Why are my beers flat?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by DieHippieDie, Jan 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DieHippieDie

DieHippieDie Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2012 North Carolina

Ok, so I just plugged up my small fridge in the garage a couple weeks ago. It didn't get below freezing much (if any) when I first plugged it up and the beers I put in there tasted fine. This week, however, (as the whole east coast will agree) it got cold as a witch's tit, probably below the fridge's temp. When I popped the top on the brews I heard no "fssss" sound and they were pretty flat. The turbo cold temps might have something to do with it but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. Did the liquid expand and the glass shrink (thus breaking a "seal")? I'm fairly new to craft beers so don't judge me too much! :p Also you Minnesotan's try not to hit me with your -40 degree weather up there either! 0 degrees is cold for us down here!!

It pisses me off because I had an Ola Dubh 12 AND 16 in there as well as Racer X among several others.
    Thanks dudes and dudettes.

2. EastHarris

EastHarris Initiate (130) Jan 9, 2012 Pennsylvania

Sounds like your beers got plugged up dude.

3. Mothergoose03

Mothergoose03 Poo-Bah (1,608) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Subscriber

The most logical answer is that the colder the beer is, the better the CO2 stays in suspension, thus less of a hiss when the cap is removed.

jdauria likes this.
  4. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,485) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

Quite possibly the case, as big beers can get quite cold before freezing. (Though technically the CO2 (most of it) is in solution rather than suspension.)

Mothergoose03 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe