Which Beer List Do You Take More Seriously?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Josbor11, Feb 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Josbor11

Josbor11 Devotee (442) Dec 21, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

In regards to the Top 250 and the Beers of Fame. Personally, I don't think that pursuing only beers on the list only because they are on it is a good way to go about things because there are so many great local crafts that are under appreciated and you should always support local business but I think its also fun to go hunting every so often from the ones that are high up.

I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks is a more reliable / legitimate list. I feel as though there are pros and cons to each one. For example, I think to be high up on the Top 250 shows that you are one of the best beers there is, period. On the other hand, being on the top of the Beers of Fame list just shows you are one of the best that meets X criteria.

Some of the beers on the Top 250 I don't even want to take into consideration sometimes because they have 150-300 ratings total and there are so many that are just unpractical for 99% of us to ever even try. Some examples (to me at least) would be Pliny the Younger which I feel is just a more boozed up version of PtE and you will probably never see or taste it and if you do its going to be a very small quantity. Also, all the crazy variants of certain beers like the many types of Dark Lord, etc.

I think sometimes it is kind of cool to say, "Hey, this beer I'm drinking is actually the X-th best beer in the world," but according to which list?

KVNBGRY likes this.
  2. rozzom

rozzom Savant (998) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

To me the lists are for the most part, just a bit of fun. Lots of great beers on both. But for my tastes, there are lots of so-so beers on both as well, and plenty of awesome beers that don't come close to making either.

Purely answering the question in your last sentence:

I'd go with top 250

ONovoMexicano and Boca-X like this.
  3. Rekrule

Rekrule Defender (604) Nov 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I take the beers of fame list more seriously. More reviews, proven staying power. It's also a list most people can work their way down and find a fair amount of the beers on it without much effort. It's represents more of how I approach craft beer.

4. nicks6217

nicks6217 Initiate (0) Jan 15, 2010 California

Fame list for sure, the top 250 seems to be a hype machine.

HRamz3, ONovoMexicano and Rekrule like this.
  5. Flibber

Flibber Initiate (0) Jul 27, 2013 England

I guess Beers of Fame is bit more sensible, but they're both so US-centric and dominated by certain styles that I don't really look at them.

tmrmwel likes this.
  6. fredmugs

fredmugs Meyvn (1,484) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I love it when someone.....

Asks a specific question
    Launches into something unrelated and irrelevant (support local breweries)
    States they like Option A (Top 250) and immediately
    Argues against Option A (unpractical to obtain)

Both options have criteria. I don't pay much attention to the Top 250 because it has too many variants of regular beers. I prefer the Beers of Fame because of the depth and longevitiy required to get there.

drtth and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  7. Josbor11

Trader

I was just stating that you should not aim entirely for list beers, but that on occasion it is fun to hunt for some of them (just not exclusively). I also then stated there are pros and cons for each which is why I said I like some aspects of option A and dislike some aspects of option A as you put it.

I do tend to go off the Beers of Fame more often than not though mostly because like I said some of the beers on the Top 250 seem silly to count. For example if I were drinking a Zombie Dust I would mentally bump it up a spot if I were going off the 250 because I don't count PtY.

The only beef I have with the Beers of Fame is the requirement of two years. I don't think there should be a time requirement if it already requires such a high amount of ratings.

8. GreesyFizeek

GreesyFizeek Poo-Bah (8,511) Mar 6, 2013 New York
    Society Trader

I like the requirement of two years. If a beer can continue to pull high ratings, even two years or more after it was released, it shows the high ratings weren't all just the hype around a big new beer being released. It shows the high ratings are because it actually tastes pretty nice.

Davebeer50, tylerstravis and LeRose like this.
  9. Josbor11

Trader

Good point, I see where you're coming from on that.

10. Pahn

Pahn Meyvn (1,473) Dec 2, 2009 New York

haha, neither. agree with 1st reply that those lists are just some fun / curiosities. i'm glad the bros maintain them, but it's nothing more serious than that.

BrettHead and pitweasel like this.
  11. PsilohsaiBiN

PsilohsaiBiN Defender (625) Aug 10, 2010 New York

12. KVNBGRY

KVNBGRY Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2012 Florida

I feel that the top 250 would be fun to look at after a complete overhaul..Meaning, in 2011 there were less than 2,000 craft breweries, as of today there are somewhere around 2500+/- craft breweries. I would like to see if the big hitters would stay on top. (I'm sure, based on the ones I've had, would). However, Brewers are getting better, and competition is becoming more fierce. It would be interesting to see everything back to zeros and wiped of hype, just for fun. Maybe I'm just a weirdo, or maybe I'm half drunk. Regardless, I like beer. Cheers!

tylerstravis, Josbor11 and Boca-X like this.
  13. Boca-X

Boca-X Zealot (529) Jan 21, 2014 Missouri

It's not really a hype list but a starting point/learning curve? The beer I take most seriously is the beer I have in my hand at any given moment...but I always enjoy the point of reference...even if it is 250 strong.

14. Josbor11

Trader

I llike to use the list for comparisons too. If I really like something and its rocking a 4.50 for its style and there's another beer that's the same style and similar rAVG it compells me to try it.

tylerstravis likes this.
  15. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Trader

Why is Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout on the Beers of Fame list? It's not a shit beer but I can't imagine it making a list of fame in England, even if the list were twice as long.

16. Hoppsbabo

Hoppsbabo Champion (890) Jan 29, 2012 England
    Trader

To answer the OP, this is an American website for a largely American audience so it's natural that to British eyes the Top 250 list seems grotesquely obscured, and the same applies to the Beers of Fame, which is full of beers I've never heard of. However, if I'm ever lucky enough to step foot on American soil again I'll print these lists out and take them with me.

17. coldy

coldy Initiate (112) Sep 16, 2010 Delaware

I use lists as a way to simply find beers I have not yet tried. When it comes to the rankings, I dont take any of them seriously. Taste is subjectve, and I prefer to think for myself.

Johnny_Muir and Boca-X like this.
  18. Johnny_Muir

Johnny_Muir Initiate (0) Jan 8, 2014 New Jersey

Neither list. Both are too pretentious, in my opinion. Its a lot like Sonic Youth. Nobody really likes them, its just cool to say you do.

19. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I've checked off a bunch of the top 250 before I even knew about the list.

20. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Defender (651) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

I'll take door number three. I like the individual style lists. I try to find the beers that have the most reviews from a particular style. If I try out a bunch of highly reviewed beers, it generally means that I'll have better chance at discussing these beers with others. I like when there is overlap between all three lists, but it's not something that I really seek out.

21. BrettHead

BrettHead Zealot (504) Sep 18, 2010 Nebraska

Seriously? None of them.

22. pitweasel

pitweasel Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2007 New York

Really? Any "I'm looking to get into stouts" thread comes up, and that's a near-unanimous suggestion. Tastes great, readily available...and this isn't England.

In response to the original question: I've never actually looked at the Beers of Fame. Didn't know that existed. I get my recommendations from friends, family, and occasionally gambling on something with an interesting label (hey, it's paid off).

23. willbm3

willbm3 Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

I honestly have only looked at a list once on this site, and it was for a thread about how many of the top 10 you've had. Prior to that, I didn't even know what was "officially" in the top 10. I don't really care what anonymous internet commenters think about a certain beer and lists are irrelevant to me. I don't need to know if Heady Topper is "better" than Parabola...they're both awesome.

No. You may want to qualify that statement

BrettHead likes this.
  24. Josbor11

Trader

Well the thing is the "WR" scores are so close there really is no difference. The top 30 are separated by a mere .22 points. I figure if you are having anything that is on that list period, you should be happy because its probably a very good beer. When I drink beer and I rate it, anything I give a 4.0 or higher to is something I think to myself "this is greatness in a bottle and I can drink this all day." The last time I looked, the lowest score on that list is 4.20ish so you can't really go wrong with anything there unless you don't like specific styles.

I will say, I feel like there does seem to be a 'core' group of elite beers that everyone seems to unanimously agree is on top of the world or at least on top of everyones wishlist: (Heady, Pliny, KBS, BCBS & Variants, ZD). I think largely its because of the lists, so I do think they definitely play a role.

25. Hop-Droppen-Roll

Hop-Droppen-Roll Initiate (0) Nov 5, 2013 Minnesota

I've never honestly looked at the beers of fame list. Not sure how it differs.

26. Josbor11

Trader

It just weeds out a lot of beers that have hardly any reviews, haven't been around long, some of the draft only offerings, etc.

Hop-Droppen-Roll likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.