.

35. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,671) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

I'm Doppeleinundzwanzig -- doesn't that make me twice as good? :slight_smile:

36. NiceTaps

NiceTaps Meyvn (1,159) Nov 21, 2011 New Jersey
    Trader

For the record, an old BA would've asked: "Where are all the young BAs?" We may be old but we remember our English grammer classes. Is that still taught these days?

Auslander likes this.
  37. callmeishmALE

callmeishmALE Initiate (0) Dec 30, 2010 Colorado

I don't know about grammer, I'm pretty sure grammar is still taught though. :slight_smile:

NiceTaps and MarkIntihar like this.
  38. yamar68

"Grammer" classes? Maybe we got shorted on the grammar classes but at least we had our spelling classes. :slight_smile:

NiceTaps and MarkIntihar like this.
  39. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,671) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Won outta too ain't bad. :grinning:

NiceTaps likes this.
  40. Steeeve

Steeeve Initiate (0) Nov 16, 2010 Pennsylvania

I'll be 24 this summer, and have been drinking craft for about 2 years now. I have 312 ratings on Ratebeer but have probably tasted double that amount.

I dont think young people are any more or less likely to drink craft than older folks. Go to a beer festival and you'll see dozens of twenty-somethings. Conversely, go to the parking lot of any sporting event and you'll see 45 year old men drinking Bud Light cans like water. If anything, I think the craft beer explosion is fueled by the younger generation, who are more social media-savvy and didnt grow up with Budweiser as "the American beer".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.