1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Which US beer regions do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by 19etz55, Apr 13, 2019 at 5:44 PM.

?

Which US beer regions do you prefer?

This poll will close on Dec 13, 2019 at 4:44 PM.
  1. Great Lakes

22.3%
  2. Mid-Atlantic

17.6%
  3. Midwest

16.2%
  4. Mountain

4.1%
  5. New England

34.5%
  6. Northwest

11.5%
  7. Pacific

20.3%
  8. South

2.0%
  9. South-Atlantic

4.1%
  10. Southwest

2.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 19etz55

19etz55 Aspirant (298) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

BA lists 10 beer regions in the US. What beer region are you in and which ones do you prefer? I'm in the Mid-Atlantic.

beergorrilla likes this.
  2. zid

zid Savant (978) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I have no desire to be anywhere else in the US regarding beer.

3. dennis3951

dennis3951 Champion (876) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I live in Mid-Atlantic . Voted Mid-Atlantic & Pacific. In truth I think fine beer is brewed in all 10 regions and have no preference.

Stormfield, Ahonky, meefmoff and 10 others like this.
  4. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,563) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Yeah, I don't think it matters anymore, and I couldn't be happier with what I can get here.

5. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,344) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I'm in the Great Lakes and have traveled and drank beer in all of the regions. We have a lot going for us here in Michigan, so that's my favorite. I've been to Portland and Bend, OR a couple of times, and both cities have great beer cultures, so the Northwest is my second choice. My third would be a tie with the Midwest and New England.

6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,083) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

Voted Great Lakes and Midwest, but anywhere else is fine with me as well.

7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,901) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I hate to sound negative here but the South region has quite a way to go. I visited New Orleans last year (and the year before) and I suppose there are some signs of progress there but frankly they are decades behind other areas.

Cheers!

8. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,051) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

I voted Northwest due to the sheer number of breweries in the Washington/Oregon area... plus I love Fremont... I live in the South region and while we have made strides, we are still smack dab in the middle of the Bible Belt and...well... there's that...

9. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (278) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia

Great Lakes for sure

I honestly could drink just Ohio and Michigan beers for the rest of my life and be content

FBarber, GOBLIN, Milktoast75 and 3 others like this.
  10. ssimpson89

ssimpson89 Defender (608) Jul 24, 2009 Illinois

Voted Great Lakes. Chicago is a great beer city, with both Wisconsin and Michigan within a short drive. I don’t think there’s a bad region. There’s great beer culture everywhere, you just have to look a little harder in the South and Southwest. It makes it all the more rewarding when you find a cool spot or new brewery.

11. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Midwest, because I'm there and pretty much have full access to everything in the region. That said, I don't think I'd want to go without Michigan, Illinois, Colorado, Missouri, and Oklahoma.

19etz55, beergorrilla and SFACRKnight like this.
  12. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,025) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

I selected Northeast, but seriously, I like many brewing regions, all for different reasons.

19etz55 and beergorrilla like this.
  13. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,398) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I don't understand the purpose of the poll. Are you looking for where people live now, or are you looking for where people would like to live?

Combining the two into one poll seems to me to result in no information at all.

johnInLA and mikeinportc like this.
  14. thesherrybomber

thesherrybomber Initiate (174) Jun 13, 2017 California
    Society Trader

I haven't had enough from Northeast, Midwest, or South to say. Not surprised most people are voting their own regions, though

15. Quackershnoc

Quackershnoc Aspirant (210) Nov 7, 2012 Michigan

Great Lakes for sure!

GOBLIN, Milktoast75 and beergorrilla like this.
  16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,523) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

There was no choice for NYS Hudson Valley region so I didn't vote :grin:

17. MNAle

Society

Liked due to the rebellious nature! :grin:

mikeinportc and cavedave like this.
  18. Jaycase

Jaycase Meyvn (1,264) Jan 13, 2007 Illinois
    Trader

With the qualifier Great Lakes, it seems it's already been decided. :wink:

19. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,294) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I'm a homer. Sue me. If I had to pick a region outside of my home area it would be Pacific northwest. Fresh hop season alone blows most regions away, add in the holy mountain and fremont barrels and I'm good

20. beergorrilla

beergorrilla Meyvn (1,268) Feb 21, 2012 Michigan
    Trader

homer response but i go great lakes, there is so much variety of amazing beers being produced in michigan consistantly producing some heat in all categories of beer styles examples kbs, blacknote, bbpt5, witches hat night fury variants some stout heavyweights no matter where your from,m43 and variants, anything from homes is a top notch ipa, speciation sours and arclight produce mulitple world class sours, shorts who isnt afraid to make crazy ass shit u have never heard of,often creating new styles of beer or flavors all are tasty. also new glarus, jackie os, hoppin frog,no further questions your honor.

21. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (2,379) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Trader

I voted for New England as my easy choice and then had a coin toss between Pacific and Great Lakes. I went with Pacific, soley because beers from California brewers still seem to largely represent what I buy from stores, which is still the bulk of my beer drinking. Mid Atlantic brewers are improving as well.

