Who's coming for the AHA Conference?

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by DrewBeechum, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Meyvn (1,235) Mar 15, 2003 California
    Supporter Subscriber

Since the launch of registration is tomorrow at 3PM EST. I just want to see who's going to try and get some tickets for this thing?

If the AHA reaches the capacity numbers, this will be a monster. I also fully expect that the registration will blow up like crazy since the conference hasn't been out on the East Coast proper since 2006 in Orlando and nearby since 2008 (Cincinnati).

Who's in?

2. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,288) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

3. axeman9182

axeman9182 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Booked the hotel a little while ago, plan on registering right at 3.

4. barfdiggs

barfdiggs Initiate (0) Mar 22, 2011 California

Sad I'll be missing out. Its right around the time of my thesis defense, which means I'll be stressed before and sick afterwards (From either let down or way too much celebratory Chocolate Rain).

5. DrewBeechum

Supporter Subscriber

Barf.. good luck!

Everyone else, the site is taking a beating, but now is the time to register!

6. TomFoley

TomFoley Initiate (193) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

not getting anywhere................................

7. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,328) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Registered.

8. DrewBeechum

Supporter Subscriber

9. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,002) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

Yeah, I had to use the regonline.com link since the website is overwhelmed.

I look forward to the NHC in Philly; the best beer city in America!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

10. OldSock

OldSock Defender (655) Apr 3, 2005 District of Columbia
    Subscriber

11. hopfenunmaltz

Got the regonline from another website. This was a little different from years past, we got the hotel and conf., but had to jump through more hoops. The AHA site was slow last year. This year it was not responding due to being swamped, it was still up according some guy in the club who pinged it and saw the repsonses.

Already posed the question to a local AHA board member about next year in Grand Rapids.

12. hopfenunmaltz

It looks like there are a lot of new people to meet this year.

13. TomFoley

TomFoley Initiate (193) Mar 19, 2005 Pennsylvania

Yes, thanks for that info.

14. JackHorzempa

Supporter

And I look forward to meeting you too. Jeff!

Cheers!

15. EricMc513

EricMc513 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2007 California

16. ColForbinBC

ColForbinBC Poo-Bah (1,979) Sep 9, 2005 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

This will be my first time going.

17. hopfenunmaltz

There were the Conf-minus Thursday, and the social still available as of 10 minutes ago.

One could always get one of those and be wait listed for the full conf.

Some were saying it would take longer to sell out with 2500 this year. Wow, it will get sold out by bedtime, probably before.

Edit - #8 for me. See you there Jack.

18. EricMc513

EricMc513 Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2007 California

Wasn't last year 36 hours for just under 2000 people? Glad I got in! Missed getting a room in the host hotel, though. Looks like there's a few nearby, though.

19. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Wow! Sold out in just a couple of hours!?! I suppose lots of folks want to visit the best beer city in America!

For you non-locals, a few tips on how to talk like a Philadelphian.

Firstly, add the word “Yo” to your vocabulary. An example sentence: Yo, Adrian!

Secondly, we all know the basic ingredients of beer: Malt, Water, Hops and Yeast. So, let me help you to properly pronounce “water”: it is pronounced like wood-er. We don’t respond to that watt-er nonsense.

Indigenous foods are cheesesteaks, hoagies, soft pretzels, …

So, how to order a cheesesteak. If you state: Cheesesteak Wit (which stands for with) you will get a cheesesteak with Cheese Whiz and fried onions (that is the Wit part). If you don’t want orange gooey stuff on your cheesesteak you need to specify the type of (real) cheese that you want; the two popular options Provolone cheese or American cheese. If you don’t want fried onions then the expression would be Cheesesteak Wit-out.

If you order an Italian Hoagie it would be an abomination to ask for mayo on that sandwich . You can order it dry but you really should ask for oil (oil/vinegar combo) for your hoagie.

When it comes to eating soft pretzels it is possible to eat it plain but you really, really should put mustard on it; not ‘fancy’ mustard just plain old yellow mustard.

I suppose the best advice I could do is recommend that you rent the movie Rocky and learn how to talk like Rocky; you will then be just like a ‘regular’ Philadelphian!:slight_smile:

Cheers!

epk likes this.
  20. DrewBeechum

Supporter Subscriber

Yow!

Important thing to realize about the Full-Thurs bit - all of the talks from Thursday afternoon (aka when the talks start) will be repeated later in the conference. Problem with the space we're in - the AHA's sharing space with another conference until that night - so it limits the bodies the AHA can put in the area.

21. JackHorzempa

Supporter

“Yow”? Oh boy, I think you are gonna need a lot of work!?!:wink:

I think your ‘homework’ is both Rocky and Rocky II!

Cheers!

22. koopa

koopa Poo-Bah (1,825) Apr 20, 2008 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Registered and hotel reserved.

23. axeman9182

axeman9182 Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2009 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

We should plan a BA Homebrew forum meetup at some point during the conference.

koopa likes this.
  24. reverseapachemaster

reverseapachemaster Aspirant (244) Sep 21, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I can't make it but if I did I'd show up in blackface as Apollo Creed.

25. Gmr75

Gmr75 Aspirant (244) Apr 30, 2002 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Registered, staying at host hotel, and our club is doing club night. Really looking forward to the event!

26. epk

epk Initiate (145) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

I live right outside Philly so had to jump on this. The friend that I brew with actually registered me as a guest because I'm lazy and still haven't become an AHA member myself.

First time for both of us. We just went with the standard cheapest package. What should I expect from that package? I'm seriously hoping its much more than an expensive beer fest.

27. MrOH

MrOH Defender (641) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I guess I oughtta become an AHA member so I can go, what with living in Philly, and having in-laws in Grand Rapids to stay with next year.

28. epk

epk Initiate (145) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Well Philly is sold out. But having in-laws in Grand Rapids is a plus for next year.

29. DrewBeechum

Supporter Subscriber

Don't forget.. if you're interested in going to the conference, try and get on the waitlist! As we get closer to the conference, people will also be selling their tickets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.