Who's brewing the best IPAs right now?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by nolinenowait, Jun 10, 2016.

1. nolinenowait

nolinenowait Initiate (0) Mar 9, 2013 Vermont

Living in New England, I have access to some of the world's finest pale ales. However I know breweries outside my area are putting out an awesome product as well. Who currently brews your favorite IPA or Pale Ale, and what is their best offering?

2. Tonyjenlasc

Tonyjenlasc Initiate (0) Jul 6, 2015 New Jersey

Treehouse and Trillium are easily leading the way for me. Green is the GOAT and Vicinity is my favorite offering from Trillium. The best local to me though is Tired Hands. They are absolutely crushing the hoppy game as well. Alien Church (amongst many others) is fantastic!

3. nolinenowait

I haven't had anything from Tired Hands but do love Treehouse and Trillium. Currently, for me, I l like Hill Farmstead the best. However, offerings such as Focal Banger and Double Sunshine are up there as my all time favorites as well.

Oscarsmom and Tonyjenlasc like this.
  4. zizouandyuki

zizouandyuki Aspirant (247) Nov 26, 2015 Texas

In no particular order:
    • Lone Pint - Yellow Rose
    • Carton - 077XX, 07871 (Mosaic)
    • Hoof Hearted - Roller Blabe

5. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,416) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Trader

Foam Brewers, Burlington Vermont

6. Hayden34

Hayden34 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2014 Georgia

My favorite IPA that I can (sometimes) get my hands on in my area is Creature Comforts Tropicalia. Fantastic beer that flies off the shelves down here.

7. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

8. SerialInebriate

SerialInebriate Devotee (441) May 16, 2004 Montana
    Premium

Firestone Walker (Double Jack), Ballast Point (Sculpin and Big Eye), Deschutes (Inversion IPA), Sierra Nevada (Hoptimum), Blackfoot River (Single Malt IPA), Stone (Ruination 2.0), Alpine (Exponential Hoppiness this one is Liquid Sex in a bottle) I could go on and on so many fine Breweries out there now .

9. TomN

TomN Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2004 New Jersey

Haven't had the opportunity to try a number of the ones raved about but Pipeworks Lizard King and Ninja vs Unicorn were both damn good.

10. Lingenbrau

Lingenbrau Poo-Bah (2,710) Apr 9, 2011 Oregon

Locally: Noble Ale Works, Modern Times, Societe, and El Segundo around these parts. And an honorable mention to Pizza Port. Cheers!

Brolo75, Oscarsmom, TrojanRB and 4 others like this.
  11. michman

michman Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2005 Illinois

here comes the new england circle jerk.

SawDog505, jcos, LuckyOneSix and 74 others like this.
  12. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (468) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Melvin from Jackson, WY is way up there. Odd 13 is starting to make some killer stuff as well. La Cumbre makes great IPAs. Unfortunately they are fairly easy to acquire in CO so the hype train hasn't left the station.

Also a shout out to Grimm Artisan Ales, some of their IPAs have been incredible (the ones I have tried)

#12 Dan_K, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
  13. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,157) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Premium Trader

I've been blessed with folks nice enough to send me Other Half offerings, and from what I've had from them, they are a notch above other great breweries I've enjoyed lately. Haven't had much from further up NE, but basing my thoughts just on what I've had.

Being said, there's dozens of "1A's" that I could list..... IPAs and DIPAs that give me pause seem to be more abundant now than even one year ago, which is certainly a wonderful thing!

cavedave likes this.
  14. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,111) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

I'm going to throw out some randoms, because people have already named the obvious ones..

Aslin
    The Veil
    Monkish

15. nolinenowait

Have you had anything from The Veil?

16. nolinenowait

I'm not familiar with Aslin, but how do The Veil and Monkish compare to the North East IPAs?

17. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (2,111) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Premium Trader

Exactly the same style.. Super hazy, super juicy, reduced bitterness.

18. TBonez477

TBonez477 Zealot (598) Jan 15, 2015 Vermont
    Trader

I can't argue with the Treehouse/Trillium fans. Some of the local 'B-squad' brews here are great for me because I can always get them without a line. Those include Idletyme, any Foley Bros. and Foam

Daveshek28, Oscarsmom and VABA like this.
  19. cavedave

Trader

That's fair, I guess, since we all jumped on Chicago/MIdwest when your beers were all the rage and you all were so full of yourselves. Years ago.

jcos, nc41, chipawayboy and 38 others like this.
  20. gopens44

Premium Trader

Sadly, no. What sucks is that I live right outside Richmond, work in Richmond, but Tuesdays (release days) are the absolute worse days for me, so no chance of getting there. Can't get into town on the weekends to have a few at eh bar due to kid activities, so basically since the Veil has opened, it has been one huge p#%*tease to me...... I also hate the idea of having to trade for something out of town to pull of an IP trade for in-town beer!!!

beertunes likes this.
  21. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (533) Jan 16, 2013 New York

Outside of Hill Farmstead, The Alchemist, Trillium and Tree House?

Singlecut, Other Half and Grimm.

22. MJS08

MJS08 Aspirant (277) Jul 29, 2014 Florida
    Premium

While they all sing "Sweet Caroline". Super fresh Jai Alai for me.

jcos, hudsonvalleyslim, tmalt and 3 others like this.
  23. BltByKrmn

BltByKrmn Zealot (533) Jan 16, 2013 New York

As someone who doesn't live in New England, it's always so funny to see how defensive a number of you midwesterners get when it comes to beer.

24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Defender (649) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

Trillium and Singlecut get most of my $$ these days. Honorable mention to Other Half.

Love the New England jealousy. The tables have turned.

25. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Devotee (453) May 3, 2016 Illinois

I think the better question is "Who is making good, unique IPAs right now?" I've tried so many hyped IPAs from East/West/Midwest that wind up tasting just like beers from other regions that I think it just reinforces the Drink Local mantra.

26. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (338) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

No coast to define them.

As someone who lives in New England, I wish I had access to Surly and Toppling Goliath and Bells.

jcos, Hopfan74, Daveshek28 and 10 others like this.
  27. michman

accurate observation isnt really defensiveness...but your comment clearly is.

badmotorgrunge and GetMeAnIPA like this.
  28. michman

you can jump on and off whatever bandwagon you please. i didnt brew any of the beer so i dont really give a f**k if you enjoyed it or not.

29. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,696) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania

I'll have to tack on with the New England and Mid-Atlantic votes, because really, that's what I tend to drink as I can get it fresh through travel, friends and being local. Trillium might be my favorite for New England, and Tired Hands would get my vote for my super-local best IPAs.

TBonez477 likes this.
  30. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

BOOOOOM

my, how the tides have turned.

31. gopens44

Premium Trader

I'll be happy to reinvigorate "third coast"......

32. stickboy1125

stickboy1125 Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2012 Virginia

It's shocking that the person who started this thread lives in NE, isn't it?

jcos, Sheppard, beertunes and 2 others like this.
  33. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Disciple (351) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

In Colorado: Comrade, Cannonball Creek, Odd13, Station 26.

In Colorado stores: Melvin, Odd13, Station 26 (Comrade and Cannonball Creek are brewery taproom only)

Honorable mention to Eddyline.

SFACRKnight, eppCOS and Ricelikesbeer like this.
  34. twistwrist

twistwrist Initiate (0) Jun 20, 2013 Georgia

Yeah, it sells out ALL the time. That's a sign of an excellent beer!

Hayden34 likes this.
  35. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (139) Feb 5, 2010 New York

There are so many good IPAs right now, it comes down to real nitpicking and slight personal preferences to be able to say what's best (and sometimes even then it depends on mood). I had my first King Sue recently which was really excellent. Tree House and Trillium do really good stuff, but I don't seek them out. Overall, I'd say I prefer Hill Farmstead (Double Citra, Abner, Double Galaxy, Society & Solitude(s), Susan). But when we were last in Vermont in October, the one beer that I had every single day and the one beer that I can't get tired of is Focal Banger.

36. cavedave

Trader

Really? Gee thanks. Personally I drink the beer I like, preferably without bandwagon.

37. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

... and they will again.

38. zid

zid Champion (867) Feb 15, 2010 New York

I thought wax tops were a pain to get off, but getting off bandwagon is even worse.

39. michman

really bc you were enjoying those midwest beers "years ago when all the rage". sounds like flavor of the month to me

Coldstorage and badmotorgrunge like this.
  40. elucas730

elucas730 Initiate (139) Feb 5, 2010 New York

I must've missed the month when midwest IPAs were all the rage.