Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Why are my beers flat?

Discussion in 'Home Bar' started by DieHippieDie, Jan 8, 2014.

1. DieHippieDie

Ok, so I just plugged up my small fridge in the garage a couple weeks ago. It didn't get below freezing much (if any) when I first plugged it up and the beers I put in there tasted fine. This week, however, (as the whole east coast will agree) it got cold as a witch's tit, probably below the fridge's temp. When I popped the top on the brews I heard no "fssss" sound and they were pretty flat. The turbo cold temps might have something to do with it but I wanted to know if anyone else has had this problem. Did the liquid expand and the glass shrink (thus breaking a "seal")? I'm fairly new to craft beers so don't judge me too much! :p Also you Minnesotan's try not to hit me with your -40 degree weather up there either! 0 degrees is cold for us down here!!

It pisses me off because I had an Ola Dubh 12 AND 16 in there as well as Racer X among several others.
    Thanks dudes and dudettes.

2. EastHarris

Sounds like your beers got plugged up dude.

3. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

The most logical answer is that the colder the beer is, the better the CO2 stays in suspension, thus less of a hiss when the cap is removed.

jdauria likes this.
  4. VikeMan

Beer Trader

Quite possibly the case, as big beers can get quite cold before freezing. (Though technically the CO2 (most of it) is in solution rather than suspension.)

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe