Which IPA batch to dry hop

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by decafdave, Nov 7, 2018.

1. decafdave

decafdave Initiate (59) May 29, 2013 Virginia

Hey,
    I have my first 2 batches undergoing fermentation, and upon reading how easy it is to dry hop (more specifically, that I don't need secondary fermentation), I may go for it.

IPA 1:
    -2 gallon batch
    -2.5 ounces of Amarillo & Galaxy hops
    - golden light LME

IPA 2:
    -2.5 gallon batch
    -3 ounces of Cascade and Centennial
    -Munich LME

Obviously, with IPA2, I'm going for a heavily malted backbone, but with hops that should cut through. I'm guessing I shouldn't dry hop this, but would there be any downsides to doing so?

For IPA1, I assume DH with Galaxy should go over well, but I welcome your thoughts. It probably has a lot of hops considering the small batch size.

Thanks!

2. Yalc

Yalc Initiate (114) Nov 5, 2011 Florida

I sometimes make 2.5 gallon batches with LME to test out hops. I say go ahead and put an oz of Amarillo in IPA 1. I usually just pitch pellets into primary and give it 4-5 days then I cold crash for a few days, add about a 1/4 - 1/2 tsp of gelatin dissolved in boiled water and throw it in. Wait another 2 days then keg or bottle. Go for it.

3. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude Disciple (366) May 2, 2006 Utah

I'd dry hop IPA1 with 1 to 2 oz of Galaxy and IPA2 with 1 to 2 oz of Centennial. IMHO, you can't really have an IPA without dry hopping. Cheers!

GormBrewhouse, Yalc and Maestro0708 like this.
  4. decafdave

Cheers! I'll head to the beer shop tomorrow for more hops. I just tasted IPA 1, along with taking a hydrometer reading. It's so hoppy!

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  5. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Disciple (386) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

+1 to @utahbeerdude put the centenial right to it. it will be tasty!!!!!

6. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

Also agree with@Utahbeerdude. If you are setting out to brew an American IPA, dry hops are pretty much expected. I'm not saying you can't make a lovely beer without them, and someone out there probably has a favorite example to prove me wrong, rules and exceptions, you know?. Perhaps if you want to maximize the contrast in beers that you have available, don't dry hop the beer with the Munich in it and pass it off as an American pale amber. Could be helpful if you are sharing beers and some of the recipients are not into hops. However, everyone loves galaxy, so I doubt a dry hopped beer #1 would offend anyone.

7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Aspirant (246) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Dry hop both.

StupidlyBrave likes this.
  8. honkey

honkey Zealot (542) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Premium Industry

Personally, I wouldn't brew an IPA without dry hopping and expect for it to be recognizable as an IPA, even for an English Style IPA.

9. decafdave

Thanks again, all. I picked up 2 oz of Galaxy (they didn't have smaller sizes for Galaxy) and 1 oz of Centennial. I feel like I should go ahead and use 2 oz in IPA 1, even though it's a small batch size. Everyone does love Galaxy, but please let me know if I'm off base here.

10. frozyn

frozyn Zealot (570) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Trader

2 ounces of dry hop in 2.5 gallons is not excessive. I brew 2.5 gallon batches and put 4.5 ounces in my last 4.6% pale ale and felt like it could have used more, but I like a lot of hops.

11. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,748) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium

If you are referring to my post where I specified that American IPA is pretty much expected to be dry hopped, I confess I was thinking there was an English IPA that I liked that did not have dry hops listed in the recipe in Mitch Steele's book. I was thinking it was Bengal Lancer but now that I have had a look, it seems it is Worthington White Shield. Google has led me to this quote from Wikipedia: "Not as hoppy as a modern IPA, it is today sometimes classed as a "premium bitter." I don't get to drink English IPA very often so am admittedly out of touch with how it is being brewed. I only had White Shield one time, from a bottle that probably travelled a thousand miles and sat on shelf for 11 months, so I imagine I was influenced by nostalgia as much as anything real.