19etz55 likes this.
  22. oldbean

oldbean Aspirant (298) Jun 30, 2005 Massachusetts

There are other regions?

GOBLIN and mikeinportc like this.
  23. DrumKid003

DrumKid003 Aspirant (223) Aug 10, 2013 Oklahoma

I voted Southwest and Midwest. Southwest because I live here and have access to plenty of stuff that suits my drinking needs, and the Midwest solely due to Missouri. I sure as hell won't vote for the NE since the terrible idea that is a NEIPA originated there.

I'm kind of surprised to see Oklahoma mentioned anywhere on this thread, especially by someone who doesn't live here.

24. 19etz55

19etz55 Aspirant (298) Aug 12, 2007 New Jersey

My intention was to pick a region or
    regions outside of the region you are in.
    As I did picking 2 regions outside of mine

25. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

I changed my mind. If the Philly area gets drops of Alchemist and Lawson’s I want to have access to cheesesteaks, Lee’s hoagies and pork roll sandwiches. So the Philly area, and access to those tremendous volume of Great Pils.

#25 nc41, Apr 14, 2019 at 4:02 PM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 4:13 PM
    Ranbot, JackHorzempa and 19etz55 like this.
  26. SFACRKnight

Trader

Did anyone read the OP? Asking for a friend...

Kuester likes this.
  27. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (1,658) Sep 15, 2014 New York

I picked New England for its IPAs and the Great Lakes region for Michigan's stouts.

28. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,318) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Specifically for Prairie's stouts. If I lived closer, I'd try to get into their Prairie Dawg club.

19etz55 likes this.
  29. MNAle

Society

Your OP can be read that you are asking for:
    1. What beer region are you in and
    2. Which do you prefer

Which is obviously how some have interpreted it.

mikeinportc and bbtkd like this.
  30. mikeinportc

mikeinportc Champion (873) Nov 4, 2015 New York
    Society

31. herrburgess

herrburgess Meyvn (1,087) Nov 4, 2009 South Carolina
    Industry

love seeing the regional pride here. and I honestly think it's true that almost all regions have options that fill most needs these days. add a little healthy rivalry between regions to the mix and you have not only the beginnings of the ever-elusive brand/local loyalty that has plagued "craft" beer for so long, but also even the beginnings of the foundation of a great national beer culture.

32. ZebulonXZogg

ZebulonXZogg Defender (694) May 5, 2015 Illinois
    Society

I voted midwest, I love BA stouts and and we have some local brewers who make some of the best IMHO. Plenty of local IPA's and DIPA's worth drinking. Because its local, its probably fresher too.

19etz55 likes this.
  33. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (1,955) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

This guy knows, he KNOWS!

Seriously if I can get Pac NW brews with my Sacramento weather/location I'm set. Guess that means I need to move to Bend...stop twisting my arm already

SFACRKnight, PapaGoose03 and 19etz55 like this.
  34. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,735) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Damn , I can’t believe I forgot to mention the Trenton Style Tomato pies. If you haven’t had a Delorenzo pizza from the Robbinsville location you haven’t lived. Another reason to live in the Philly area, these style of pies imo are the best in the world, Marucas at Seaside is killer too, as is the hot sausage/pepper and onion sandwiches on the boardwalk. Miss that stuff here, Crap for pizza, lousy hoagies etc. Their beer is far better than here too.

#34 nc41, Apr 14, 2019 at 7:55 PM
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 8:06 PM
    JackHorzempa and 19etz55 like this.
  35. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (467) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

Pacific is an easy win for me. The quality is just there among a wide variety of styles. San Diego, San Francisco... So many amazing breweries that I consider some of my absolute tops.

New England is good, too... Jack's Abby, Notch, (old) Trillium, etc... Good stuff. But overall, a bit more one-dimensional than say, Cali.

GOBLIN and 19etz55 like this.
  36. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (427) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

Great Lakes, Midwest.
    Barrel age, scotch ale, brats, cheese, stouts. Damn! It’s a wonder I’ve lived this long.:wink:
    Every region has its “best of”. We all like what we like.
    But it’s always fun and tastey to “travel” down the beer aisle thanks to national distribution.

19etz55 likes this.
  37. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (161) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Best answer here, lock the thread.

PapaGoose03, TongoRad and herrburgess like this.
  38. Bruinsfan87

Bruinsfan87 Disciple (310) Aug 25, 2014 New Hampshire
    Society Trader

I'm from New England and have enjoyed the beers I am able to acquire here. I also really enjoy beers from the different areas as well so...

19etz55 likes this.
  39. SFACRKnight

Trader

PNW beer is truth. Beautiful up there too. I have never thought of moving away from Colorado prior to my visit to Trumwater last year, now it's always in the back of my mind.

19etz55 and jakecattleco like this.
  40. mkh012

mkh012 Zealot (596) May 7, 2015 New Jersey

NJ, NY, and New England, but I also love plenty of beers from out west.

19etz55 likes this.