Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Who's getting their KBS today?!?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by hallandoates, Apr 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

Beer karma is always a good thing. Someday, somehow, you will be rewarded for this.

kcp85 and GennyCreamAle like this.
  2. lic217

lic217 Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Yeah 28 bottles is absurd anyways. I also plan on giving 2 four packs away. One four pack to my brother in law and the other to my dad. then i will give a bottle each to the two guys I brew with and a bottle to my sister in law. That will leave me with 17. Drink a few now and then one every month or so. Life is good sometimes. Plus I know they will repay me with some good brews!

deadonhisfeet likes this.
  3. deadonhisfeet

deadonhisfeet Apr 23, 2011 Kentucky

It's good to be generous. 17 is plenty. Honestly, every year I just try to score a single 4-pack. If I ever did buy an entire case, it would last me for years. No way would I want to drink that stuff every day. Once every couple of months if enough for me. With all the other stouts I like to drink (Speedway, Ten Fidy, BCBS, Founders Impy Stout, Pt5, etc.) I just wouldn't find time for that much KBS.

4. Herky21

Herky21 Aug 7, 2011 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I went all over trying to find it yesterday, then I called around today, found places who said they would have it at a certain time and they didn't. Then my girlfriend texts me a picture of a 4-pack and makes my day. Nice.

bigthirst, beerindaglass and TomClem like this.
  5. dbol

dbol Aug 19, 2007 California

not me. i've gotten decent amounts over the last 3 years and decided it was too much hassle seeking it out. i like it, but it's not that great IMO.

Jake1605 likes this.
  6. cnbrown313

cnbrown313 May 29, 2012 Illinois

First time I've ever seen it on an actual shelf today... I had to do a double take. It was limited to 1 12oz bottle per person... but I was cool with that (no lists, behind the counter, wink / wink shenanigans...lol)

7. supa0525

supa0525 Apr 8, 2008 Michigan

$5 is awesome....I live in Grand Rapids and had to pay $6!

8. lic217

lic217 Aug 10, 2010 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

Agreed. it should last me at least a year. I bought 8 bourbon counties a couple of months ago. I still have 7. It certainly is not an every day beer. At most once a month. I agree about other great stouts too. I usually drink a couple of big beers like that on the weekend and tend to switch up which ones I drink. I am just starting to age beers too. It sounds like KBS changes drastically with age. It will be fun to see how they change.

9. Bay01

Bay01 Nov 19, 2008 Illinois

Reported

10. Squiggy

Squiggy Feb 18, 2013 Michigan

reported?

Beerandraiderfan likes this.
  11. wvsabbath

wvsabbath Apr 29, 2010 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

First time ive been unable to score a case,,,not very happy, increase production yet there seems to be less distributed???

12. mental1

mental1 Jan 31, 2013 Virginia

Looky what I found!

[​IMG]

MichPaul likes this.
  13. robhbest

robhbest Apr 16, 2012 Michigan

3 new states to feed this year.

14. wardenclyffe

wardenclyffe Sep 10, 2010 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Yea I am just now getting into the trade game. I am not sure I will have the ammo to get some KBS, but I have wound up with nothing even actively trying for the last 2 years so I am hoping this will be the year.

15. gzarroli

gzarroli May 26, 2006 Virginia
    Beer Trader

where where where?

16. clintonp

clintonp Feb 9, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Was at the release party on Saturday at the brewery. Well worth trying to find some. Ill be at Binnys today and Friday in Lombard and Bolingbrook in IL to score some more!

17. thegoon55

thegoon55 Oct 27, 2012 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]
    In my mouth.

18. loafinaround

loafinaround Jul 16, 2011 New York

I'm picking-up 2 bottles tomorrow.... One for me, one for a friend. I'm grateful they're being held for me! This whale has been elusive to me until now....

BeerTwigs likes this.
  19. mental1

mental1 Jan 31, 2013 Virginia

Richmond, Once upon a Vine South

20. hoerr

hoerr Oct 18, 2009 South Carolina

21. raynmoon

raynmoon Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Just get Parabola, sheesh.

Jimmeekrek and bcostner1 like this.
  22. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

Good luck. I have spoken up about how I always leave some for the unknown BA that's coming in behind me and have been flamed for it. Too many BA's seem to think it's dog eat dog and they NEED to get a 4 pack to drink, a 4 pack to cellar and a 4 pack to trade.

