Why can't more breweries start making a hand sanitizers?

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by wponz, Mar 20, 2020.

1. wponz

wponz Initiate (98) Dec 22, 2005 California

Old time lurker here. Why can't more breweries, like Three Daughters in Florida, start making a hand sanitizers? It would greatly alleviate the current problem of it not being available almost everywhere (and the hoarders selling them at $20 a pop). It could be distributed to medical personnel, first responders and and finally the general public.

BrewHound601 and GreenBayBA like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

Washing your hands works so what’s the issue? Breweries are not manufacturers of these products and should not be.

3. kodt

kodt Defender (609) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

A number of distilleries are making hand sanitizer now.

4. BrewHound601

BrewHound601 Initiate (51) Jan 30, 2020

kodt link please

GreenBayBA likes this.
  5. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (224) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

has to be at least 120 proof. So only distilleries can do this. 3 daughters must have a distillery?

6. eppCOS

eppCOS Meyvn (1,177) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

7. GreenBayBA

GreenBayBA Meyvn (1,162) Aug 30, 2015 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

My uncle used to home-brew a good barrel-aged "a hand sanitizers."

8. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Like people have said, a number of distilleries across the country have taken up the government requested action of producing needed hand sanitizer for the country. It needs to be high in alcohol, at least 60% abv, something that distillers and not brewers are used to achieving.

If you can find the materials, a mix of about 2/3 rubbing alcohol and 1/3 aloe vera has been said to potentially be effective for homemade sanitizer.

#8 StoutElk_92, Mar 20, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  9. Steve_Studnuts

Steve_Studnuts Disciple (391) Apr 21, 2015 Pennsylvania

If you're really that concerned you could just drink a vodka and aloe juice cocktail and then piss on your hands.

10. honkey

honkey Zealot (583) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry Brewery Trader

Very few breweries can distill spirits. The best we could do would be to provide distilleries with beer to distill, but that would be stupid considering how quickly you can ferment far cheaper, more readily available ingredients in cheap bulk containers.

11. wponz

wponz Initiate (98) Dec 22, 2005 California

I just love everyone's sense of humor. BTW - 3Daughters is only a brewery and not a distillery. I would love to try and make my own hand sanitizer but Rubbing Alcohol is also being horded. Only Bacardi 151 and Everclear (out of the bottle) would work. as they are 120 proof and higher.
    Be safe everyone, and if you can, stay home.

officerbill and GreenBayBA like this.
  12. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,359) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Seems like a Jim Beam kinda thing, there’s a huge difference between brewing and distilling spirits. A half gallon of Col Reskies Vodka is pretty cheap, if the abv doesn’t kill the bugs the sheer crappiness of this swill should.

13. Todd

Todd Founder (5,941) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

14. honkey

honkey Zealot (583) Aug 28, 2010 Arizona
    Society Industry Brewery Trader

if they’re making sanitizer, it must be from isopropyl alcohol that would normally be used for sterilization or surfaces. If they’re making it from PAA the way I’ve seen some breweries doing, that’s incredibly irresponsible

Peach63, GreenBayBA and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  15. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (5,404) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

You are as qualified and equipped to make this in your garage as a brewery is.

Peach63, Alefflicted, KRug and 2 others like this.
  16. BrewsOverHoes

BrewsOverHoes Savant (912) Nov 17, 2013 Georgia
    Society Trader

Not a brewery, but Old Fourth Ward Distillery is making it for the Atlanta area. Good group of folks offering to those who need it. Awesome stuff.

Our funeral home reached out to them regarding some, but got the same message. “Bring water bottle sized bottles; we will fill it up.”

beertunes, russpowell and cavedave like this.
  17. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Poo-Bah (1,778) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Society Trader

My company tried to place a very large order for hand sanitizer. The manufacturer said they had plenty of the product but not enough plastic bottles to package it. Be great for breweries/distilleries to make it. But if they have nothing to put it in, it's not that helpful.

beertunes and russpowell like this.
  18. LarryV

LarryV Poo-Bah (1,660) Jun 13, 2001 Massachusetts
    Society

The rubbing alcohol you find in the stores is typically 70%, for it to meet the CDC's recommendation of 60%, it needs to be 91% isopropyl alcohol at the least when diluted with the Aloe Vera in those proportions. I was going to make my own but I couldn't find any Isopropyl alcohol that was strong enough.

