Which would you prefer in MD, Bell's or Founder's? [Poll]

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by gillagorilla, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I realize that Founder's is supposed to be in MD next year or sometime in the future, but if you could have either of these right now in MD, which would you pick? I ask this because both of them skip over MD in their East Coast/Mid-Atlantic distribution.

2. DrBier

DrBier Poo-Bah (1,547) Jun 12, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Subscriber

Being from PA, where we get both, the Founders selection has been much better of late than Bell's. Breakfast Stout has become a regular at many beer bars, KBS much easier to come by than Black Note, Double Trouble FAR easier than HopSlam, even Devil Dancer more avail than HS. Greater IPA selection from Founders, although Cent PA did get some Oracle this year. Also the selection of one offs i.e. Founders Looking Glass series, goes to Founders as we get no Bells one offs. Both breweries make outstanding beer throughout the year and we have been getting SUPER fresh beer from both breweries. I can't wait for either's MD release at Max's.

gillagorilla likes this.
  3. duceswild

duceswild Meyvn (1,283) Feb 8, 2010 Maryland
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Where is the poll? But my vote is founders.

mendvicdog and MattFoley like this.
  4. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2006 Maryland
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

Bells. Have you had Rubaeus or Mango Manifico? Gross.

ao125 likes this.
  5. imbrue001

imbrue001 Aspirant (213) Aug 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

Whichever one is going to hog the shelves with fewer overpriced 4-packs. I'm guessing Bells.

RichardMNixon, Dweedlebug and ao125 like this.
  6. mendvicdog

mendvicdog Initiate (0) Sep 1, 2006 Maryland
    ¡Bad Trader! Beer Trader

I am fairly certain that the winner of this poll will be in MD next year. The loser will go out of business. The reps from these companies are watching, so let's keep this serious.

AngusOg and duceswild like this.
  7. gillagorilla

gillagorilla Meyvn (1,250) Feb 27, 2013 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Wow. I messed up this thread twice.

8. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,528) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

I'm with you DrBier. I love me some HS and Oracle, but it's hard to turn my head from CBS, KBS, BS and some of the other barrel aged beers they do. Even Backwoods Bastard would be a nice thing to see on a regular basis.

9. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (7,495) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Beer Trader

As a consumer that has access to both in Missouri, my choice: Founders. Granted we don't get the whole smear like some do, but Other than Two Hearted & Expedition, I can't too excited about what Bells sells.. Ocassionally we actually get some of the rare-ish Founders stuff so that may make me biased.

10. magnumpoppy

magnumpoppy Initiate (191) Feb 26, 2011 Michigan

I am from MI and moved here to MD 10 months ago. Founders is one of my fav's for their seasonals but I miss having two hearted fresh anytime I want. The question above is like asking me to choose which child is my favorite. I am happy if either will come visit me in MD.

drtth likes this.
  11. DrBier

Subscriber

Not sure where you are in MD but growler's of fresh 2 Hearted aren't far away if ur in B'more.

12. magnumpoppy

magnumpoppy Initiate (191) Feb 26, 2011 Michigan

Tell me more. Where at?

13. ao125

ao125 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2010 Virginia

I'd take Founder's I think. I really like Backwoods Bastard, a lot. It's more of an everyday beer than Black Note.

14. skinsfan

skinsfan Zealot (583) May 24, 2005 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I would take Founders over Bells myself.

15. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,528) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

DrBier maybe better able to respond to the growler angle of his post, but he's completely right about two hearted being (relatively) avaiable close by. Both Cobblestones and the happy hound in York have two hearted on tap on a fairly regular basis, or you can find bottles to go at places like Vito's pizza and North York Bev. York is roughly a half hour drive up the road on I-83, so I guess that qualifies as close by.

Or you can drive in the opposite direction down to DC/NoVa. to find it there. The Big Hunt and Rustico usually have it as part of their regular line-up, or again, you can find 6 packs at most of your better beer stores (Chevy Chase, Whole Foods, etc.).

That being said, I don't know of any place in York that will fill a growler for you, and the same is true with beer bars in DC. However, DrBier is more conversant with the local beer scene than I am, so hopefully he has some ideas and suggestions. Good luck.

magnumpoppy likes this.
  16. imbibehour

imbibehour Poo-Bah (6,147) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Supporter Subscriber

Have choices in nearby DC and VA... but I would easily pick Founders

17. DrBier

Subscriber

In Southern York County, Cape Horn Beverage has a good selection of cases of Bells & Founders which are usually fresh. Also in SYC is Golden Crust Pizza in Red Lion, they sell growlers at very fair prices, you can get on their email list & they'll keep you updated as to what's on tap & avail in the bottle shop. In York, Holy Hound does fill growlers as does Mt. Rose Quick 6.

magnumpoppy likes this.
  18. GoatmanBrewsMD

GoatmanBrewsMD Aspirant (276) Dec 16, 2010 Maryland
    Beer Trader

I'd rather see founders here personally. I've been more impressed with their offerings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.