Whey Protein Beer

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Rysk22, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rysk22

Rysk22 Initiate (183) Nov 12, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Found this interesting and figured I'd see what the community thought. I just saw a job opening for this company and it turns out they'll be releasing their first beer this spring. Mighty Squirrel, a beer brewed with whey protein. Another gimmick or something that will take off with the nutritional folk?

https://www.beersyndicate.com/beer/beer-details.asp?beerid=13291

Greywulfken likes this.
  2. CurtFromHershey

CurtFromHershey Disciple (384) Oct 4, 2012 Minnesota

Doesn't alcohol inhibit protein synthesis or something like that? I remember a few years back reading about a vodka with added protein, and the consensus was that the protein did nothing other than enable them to advertise that there's protein in it (which is probably more important to the brewer than the perceived health benefit)

pinyin likes this.
  3. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (453) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Trader

Drinking alcohol increases "free testosterone"in your blood, which means less to repair and build muscle. Which is why you are much more sore if you drink after exercising. So this product is pretty pointless

4. jera1350

jera1350 Poo-Bah (2,191) Dec 15, 2007 Minnesota

All the bros will be pounding these at the clubs...

and wondering why they have explosive diarrhea after.

5. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Devotee (496) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Launched this weekend. All marketing, contract brewed at Trapp, saw it at Marty's and all over Instagram. There's even a light version. If beer factors into your daily protein intake, you're doing it wrong.

chcfan, bostonwolf and KhakCane like this.
  6. eatabagofbooger

eatabagofbooger Initiate (0) Mar 27, 2009 Oregon

Yep, as someone who gets pretty geeky about fitness and nutrition (and who consumes far more protein shakes than beers), I gotta agree with all the posts above and say that this is just a silly gimmick.

7. lester619

lester619 Zealot (534) Apr 17, 2009 Wisconsin

Anyone dumb enough to buy into this deserves instant massive diarrhea. This is just pure stupid.

DaverCS, KhakCane and Scrapss like this.
  8. pinyin

pinyin Disciple (359) Sep 19, 2013 New York

Yes, indeed it does. As somebody who both trains hard and drinks protein, as well as being an occasional drinker, If I train and drink on the same day, it's a huge waste of time and I gain nothing. I actually lose weight and muscle mass until my liver clears all the alcohol.

I would never even consider any type of alcoholic product that contains protein. Waste of time and money.

9. darhobo123

darhobo123 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2009 Virginia

Agree with the above statements, although i've never noticed alcohol (massive amounts of beer) affecting my training or muscle mass.

I'd give it a try if offered, but wouldn't buy it for the incentive of a protein source, that's what meat is for.

#9 darhobo123, Jun 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  10. Jirin

Jirin Aspirant (220) Apr 28, 2013 Massachusetts

I can't imagine this tasting good.

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  11. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (4,277) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Premium Trader

Gimmick.

And not an idea I think is going to take off.

12. Exeter

Exeter Disciple (317) Apr 3, 2010 Alberta (Canada)

How please please please, give me something that'll catch on!

13. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,632) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Major beer farts.

14. TheBrewViking

TheBrewViking Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2010 Alaska

Throw a bunch a hops in there so I can improve my man boobs too.

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  15. marquis

marquis Crusader (760) Nov 20, 2005 United Kingdom (England)

16. Stout_Sabre

Stout_Sabre Initiate (158) Jan 17, 2015 New York

i workout and take a lot of whey, but also keep the beer in check because of that. wait until we get beer with creatine and chia seed :grimacing:

TonyLema1 likes this.
  17. parris

parris Zealot (545) Jan 18, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Their site, for all interested: http://www.mightysquirrel.com/

I actually work in the same building as their corporate office in Boston and have had their beer (or prototypes at least), it's not too bad. That said, the website has a couple gems like photos of them brewing prototypes using a Mr. Beer, and quotes like "Mighty Squirrel’s water source is an artesian well near the brewery in Stowe, Vermont"

18. lambpasty

lambpasty Devotee (417) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

Yeah, the whole part where your liver says "hey look, alcohol/poison; I'd better stop basically everything until this is filtered out" means that combining protein and beer is going to be 100% useless.

Imagine a legion of frat bros playing beer pong with creatine beer, screaming about gainz. I suppose it would stave off dehydration though :grinning:

Stout_Sabre and Stagga_Lee like this.
  19. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (545) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Even saying it's an artesian well is a gimmick because artesian water is not necessarily any cleaner; it just means it's under pressure.
    [​IMG]

jmw likes this.
  20. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,686) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

Beer with creatine...great idea from on Sabres fan to another:wink:

Stout_Sabre likes this.
  21. Stout_Sabre

Stout_Sabre Initiate (158) Jan 17, 2015 New York

great minds think alike, especially beer drinking Sabres fans

TonyLema1 likes this.
  22. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,276) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

If it tastes good, it will be served at the end of all those 13.1/26.2/10k /5k etc races at the end to replace the usual beer garden craft suspects.

23. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (536) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

More like "Why Protein" amirite? Dumb idea that will fail.

24. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (536) Oct 29, 2008 California
    Trader

It's actually an artisan artesian well, so it has to be good.

Ranbot likes this.
  25. Brian_Burke

Brian_Burke Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2014 Massachusetts

Ha, I also like the line from their "story" that says "we had no idea how to make beer...", before moving on to said Mr. Beer kit... They are product managers who came up with a marketing concept and then had someone else brew a beer they can slap their graphics on. Too many talented brewers out there to buy into this stuff..

26. YodersBeerEmporium

YodersBeerEmporium Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2014 Iowa

I think this is a stupid gimmick and will fall flat on its face....Ive been a trainer for over 15 years and I just dont see any benefit to this, no self respecting athlete is going to assume they can get extra bio available protein that can actually get absorbed and used from a product like this....

Brian_Burke likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.