Giovannilucano likes this.
  23. Providence

Providence Feb 24, 2010 Rhode Island

I wish I had the time to go to thirty stores.

Of course, if I had the time to go to 30 stores I would probably spend it differently than actually going to 30 stores.

Hermthegerm, LeRose, ufmj and 4 others like this.
  24. booyahachieved3

booyahachieved3 Sep 5, 2012 Kansas

[​IMG]
    Sunday-Tuesday, 8 different stops, the MILF was actually harder to find initially but the KBS supply dried up QUICKLY.

25. stayclean

stayclean Mar 17, 2012 Wisconsin

Well, you see, something about America, capitalism, free market, entitled Democrats, drink local, blah blah blah.

26. dar482

dar482 Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

Cry me a river.

27. fmccormi

fmccormi Oct 24, 2010 Maine
    Beer Trader

I was hoping to get just a single four-pack, and figured it would be reasonable considering that this isn't a crazy-competitive market around here and Founders is still relatively new in the area (less than a year old), but it looks like it's already turning into a shit show. Just ridiculous. I might only be able to get one or two bottles, and I've heard that the local rep was actually advising store owners to sell them bottle by bottle and stuff like that, with a mark up, to limit large purchases.

I'd be happy with just one or two bottles, but knowing that it's all going to be at a deliberate markup? To be honest, it kinda puts a sour taste in my mouth.

herrburgess likes this.
  28. Mag00n

Mag00n Nov 21, 2008 New York

kbs isnt a whale. Over 1000 gots. Not even sure if aquatic in nature.

tronto, Jake1605 and josephwa like this.
  29. tofuspeedstar

tofuspeedstar Jul 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

not in texas :( i want to try it again..

30. jmwildwest

jmwildwest Mar 10, 2013 Florida

Sounds like the chances of any making it to Florida is slim to nil.

beerindaglass likes this.
  31. Hanzo

Hanzo Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I have to drive to four stores at just the right times to try and build a four pack, sorry you can't get a case this year though brah.

32. keithmurray

keithmurray Oct 7, 2009 New York

I agree with you on this. Fucking animals - the distributors, grimy ass beer shops with the markups you alluded to (technically not supposed to break up 4paks) and mindless people who buy them just to trade. I'll be lucky to score a damn 4pk. The a*** store near me might be getting some in but knowing them, they will mark the shit up to $40/4pack. Damn dirty thieves!

fmccormi likes this.
  33. gzarroli

gzarroli May 26, 2006 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Nice, coincidentally was heading there in about an hour - you think it will last? or is it already gone?

34. RayOhioFelton

RayOhioFelton May 24, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Ohio is being weird...the grocery store handed me 2 today but the bottle shops have none and another grocery store isn't getting it till next week...my trip to grand rapids for the Thursday release was well worth the trip even with the cost of a four pack for the ticket.

Good luck finding this guy! I had one Sunday and it was a great experience. Win or lose its entertaining reading everyone's whining, haha.

35. riemster

riemster Mar 17, 2011 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Picking up a case on Thursday. Like I said in another thread I got extremely lucky because only 2 people, including me, have called this store and it happens to be only 5 minutes from me. MuahahahaHA. I have a 4 pack waiting for me today, but the store is 150 minutes away. They are holding it till Friday if I choose to officially be a hoarder.

36. Stevedore

Stevedore Nov 16, 2012 Wisconsin
    Beer Trader

How are you all people picking up entire cases of this stuff? Geezus!

KhakCane likes this.
  37. SerialTicker

SerialTicker Jun 18, 2012 Michigan

Founders ought to be ashamed. My bottle shop got THREE FOUR PACKS, and that's it ... and it's a bottle shop that tends to get plenty of limited release beers. It's fucked up that Founders has so little interest in spreading the wealth of their beer in their home state.

I should be more pissed, but I'm not a big fan of stouts. I still would have liked to try it.

38. zachary80

zachary80 Nov 29, 2009 Indiana

I was able to get one bottle last year and hopefully two today. I thought they increased production significantly the last couple years? I heard that all of Fort Wayne only got three cases this year

39. jmarce

jmarce May 15, 2011 Connecticut

I'm guessing whatever increase in production there was is probably being cancelled out by the larger area of distribution this year

40. Northlax3

Northlax3 Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Founders themselves have little to no say in which stores will get their beer in the current 3-tier distribution system in America.

Having said that, I wish they did.

zach60614 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe