Whitewater IPA sediment unacceptable

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by Fabric8r, Jul 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fabric8r

Fabric8r Nov 25, 2002 Montana

Sam Adams, what is going on?! Whitewater IPA gooped out of the bottle, glass is filled with off white floaties. Poured it down the drain, another bottle has the same crap in it. Very embarassing when you brought a 6 pack to a summer party.

2. DaveLikesAle

DaveLikesAle Jan 24, 2006 Ohio

Same thing happened to me with a can of Jai Alai last week. Taste was a bit off, but I managed to drink it anyway. Just not as hoppy.

3. mikeburd1128

mikeburd1128 Oct 28, 2011 New Jersey

“Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” - Albert Einstein

Why on earth would you, after you already know there's some floaties, go ahead and pour the 2nd beer in the same fashion as the 1st?

4. Geuzedad

Geuzedad Nov 14, 2010 Arizona
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Your first mistake was drinking Sam Adams.

5. jbertsch

jbertsch Dec 14, 2008 Massachusetts

Visible sediment is not necessarily a bad thing, and from what I remember this is normal for Whitewater IPA. Did you taste it?

AndyAvalanche and JimKal like this.
  6. Fabric8r

Fabric8r Nov 25, 2002 Montana

“The mind that opens to a new idea never returns to its original size.”

― Albert Einstein

I guess we were hoping that first bottle was a fluke, we were wrong. They all are trash.

Hornet2003 and stormywaters like this.
  7. Frankinstiener

Frankinstiener Jul 28, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

That is pretty normal for this beer. If you don't want the sediment, then leave the last ounce in the bottle.

JimKal likes this.
  8. Dupage25

Dupage25 Jul 4, 2013 Antarctica

He said "gooped out" and mentioned "floaties." Sediment is not the same thing as floaties, and gooped out gives the impression it was viscous and slimy. Definitely not normal.

9. blivingston1985

blivingston1985 Jan 7, 2010 North Carolina

10. kzoobrew

kzoobrew May 8, 2006 Michigan

Embarrassing? How so?

11. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Good timing because I just had this beer this weekend. I didnt really notice the sediment but what bothered me was is that I thought this beer was a White IPA and it wasnt. Tasted like a standard IPA. Also I couldnt really taste the apricot that much. Thought this beer was pretty good actually despite my complaints. It was hoppy, piney, grapefruity, citrusy. Again, a solid IPA and I didnt notice much of the "white ale" aspect of it.

BigJim5021 likes this.
  12. CassinoNorth

CassinoNorth Apr 5, 2013 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Gonna also be that guy, but with so many other better IPA options readily available...why even bring whitewater in the first place?

willth likes this.
  13. OregonGrown7

OregonGrown7 Nov 2, 2012 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Oh man, that's a knee slapper! You're so awesome.

szmnnl99, fineout, dwagner003 and 3 others like this.
  14. UCLABrewN84

UCLABrewN84 Mar 18, 2010 California

If you think that's embarassing, don't pour a Heady Topper into a glass...

15. atomic

atomic Sep 22, 2009 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Jai Alai is going to have floaters if you pour the whole can. Most Cigar Cities I've had where like that.

velcrogrip and JimKal like this.
  16. VictorWisc

VictorWisc Jan 2, 2013 Massachusetts

Did you rinse the glass?

17. checktherhyme

checktherhyme Apr 8, 2008 Washington

What is wrong with Sam Adams?

18. WhatANicePub

WhatANicePub Jul 1, 2009 United Kingdom (Scotland)

They make beer full of floaties?

Geuzedad likes this.
  19. podunkparte

podunkparte Nov 14, 2009 Washington

The two bottles of Utopias in my cellar disagree with you and your judgement of an entire brewery based on one person's 2 bad bottles of beer.

OP, have you considered actually emailing the brewery and asking them about it? Not a lot we can do for you

VictorWisc and beveritt like this.
  20. Brad007

Brad007 Mar 28, 2007 Vermont

Did you talk to the people you bought it from?

Email someone at the brewery?

What good does it do to bitch about it on BA?

Kyrojack, LeRose and VictorWisc like this.
  21. nc41

nc41 Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

If it's unfiltered I can understand the floaties. If they're not supposed to be there, you should have bought back the remaining 5 from where you bought them, hence a reputable bottle shop. If it was bad he could pull his stock and deal with the distributor.

22. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Hi Fabric8r! This is Sam Adams, you know...the former president and now brewer?
    So glad you expressed your concerns here on BeerAdvocate about sediment in those beers that you probably poured too aggressively for the style, but why don't you contact me at my service address and perhaps I can actually do something about it!
    Cheers now!
    Sam

fishtremble and youbrewidrink like this.
  23. youbrewidrink

youbrewidrink Apr 9, 2009 Vermont
    Beer Trader

That's so true.

The brewer actually tells you for the full experience turn your refriderated Heady Topper cans every 24 hours to keep the particles properly suspended.

VictorWisc likes this.
  24. KevinGordon

KevinGordon Dec 16, 2012 North Carolina

there is nothing wrong with floaties in Jai Alai...or really any beer

25. geocool

geocool Jun 21, 2006 Massachusetts

What I don't understand is why do people pour perfectly good beer down the drain? It's a White beer that is hopped like an IPA -- there's supposed to be yeast in the bottle.

