Dismiss Notice
Subscribe to BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99! (Limited time offer, US delivery only)

Why do all "Make your own six pack" Selections Suck?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by sportscrazed2, Dec 7, 2017.

1. sportscrazed2

sportscrazed2 Initiate (195) Mar 29, 2010 Indiana
    Beer Trader

I want to try more beer but, don't have too much money. I have $20 in my wallet and that's my budget for the week. I want to try more but it's better to buy good beer (Zombie Dust is a 10 minute drive from me and only costs $10 tax free) than to pick 6 off a shelf when there might only be 5 good ones. Is it just the store selling returned crap?

2. madtrixter787

madtrixter787 Aspirant (267) Oct 15, 2009 Virginia

It's just whatever breaks in the back or from 6 packs that other people have already taken one beer out of. It's just a way for the grocery store to not lose as much $$ on breakage/theft.

3. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (331) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

plus the sales people throwing the last 2 6pks of 'xyz summer' in so they have somewhere to put 'xyz oktoberfest/pumpkin'

CrimeDog, Jaycase, rypkr and 2 others like this.
  4. rgordon

rgordon Crusader (733) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

It's a crap shoot, pure and simple. Buy your tried and true favorites. Still, I have seen some great discount bins, but stick to age-worthy beers, with full fills.

5. Tamarack

Tamarack Initiate (116) Sep 22, 2016 Massachusetts

You could just go to the Grand Rapids Craft Beer Cellar, where everything in the store is sold as singles :wink:

Lahey, GuyFawkes, BeerPugz and 4 others like this.
  6. NeverMeant

NeverMeant Initiate (118) Oct 27, 2016 Arizona

A few stores have started doing that out here as well, at the same price it would've been as part of a 4/6-pack. Easier to manage than a limited BYO 6-pack, and they can fit twice as many different beers on the shelves single-file.

LuskusDelph and Tamarack like this.
  7. AtillaTheHank

AtillaTheHank Initiate (112) Sep 3, 2017 Connecticut

Yeah generally its because of breakage or theft that beers will end up in a singles section. Actually managing a real make your own 6pk section can be a nightmare logistically depending on your inventory system and based on my experience is where good beers go to sit on the shelve and go out of code.

FonyBones and rgordon like this.
  8. SpiderMilkshake

SpiderMilkshake Initiate (120) Nov 25, 2017 Virginia

In my experience "make your own six packs" out of even regular ol' Kroger's or Food Lions have been pretty nice (might have just been lucky and have stores who happen to put up a lot of decent beers for those, rather than just the really crusty old ones they're trying to get rid of). In my college town there was a larger Kroger's which had plenty of good choices (at least 20 good ones at any given time) to pick from at $6 per 6 pack. Needless to say, that was where all my beers for parties came from.

It might have everything to do with your area. I think part of the reason mixed 6 packs here are so good is it's Virginia--major craft beer zone with a few affluent patches scattered in there.

The fancier option of trying a purveyor with mixed six packs is probably worth it if all you're finding is junk. It's more expensive but I've been able to find several where I could get a four-pack of my choice for under $10, and a six pack of my choice for under $15. Plus most purveyors will sell singly, if you really want a good beer but only have $1.50-$3.50 or so to spare.

9. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (1,700) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Eh, mix six racks get a bad rep. If the selection is bad, then the store is more or less attempting to stifle any money lose on broken packages, or old beer.

Around here, there are a few stores where you can walk in with $10 and walk out with 6 decent or above beers. Depending on what night you go, you could even request they load the mix six shelf with x, y, and z - as long as the 6 packs that contain them are $10 or $11 or under.

So patronize the shops with good mix six shelves, and avoid those that scramble to sell old beer. That's exactly what I do. Even if I can get five good beers and one okay beer, that's still a fine mix in the summer. It just means I have five beers to drink, and one to boil the brats in.

10. rgordon

This is the closest to the truth that I've read yet. To manage a real mix your own six pack option would be very labor intensive. Perhaps making the margins extra special could make it worth it at retail.

dcotom and Harrison8 like this.
  11. cmiller4642

cmiller4642 Aspirant (278) Aug 17, 2013 West Virginia
    Beer Trader

There's a store in my town that does everything in a make your own 6

You can do Backwoods Bastard, Ten Fidy, etc...

12. teal

teal Initiate (75) May 3, 2012 Wisconsin

Same - they list the pack price and individual on all of them. Course they don't leave one single bottle in a carrier on the shelf - those get moved to a section to the cooler and the carriers thrown on a pile.

rgordon and cmiller4642 like this.
  13. Alefflicted

Alefflicted Initiate (105) Dec 2, 2017 Minnesota

Here at my store I'm in charge of the make a six. I am constantly rotating and keeping everything fresh. You can buy basically anything we have as a single, and my customers love it. If your ever in Sartell MN, drop into the West Side Liquor, you will not be disappointed.

14. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

15. tzieser

tzieser Champion (856) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't say "all" mix-a-six'ers suck...one time I scored 6 fresh lagunitas sumpin' extras for $8.99, well below the typical sticker price.

That being said though, the selection usually does kinda suck. It's more for people who just want to try a few different craft beers without getting a mixed 12 pack. I very rate venture to that corner of the beer aisle

TriggerFingers likes this.
  16. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,238) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Supporter Beer Trader

That's not been my experience. In Fort Collins or even Casper. No returned "crap for sure. Tis a shame that's true for anyone...

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,065) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

That has been my experience at the stores I shop that do mix-a-six: that is where the old beers go.

Cheers!

18. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Zealot (546) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Actually I know of a few stores that have a killer selection of singles that you can mix n match. Some are better than others. Some let you actually break apart a 4/6 pack to get a single. Some are more expensive than others but it is what it is.
    Great way to try new beers without committing to a full 4/6er of the same beer.
    Also many of the shops around here have pretty fresh bottles available, minus Meijer and little ma n pop stores.

CHEERS

#18 drunkenmess, Dec 8, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
    rgordon, drtth and Harrison8 like this.
  19. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,218) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

Most of the time the selection and freshness do suck, but I have one local that'll break up anything into singles. I just go there if I'm looking to try a bunch of new stuff.

20. rgordon

This is kinda why I always thought bombers served a good purpose- a bit more expensive ounce-wise, and often the only option for the offering. It's still just about two beers, and then you know.

drunkenmess and Bitterbill like this.
  21. Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas

Best_Enjoyed_In_Texas Disciple (328) Aug 24, 2015 Texas
    Beer Trader

If $10 will get you a sixer of ZD - I'd stick with that and not even concern myself with singles. :grin:

22. kool-aid

kool-aid Initiate (183) Apr 3, 2017 Vermont

Here, it's legal to break up a sixer or four pack to buy individually. More often than not, the first pack of beer in the cooler is missing one (unless the beer is really really good, and then people buy the whole pack). Sometimes it's a cue that it's a beer to try before you fully buy.

Because of this, all the mix-a-six options are a giant beer graveyard. All of the local chain supermarkets have one and they all suck horribly. But it is a great source to find a cheap individual cooking beer/cider, if you're into that sort of thing.

FonyBones and bbtkd like this.
  23. guinness77

guinness77 Crusader (760) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Most of the time, around here at least, they're trying to get rid if old inventory.

24. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,483) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Returned beer? No. There's a lot of places that let you split beers, but the downside is you lose control of the product, if it's not bottle dated there's no,telling. I'd opt for the Zombie Dust personally.

25. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

But, then all I'd ever be drinking was zombie dust. I want to try new stuff without breaking the bank. I don't get why each can or bottle can't have a individual bar code on it and ring up as 1/6 or 1/4 the price of a 6/4 pack? Grocery stores that sell coca cola bottles in six packs also sell them for a few bucks at the checkout line to entice thirsty people. How hard could it be?

nc41 likes this.
  26. Squire123

Squire123 Poo-Bah (1,603) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

Guess I'm fortunate. One of my locals (arguably the best in the North East quadrant of our State) sells virtually all their craft beers (also best selection in the quadrant) as singles and our local family owned grocery store (who has the best prices) saves on labor by having the reps stock the pick a six shelves. In the second store turnover is so high the singles are just as fresh as regular aisles. So my only problem is how much I can carry.

27. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,421) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

This. The only time I've ever seen ZD, it was $17.99/6. I paid that without so much as a second thought. At $10, I'd have filled up the trunk.

28. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (645) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Just grabbed a mix 6 tonight. $11.99

3 expedition stouts
    2 Java stouts......forgot it's not made anymore, October 2016 date but still drinking ok
    1 coffee oatmeal stout 16oz can from a local

This place has some good bottles now and then

They had BBA ten fidy at $12.99 too. I passed on that

Enjoy

29. dcotom

dcotom Meyvn (1,421) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

If I could get PseudoSue for $10 for a six-pack of 12-ounce bottles, I'd probably drink it all the time. I think it's great that you can get ZD in this format.

30. nc41

nc41 Meyvn (1,483) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Well you could cheat a bit. Places like total wine you can mix and match, you can take beers from fresh sixers to do this as long as they're not encased. Down side is you pay a premium on the mix and match, they lose QC and dating, you pay for the variety. It's not really cost effective if your blowing your budget on a 6er, like $12 worth.

31. sportscrazed2

Beer Trader

I live down the street. Honestly surprised they haven't raised their prices at the pub. So many inferior beers try and sell for $11-12. I honestly should just get a pickup truck and drive to beer events where they don't distribute and trade for other good stuff. Or sell it for enough to cover the cost of gas

dcotom likes this.
  32. SMH_NWI

SMH_NWI Disciple (394) Jan 8, 2015 Texas

Yeah! Buy single beer bottles that have been sitting in the light for weeks and months.

33. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,100) Sep 15, 2014 New York

This is major source of frustration for me, too, because I like trying new beers all the time, and I just want to buy one bottle/can of a given beer. Make your own six packs are a godsend, but only if the selection isn't terrible. The problem is that they usually are terrible.
    From what I've been told, it's partly because distributors control what gets put on the racks, so they end up choosing malt beverage bullcrap like Twisted Tea, Smirnoff, Mike's Hard Lemonade, or hard cider. The other problem is that most of the beer is outdated stuff. People in the know aren't going to buy these year-old IPAs, so they all sit on the shelf and cause clutter. It's just so frustrating to me because I would prefer to buy singles of most beers, unless it's a tried-and-true favorite. :rage:

Junior likes this.
  34. Junior

Junior Disciple (311) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I am lucky too, in that the store I go to the most allows you to break up anything into singles without an up charge.

The problems I find are 1) places that do mixed six packs for $10 or whatever are just trying to get rid of old or slow moving stock and 2) places that sell singles sell them at a significant premium.

35. surfcaster

surfcaster Defender (630) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Supporter Beer Trader

Not cool--that "cheating" hoses someone else who didn't have the time to see if all 6 the same. I rarely go to a TW but man that would be a bummer for someone else.

OP, if ZD is available readily for 10$ a six, you're not missing out! If you must, find another BA to split something else and share that!

jmdrpi likes this.
  36. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Zealot (510) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Depends on the store. We have a few that are pretty lame for selection. Kind of a dribs and drabs, and you really have to watch the dates because it is a mix of new and old product. Single sku for the 6 pack. Others are like making a dream team of what's currently around, and the sku's on each bottle are scanned.

37. seth27

seth27 Initiate (155) Mar 16, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

The giant eagle by my house occasionally has some pretty good stuff in the mix six. I usually pop in once a week and if I can find 3 worth getting I'll fill the rest of it out with old standbys or a couple malt-ternatives for the wife.
    I've gotten stuff like Old Stock, FIS, Plead the 5th, and plenty of Weyerbacher's high ABV stuff from there so it's worth the $12.99 every once in a while.

38. Lucular

Lucular Meyvn (1,330) Jun 20, 2014 Maryland
    Beer Trader

$2/beer for six beers...sounds like you'll be drinking a lot of AALs this week to get your average cost under $1/beer!

39. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,060) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I would say if you watch what you buy it can be a good deal. Avoid the old ones and you can usually get 6 decent beers. Depending on the store also you may get some decent stuff. It all depends on who is stocking and if they are wise to what they are doing. Some stores have people who just move old product and those I avoid, but other stores put out some good items.

drtth and Squire123 like this.
  40. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (645) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Correct. I do treat myself every once in a bit. I was buying food and looked at the mix section and when I saw the expeditions I had to do it.

Enjoy

zid, tlema1 and Lucular like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.