Who's brewing this weekend 10-12 10-13

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by inchrisin, Oct 11, 2013.

1. inchrisin

inchrisin Sep 25, 2008 Indiana

I'll be going to my first beerfest and dry hopping a Zombie Dust clone. If I can shake the hang over I'll brew a peanut butter stout on Sunday.

2. jae

jae Feb 21, 2010 Washington
    Beer Trader

Doing a big candi syrup-driven quad with a mixed primary fermentation (2nd gen 3822 & 2nd gen Roeselare/bottle dregs/cherry goop).

3. AlCaponeJunior

AlCaponeJunior May 21, 2010 Texas

brewing CACA (classic American creme ale) using nine pounds six row, three pounds flaked corn, and tettnanger hops (a fair amount, not too little, not too much). Bottling fresh hop pale ale.

4. MrOH

MrOH Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

Brewing the IPA I was thinking of doing last week. 90% GP, 8% Cara40L, 2% melanoidin, and if that's not malty enough for her, tough.

Backing of on the bittering hops from now on. First couple batches in the new place taste a bit more bitter than what I was getting from similar calculations in Philly. Harder water here, I suppose.

Maybe bottling a porter, time permitting.

5. cavedave

cavedave Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Did a one barrel batch of Amber with a friend on Tuesday, and will be finally getting to either a Conan Imperial Red or a saison I've been meaning to get to after 1/2 day of work on Sunday, unless friends force me to go to Peekskill and drink beer, in which case it gets put off to Monday or Tuesday.

barfdiggs likes this.
  6. bitterbeerguy

bitterbeerguy Oct 23, 2011 Minnesota

Doing a 100% Brett pale ale and an American wild ale with grapefruit and mandarin oranges!! It's been a year since a brewed last and I am stoked...two happy yeast starters sitting in the kitchen:)

BalancingBrooms, Bjohnston and od_sf like this.
  7. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

If I find the time, a Dark Mild is next on the agenda. Just in time for my homebrew club's Real Ale Festival.

8. FATC1TY

FATC1TY Feb 12, 2012 Georgia
    Moderator Subscriber Beer Trader

I'm gonna keg my house IPA this weekend, and get the first round of dry hop on it. Chinook and Amarillo going in first, followed by Simcoe with a pinch of Columbus.

If I find the time, I'll probably brew up my Chocolate Oat Porter I've had milled up for a couple weeks now and haven't gotten around to making.

9. od_sf

od_sf Nov 2, 2010 California

Yep, brewing 2.5 gallons of my hoppy Belgian pale ale with Wyeast 3522 and brettanomyces B as secondary strain.

emmur0 likes this.
  10. azorie

azorie Mar 18, 2006 Florida

11. BumpkinBrewer

BumpkinBrewer Jan 6, 2010 Massachusetts
    Subscriber Beer Trader

10 gallons of IPA with a fresh conan culture
    and a 5g Belgian table beer as a starter for a big Tripel

12. mnstorm99

mnstorm99 May 11, 2007 Minnesota

No brewing planned, but I do have plenty of brewing related stuff to do this weekend:
    Kegging and dry hopping my home toasted IPA
    Bottling an English brown ale
    Home caramelizing some two row for next weekends brew (west coast amber) , and getting that starter going.

13. mnstorm99

Scratch that, I have a RIS to brew next weekend...needs to be done for a club competition in mid January. Three months might be pushing it.

14. utahbeerdude

utahbeerdude May 2, 2006 Utah

Koelsch, baby! Stepping up the starter tonight and brewing tomorrow.

15. OddNotion

OddNotion Nov 1, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Saison Sunday!

Also will hopefully be drinking my 2 Hearted inspired IPA and kegging/dry hopping a blonde ale.

Also, tasting and potentially dry hopping my 100% Brett IPA.

od_sf likes this.
  16. Naugled

Naugled Sep 25, 2007 New York
    Subscriber

I had to postpone my brewing until next week. But that's ok I'll be playing around in my brewery over the weekend anyway, experimenting, sampling, cleaning (ugh) and general futzing around.

inchrisin and cavedave like this.
  17. pointyskull

pointyskull Mar 17, 2010 Illinois
    Subscriber

Nothing brewing but tonight I'm bottling 5 gal of a cherry/bourbon stout dubbed Red Right Hand...

18. telejunkie

telejunkie Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

my son's birthday party Saturday, daughter's birthday party Sunday...ergo will be doing more on the consumption side than the creating side this weekend. Going to need a weekend after this weekend. Do have to wash some kegs and get a couple beers racked over.

19. boilermakerryan

boilermakerryan Nov 8, 2011 Indiana
    Beer Trader

German Kolsch here...Batch version 5 this time using Kolsch II yeast from WYeast and changed grain bill a bit as well.

20. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Mar 22, 2011 California

Brewing on my new Pico Brew Zymatic. So awesome... Will crank out a batch of Pliny clone followed by a heady clone. Its been great since switching to it, no more back aches, missed hop additions or boil overs, since it of course doesn't boil anything. My only gripe is the slight corn aroma in some of the beers, but I'm pretty sure I just accidentally added some flaked maize to the grist.

21. nolabrew

nolabrew Apr 20, 2010 Louisiana

My home brew club is doing a brewing demonstration for the big local Oktoberfest on Saturday. We did it last year as well and that asked us to come back, so it must have gone over well. We will be brewing 50 gallons of a Britishish IPA.

22. mnstorm99

o_O

23. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Subscriber

I have a 3 day with Columbus Day. Will be bottling my English Dark Mild I made 3 weeks ago at a mystery wort brew off, and brewing up an Autumn IPA to go on the yeast cake. Hoping to get a rich, bready, autumnal malt profile to pair with piney, dank, and grapefruit hops, a slightly higher FG than I normally like in an IPA for a rich finish balanced by a deep bitterness and roasted grain pull. Autumn is here and I need a beer that plays well with the current weather. 8% ABV sounds about right to warm up these cold nights a little.

OG 1.079, FG 1.017, ABV 8.1%, SRM 16, IBU 92

81% Pale Malt
    10% Flaked Barley (mouthfeel)
    5% Kiln Amber (toasted bread)
    3% Crystal Rye (autumn, sweet breads)
    1% Roast Barley (color, dry finish)

Bitter with CTZ, lots of Chinook, CTZ, and Cascade/Centennial Blend throughout, and DH

WY 1968 cake, original slurry from Ninkasi.

Should be ready to drink by Halloween.

24. OddNotion

Beer Trader

TROLL!

barfdiggs likes this.
  25. jbakajust1

Moderator Subscriber

So hows your hop utilization on those beers w/ the whole no-boil thing?;)

barfdiggs likes this.
  26. barfdiggs

Oh, I've just been using pre-isomerized extract for everything. That won't make a difference, right?

27. OddNotion

Beer Trader

If I had $1300 to add on to my current set up right now, ahhhh cant even think about it. The size of the keezer I would build! Plus plate chiller, plus pumps, plus kettle upgrades, plus more kegs. Oh yeah plus ingredients for like 10 batches, and I still think I have some $$ to spare. But I think picobrew would be a better investment. I think to emulate it I am going to use cream corn instead of dry hops in my next IPA.

28. nolabrew

nolabrew Apr 20, 2010 Louisiana

That's pretty much what I said when I was told the style.

29. barfdiggs

Tell me about it. I so want a single tiered brew stand instead of my three tier, and could also use some new kegs.

Yesterday, I just talked to a great local fabrication shop and they just agreed to weld 1/2" NPT couplers into all five of my kettles (2x 1 bbl, 1x keggle, 2x 10.5 gallon kettles) [for whirlpooling/recirc] and cut a lid for a 1 bbl kettle to fit my morebeer recirculation arm for 2 kegs of beer down the road (I received quotes from other shops for $600-700). I'm pretty excited to be able to brew again, especially with the upgraded kettles (I also just put in 90 degree elbows as pick up tubes into the kettle interior since I was losing 2 gallons of wort in the mash with my 1 bbl kettles).

Yeah, this just made me shudder. Cream corn is so gross.

30. bgjohnston

bgjohnston Jan 14, 2009 Connecticut

I will be guest brewer #3 at a home brewing demo day at my local shop. German Alt.