The label of my favorite White beer (Allagash White) bears the instructions "pour, swirl, pour yeast."

Kyrojack and tabascosigned like this.
  26. DarkDragon999

DarkDragon999 Feb 13, 2013 Rhode Island

Sam Adams makes a lot of average and medicore beers but Whitewater is one of their better offerings I believe. I dont think its a low grade IPA I mean it has everything an IPA fan would want.

szmnnl99 and jbertsch like this.
  27. jesskidden

jesskidden Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Dear Sam:​

Sorry to butt into this correspondence, but you were never president (of the US, at least) -- that was your second cousin, John, and his kid, John Quincy. There's even some debate if you were ever a brewer (some claim you were just a maltster, and a not very good one at that). But, yeah, a long time ago and memories fade.​

Otherwise, thanks for your work during the US Revolution.​

Your Pal,​
    JK ;)

28. jmw

jmw Feb 4, 2009 North Carolina

Dammit Jess! There goes my free country club membership! People here think I was a pres...
    yrs
    sam

tronester and jbaker67 like this.
  29. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Umm. Before getting into a hernia about it.
    Know your beer styles, please. This just sounds like it had a bit of cake on the bottom. No biggy.
    The answer to your issue with sediment is as follows.
    If you see it pouring hazy and cloudy. Don't pour the whole thing, and set aside the end of the pour or give it a go and relax the bottle a bit to break the sediment up. i.e. swirl it when open, or roll it right before opening it. Problem solved.

Kyrojack likes this.
  30. dougfur

dougfur Jan 24, 2011 New York

I don't mind floaties if it tastes good. In fact, more and more, I'm starting to dislike the look of a really clear beer...

JimKal likes this.
  31. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

They apparently cause great embarrassment at parties.

Hanzo and checktherhyme like this.
  32. Damian

Damian Jun 1, 2006 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

I loved SA's Whitewater IPA. As a witte/IPA hybrid, I swirled the beer and mixed the yeast particles into the liquid before pouring it into my glass. I'd recommend you do the same. It was solid.

checktherhyme and JimKal like this.
  33. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I'm still dying to know what the OP meant by "gooped out of the bottle".

I've had Whitewater and the floaties seemed like a normal part of the beer. But the term "gooped" makes it sound like it was slimy and bad in some way.

The beer tasted decent--it's a shame that someone would drainpour a sixer because they didn't like how it looked...

Kyrojack likes this.
  34. utopiajane

utopiajane Jun 11, 2013 New York

Sight is a big influence in how appetizing or appealing a food is. If it looks "dirty" or like there is something in it that doesn't belong I would expect a lower opinion in general. If you didn't know about yeast in suspension what would you think it was? Sediment is not something the average person deals with in a bottled beverage. Port wine not withstanding. Who knew you had to decant?

35. Kyrojack

Kyrojack Oct 9, 2012 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Considering the it is a mix with a Belgian wheat..... its completely acceptable. The yeast adds to the overall drinking experience of wits....

checktherhyme likes this.
  36. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

A Belgian Wheat Beer (a Wit) is hazy due to proteins from the use of wheat. A Wit is brewed with raw wheat (unmalted wheat) which has increased proteins over malted wheat.

It is my understanding that the Whitewater IPA is brewed with the Sam Adams house ale strain. There should be no haze from the ale yeast in this beer.

The presence of floaties seems to indicate that the protein haze has coagulated vs. just being a fine haze that you normally see in a Wit beer.

For those interested in reading more about floaties/protein haze:http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/tag/floaties/

From the above linked article: "Permanent haze tends to clump together in the beer and stay there. The scientific technical term for this permanent haze that clumps together is “floaties.”

Cheers!

P.S. I have never drunk a Whitewater IPA.

37. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Totally agree with this sentiment. That being said, it is on the drinker to understand what is or isn't "normal" for a particular style of beer. There are plenty of beers out there where sediment/floaties/etc. are part and parcel of the style.

People have their individual tastes, but I would caution that anyone who is automatically turned off by particulate in a given beer could be missing out on some really quality styles of beer.

38. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Dec 9, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

To the OP and anyone else who is frightened by floaties: Man [or Woman] Up! They won't kill you or make you sick. And if you don't strain your liquids with your teeth, they will go down your throat quite easily.

39. Todd

Todd Founder Aug 23, 1996 Colorado
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

It's supposed to be slightly hazy, but shouldn't contain "white floaties." Light sediment? Perhaps, and it wouldn't be uncommon for a hybrid style like this.

Checkout their description of the beer + tasting video: http://www.samueladams.com/craft-beers/whitewater-ipa
    I'd contact the brewery vs. just complaining about it online.

40. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Todd, the haze in Whitewater IPA is proteins from the raw wheat used to brew that beer. You are correct that this haze should ideally be a fine haze like you would see in a Belgian Wit (e.g., Allagash White) but there are conditions (aging?) whereby the proteins can coagulate and form ‘floaties’. From a taste perspective there is nothing wrong with the beer. As long as you intentionally brew a beer to have protein haze I am not sure that there is anything that can be done to prevent ‘floaties’ from being formed under certain conditions.

Contacting Boston Brewing is appropriate. I am unsure how they will respond to this issue.

Cheers!

Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe