Why do beers with high abv have no head

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by ThrewRedButter, Jun 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThrewRedButter

ThrewRedButter Crusader (745) Aug 29, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

Title says it all. May seem like a newbie question, but I don't have an answer. Would appreciate the input. Cheers!

Roxie_B likes this.
  2. schnarr84

schnarr84 Devotee (491) Nov 27, 2011 Alberta (Canada)
    Trader

When conditioning a high-alcohol beer, the yeast may have trouble fermenting the sugars since high levels of alcohol inhibit yeast. Hence, most big beers exhibit a low level of carbonation. Kegged beers can, of course, be carbonated to any level desired. Most big beers, however, are lightly carbonated, containing less than 1.8 volumes of carbon dioxide (CO2) and thus a lack of head.

Roguer, ThrewRedButter and Roxie_B like this.
  3. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

If the beer has alcohol legs you can expect a faint head. Lovely difference.

DelMontiac and starkmarvelo like this.
  4. BourbonBarrelBeerBelly

BourbonBarrelBeerBelly Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2013 Washington

Not always true. Uncle Jacobs Stout produces a pretty substantial head considering. And it's 15%.

5. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Doesn't it also matter with how vigorous a pour you give your beer? I've stopped pouring down the side of the glass, and instead (nearly) pour vertical into the center of the glass, allowing the beer to form a head, wait until it subsides a bit, and finish pouring. My head usually lasts a while... regardless of abv or fg. Giggity.

6. utfiero

utfiero Initiate (0) Dec 20, 2013 Texas

Temperature also plays a part in developing a good head on a beer. I've noticed some beers have slight heads when very cold but bubble more as the temperature increases.

7. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (776) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

Don't legs have more to do with the humidity of the air around it and temperature of a liquid, not sugar content?

8. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (325) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Trader

I' ve read alcohol negatively impacts the amount of head so more alcohol gives less head.

drtth, readyski and Roguer like this.
  9. Roguer

Roguer Poo-Bah (4,229) Mar 25, 2013 Georgia
    Moderator Society Trader

It absolutely does matter which beer; some high ABV beers have fantastic heads. However, it is a trend, especially noticeable with barrel-aged beers.

I don't think I can approach it any better than @schnarr84 did, above, so I won't try. :slight_smile:

10. readyski

readyski Aspirant (247) Jun 4, 2005 California
    Trader

You're the man - that's how i'd do it

GEC_363 likes this.
  11. Cozuma

Cozuma Initiate (0) Feb 19, 2014 Indiana

try that with flat 12 upside down blonde and you'll have a glass of foam and will have gone just below the neck.

use of something like carapils or something with long strand sugar chains yeast can't eat will actually contribute to a stronger head, not a bigger head but a stronger one ie less like soda. A balance with those long chains and short chain sugars that can be fermented to create the CO2 has to be made as well. Extra yeast is usually pitched for HG beers in order to get the proper carb level since they sit for quite some time usually and the yeast becomes dormant and less viable.

LehighAce06 likes this.
  12. superspak

superspak Poo-Bah (31,645) May 5, 2010 Michigan
    Moderator Society Trader

Yep it is definitely low carbonation, not ABV. Dogfish Head force carbs 120 min, and this was the result of the last bottle I drank:

[​IMG]

was a 2011 as well.

MichPaul and Roguer like this.
  13. mxracercam

mxracercam Initiate (0) Jan 14, 2014 Florida

that's usually the only way i get it. :grinning:

14. bryreeves

bryreeves Initiate (39) Oct 25, 2012 Massachusetts

Belgian doubles, tipples and quads all have higher carbonation from bottles conditioning. Fresh yeast is added to the bottle before corking along with the priming sugar. The fresh, healthy and voracious yeast does the job. Head RETENTION however can more difficult especially with the high adjunct content. Use caramel malt, wheat or unmalted barley to boost head and retention...

15. Casey3236

Casey3236 Defender (681) Sep 14, 2012 Pennsylvania

I know alcohol is an emulsifier, a substance which reduces surface tension and makes it more difficult for a liquid to form bubbles. I don't know if that's a big contributor to the lack of head.

16. guinness77

guinness77 Meyvn (1,159) Jan 6, 2014 New York

Hell yeah. Pour, baby, pour

17. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,937) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well, it depends....

There isn't a single factor at work and over all effects are different for different styles.

Some things that make a difference.

Hops: when they are used and how many
    Temperature: ( as already mentioned) with colder producing less
    Strength of the pour: (as already mentioned )
    Degree of force carbonation: (as already mentioned)
    ABV: (as already mentioned) with higher ABV reducing the amount of bubbling and retention
    Amount of wheat in the grain bill: (some brewers will use, say, 5% to ensure adequate foaming)
    Etc., etc.

#17 drtth, Jun 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.