Where's the Bell's Hopslam 2019 love?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Junior, Jan 9, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Don't assume that what you had is the same thing that everyone else had. It was pretty damn vibrant to me last year, and I sure won't pass up a sixer this year.

2. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Grand Pooh-Bah (3,181) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Pooh-Bah Society

Well it's an answer to me.

In post #10 I replied to the @MaddieMason comment of "Too boozy and sweet" with my comment of "More often than not that is my judgement as well".

There seems to be lots of fans of this beer as evidenced in this thread but more often than not this beer is "too boozy and sweet" for my palate.

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  3. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Michael, it will be a pass for me.

Let me know how you enjoy Hopslam 2019.

Cheers!

nc41 and TongoRad like this.
  4. TheGent

TheGent Grand Pooh-Bah (4,201) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I’m in for a couple six packs. This beer is well done and still unique enough across today’s broad spectrum of IPA’s that it’s worth buying.

craigo19, Mrstiffington and TongoRad like this.
  5. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Or two six-packs since that is how this beer is sold?

[​IMG]

6. TongoRad

TongoRad Grand Pooh-Bah (3,848) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

Will do.

And here's where I can see how the price plays a factor, if there's enough variation to be a deterrent. I'm hoping that it'll be less than $20, also, but we'll see soon enough.

7. nc41

nc41 Initiate (0) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

It’s always been a big beer, but there was a time when it was bright with tropical fruits that were a revelation then. It most certinly is not that right now, it’s a dark brooding beer that just tastes off. Obviously I don’t like DFH 90 either.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  8. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

Please report on that as well. In PA those beers have consistently been 20 bucks a 6-pack and I personally would not be shocked if they cost even more in 2019.

Cheers!

Reef likes this.
  9. JackHorzempa

Pooh-Bah Society

And I am right there with you.

DFH 90 Minutes is not my 'cup of tea' flavor-wise and in addition I am not a fan of the DFH pricing structure either.

Cheers!

nc41 likes this.
  10. TheGent

TheGent Grand Pooh-Bah (4,201) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I edited my post pretty quickly after I realized my mistake. You must have a quick trigger finger. :wink:

Am I that conditioned to assuming and expecting 4 packs?

Apparently I am!

AlcahueteJ, Mrstiffington and Junior like this.
  11. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I love Hopslam and look forward to it every year. I think it's tasty and unique (as I stated in a thread last year). But, to give you a fair shot, when I head to my Arkansas bottle shop I'll grab a (completely different style) beer from every brewery you mentioned at the same time and compare them to Hopslam. Oh, wait...

surfcaster and bigstar87 like this.
  12. TurkeysDrinkBeer

TurkeysDrinkBeer Pundit (880) Sep 8, 2018 Virginia
    Society Trader

Good beer can be found in the grocery store but great beer can't be found imo. Also why would I buy beer from the grocery store when I have fresher, more quality options at the breweries that populate my area? I agree that price doesn't necessarily equal quality but the lesser costing beers that are high in quality are very much in the minority. Usually need to spend a few bucks more to get something where more than a couple handfuls of hops were used, this goes double for stouts that are BA or have adjuncts you can actually taste.

13. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Society Trader

You live in Arkansas, I'm sure you do love Hopslam. As far as your bottle shop is concerned you won't find anything from any of the breweries I listed, they don't distribute. Also I am fully aware that Hopslam and NEIPA are different styles, you obviously didn't read the entire thread before commenting. My comment that you quoted was a response to another user saying that Hopslam was better than any NEIPA and that no NEIPA was even in the same league as it. His words, "same league", as in an implication of quality not style. Reading the entire exchange or conversation is helpful in these situations, just sayin...

NodEast and jvgoor3786 like this.
  14. JodiB

JodiB Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2018 Michigan

I picked up my Hopslam at Kroger last night. It's on sale for $15.99, so I bought two. I enjoy it each January.

So then we decide to head over to BWW for some wings. They have Hopslam on tap! I think - Woo! and we each order a pint. Enjoyed it with our wings, for sure.

Then we get the bill. $7.50 per pint - I was a bit shocked. It's an enjoyable seasonal treat, but not for $7.50 a pint. I regret not just waiting to get home a drink a can. Seems a bit ridiculous. Anyone else see this type of thing?

craigo19 likes this.
  15. gcasher

gcasher Pundit (995) Dec 20, 2008 Pennsylvania

Thank you all you fickle haters. This means there will be plenty left at the stores to pick up and I don't have to worry about it selling out. I love me some Hopslam every year.

alucard6679, raynmoon, Junior and 4 others like this.
  16. TurkeysDrinkBeer

Society Trader

You sir are very welcome, now get off my lawn!!! :wink: Enjoy those Hopslam, Cheers!

Mortarforker likes this.
  17. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Grand Pooh-Bah (4,186) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Pooh-Bah Society Trader

I read the whole thing. Still wanted to comment anyway. Plus, what does living in Arkansas have to do with loving Hopslam? I lived in Grand Rapids for 30 years and in Arizona and in DC/Virginia. Loved Hopslam while in all of them. (I'm a government worker, like you, although I don't have time to read BA on the job. Just sayin....)

ovaltine, alucard6679, Junior and 3 others like this.
  18. drtth

drtth Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania
    In Memoriam

Knowing that one has biases and what they are is more than half the battle in dealing with them and their negative effects. :slight_smile:

Personally, having lived in PA during the "by the case only" years I'd suggest that finding a log of beer reviews from someone whose tastes are/were similar to mine more than once saved me 30-60 bucks or enabled me to purchase a $30-60 case of beer knowing that I could expect to enjoy it. :sunglasses:

NodEast, John_M, meefmoff and 3 others like this.
  19. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Pooh-Bah (2,611) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Society

One year I had a hot, boozey, low hop aroma hopslam at my local multitap. This place has clean lines, and the Hopslam was just recently released and tapped. Some time later I had one at another location that was not hot, and exploding with hop aroma. They only thing I can think of is batch variation.

AlcahueteJ and TongoRad like this.
  20. Junior

Junior Pooh-Bah (1,859) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Pooh-Bah Trader

In my experience this method proved to be a recipe for drinking a fair amount of bad beer and wasting money.

algebeeric_topology likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.