19. Coronaeus

Coronaeus Meyvn (1,028) Apr 21, 2014 Ontario (Canada)
    Trader

At least four or five of the craft distilleries up here are making it. Too many to link to now.

beertunes, VoxRationis and cavedave like this.
  20. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,935) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Was gonna say the same thing, pretty sure by next week they all will be doing it here too, no sense naming them all.

beertunes and ElmerLovejoy like this.
  21. kodt

kodt Defender (609) Mar 6, 2013 Illinois

3 Floyds is also making hand sanitizer now through their distillery.

dukeandduke and StoutElk_92 like this.
  22. lightman1

lightman1 Initiate (87) Oct 19, 2013 Arkansas
    Trader

I think its a great idea if they have the capability. It they were to sell it it would boost their sales during whats probably a tough time. If they donate it or sell it at cost it would be a service to the community.

I see where Rock Town Distillery in Little Rock is doing this.

russpowell likes this.
  23. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (9,885) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

There is a need to be sure not everyone has access to running water & soap all day ( First Responders, people on road & such ). Here's to those filling some of the gap.

BuffaloBill12, beertunes and Lare453 like this.
  24. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,408) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

They do not. Dont need a distillery, it’s not consumable.

25. Lare453

Lare453 Meyvn (1,408) Feb 1, 2012 Florida
    Trader

I do not have a sink in my car nor do I have access for many hours a day.

beertunes and StoutElk_92 like this.
  26. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Poo-Bah (1,936) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Society Trader

I just spritz my hands with some Everclear and am good to go. :stuck_out_tongue:

27. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (153) Dec 25, 2015 New York

I guess this qualifies them as "Essential" which is being required in a lot of states.

StoutElk_92 likes this.
  28. nc41

Society Trader

I’d settle for breweries making better beers on average.

officerbill, Peach63 and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  29. spersichilli

spersichilli Aspirant (224) Apr 26, 2018 Florida
    Trader

I mean to get alcohol of a high enough proof you need to distill it... breweries don’t have distilling equipment for the most part

30. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (776) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Blame the hand sanitizer run on the damn teens who are stuck at home with nothing to do making Purell and Cokes all day.:wink:

31. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (2,578) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

Might just have to lower the ratio of aloe vera and use more alcohol, or even just straight 70% alcohol diluted with a tiny bit of aloe or even water if it doesn’t burn. I haven’t tried it myself, just saw a report to that effect saying it should be at least 60% alcohol, which in a 2/3-1/3 ration would mean 99% alcohol.

I say try every local small corner store, convenience shop gas station etc before going to the big giant popular corporations like Walmart and Target, because everyone will be at those stores.

32. Peach63

Peach63 Disciple (365) Jul 17, 2019 New York
    Society

Yup. Distillers in my area are doing this.

33. nc41

Society Trader

Auto parts stores, like Auto Zone etc.

beertunes, russpowell and StoutElk_92 like this.
  34. VoxRationis

VoxRationis Poo-Bah (2,161) Dec 11, 2016 New York
    Society Trader

Hand sanitizers require an alcohol content of 60% or higher to be effective against COVID-19. Those levels of alcohol are basically the province of distilleries, not breweries. Brewers would need specialized equipment that most of them simply do not have. Focus on supporting brewers for what they can and do do.

35. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

The aloe is to help prevent drying the skin, etc.

Use isopropyl / rubbing alcohol full strength followed by a aloe-based skin cream. Unless the skin cream is itself contaminated, same effect, but with the full-strength alcohol to kill the buggers.

36. DISKORD

DISKORD Devotee (435) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

Because breweries are not distilleries.

beertunes and spersichilli like this.
  37. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,738) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

"In response to COVID-19, 3 Daughters Brewing has begun bottling 4-ounce bottles of hand sanitizer and will be making them available to patrons of the brewery in St. Petersburg for free starting Thursday.

“We wanted to look for a way our large brewing capacity could help the community” said Mike Harting, Owner of 3 Daughters Brewing. “We are all in this together and this is an opportunity to give back to people who may not have been able to find it in stores.”

The brewery is one of the largest independently owned breweries in the state of Florida and has enormous capacity to brew beer, cider and hard seltzer. They also have a sophisticated lab with a TTB certified chemist and plenty of sanitary cleaning agents. When added with a thickening agent, the final result is a sanitizer that can be bottled and offered to the community." --- https://3dbrewing.com/3-daughters-brewing-offering-hand-sanitizer-to-help-keep-public-safe/

They are not brewing it. They're using their sanitary cleaning agents.

38. woodchipper

woodchipper Meyvn (1,174) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society

Hand sanitizer only needs to be used as a "portable" solution or where there is no sink. Soap and water work best. The membrane that surrounds the 27 proteins that make up Covid19 is oily and disolves instantly in contact with soap destroying the thing. If you're in doubt, Google it and read from a RELIABLE source.

39. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Crusader (776) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Bonus points to whoever can figure out what fibers to add to spent mash and then come up with a roller and baking system for it so these breweries can convert to the hot industry of craft toilet paper.

beergoot, DISKORD, JrGtr and 5 others like this.