Which glass do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by BaalDagon, Aug 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaalDagon

BaalDagon Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2014 Tennessee

I have recently found the wonderful world of craft beer, specifically stouts and porters. I use a good ole fashioned pint glass, but I was wondering what everyone else preferred. Also, is there are glass that will help to enhance the flavors and aromas? Thanks for the input, CHEERS!!!!

2. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Poo-Bah (13,753) Mar 18, 2010 California
    Society

3. dmnielsen

dmnielsen Initiate (0) Jul 1, 2011 Michigan

I have a few glasses I use most often: an Old Style sham pilsner, a Founders tulip, and a Silly Saison nonic 25cl glass.

There is a lot of info about glassware on BA. Much of the info will try to convince you to use something other than a shaker pint glass.
    Welcome to craft beer! Enjoy!

BaalDagon likes this.
  4. cwehr13

cwehr13 Aspirant (256) Aug 4, 2011 Illinois

I will use a snifter for everything.

BaalDagon, KendallKid and blue-dream like this.
  5. TxUltraRunner

TxUltraRunner Aspirant (277) Aug 16, 2012 Texas
    Trader

A good tulip and a snifter.

BaalDagon and CowsandBeer like this.
  6. CowsandBeer

CowsandBeer Devotee (402) Sep 24, 2012 Nebraska
    Trader

I like those big Omer tulip style glasses for saisons, ipas, sours etc. It's like a mix of a cervoise glasse and a tulip, really captures the nose, great for head retention, and you can really check out the body. Most breweries make them, as I've also had a Goose Island, Tallgrass, and Boulevard one. Mini snifters for big ales and stouts.

EDIT: what that the dude above said ^

BaalDagon likes this.
  7. APBT91

APBT91 Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 North Carolina

Snifter and Nonic imperial pint.

BaalDagon likes this.
  8. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Been enjoying from a tulip lately, and a snifer is always good to have on hand, but I'm never afraid to throw something into a good old, well-designed red wine glass. Stem is thick enough to feel solid in the hand, curvature of the glass captures aroma well enough. Easy as hell to find, and just as cheap.

[​IMG]

BaalDagon likes this.
  9. BrahptimusPrime

BrahptimusPrime Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Connecticut

All kinds of great stemless ones out there too. Someone always ends up knocking over stemmed glassed at my house.

[​IMG]

BaalDagon and breadwinner like this.
  10. breadwinner

breadwinner Meyvn (1,217) Mar 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Good call for sure -- no kids yet in this house, so less fear of knocking 'em over, though Lord knows I've come close to doing it myself a few times.

I always wondered with the stemless whether they warmed up quicker, due to hand warmth. Kinda like to let the beer warm slowly to room temp. Thoughts?

11. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (7,509) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

Snifters for large high gravity beers (Barleywines, Stouts, Strong/Old Ales)
    Tulips for Belgians
    Spiegelau for IPAs
    Pilsner style for most lagers

in general, with some additional selections :slight_smile:

12. BrahptimusPrime

BrahptimusPrime Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Connecticut

Oh no...no no no... there's no kids in my house and planning to keep it that way.haha. Just a crazy Australian Shepherd and guests that insist on spilling something on my belongings. haha

Well, I'd say I agree with you that without the stem you may warm the glass up a little quicker, I typically don't hold it though unless I'm drinking. Usually goes from sip to coaster and back, but that's just me. No problems yet if and when I use them. I'm personally usually drinking out of a snifter though.

breadwinner likes this.
  13. BaalDagon

BaalDagon Initiate (0) Jul 17, 2014 Tennessee

I can't thank everyone enough, very insightful information! The cool thing is that my wife is retuning from Belgium and I told her to bring me back "thee glass!" From what I understand... ALL BEER over there is served in snifters and I am hoping she was paying attention while knocking back her Duvels!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.