31. OddNotion

Beer Trader

When this stuff is done, can you post some pics or send em my way... I am looking to see what I want to do exactly with my kettle (a bit smaller than yours as my kettle is 10 gallons) but I am looking to put in a weldless ball valve and a recirc/whirlpool arm and want to get a visual as to what I need to do.

Edit: Also, when are you finally getting back to brewing?

32. barfdiggs

Will do. I drop them off on Monday and should have them mid week. I really like the Morebeer arm that my wife bought me, but without cutting a portion of the kettle lid, its a bit of a pain in the ass to work with so I wouldn't recommend that as an alternative to a weldless fitting like you're planning on putting in.

Will start brewing again in mid/late December. My defense is December 16th, and my first kid is due in early November, so after those life events, I can start brewing again. Thankfully my wife likes beer, and likes me brewing (instead of golfing) as I'm at home. Very excited to brew as I've got the grain and hops on hand for a Surly Bitter Brewer Clone (Changed into a West Coast Bitter with some extra hop additions & Hop back), Surly Furious (Hop schedule changed to make it more american amber like, plus hop back full of amarillo), 1 bbl of lambic, 1 bbl English barleywine, 15 gallons XPA and ten gallons of mild. I will be brewing my balls off :)

OddNotion likes this.
  33. jbakajust1

Moderator Subscriber

I got brand new kettles a couple months ago and fit them with (my own pieced together) weldless fittings: sight glass, thermometer, and ball valve with 90' elbow pick ups. Also have a whirlpool arm on my IC and had my buddy cut the lids on mine to go around all three pipes (IC in, IC out, WP arm). The cuts in the lid are great. First time I brewed with it I got the pickup clogged shut with hops and have purchased 18 - 2 gallon paint strainer bags to rectify that. Will be brewing the IPA this Monday with them.

Congrats, and don't be too bummed if the only thing you want to do with any down time for the first 3 months of fatherhood is sleep. Brewing dropped off some when my second was born last Dec. Was not a smart move for me to brew my 2 IPAs in January - but I just had to use my new March Pump and WP arm.

barfdiggs likes this.
  34. OddNotion

Beer Trader

That sounds awesome, I am excited to get my setup a bit more updated and economical. I will suggest a 5 minute build of a hop spider for those pain strainer bags to keep the pickup from clogging - also if you do go with this build use all metal and no pvc (from experience).

35. mnstorm99

Changed my mind again, instead of a starter tonight I will be brewing a 2.5 gallon extract mild as a starter for my RIS next weekend.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  36. jbakajust1

Moderator Subscriber

Thanks for the suggestion. I did a Hop Spider before, the problem I always ran into (and would be worse with my current set up - 7 gallons of wort in a 17 gallon kettle) is that my hops always got stuck in the fabric on the way down and never got into the boiling wort. I would spend most of my boil trying to get the hops into the wort. These 2 gallon bags should work great for any size addition, and I can pull them out and squeeze all the goodness back into the wort after the chill. The other issue I had with the spider was having to move it out of the boil to get my IC into the boil and then get the hops back into the boil.

37. OddNotion

Beer Trader

Its all about making your system work best for you! I happen to have a system where the hop spider works perfectly, but I can certainly see how it is a hinderance in yours.

38. brewdawg9

brewdawg9 Apr 17, 2008 Oregon

Got a yeast starter using WLP002 going for a Brown Ale I will be brewing tomorrow. Will be brewing a second Brown Ale on Sunday, fermenting with WLP005, and I have an American Brown I will be bottling tomorrow, and a Pale Ale I will be bottling Sunday. If thats' not enough, and I'm still standing, I will be dry-hopping another Pale Ale that has been happily fermenting the past week on Sunday evening. And I wonder where my weekends go. Huh?

Boonedog and utahbeerdude like this.
  39. jkane101

jkane101 Sep 22, 2007 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Doubled it up this weekend
    Hefe with Wyest 3068
    DIPA with ECY 29 (Conan)

40. Boonedog

Boonedog Apr 10, 2013 Illinois

Just cleaned up from doing a batch of Janet's Brown. Nice 2L starter of 1056 at full krausen so on with the blow off tube.

Struggled a bit trying to figure out the best way to use the keggle boiler I borrowed. Heavy sucker when full.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe